Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia
16. Re: StarCraft II Monthly Fees in Russia Apr 13, 2010, 16:01 DG

Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 12:57:
All the people swearing up and down they were being discriminated against by Valve for being "smart consumers?"
Well in their defence it clearly was price discrimination.

Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 12:57:
Kind of like people that don't understand why Africa gets drugs nearly free, subsidized by the prices paid here.
Kind of, but not quite the same thing; for one this can be seen as a quite effective (if involuntary) charitable donation of sorts, whereas subsidising entertainment in a second-world country is a rather less charitable endeavour. Secondly the drugs companies fought this but were forced into it by the WTO.

Not that I'm necessarily against it; Russians getting cheaper games might generate more revenue for a developer and hence lead to more investment in games for me to enjoy. But if any person is being treated less favourably than another it is quite reasonable for them to be sour about it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Akamai Network Video Deals
4. Re: Akamai Network Video Deals Apr 12, 2010, 14:15 DG

kxmode wrote on Apr 12, 2010, 10:58:
This is how television dies because when you watch shows online you can't skip the commercials.
I usually tab out to Blues or wherever.

Some providers are bloody cheeky though, like UK channel 5 where usually a double-click returns you from full screen but when an ad is running this opens the advertisers website.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2010, 13:53 DG

That Linux article is wrong on every count in my experience.  

News Comments > Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s)
14. Re: Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s) Apr 8, 2010, 16:38 DG

Er what? The game's not free, my licence fee is paying for it.

I don't know why they aren't doing this through BBC Worldwide which would allow them to charge for it.

I wouldn't be so surprised if it is free in UK and has a small charge overseas; though the balance of probabilities is against it.

Oh well, qpq for Americas Army I suppose.

News Comments > On Games and Dental Health
11. Re: On Games and Dental Health Apr 5, 2010, 16:37 DG

Longswd wrote on Apr 5, 2010, 15:30:
What's even more interesting is this demonstrates that researchers still do not understand the logical fallacy being committed in that correlation is not causation.

Well... TFA doesn't necessarily give an accurate description of what the research claimed. When they start quoting the researcher, the quotes are all about snacking being the causation.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2010, 16:32 DG

TBH I thought the trees looked bad, the "curves" clearly weren't, the track and grass were just hi-res textures and they made the usual mistake of having a bright day while the shadows make it look like the sun's getting ready to set (in fairness the shakycam prob making this look worse than it is).

The cars, and the lighting on them was impressive, and you probably wouldn't give a damn about the above stuff when playing anyway.

News Comments > On Games and Dental Health
5. Re: On Games and Dental Health Apr 5, 2010, 13:56 DG

BobBob wrote on Apr 5, 2010, 11:11:
Is this cause and effect or correlation? I can see it being correlation considering that a great deal of gamers are morbidly obese and unhealthy.
Ah but in modern times correlation does imply causation! Though here they're also confusing associated behaviour for causation, and doing the usual trick of taking shortcuts that don't exist:

1. Playing games sometimes involves consuming more sugary snacks which can lead to worse teeth

becomes

2. Playing games sometimes involves consuming more sugary snacks which can lead to worse teeth

becomes

3. Playing games sometimes involves consuming more sugary snacks which can lead to worse teeth

Note though that the above is usually presented in the reverse - TFA is a good example of this. The very first line is "HOURS spent playing on computer games could be as damaging for children’s teeth as their overall health and fitness" while about 2/3 of the way down it's looking more similar to my first step: "The study ... suggested dietary habits leading to decay are associated with screen activities and that computer games, if associated with increased snacking are associated with decay experience."

Then in the next paragraph it's admitted that controlling sugary snacks is the resolution and really the only way games are involved is that some people snack at the same time.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 29, 2010, 13:46 DG

while [Steam] doesn't require a constant connection, it's severely hampered without one, thanks to large game downloads and Steam Friends
This makes no sense. The only thing that doesn't work is the benefits of Steam. This is like saying a completely DRM-free game is severely hampered without a constant connection because it's difficult to obtain updates and chat on MSN, Vent or whatever.

consider the new service that is going to revolutionize gaming: OnLive.
Putting aside the confidence in OnLive that isn't shared everywhere, OnLive is a completely different service, where your broadband connection is pretty much the equivalent of a gaming console. I don't expect to be able to play PS3 games without a PS3. It's a technical limitation inherent in the platform, not one arbitrarily introduced wholly in the name of profit at the expense of the user, and is negated by very clear benefits arising from it.

electrical outlets can also be hard to find, so is gaming while traveling really an issue?
Firstly, outlets are quite common anywhere I might want to game, far moreso than Wifi. Secondly, outlets are far more commonly free to use. Thirdly, electrical outlets are vastly more reliable than Wifi especially those found on the move. Fourth, the need for an outlet is an inherent requirement and one imposed by my hardware, not one arbitrarily introduced wholly in the name of profit at the expense of the user.

increasing ubiquity of internet access in planes, trains, and maybe one day
Increasingly.... Maybe one day... But not yet. Maybe this argument will work "one day".

Valve's DRM implementation created headaches for owners of Half-Life 2. Since then, server hiccups have created minor problems and delays for users trying to download major updates and even play online games.
Problems which they since worked on and substantially resolved. Problems which are usually now straightforward to work around. "playing online games"... seriously?

But such problems are rudimentary when compared to the Xbox 360 RROD.
WTF? What a ludicrous point. That's a hardware issue, a console hardware issue at that. They also took steps to resolve that including taking a massive hit on extended warranties - not a problem arbitrarily introduced wholly in the name of profit at the expense of the user.

What an absurd article. So bad I'm confused, I can't fathom that anyone capable of writing is so stupid as to believe in it. It's too dumb fort someone to be playing devils advocate (a stance I can respect). If Ubisoft had paid them to write it, it's so dumb even Ubisoft would have pulled it. That leaves intentionally writing a dumb article to generate hits from people saying how dumb it is - trolling.

Very tempting to block that site out of my existence with a "this site is just too crap" 404.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: wow Mar 28, 2010, 17:06 DG

We've finally got people back in cinemas! Gouge, gouge, gouge while you can!

Tbh cinema tickets aren't too bad as long as you don't buy any of the laughably overpriced crap while you're there.

21. Re: Awesome Possum Mar 28, 2010, 07:51 DG

PHJF, Britain's got your back bro. A street with a turning point at the end is a cul-de-sac. If you believe the Wiki "court" is a more recognised term in the US than "cove". However it also says UK English common terms are "dead end, close, no through road" the former and latter of which are more generalised: a cul-de-sac has a turning point while you'd probably say dead end if there is no turning point.

Apparently it's from Catalan (NE Spain) and means "bottom of the bag", also befitting this conversation

News Comments > GameStop Used Game Lawsuit
93. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 27, 2010, 15:00 DG

Ray Ban wrote on Mar 27, 2010, 14:56:
By that logic you could pirate every game you play, give a sum of money to the charity/business/person of your choice and say "Hey! Somebody got money for this game! There's no blood on my hands!"

Um, you might want to notice you quoted me saying "hen you buy and sell used games, the makers and publishers of the games got money from the original sale"

So yeah, if I pirated a game then paid the publishers and developers for it anyway then no I wouldn't feel bad about it.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2010, 14:47 DG

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 20:54:
simple remove the batteries from a tv remote (or any other remote device in your household that is used frequently) and watch what happens. I'd bet you money the very last thing they check is the batteries.

Well I'd worry if they did do something else after checking the batteries...

News Comments > GameStop Used Game Lawsuit
90. Re: GameStop Used Game Lawsuit Mar 27, 2010, 14:29 DG

Bludd wrote on Mar 26, 2010, 12:25:
I think selling and buying used games is worse than piracy where no money changes hands. When you buy and sell used games, the makers and publishers of the games don't get a dime, but someone else does thus profiting on someone else's labor. When you pirate a game without any money change, nobody gets any money.
So you're trolling or what?

When you pirate a game without any money change, nobody gets any money. When you buy and sell used games, the makers and publishers of the games got money from the original sale.

When you buy/sell a used game, you exercise a legal right. When you pirate a game, you break a legal right of others.

I suppose we shouldn't buy or sell cars used either, and we should all demolish houses and build a new home every time we move. Oh but they degrade! Even if that was a valid point, the value of games decreases faster than houses or cars and many people prefer old houses to new ones.

BTW I don't buy used games, for various reasons. I make a decision and that is my right.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2010, 14:58.

3. Re: Having fun with a fake Google Street View car Mar 27, 2010, 14:26 DG

There is one mildly amusing joke (stopping to ask for directions) and the rest is basically these guys being assholes.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2010, 15:13 DG

Yeah the American setting is getting a little tired, especially the radio ads are fundamentally the old jokes. Loads of places to include, ample suitable local culture references for missions (e.g. Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels).

On the other hand isn't it time to cycle back to Vice City? That was and still is the best GTA IMO.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2010, 14:58 DG

GfWL offers no benefits to the consumer, no obvious benefits to developers, and no obvious benefit to MS.

This is because MS are clearly disinterested in it. TFA provides a simple example: they can't be bothered responding to a dedicated article on a major and highly reputable publication.

Maybe it could work if MS took it seriously, but they don't and it doesn't.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2010, 14:45 DG

"better" automatically translates to "expensive."
Automatically, no. Often, yes.

gamers in the UK do pony up a few extra euros
£ sterling, and pretty much everywhere priced it normally as a AAA. Please, do some research and avoid basic errors otherwise I have clear reason to assume you also did no research on where the money goes, which to summarise he claims is:

15 retailer
7 MS/Sony/Nintendo
4 distribution etc
3 manufacturing
7 marketing
24 development (not just developer)
--

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 25, 2010, 14:19 DG

"The PS3 is a pretty powerful box, and it is probably more powerful than 90 per cent of PC's out there. The 360 is probably more powerful than 85 per cent of PC's out there."

Very plausable.

But he's comparing a market segment with a much broader entire market, so it makes no sense.

Buuut... Strip out the weak explanation and there is some truth in there. Current consoles have good enough performance for the mass market. Shit, the other day a friend remarked that he should probably get a HDMI cable since he was connecting his 1080p TV to his PS3 via a SCART cable. This is a somewhat tech-savvy guy who also plays on PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: UK TV Mar 24, 2010, 14:23 DG

ITV is not a channel to be watched if you are looking for anything factual. Or indeed of any value.

Might aswell complain about the News of the World or the Daily Fail.

News Comments > Bourne Game Killed?
7. Re: Bourne Game Killed? Mar 24, 2010, 14:12 DG

Sweet. Not only is Syndicate not cancelled, it's getting significantly more resources and is considered "a big production".

OTOH... It's now considered "a big production", and perhaps more likely to be targeted at big sales and hence the lowest common denominator.

/still optimistic...

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo