Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1675 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed
3. Re: PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed Sep 8, 2010, 12:55 DG

I'm about to start playing ME2; is any of the DLC worth getting, and better to get before starting?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor
18. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 12:47 DG

I'm not sure why everybody continues reporting on the antics of this man who has been thoroughly discredited and holds no moral or political weight whatsoever. I expect people cringe if they hear Jack Thomson has come out on their side.  

News Comments > Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned
18. Re: Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned Sep 7, 2010, 13:56 DG

2nd playthrough? I liked the game a lot, but I'd have to love seriously love a game to play though any SP more than once, especially one I've already sunk nearly 80 hours into.

If I didn't have a "to play" list so long I might have considered blitzing though the main missions + the better sides if there was some option to just not bother spawning the crates or drops of trash.

News Comments > Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned
2. Re: Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned Sep 6, 2010, 13:50 DG

they didn't want players to be required to pay for it,
these guys evidently have no idea how the gaming industry operates.

Which is nice.

Anyway, finished Borderlands doing every single mission found (sides and all, except the Knoxx "secret" boss thing) and all the DLC except the boring Moxxi tournament thing, and still don't think I'm even at 50. Everyone doing co-op or farming? Can't be bothered with a 2nd run through

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2010, 06:28 DG

The United States is behind the wall of secrecy surrounding global trade talks to combat counterfeiting, say EU policy sources, who claim that American officials are refusing to let their European counterparts publish the draft agreement online.
No really? The secrecy has caused quite a kerfuffle at the EU. Still they went along with it.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 3, 2010, 06:16 DG

CoH: £1.74
COH+OF: £3.00
CoH+OF+TV: £7.49
eh?

Assuming I'll probably only give one campaign one play-through, which one to get?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 31, 2010, 17:05 DG

I usually have a quick browse of the main Digg page, wondering what the big deal is also? Far as I can gather the "power users" are annoyed that they can't dictate the news anymore, but I assume there's more to it than that  

News Comments > Civ 5 Demo on September 21
2. Re: Civ 5 Demo on September 21 Aug 28, 2010, 18:24 DG

Not touching this with a fucking barge pole.

Not until after my exams. No. Mustn't.

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Ars Technica - Buying used games Aug 28, 2010, 17:45 DG

Heh, arguing economics on the internet. Ask any two actual economists about anything and you get three contradicting answers.

Way I see it, it boils down to two questions:
1- are GameStop making supernormal (monopolistic) profits?
2- are customers mainly buying & selling used games in order to spend less total money (as opposed to spending the same but getting through more games)?

Only if the answer is yes to either the above are devs making less money than they would without used sales.

I doubt any of us can be bothered looking up actual facts (not me anyway, this is the internet after all) for the first point and we can only speculate about the second. Personally I'm inclined to assume most people spend more or less the same in total and just get through more games; some people spending less but offset by some people spending more because used is the only way they could afford/would be willing to spend on any gaming hobby.

Overall, just like used car sales the money from the second-hand buyers is funnelled up through the guys doing trade-ins and over to the devs that way. And yes, auto makers covet the used car market, and games depreciate fast. GameStop's cut is taking money out of the cycle, but that money is what is keeping GameStop in business and enabling them to sell the new games at low margins - it stays in the bigger cycle. Only if GameStop is making supernormal profits can it be said that they are taking too much out of the system, and if that were the case the question would be why isn't there decent competition pressurising those margins?

But this is actually not relevant. The fundamental point is that devs are absolutely NOT "losing out" nor being "cheated" by used sales. Used sales are bona fide. Even if you do subscribe to the suggestion that used games result in less money for devs, they are not losing out because they never had the right to that money. You cannot lose a right that you never had. None of their rights are being impinged in any way. Tycho very nearly nailed it by saying a used buy does not make you a customer of the dev. What he forgot was that you never were. Devs do not have any right over your money until you make a new purchase, up until that point you owe them nothing and nothing you can do can possibly cheat them from that money. I didn't buy a game this month because I paid my credit card. Do credit cards cheat devs? A lost sale is a lost sale, right?

If they want something different the impetus is on them to make it so. Natural business options might be to decrease prices in order to stall the used market, or switch emphasis to a service like Steam where the consumer is willing to swap their ability to sell used in favour of the service offered by Steam. If consumers do not want your offering, it is up to you to improve it until they do. Natural business options never, ever involve having a tantrum and bleating about how people are "cheating" you by deciding to take their custom elsewhere. That just shows you have absolutely no clue about business and the rationalisation displays an extraordinary sense of entitlement.

ps. for a little context I think I've bought one used game ever, though as a kid I'd sell on my old console + games to finance the new generation. No piracy.

News Comments > Stargate Games Lawsuit
4. Re: Stargate Games Lawsuit Aug 26, 2010, 15:49 DG

The complaint isn't about the investors losing their money on a bad investment, it's about their money being stolen through fraud.

1. Use investor's money to make a valuable asset for company A
2. Sell asset for small change to company B you own personally
3. Liquidate the original company A
4. Profit

This is a common fraud. It's not a very difficult idea for people with weak ethical values to come up with, it's quite difficult to prove and even even if you do and get your asset back, it's even harder to successfully prosecute the fraudster.

News Comments > Valve Not Working on Linux Steam
6. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 14:38 DG

I run Windows for gaming. Otherwise I'd be all Ubuntu. For all intents and purposes to me it is almost exactly the same. Firefox works, plugins and addons I use work, Openoffice works... All same as Windows.

Even the installation is "far as I care" the same. Security/viruses etc, well apparently Ubuntu much more secure, but I've never had any issues with Windows so whatever. Same goes for stability, no issues either way here. Hardware support can be an issue with Linux, but I research upgrades anyway so it's a trivial issue.

I'm sure some power users (from either side) could give massive lists of differences, almost all of which will be things which most people do not remotely care about. Of course if you need certain programs then it's a fix.

But... I need Windows for gaming so why bother also using Ubuntu? The only reason I bothered with it was I didn't have a spare Windows licence for the box o' bits I put together as a household PC.

Back on topic... Can hardly blame Valve here, I seriously doubt there is much additional market from supporting Linux since there can't be many Linux-exclusive gamers.

News Comments > Steam Bestsellers
9. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 19:41 DG

I enjoyed Borderlands a lot, just finished the General Knoxx DLC, which is good value by the way (not touched the others).

I can't really say I found it very consolish, other than the (lack of) difficulty.

News Comments > Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results
16. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 08:42 DG

Microsoft Internet Explorer 19.82%

No way. Even if IE marketshare dropped to 20%, still 99% of Windows people wouldn't bother uninstalling it once they'd put in their browser of choice.

News Comments > Mafia II Trailer
12. Re: Mafia II Trailer Aug 20, 2010, 09:27 DG

Dunno about this game. The shootout in the demo was fun.

Driving around, not so much.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2010, 14:59 DG

bet he's getting a ribbing for hiding in his car while a woman pokes around with the bees in shorts and t-shirt  

News Comments > Safety Dance
4. Re: Safety Dance Aug 19, 2010, 14:46 DG

A good acquisition is often one that sucks right now and you think you can make good.

Buying things that already good doesn't leave much room for return on investment, except for the upstarts that aren't valued to their potential yet and anyway need your resources to get big.

9. Re: long exposure Aug 17, 2010, 19:12 DG

link would be 100x more awesome with desktop-quality images.

Props to National Geographic who do photo of the day/month etc in 1600x1200. Not exactly BMP or even PNG, but a 700kb jpeg isn't horrendous.

8. Re: Out of the Blue AC Aug 17, 2010, 19:03 DG

Pigeon wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:50:
Assuming the ACs have a thermostat I'd argue its better they're left on while people are gone to work. Otherwise when they come back the AC will be cranking all night to cool the apartment back down to whatever temperature they had it set at before it was turned off.
True it takes a lot more power to "accelerate" than maintain speed, but I doubt it's even close to cover maintaining the temperature for what, 10 hours during by far the hottest part of the day?

I know you want to come back to a cool apartment, but can't you set a timer with the thermostat to kick in say half an hour before you gte in?

That said;
“Many of these properties have older populations, and some people are scaring them, saying that if you do this your costs are going to go up,” Mr. Kuperberg said. “Nothing could be further from the truth.”
I'm extreeeeeeemely sceptical, this is a golden opportunity for a stealth price rise i.e. 10 apartments, total power bill $1000, rent reduction $75. You can certainly bet your ass the rent reduction will never under any circumstances be above $100.

True it is possible, likely perhaps, that the resulting more reasonable power use will result in an overall cut in costs, but there's a money-value drop in benefit on the other side of the equation.

The whole "with utilities" thing sounds ridiculous to me, but let's not pretend the rentor is going to make any change that even might possibly result in him losing out.

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Aug 17, 2010, 18:41 DG

macromedia flash settings

note: even if you set "none" on this game (website storage settings) you will find lots of sites listed here because they can use use the Global storage settings (second tab from the left). This is the default 100kb mentioned in the plugin below. I suspect the plugin may be better in some cases i.e. allowing the 100kb for a session then deleting it, rather than just banning outright, presumably some kinds of flash rely on the 100kb? More importantly perhaps the plugin lets you specify certain sites e.g. flash games that are allowed.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2010, 15:22 DG

So does Weeds get any better? I tired of it by the second disk of season 2.  

1675 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo