Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Stargate Games Lawsuit
4. Re: Stargate Games Lawsuit Aug 26, 2010, 15:49 DG

The complaint isn't about the investors losing their money on a bad investment, it's about their money being stolen through fraud.

1. Use investor's money to make a valuable asset for company A
2. Sell asset for small change to company B you own personally
3. Liquidate the original company A
4. Profit

This is a common fraud. It's not a very difficult idea for people with weak ethical values to come up with, it's quite difficult to prove and even even if you do and get your asset back, it's even harder to successfully prosecute the fraudster.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Not Working on Linux Steam
6. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 14:38 DG

I run Windows for gaming. Otherwise I'd be all Ubuntu. For all intents and purposes to me it is almost exactly the same. Firefox works, plugins and addons I use work, Openoffice works... All same as Windows.

Even the installation is "far as I care" the same. Security/viruses etc, well apparently Ubuntu much more secure, but I've never had any issues with Windows so whatever. Same goes for stability, no issues either way here. Hardware support can be an issue with Linux, but I research upgrades anyway so it's a trivial issue.

I'm sure some power users (from either side) could give massive lists of differences, almost all of which will be things which most people do not remotely care about. Of course if you need certain programs then it's a fix.

But... I need Windows for gaming so why bother also using Ubuntu? The only reason I bothered with it was I didn't have a spare Windows licence for the box o' bits I put together as a household PC.

Back on topic... Can hardly blame Valve here, I seriously doubt there is much additional market from supporting Linux since there can't be many Linux-exclusive gamers.

News Comments > Steam Bestsellers
9. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 19:41 DG

I enjoyed Borderlands a lot, just finished the General Knoxx DLC, which is good value by the way (not touched the others).

I can't really say I found it very consolish, other than the (lack of) difficulty.

News Comments > Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results
16. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 08:42 DG

Microsoft Internet Explorer 19.82%

No way. Even if IE marketshare dropped to 20%, still 99% of Windows people wouldn't bother uninstalling it once they'd put in their browser of choice.

News Comments > Mafia II Trailer
12. Re: Mafia II Trailer Aug 20, 2010, 09:27 DG

Dunno about this game. The shootout in the demo was fun.

Driving around, not so much.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2010, 14:59 DG

bet he's getting a ribbing for hiding in his car while a woman pokes around with the bees in shorts and t-shirt  

News Comments > Safety Dance
4. Re: Safety Dance Aug 19, 2010, 14:46 DG

A good acquisition is often one that sucks right now and you think you can make good.

Buying things that already good doesn't leave much room for return on investment, except for the upstarts that aren't valued to their potential yet and anyway need your resources to get big.

9. Re: long exposure Aug 17, 2010, 19:12 DG

link would be 100x more awesome with desktop-quality images.

Props to National Geographic who do photo of the day/month etc in 1600x1200. Not exactly BMP or even PNG, but a 700kb jpeg isn't horrendous.

8. Re: Out of the Blue AC Aug 17, 2010, 19:03 DG

Pigeon wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:50:
Assuming the ACs have a thermostat I'd argue its better they're left on while people are gone to work. Otherwise when they come back the AC will be cranking all night to cool the apartment back down to whatever temperature they had it set at before it was turned off.
True it takes a lot more power to "accelerate" than maintain speed, but I doubt it's even close to cover maintaining the temperature for what, 10 hours during by far the hottest part of the day?

I know you want to come back to a cool apartment, but can't you set a timer with the thermostat to kick in say half an hour before you gte in?

That said;
“Many of these properties have older populations, and some people are scaring them, saying that if you do this your costs are going to go up,” Mr. Kuperberg said. “Nothing could be further from the truth.”
I'm extreeeeeeemely sceptical, this is a golden opportunity for a stealth price rise i.e. 10 apartments, total power bill $1000, rent reduction $75. You can certainly bet your ass the rent reduction will never under any circumstances be above $100.

True it is possible, likely perhaps, that the resulting more reasonable power use will result in an overall cut in costs, but there's a money-value drop in benefit on the other side of the equation.

The whole "with utilities" thing sounds ridiculous to me, but let's not pretend the rentor is going to make any change that even might possibly result in him losing out.

2. Re: Safety Dance Aug 17, 2010, 18:41 DG

macromedia flash settings

note: even if you set "none" on this game (website storage settings) you will find lots of sites listed here because they can use use the Global storage settings (second tab from the left). This is the default 100kb mentioned in the plugin below. I suspect the plugin may be better in some cases i.e. allowing the 100kb for a session then deleting it, rather than just banning outright, presumably some kinds of flash rely on the 100kb? More importantly perhaps the plugin lets you specify certain sites e.g. flash games that are allowed.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2010, 15:22 DG

So does Weeds get any better? I tired of it by the second disk of season 2.  

News Comments > Worms Reloaded Trailer, Preorders
5. Re: Worms Reloaded Trailer, Preorders Aug 12, 2010, 15:36 DG

Loved the original and it's bit-mapped goodness.

Never really got into the others.

1. Re: BBC Aug 10, 2010, 12:52 DG

146/2= 73 laptops lost per year avg
(22,861+22,874)/2 = 22,867.5 avg FTE employees

FTE: Full Time Equivalents, so people contracted to only work half of full time hours are counted as 0.5. It seems likely therefore that the number of physical employees is significantly higher and I would assume most individuals have their own laptop. The denominator is therefore understated, so the real result will actually be even smaller than below, but the best I have.

Secondly, the FTE figure does not include contractors, of which the BBC uses quite a lot, while some of them are given BBC laptops which are included in the lost figures. Again, the denominator is understated and the real result will actually be smaller than below.

73/22,868 = 0.003 laptops lost per employee
or 1 laptop per 333 employees, some of whom are running around Afghanistan.

Given my notes above I assume the real figure to be closer to 1 lost per 400 individuals.

[Edit: btw this isn't really a info safety issue, BBC employees generally don't have much in the way of personal information and TFA states they have various security measures]

source for # of employees: http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2010, 12:58.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2010, 09:07 DG

The problem with "moral choices" in video games is the choices are binary and have no scope for you to alter or manipulate the situation. The stark choice is whether to take the prescribed "good path" or the prescribed "bad path".  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
29. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 16:19 DG

The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with over 40 arenas and five game modes.

The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with over 40 arenas and five game modes.

News Comments > Next Borderlands DLC Revealed?
2. Re: Next Borderlands DLC Revealed? Aug 7, 2010, 16:09 DG

seems about time for a "GOTY" or "Gold" edition, with all the DLC?  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
17. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 07:30 DG

Seems OK to me, though the Premium price is rather high. The extra for Pro is very reasonable if you consider this basically the same as the clan leader fronting the private clan server rental. It might however have been more attractive (or at least easier) if clan members could automatically donate.

Arranging the contributions for your clan server was always a PITA and there's nothing here to make that easier, instead you'll get players pointing out that part of the extra Pro costs above Premium also gives you (trivial) other stuff, and you could decide to leave the clan at any time and take the years' worth of server with you.

Instead, they could for example give players get an option to contribute to a $25pa Pro account which can be added to a Premium member to control, specified with a vote option. If new people start contributing the Pro account the subs is extended. This could quite easily allow for people leaving the clan who wish to withdraw their donation: say 5 people each donate $5 then 3 months later there's an argument and one wants out, the clan's Pro subs is simply shortened by 9/12m * $5/25 = 55 days, and the leaving member can go join another clan and extend his new clan's Pro sub by 55 days.

In fact they could use this as a method to encourage clans to promote Premium memberships. Perhaps of the $24pa Premium fee, $5 is automatically considered a deemed contribution split between all the clans you're a member of. Sure, they wont sell many Pro subs but they will have clans actively encouraging people to take up the Premium subs.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 08:13.

News Comments > Midday Metaverse
2. Re: Massive Censorship Of Digg Uncovered. Aug 6, 2010, 15:44 DG

Interesting article about a good job well done. Hardly surprising that Digg is "censored" but the organisation and endeavour is more than I'd assumed.

Of course I just visited Digg and saw their adver-notice:
Recommendation Engine

By matching you with Diggers like you, the Recommendation Engine helps you Digg up the next big thing!
So go figure...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: FBI seal Aug 3, 2010, 18:06 DG

Funny how every article I've seen on that story has seen fit to also replicate said seal.  

News Comments > QuakeCon Done Quick
6. Re: QuakeCon Done Quick Aug 3, 2010, 11:26 DG

QdQ was awesome.
FWIW 17m39s "original" and later 16m63s "With a Vengeance" (3Dfx)

was? Still looks awesome to me. Helps I still remember most of the game though...

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo