Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Starbreeze Game Cancelled
19. Re: Starbreeze Game Cancelled Mar 23, 2010, 19:22 DG

Hmmmm

It's easy to imagine a Syndicate game for PC and consoles. And iPhone. And Facebook. And...

A Bourne FPS, not so much.

Still a little room room for some optimism.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Game Budgets
14. Re: On Game Budgets Mar 23, 2010, 17:20 DG

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 16:42:
Every story I've heard about construction has always involved projecting a low bid to get the job, and then when it comes time for the final bill..."oh, we underestimated how much time/money it would take. It's actually going to be X + 50%"

tenders are not the same as budgets

Difference is
a) profit margin (what they add to their budgeted costs)
and either
b) thieving bastards deliberately misquote (whilst secretly having an accurate budget), or
c) client changes specification during the contract thus requiring variations
and much less significantly
d) actual error

Other than a) which is included upfront anyway, the biggie is nearly always c) [except in domestic & small biz situations where its b)]. It may be cited in the press as "cost overruns" or similar, but this is usually a result of the client either not demonstrating what they wanted originally, or their changing their minds. Prime example is the Scottish Parliament which they initially tried to pin on contractors & the architect until it was discovered that the MPs halted construction (with contractors having to sit about on the site) while they bickered about trivial elements of their own offices, like window seats.

The contractor often has to cover their actual errors, unless they can demonstrate shared responsibility.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2010, 17:05 DG

btw L4D2 is 1/2 price (at least in UK) until Friday 11pm GMT (4pm PDT). The Passing to come on Friday maybe?  

News Comments > On Game Budgets
5. Re: On Game Budgets Mar 23, 2010, 14:04 DG

Budgeting is an issue for any business, and I've only ever seen really good management do budgets properly.

Most folk make budgets as what they hope to achieve. That's not a budget, that's an (optimistic) target. Budgets are what you expect to achieve - you should hit it and any variance (good or bad) needs investigating because it shows you made a mistake somewhere. Was the budgeting poor or was control poor.

Making mistakes is human, not learning from them is stupidity.

News Comments > EA Prerelease Paid DLC Plans
11. Re: EA Prerelease Paid DLC Plans Mar 22, 2010, 16:46 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 15:49:
When Gabe Newell suggested this everyone said it was brilliant.
Well not everyone. But there was a key difference - in his suggestion you retained the risks and rewards of investing.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/100169

It does make a lot of sense. Until you remember how ridiculously unreliable game devs are, and how many scammers. On the other hand, Steam's regular discounts for pre-ordering is very much the same thing just with tighter restrictions.

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: ITV Mar 22, 2010, 13:34 DG

I'd be annoyed about this except that I can't remember the last time I watched anything on ITV, the trash TV channel. Even Five has quite a fair bit of watchable content now.

Roll on Hulu. Looking forward to having just 1 platform instead of iPlayer, 4OD and Demand Five - of which only iPlayer works properly and the other two I have to stream from www with crap quality.

Hopefully get UKTV (Dave, etc) on there too since that's owned by BBC + Virgin. Maybe some of the US channels and programming...

News Comments > Ubisoft Games off UK Steam, DRM Blameless
9. Re: Ubisoft Games off UK Steam, DRM Blameless Mar 20, 2010, 08:58 DG

Wolfen wrote on Mar 20, 2010, 03:04:
It does irk me that Valve allows other games to use there own DRM ontop of steams. Thats just lame.
Whether you wish to tolerate the DRM is your decision, not Valves.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 19, 2010, 14:05 DG

BobBob wrote on Mar 19, 2010, 13:38:
for me Investing in a computer or laptop is a wiser way to spend my money than on a console with a limited range of functionality.
Edited for accuracy.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2010, 18:45 DG

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 14:44:
The guy sounds like an ultra control freak to me.

The first word in TFA is an abbreviation for "Senator", so you are correct.

News Comments > F1 2010 Video Diary
5. Re: F1 2010 Video Diary Mar 18, 2010, 18:33 DG

No, real men are doing other things than browsing forums. Most of the few left probably in retirement homes trying not to think about the war.  

News Comments > ATI Driver Preview
6. Re: ATI Driver Preview Mar 18, 2010, 13:32 DG

This 10.3a preview version has a performance update for AvP and some Eyefinity stuff that didn't make it in for the WHQL version.

I assume they'll make it for 10.4.

Both versions of 10.3 are supposed to have big improvements on DiRT 2 and HAWX, and a lot of small (~3%) performance improvements elsewhere.

News Comments > F1 2010 Video Diary
3. Re: F1 2010 Video Diary Mar 18, 2010, 13:15 DG

I owe DG $1,000,000. Pay up Valcor.  

News Comments > Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork
16. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 19:35 DG

While the conclusion that owning a video game increases the time kids spend on such game might seem obvious, Weis, a clinical psychologist, said it was important to scientifically prove that conventional wisdom was correct.

Correct.

"Obvious" things are rather subjective. The gaming community spends a lot of time disputing things that some other people believe to be obvious, for example that gaming leads to violence. Once it was "obvious" that the sun spun around Earth.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: affordable' SSD Mar 16, 2010, 13:47 DG

About time they moved in this direction. SSD probably be my next upgrade but they kept increasing capacity while maintaining the too-high price.

40gb is cutting it a bit fine though, W7 apparently recommends 16gb reserved for itself and my Program Files (holding a fairly minimum amount of games) is 22gb, total 38gb.

I'd like to have room for another game on there plus say 15% margin so 50gb is what I'd be looking for. 64gb more comfortable and get better bandwidth on those so...

News Comments > What Killed Ensemble and Pandemic
11. Re: What Killed Ensemble and Pandemic Mar 15, 2010, 15:24 DG

Most companies fail due to... I'm not going to say bad management but rather management that isn't good enough. Taken to extremes it's always the fault of management - they should have foreseen any difficulties and resolved them.

Taking arguments to extremes often means taking it beyond plausibility however. Events are only so predictable, risks have to be weighed against the cost of countering them and people are only human.

I often think games companies are badly managed, only need to consider DRM fiascos and the fact that the only company who regularly talks with emphasis about putting the consumer first is Valve (some others do seem to value customers but there's no evidence that it's a clear, very important priority).

But I also think games companies require a hell of a lot from management. Funding is obviously a complete nightmare, it takes several years of high investment for extremely risky returns. Seriously, what kind of "expected" (i.e. vaguely hopeful) returns would you need to invest in a game development? Other than a relative few consistent hitters I'd want to double my money after 2/3 years or it's just not worth risking my cash.

Since games are each relatively unique project management must be very hard. Development is long term which leaves you open to a change in technology and market conditions, yet there isn't the economies of scale for major market research. Talent seems to be in abundance but, who can really and reliably deliver? I'm not sure the discipline is all there.

Why then is there such a lack of management expertise when the demands are so high? How many developers have any executives who come from a business background, rather than some other gaming-related job? I'd expect it to be gaming and other software heavy, but it's a bit extreme. Sometimes you need someone who can sit back and take a broad view with experience from other fields.

News Comments > NVIDIA's 3D Push
16. Re: NVIDIA's 3D Push Mar 15, 2010, 14:24 DG

BobBob wrote on Mar 15, 2010, 12:40:
This is superior to '3D':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

See part: 2:30
That is quite impressive and cheap to implement.

It's also what I'd look for in "3D", not merely eye-trickery illusion of a 3D image but actual function.

Still not convinced I won't get headaches and sore eyes from using any of the 3D for the amount of time I normally spend playing games and watching films etc.

News Comments > Newell on DRM
43. Re: Newell on DRM Mar 14, 2010, 12:07 DG

this is why we don't have the next half life game yet http://i.imgur.com/3rTii.jpg (via Digg)  

News Comments > Newell on DRM
18. Re: Newell on DRM Mar 13, 2010, 19:57 DG

PHJF wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 17:42:
For the past month my TF2 has, on top of the already rather significant load time, been crippled with ~30 seconds of "preparing to launch team fotress 2" bull shit. I have no idea what Steam is doing during that time.
Taking mine longer than usual with that also, though nothing like 30 seconds (maybe 5)

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments
27. Re: NVIDIA Responds to ATI PhysX Comments Mar 13, 2010, 09:09 DG

I prefer whatever gives me the best card for my money.

Brand loyalty is what they use to get people to make an inferior purchase. If it makes you happy or whatever then I guess it has some value but bear in mind with the actual product you're paying more for less.

As for fanbois, well that's just sad.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2010, 08:56 DG

Damn, I'd go for Batman but I just had to get my card cancelled after they noticed some bugger was trying to defraud my card (all the transactions cancelled, fortunately).  

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo