Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1670 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2010, 17:46 DG

If the tree's endangering the house it's time for it to come down. Speak to the neighbour though and see what they say. It might not change an inevitable result but even so they'll appreciate the involvement in something that affects them.

Think of it as an opportunity to plant a new tree.

Previous parental home had a giant monkey puzzle tree. Looking at google images I can't find one quite like it, ours was at least as big as the biggest ones I could see but it had the great shape that only seems to show on the juveniles (older ones seem to only have branches at the top). I think it was in a book or a paper or something because we'd get a couple of people a year turn up to look at it.

Bit like this except multiplied in scale so you could walk under the lowest branches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Araucaria_araucana1.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Regions Divided
35. Re: StarCraft II Regions Divided May 27, 2010, 17:24 DG

nin wrote on May 27, 2010, 11:35:
While I'm not defending the decision at all, I suspect this has more to do with getting it working with battle.net, which they want divided into zones.
A reasonable objective, but surely it would be straightforward to apply a default zone setting that the player could manually change if they desired?

No doubt there's some questions during the battle.net install so "where are you" could be one of them (or simply fire off a ping). This also avoids having to duplicate inventories due to having multiple SKU's, though that may be moot if they need localisation to fit all the languages on there or whatever.

I have difficulty imagining why this isn't a simple issue to deal with, though it is easy to be cynical and assume it's a method of enforcing geographical price discrimination.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2010, 18:14 DG

Hitman was at once crap and yet entertaining nonetheless, and Olga Kurylenko makes up for a lot. Probably the pick of a poor bunch, though I haven't seen all those films  

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
30. Re: Learn to read, fool. May 23, 2010, 08:23 DG

Riley, you're going to far too much effort to argue a ludicrous position. I actually have doubts that you're trolling because nobody is that bad at it.  

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
24. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 23, 2010, 05:51 DG

So what we're saying is Valve gave away a version of Portal with limited modding?

Wow, how terrible of them. OK, things could have been smoother if they'd said that up front, but whatever.

PS. I'm not particularly inclined to give any benefit over doubt to the modders when they're posting news in that way. Quite a few toys strewn around the pram there.

News Comments > PC Fable III Confirmed
18. Re: PC Fable III Confirmed May 21, 2010, 16:16 DG

I thought Fable 2 was a good game, albeit too easy and a bit shallow - take out some language and would have been a good game for kids.

Oh yeah and the endless enemy respawning. Gah.

News Comments > OnLive UK Plans
4. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 13:33 DG

BT. That means exclusive service to BT customers. That is, customers who pay their money directly to BT - we're just about all BT customers because BT owns nearly all of the infrastructure and takes a big slice of all the revenue.

But BT customer service is appallingly bad, and their executives call anyone racists if they talk about not being able to understand what their grade Z Indian call centres are saying. (Whilst claiming they are grade A centres, even though with those you usually have to make an effort to even notice).

BT customer service voted worst in UK:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/You-keep-me-hanging-on.5412146.jp

This comment was edited on May 13, 2010, 13:39.

News Comments > Michael Pachter Interview
9. Re: Michael Pachter Interview May 12, 2010, 16:48 DG

This is the stock market! What matters is you think something before everyone else does. Being right or wrong only affects how quickly you need to exit before your error becomes a mistake.  

News Comments > Portal Free
8. Re: Portal Free May 12, 2010, 16:37 DG

Not that there is anyone using these boards who doesn't already have Portal, except I guess for a handful of the ardent Steam-haters.

Surely?

News Comments > Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site
25. Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 20:41 DG

Overon wrote on May 8, 2010, 19:54:
I have read this thread and no one has managed to convince me through reason and evidence that they are right.

Try harder. I respond well to evidence and reason. Please avoid making logical fallacies.

Thank you.
It's IP law. You want evidence, reason and logic? It's about imaginary things, GL with that.

Having read TFA and the action, you can basically take your pick from:

- Evil Games Workshop! They want lawyer money, a valuable domain for free and to maximise the control it has over community discussions. This website is fair use, does not pretend to represent Games Workshop and builds up a community and hence is a good thing for the company. Or;

- Evil warhammeralliance.com! These guys are making money through advertising yet people only go there because it's about Games Worshop, therefore it is illegitimately profiting from another company's branding.

Personally I do not see how GW is losing anything from this "fan site", it's not like it's selling competing products, and I can't imagine anyone assuming it to be an official site. GW are widely known to be a litigious bunch of control freaks - am IRL friend of mine is well into it but he really dislikes the company. Apparently most fan sites had to come up with some agreement with GW to be allowed to operate (WTF?). On the other hand, given it's corporate ownership I'm not sure it's quite the "fan site" and yeah OK apparently they are making money.

News Comments > Kotick: "No Choice But to Fire" IW Heads
32. Re: Kotick: May 7, 2010, 13:55 DG

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2010, 08:12:
How the fuck are Activision's shareholders tolerating this dude and the dumb shit he spewes in public? I guess as long as the money keeps rollin' in he gets to stay right? What a crock....
Shareholders who don't like the CEO sell and move on.

The only time they actually get kicked out is when the share price goes down so dramatically shareholders have lost too much money to move on. But we're talking down to a fraction of what they bought at, and even here many shareholders will just sell when they have other gains to offset for tax.

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
46. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 7, 2010, 13:46 DG

Zyrxil wrote on May 6, 2010, 18:16:
DG wrote on May 6, 2010, 17:28:
Civ is about the one game I'm wary of getting on steam because of the level of modding.
And what do you base this on? I own the Steam version of Civ IV and the expansions and the big mods, Fall From Heaven 2, etc., all work perfectly fine. The only complaint I have is that it's not well integrated into Steam enough, so the base game, and each expansion have their own folder instead of being all in one folder like the retail version would be.
But what about the unofficial patches that change core games files in the base install? Doesn't Steamworks even check base files?

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
30. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 6, 2010, 17:28 DG

Civ is about the one game I'm wary of getting on steam because of the level of modding.

For Civ IV there were almost constantly community patches. These were good quality stuff that ended up (eventually) getting rolled into the official patches.

Everybody uses the community patches. When official patches are released, it's normal to wait until your mods are compatible before updating (well, actually a lot of people ran two installs).

I'm wary that with Steam they won't be able to patch certain files, and that we'll be force-fed official patches that break the mods which are more important than the vanilla game.

News Comments > New Audigy Drivers
15. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:49 DG

Onboard Realtek audio is pretty good. Well, some of them, they do vary. I have decent Sennheiser bins and am quite impressed. But that is when considering it probably costs like 10c per install.

My old Audigy 1 gave very noticeably better sound than any onboard chip I've tried (though I didn't use Soundstorm). In some games, you get accused of wallhacking because you can hear fairly accurately where people are, which I can't do with this Realtek. I considered it well worth the money, partly because it was good and partly because the card lasted several builds.

And could have kept going. But, I didn't bother with it since I shifted from XP, since HW acceleration is lost and frankly Creative's drivers are fucking awful. I just wasnt even going to hope they could cope with 64bit.

I really can't believe they don't have a proper unified driver. The lightbulb seems to have gone on that drivers should be multi-OS but they're still doing silly things like saying "This download is a driver providing [...] support for Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® series of audio devices" and then hidden away at the very bottom of the detailed notes is "DO NOT install this driver for Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, or Sound Blaster Audigy Value".

edit: personally never had trouble with Realtek onboard.

News Comments > GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale
28. Re: GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale Apr 30, 2010, 16:49 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 17:49:
Then use PayPal.

Better to use paypal for these things anyway - no reason to give them your cc info.
I don't use paypal, though anyway here in UK credit card payment is highly favourable because of the amount of protection the law forces the provider to give you.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Apr 29, 2010, 17:14 DG

Nice to have the bugfixes and I guess making freight official is a good thing.

I don't get the endless meddling they keep doing to the balance though. I think they do it just for the sake of change, without really considering whether it will be better.

That's a major nerf of the pyro. You're kidding about heavies right? Pyro is easy meat for a heavy, pyro should only ever win in a scenario where any other class ('cept medic) would do it significantly easier. And of course now heavy has got quite a good boost here.

News Comments > GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale
14. Re: GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale Apr 29, 2010, 16:39 DG

I caught both VC and IV sales. I have the former on DVD and the latter on 360 but for that price I was getting it on steam.

But Steam said my card was declined. While my issuer says they were authorised (but payment wasn't taken) and gave me the auth codes so Steam could manually put it though.

Of course all I get from Steam support is they don't know and I could try using another card - despite having pointed out I wanted in on a sale price...

Bah, never had this problem with the old client (yeah yeah, it's unlikely that the card processing system would be changed with the client, but I can moan).

P.S. VC was the bestest GTA game EVAR.

EDIT: shit, I forgot, didn't they threw on some nasty DRM shit on GTA?

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
2. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Apr 28, 2010, 16:54 DG

hmm, time to update from 9.9? (ATI4850)  

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus at 26
19. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus at 26 Apr 27, 2010, 15:42 DG

Isn't this a repeat of 2003?

2002: 2015inc release MoH: AA, under EA.
2003: 22 leave 2015inc [EA-ish] to form IW and release CoD, under Activision.
2009/10: 26 leave IW [Activision] to form Respawn and release ??? under EA.

Where ??? = some game with remarkable similarities to CoD/MoH

(yes 2015 is technically independent but IIRC a lot of the fuss at the time was because EA basically called the shots)

News Comments > New Steam Client Released
35. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 12:51 DG

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:46:
Even if not faster servers, how about enough reserve capacity to handle launch week? They've had tons of big games released on steam (valve games and non valve games), and it seems like EVERY SINGLE ONE, when its released, it slows to a crawl or is stuck on paused download, or whatever.
Its not like they don't have data on how much bandwidth a launch requires.
FLY wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:39:
Yeah ok..

How about some FASTER servers, Valve?! Spend some of those millions you are making. Getting capped bandwidth 400kb-800kb is pathetic. You know damn well you are capping the bandwidth.

I remember when Steam used to be fast for downloads. It's bad enough you are charging people the same price as retail for new games. Give people faster servers or they will leave you in droves.

There's something up with the DL's imo. When the Parish was released I was getting it at something silly like 14KB/s while the server stats page showed the UK servers only around half capacity. Switched my locale to Germany and then Holland, similar. At Benelux, however, it jumped up to a little shy of 900KB/s.

If I install something away from launch times though it's not unknown that I'll get about 2,000KB/s. Like just now reinstalled Portal as a test and it hit 2.0MB/s (20Mbit ADSL).

1670 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo