Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
30. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 6, 2010, 17:28 DG

Civ is about the one game I'm wary of getting on steam because of the level of modding.

For Civ IV there were almost constantly community patches. These were good quality stuff that ended up (eventually) getting rolled into the official patches.

Everybody uses the community patches. When official patches are released, it's normal to wait until your mods are compatible before updating (well, actually a lot of people ran two installs).

I'm wary that with Steam they won't be able to patch certain files, and that we'll be force-fed official patches that break the mods which are more important than the vanilla game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Audigy Drivers
15. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:49 DG

Onboard Realtek audio is pretty good. Well, some of them, they do vary. I have decent Sennheiser bins and am quite impressed. But that is when considering it probably costs like 10c per install.

My old Audigy 1 gave very noticeably better sound than any onboard chip I've tried (though I didn't use Soundstorm). In some games, you get accused of wallhacking because you can hear fairly accurately where people are, which I can't do with this Realtek. I considered it well worth the money, partly because it was good and partly because the card lasted several builds.

And could have kept going. But, I didn't bother with it since I shifted from XP, since HW acceleration is lost and frankly Creative's drivers are fucking awful. I just wasnt even going to hope they could cope with 64bit.

I really can't believe they don't have a proper unified driver. The lightbulb seems to have gone on that drivers should be multi-OS but they're still doing silly things like saying "This download is a driver providing [...] support for Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® series of audio devices" and then hidden away at the very bottom of the detailed notes is "DO NOT install this driver for Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, or Sound Blaster Audigy Value".

edit: personally never had trouble with Realtek onboard.

News Comments > GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale
28. Re: GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale Apr 30, 2010, 16:49 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 17:49:
Then use PayPal.

Better to use paypal for these things anyway - no reason to give them your cc info.
I don't use paypal, though anyway here in UK credit card payment is highly favourable because of the amount of protection the law forces the provider to give you.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Apr 29, 2010, 17:14 DG

Nice to have the bugfixes and I guess making freight official is a good thing.

I don't get the endless meddling they keep doing to the balance though. I think they do it just for the sake of change, without really considering whether it will be better.

That's a major nerf of the pyro. You're kidding about heavies right? Pyro is easy meat for a heavy, pyro should only ever win in a scenario where any other class ('cept medic) would do it significantly easier. And of course now heavy has got quite a good boost here.

News Comments > GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale
14. Re: GTA San Andreas Mini-Sale Apr 29, 2010, 16:39 DG

I caught both VC and IV sales. I have the former on DVD and the latter on 360 but for that price I was getting it on steam.

But Steam said my card was declined. While my issuer says they were authorised (but payment wasn't taken) and gave me the auth codes so Steam could manually put it though.

Of course all I get from Steam support is they don't know and I could try using another card - despite having pointed out I wanted in on a sale price...

Bah, never had this problem with the old client (yeah yeah, it's unlikely that the card processing system would be changed with the client, but I can moan).

P.S. VC was the bestest GTA game EVAR.

EDIT: shit, I forgot, didn't they threw on some nasty DRM shit on GTA?

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
2. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Apr 28, 2010, 16:54 DG

hmm, time to update from 9.9? (ATI4850)  

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus at 26
19. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus at 26 Apr 27, 2010, 15:42 DG

Isn't this a repeat of 2003?

2002: 2015inc release MoH: AA, under EA.
2003: 22 leave 2015inc [EA-ish] to form IW and release CoD, under Activision.
2009/10: 26 leave IW [Activision] to form Respawn and release ??? under EA.

Where ??? = some game with remarkable similarities to CoD/MoH

(yes 2015 is technically independent but IIRC a lot of the fuss at the time was because EA basically called the shots)

News Comments > New Steam Client Released
35. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 12:51 DG

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:46:
Even if not faster servers, how about enough reserve capacity to handle launch week? They've had tons of big games released on steam (valve games and non valve games), and it seems like EVERY SINGLE ONE, when its released, it slows to a crawl or is stuck on paused download, or whatever.
Its not like they don't have data on how much bandwidth a launch requires.
FLY wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:39:
Yeah ok..

How about some FASTER servers, Valve?! Spend some of those millions you are making. Getting capped bandwidth 400kb-800kb is pathetic. You know damn well you are capping the bandwidth.

I remember when Steam used to be fast for downloads. It's bad enough you are charging people the same price as retail for new games. Give people faster servers or they will leave you in droves.

There's something up with the DL's imo. When the Parish was released I was getting it at something silly like 14KB/s while the server stats page showed the UK servers only around half capacity. Switched my locale to Germany and then Holland, similar. At Benelux, however, it jumped up to a little shy of 900KB/s.

If I install something away from launch times though it's not unknown that I'll get about 2,000KB/s. Like just now reinstalled Portal as a test and it hit 2.0MB/s (20Mbit ADSL).

News Comments > New Steam Client Released
5. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 16:43 DG

Vice City is on a 2hr sale for next to nothing if you're desperate to try out shopping with it...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 26, 2010, 15:00 DG

The price of BR's is really annoying. I'm not going to pay 2-3x the DVD price for BR.

DVD's are cheap enough that I'd pick them up on a whim. But, I'm also put off that because I don't want to have the obsolete one either, I think I'd regret it later on especially since I usually have years between viewings so the BR may be reasonably priced the second time around.

I did get a BR player though since they're quite cheap (er, well the drive for my PC was, I don't even have a HD telly but my TFT is), and through my rental scheme they're no different to a DVD. I also get the occasional one on a good offer. I good subscription HD download service is what I really want though.

News Comments > On MW2 Bonuses
32. Re: On MW2 Bonuses Apr 23, 2010, 20:18 DG

Anonymous Rex wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 16:21:
It's easy to say "Well don't sign it." And it sounds easy right up until you're actually in that position, and you discover that the alternative is not working.
Far as I can see I'm the only one mentioning signing things, specifically "well they agreed to it".

But... They did. My comment didn't pass judgement. But you know... The reason we get screwed over by employers is because nobody challenges it. It isn't even screwing their staff over any more, it's borderline standard practice. Want to know why execs and bankers get paid a squillion dollars? Not only do they read their contracts, they negotiate - most importantly, they all do.

I like to moan about politicians. But, I'll admit at least half the problem is people not reading real newspapers, paying attention and using their vote with care. Again I don't pass judgement - I don't and can't blame anyone for considering it a waste of time. But as a group, we have to take our share of the blame for the state of politics. It's the same thing. I don't blame anyone for needing to make the rent, no individual's apathy is making a difference. But as a group, we take it and we take it and we take it and we hope someone else is going to save us - we don't do ourselves any favours.

Oh and yeah, there are the occasional cool employers who treat staff fairly in the belief that staff will respect and respond to that and so in the end they'll make a return on that. And they're right 90% of the time, but there's that 10% who abuse it and make it so that it's not working for the employer and in the end we get screwed over again. The best part is we're probably covering for those 10% guys.

So yeah, they agreed to it. Maybe they had little choice, maybe it's not their fault - at least no more than anyone else's. Maybe it's your fault. Maybe it's our fault. Activision? They're assholes but who expects different?

PS no this isn't support for unions who as far as I can tell is just another bunch of bosses abusing you for their own ends.

News Comments > PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released
32. Re: PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released Apr 23, 2010, 17:47 DG

yeah unimpressive campaign. Good in bits (and the whole campaign was just a collection of bits taped together) but overall "meh".

meeting the old crew was just... crap. Like some crap sitcom when they have some celebrity cameo. Especially when the 3 of them are slouching on the bridge trying way too hard to look cool or whatever.

News Comments > On MW2 Bonuses
26. Re: On MW2 Bonuses Apr 23, 2010, 12:59 DG

It's quite normal to incorporate into contracts bonuses that are contingent on the recipient still being an employee at some specified date. That can be years down the line, if that's what the contract says.

Of course it seems bloody cheeky when the bonus is being tied to a specific, individually identifiable and wholly completed piece of work. But well they agreed to it.

News Comments > Metaverse
7. Re: Metaverse Apr 23, 2010, 12:50 DG

there's subtitles in the movie, it's Downfall (translation from Der Undergang, the German name).

Good film, I recommend it if the premiss sounds at all appealing. 92% on rotten tomatoes, 8.4/10 IMDB, 82% metacritic

Oh noes now a DCMA takedown might be encouraging sales!!1111one

News Comments > PC Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Released
2. Re: PC Left 4 Dead: The Passing Released Apr 22, 2010, 17:35 DG

trickling down incredibly slowly. no probs though not playing until tomorrow  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Details and Trailer
10. Re: Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Details and Trailer Apr 22, 2010, 12:34 DG

loomy wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:13:
In the old days people were allowed to modify and host their own games so you could play anyone's mutation. There were even mutations so popular they replaced the original game.
You're saying you can't play mods with L4D2?

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Item Drop Changes
8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Item Drop Changes Apr 21, 2010, 16:25 DG

sounds good to me. I've been trying to get the scottish resistance, have everything else in multiples (except hats, want max hat, and those pistols)

instead I join games and see idlers with every item in the first game after I've just heard about it

News Comments > Metaverse
8. Re: Metaverse Apr 21, 2010, 16:16 DG

If you want to avoid ads being blocked host them yourself and vet them to ensure they're reasonable. If you're not going to take responsibility for your ads why would anyone else want to trust them?

If you use a standard ad service hosted offsite then you just need readers to have visited 1 other site with a bad ad policy and as a result they're going to be blocking yours.

By hosting from your domain people have to choose to specifically block ads on your site. If you don't give them a reason, they won't bother.

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
50. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 13:39 DG

Last time I saw a good manual was the last time I bought a Civilization game.

Time before that, it was the Civ game before that.

TBH there's only a few games that need a manual at all. Usually the most you need is to have a flick at the key setup. Most games if you have to look in an actual manual they must have made a big mistake with the UI.

Just to be clear this does not apply to Civ, which damn well needs the huge, well written, hard copy tome that they consistently deliver.

News Comments > StarCraft II AO in Korea
7. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 16:15 DG

joe2tiger wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 12:33:
Being an adult, I'm more likely to buy such an "AO" title from Blizzard. Maybe that will prevent the 8-12 year old kids from screaming rage into the mic or keyboard during play.
Unfortunately the worst kids mostly have parents who aren't paying attention to notice the rating, or no longer have sufficient control over them.

Of course it's still all the fault of the video game that they didn't even notice they were playing.

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo