Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Doctor Who Episode Saturday in UK
1. Re: Next Doctor Who Episode Saturday in UK Jun 22, 2010, 11:52 DG

Just to clarify, this will be free to people in the UK (due to BBC restrictions from being publicly funded, i.e. we already paid for it through the licence fee) and paid-for elsewhere.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2010, 12:25 DG

Funny you mention it, looked out the skylight as I was returning to bed around 1am and noticed the sky was still blue (far from daytime, but about enough to walk around without a light).

We get slightly more than 17 1/2h here (Edinburgh) this time of year though it's a somewhat miserable 7h during December. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=304

(though it says 15h for NY, and 9 during December http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179 )

News Comments > Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 Sale
1. Re: Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 Sale Jun 19, 2010, 17:11 DG

ME2 worth the buy on PC or just rent it on 360? (edit: I enjoyed the first which I rented on 360, so I guess I'm actually wondering whether PC or 360 version is better. Prob wont get to play it until fall)

Also, what's the deal with the DRM on Steam version now?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Internet Kill Switch Jun 18, 2010, 14:01 DG

US President Barack Obama would be granted powers to seize control of and even shut down the internet under a new bill that describes the global internet as a US "national asset".
Um, LOL?

The internet isn't the property of the US to control. Any realistic suggestion of this being a plausable event would simply result in everywhere else removing reliance on the US networks.

The result is the US has more control over the US internet and less internationally.

If that wasn't possible, or hadn't been put in place yet and the US "switched off" the internet, they'd be open to really quite a lot of lawsuits.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2010, 13:05 DG

Not sure why Engadget bemoaning the $20 cable when in the other vid they're saying you can just use any USB stick or even just do it via xbox live.

The vid also makes clear what the big diff is, other than wireless N. Big ass fan directly on the CPU, being directly fed by a big grill plus big grills on the top and bottom. It's looking close to a nice Micro PC setup now, much better than the very silly 2x40mm fans at the back ducting from the CPU.

I suspect also there's been a die shrink, since power pack is lighter. Probably the biggest deal to some people.

Tumbler, I think it makes life easier if you connect HDMI to the TV and optical to stereo/amp.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2010, 13:12.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 10:32 DG

Um, I'm pretty sure the superbowl thing was good humour and Olympics was the serious answer. Not sure which of those is bigger, pretty sure they are the two biggest by a very big margin over the rest though.

Actually, comparing would be quite a difficult task as WC has discrete games to count while Olympics has near constantly numerous events going on concurrently. Do you count peak eyeballs, average eyeballs, discrete number of eyeballs that watched at least x hours, total aggregate eyeball hours...

The football hasn't gotten very exciting yet. Some of it is down to the ball which seems to slice very easily as it's very light. Plus since it's early days they're most nervous plus nobody is desperate for wins yet.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 10, 2010, 17:26 DG

In UK it's typically 5 (~$7) for 500MB. This is relatively new though, they used to be more generous, with bigger allowances and being much more lax with the "fair use" policy (i.e. had to go over for consecutive months before they'd charge).

Specific phones can sweeter, for example T-Mobile's is 3GB if on an Android phone and O2 do 1GB for an iPhone. This "upgrade" allowance is automatic for the right phone and at no extra cost. But these are specific deals those networks made with the phone manufacturers to secure exclusives and at some point that agreement is going to expire.

The price is right but the data really should be 3GB. 500MB is the size of the HQ trailer for the Dark Knight (64mb), and should really be the basic, entry-level package, for low-use customers. But they're still advertising it as "unlimited internet*"; "*fair use policy applies" (and detail on that fair use is often very hard to find)Yet the ads are talking about how you can download music, movies, youtube etc.

And IIRC only T-Mobile has a facility to bulk-buy an extra allowance for the month. All the others, and even on TMob if you don't notice, charge through the nose for going over. Personally I think they're worried that using Facebook and email (not forgetting instant messengers) is going to hammer their extremely high-margin text messaging.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 17:03 DG

Cutter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agy6KOSwyA8  

News Comments > I Hate Mountains for L4D
9. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 17:36 DG

I installed KF and was reminded of the bad bits from 1990's PC games right away. It looked terrible - not just not fancy graphics or whatever, but just... bad. Then it kept screwing up on loading or the menus, then it worked but each time I joined a game it fell over...

I really liked L4D but they did not execute the lobby system well (and I definitely think it was the right way forward for the game, if only they'd done it right). This was compounded by the lack of incentive for people to buy servers, which meant relatively few freebies were thrown up as advertising, which was further compounded by all Valve's EU servers being in Germany. So you mess around for ages getting the map you want (and, cross fingers, a decent team) and then mess around some more to get a decent server, and each time you get a bad one most people quit without thinking of just voting back to lobby.

In the beginning for L4D1, when it was really really busy, the flaws weren't so much of an issue 'cuz there were so many good options it couldn't really miss a decent enough game. Soon as games got a little hard to find, the problems become an issue far more often than not.

Oh and then there's what happens when it updates. In TF2, the only problem I've had is servers shutting down mid-game to install a patch, at which point my Steam starts updating and 5mins later I'm back in. In L4D, Steam updates itself then tomorrow I can join a server.

(This is from my UK perspective, YMMV)

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2010, 17:44.

News Comments > Half-Life E3 Tease Faked
23. Re: Half-Life E3 Tease Faked Jun 7, 2010, 17:16 DG

09/10/07 for Steam
10/10/07 for NA retail 360 & PC
19/10/07 for EU retail 360 & PC
11/12/07 PS3

However IIRC something didn't quite go to plan. Can't remember if there was a slight delay on the PC release either in NA/EU; or, something rings a bell that it was released early in EU.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2010, 17:26.

News Comments > Why Didn't You Buy GSB?
16. Re: Why Didn't You Buy GSB? Jun 5, 2010, 17:03 DG

Ruffiana wrote on Jun 5, 2010, 16:41:
Why doest that sentiment only apply to indie developers?
'Cuz they're generally perceived as being relatively innovative, more financially vulnerable and a bigger cut of the money goes to the devs rather than the publishers.

Not saying that's necessarily my view or that it's true, just that there is a reasonable rationale. It's a similar sentiment to the whole "buy local" thing, I suppose.

13. Re: Nuclear Option Jun 4, 2010, 14:08 DG

The nuke idea is to impact the sea bed rock so it collapses and seals the well. Basically the "hit it with a kiloton hammer" approach.

But, it could also open up the well with a fissure that would be basically impossible to seal. High pressure oil and gas would just surge out at vastly higher volume than presently. This in turn would erode the weakened rock... Not forgetting that you've just blown up all other options.

Currently they have a broken pipe that has a (albeit failed) device on it designed to stop the flow. I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure that offers a lot more opportunities to stop the flow or at least has less risk of it getting worse than setting off a bomb and hoping.

They can't just crimp the pipe because of the amount of pressure. They tried clogging it up with drilling fluid, mud, clay, golf balls, rubber and cement and it didn't work.

It's looking like they've been successful with the containment cap which will syphon off much of the leak, while the permanent fix is the relief wells being drilled (which will basically be a functioning well that takes over the flow and pressure, so the leaking one can be plugged relatively easily).

News Comments > Shogun 2: Total War Revealed?
24. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 11:17 DG

I really enjoyed Shogun and for me, with the exception of some of the combat mechanics, it went sharply downhill from there.

It's the world map stuff I don't like. Shogun was relatively simple and fun, setting the playboard for the battles which are the meat of the game. The later games seemed overly complicated and not in a fun/satisfying way like, say, Civ.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2010, 17:46 DG

If the tree's endangering the house it's time for it to come down. Speak to the neighbour though and see what they say. It might not change an inevitable result but even so they'll appreciate the involvement in something that affects them.

Think of it as an opportunity to plant a new tree.

Previous parental home had a giant monkey puzzle tree. Looking at google images I can't find one quite like it, ours was at least as big as the biggest ones I could see but it had the great shape that only seems to show on the juveniles (older ones seem to only have branches at the top). I think it was in a book or a paper or something because we'd get a couple of people a year turn up to look at it.

Bit like this except multiplied in scale so you could walk under the lowest branches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Araucaria_araucana1.jpg

News Comments > StarCraft II Regions Divided
35. Re: StarCraft II Regions Divided May 27, 2010, 17:24 DG

nin wrote on May 27, 2010, 11:35:
While I'm not defending the decision at all, I suspect this has more to do with getting it working with battle.net, which they want divided into zones.
A reasonable objective, but surely it would be straightforward to apply a default zone setting that the player could manually change if they desired?

No doubt there's some questions during the battle.net install so "where are you" could be one of them (or simply fire off a ping). This also avoids having to duplicate inventories due to having multiple SKU's, though that may be moot if they need localisation to fit all the languages on there or whatever.

I have difficulty imagining why this isn't a simple issue to deal with, though it is easy to be cynical and assume it's a method of enforcing geographical price discrimination.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2010, 18:14 DG

Hitman was at once crap and yet entertaining nonetheless, and Olga Kurylenko makes up for a lot. Probably the pick of a poor bunch, though I haven't seen all those films  

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
30. Re: Learn to read, fool. May 23, 2010, 08:23 DG

Riley, you're going to far too much effort to argue a ludicrous position. I actually have doubts that you're trolling because nobody is that bad at it.  

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
24. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 23, 2010, 05:51 DG

So what we're saying is Valve gave away a version of Portal with limited modding?

Wow, how terrible of them. OK, things could have been smoother if they'd said that up front, but whatever.

PS. I'm not particularly inclined to give any benefit over doubt to the modders when they're posting news in that way. Quite a few toys strewn around the pram there.

News Comments > PC Fable III Confirmed
18. Re: PC Fable III Confirmed May 21, 2010, 16:16 DG

I thought Fable 2 was a good game, albeit too easy and a bit shallow - take out some language and would have been a good game for kids.

Oh yeah and the endless enemy respawning. Gah.

News Comments > OnLive UK Plans
4. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 13:33 DG

BT. That means exclusive service to BT customers. That is, customers who pay their money directly to BT - we're just about all BT customers because BT owns nearly all of the infrastructure and takes a big slice of all the revenue.

But BT customer service is appallingly bad, and their executives call anyone racists if they talk about not being able to understand what their grade Z Indian call centres are saying. (Whilst claiming they are grade A centres, even though with those you usually have to make an effort to even notice).

BT customer service voted worst in UK:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/You-keep-me-hanging-on.5412146.jp

This comment was edited on May 13, 2010, 13:39.

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo