Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1670 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
17. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 13:30 DG

Somewhat bizarre article, covers all the main points but completely half-assed. I kind of get the impression this Divnich gave him all the key points and the writer just didn't have an understanding of what he's writing about.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Steam Client
2. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 15:36 DG

Bah Steam being a PITA since this update. It oculdnt find connection so I had to delete clientregistry.blob, which it took ages to re-download and now it's barely got any connection for the Civ V update (yeah I tried resetting the DL location).  

News Comments > Mac Left 4 Dead by Halloween?
6. Re: Mac Left 4 Dead by Halloween? Oct 4, 2010, 14:05 DG

A Mac owner that doesn't know how/want to install Windows?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2010, 18:31 DG

I'm enjoying it but it needs quite a bit of work with the AI and balance. Not much new there mind you, and if the previous games are anything to go by it's likely to get a lot of support.  

News Comments > Manual Borderlands Patch
4. Re: Manual Borderlands Patch Sep 30, 2010, 17:59 DG

I guess it required a fix in a map, which means reissuing the whole file (nobody seems to like delta updating, I guess chances of it not working properly are high).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2010, 12:12 DG

If he's had a moan to someone who has agreed with him, well people are prone to take that like some concrete confirmation even though they know the other person at best only has the same limited info that they do.

Once people think their views have been verified they'll pretty much disregard all information that runs contrary to it, and anything that can possibly be twisted into supporting their idea will be so twisted. If someone is challenging their position then the effect is even stronger, to the point that people feel justified in making shit up because they're so convinced they're in the right even once they've admitted to themselves they don't have any facts to back up their argument at all.

IIRC it's fairly basic psychology though dunno what it's called to google an article. What was I saying about being sure of things even after realising you don't have facts? Connected to confirmation bias and rationalisation though.

News Comments > Civilization V and Demo Released
15. Re: Simpler Civilization? Sep 21, 2010, 14:10 DG

BtS can turn off vassalage (and spying) in the custom game options IIRC.

Agreed you can play Civ without knowing half the detail. IMHO main thing to know about is working tiles and having decent tactics for an efficient early game (i.e. the first half-dozen builds).

Maybe the main weakness of Civ in terms of newbie-friendliness is that the early game can seem like the easy part but is usually the most important.

News Comments > Formula 1 2010 Trailer
7. Re: Formula 1 2010 Trailer Sep 16, 2010, 04:17 DG

Shame there's no demo. I enjoy watching F1 (and all the drama going on around it) but I'm not really into racing games and in particular don't really expect much excitement from an F1 game. I'm the first to admit it takes a good TV production crew to show a good race, not like Monza last week which involved a lot of boredom and occasionally catching glimpses - in the background of a Ferrari shot - of the excitement going on in the middle of the pack.

That said I did used to like Ridge Racer, which at higher levels seemed to be mostly about perfecting the racing line and braking points, so might have changed my mind in a demo.

News Comments > Steam Wallet Beta
39. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 15, 2010, 12:40 DG

zirik wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 22:10:
enjoy your student account. as soon as you join the real world without the benefit or protection of a student account you will see how much banks charge for every friggin little thing that you do with YOUR money.
I left uni ~7 years ago Occasionally a clerk asks me if I'd like to "upgrade", I give a friendly laugh, they smile and say fair enough

News Comments > Civilization V Preorder Bonuses
10. Re: Civilization V Preorder Bonuses Sep 14, 2010, 13:23 DG

Hmm, to pre-order for the Civ or wait until I can actually play it (Christmas at earliest), when it'll be cheaper?

Anyone know if they are still doing the manual for the store version?

JoeNapalm wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 09:24:
The '90s called. They miss you, too.
Civ is the one game where the manual is both well written and useful. Lots of reference I don't want to alt-tab out for.

31. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 13:16 DG

zirik wrote on Sep 14, 2010, 10:31:
if you meet the minimum required balance to get interest checking for both banks they waive ALL fees and include other advantages like free checks, stop payments, unlimited transfers and a safety deposit box. they also give unlimited access to a bank teller every month. without it you are limited to two visits to a local branch every month. its ridiculous but i guess every bank does it to force people to do online banking. wells fargo even charges for paper statements no matter what type of account you have.
Wow you guys get boned. I've never paid a single bank charge. No charge for cheques, bank transfers, cash withdrawals or pay-ins, standing orders, direct debits, nothing - so long as I don't go overdrawn... No charge or interest on my CC either since I pay off the full balance each month.

Seriously, they limit the number of times you can speak to a clerk? WTF?

Though it helps I still have my student account a lot of banks in UK are trying to get people to pay monthly fees now.

30. Re: Steam Wallet Beta Sep 14, 2010, 13:09 DG

No complaints here while I can continue to make my purchases using my CC. Features I don't want but don't have to use are just features available for other people so why should I care?

This'll be for store cards, gift vouchers, people who don't have CC. Nothing useful for me there, but probably for other people, especially people who can't get a credit card. Some cards/countries people might get thumped with a charge for buying in $USD, so this lets them have 1 charge instead of lots. Perhaps in future I mind find it convenient for micro-transactions.

Funds added to the Steam Wallet are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Whilst of course it's important to know this, and yes it's a "bad thing", it's no different to a gift card. Holding a refundable balance likely would mean being subject to a raft of regulations - basically because they're being a bank - in every single country where the Wallet feature is available.

'Course my opinion would be rather more caustic if they took away the regular payment option...

ps. I have savings at 2.85% here in UK, though I keep an eye on moneysavingexpert.com which tracks good rates. Still about half inflation though

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles
32. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles Sep 12, 2010, 17:06 DG

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 12, 2010, 15:03:
The problem is that they aren't converging in the middle. 'Convergence' suggests that you should be getting games that are 50% PC style and 50% console style. People are pissed off because they're getting 15% PC and 85% console.
Hmm. Games released on consoles do often feel like they've been dragged massively towards console. But consoles have been dragged massively towards PC too. Halo is the iconic console shooter but say 2 years before it's release it'd have been unthinkable as a console game. Shit, just having online MP made it 85% PC.

Fallout 3? Sure it's "consolised", but to a console gamer who'd played on a friend's PC once or twice, it's a thoroughbred PC game.

The issue is, at least to us PC gamers, console games have benefited from some of the increased depth and complexity that was normal on PC, while PC games with console releases often feel restricted and dumbed-down.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Soviet Arcade Sep 10, 2010, 13:07 DG

What's the general social perception of drink driving in the US? Here in UK for most people it'd be a major faux pas and people are highly likely to remind you you're driving if you order 1 beer.

Penalty is serious too, 1 year automatic ban plus up to 5k fine and/or 6m in the clink. For a first offence.

(Of course there's always the "other people", and people do get caught out the morning after)

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed
15. Re: PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed Sep 9, 2010, 13:15 DG

well this is irritating. No doubt an old story for anyone with PC ME. I have to sign up for some special mass effect webpage in order to buy the DLC, which has to be bought using basically the xbox live system. I.e., you have to buy "points" in chunks of 800/1200/1600 and funnily enough everything (except Shadowbroker) is costs some number that is not one of the above.

If you want to buy all 3 of the mission DLC, you get left with a balance that happens to be the same as all of the horse armour. Or you could leave it for perhaps more DLC later, though of course it's not enough for the mission DLC so you'll have to buy more points and have even more left over.

What a load of shit. At least with MS points you can spend it on a large range of games, so the rounding ends up trivial.

Why can't I just, you know, fucking buy this shit using a credit card on steam? Preferably for less than the game itself cost

News Comments > PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed
3. Re: PC Mass Effect 2 DLC Fixed Sep 8, 2010, 12:55 DG

I'm about to start playing ME2; is any of the DLC worth getting, and better to get before starting?  

News Comments > Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor
18. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 12:47 DG

I'm not sure why everybody continues reporting on the antics of this man who has been thoroughly discredited and holds no moral or political weight whatsoever. I expect people cringe if they hear Jack Thomson has come out on their side.  

News Comments > Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned
18. Re: Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned Sep 7, 2010, 13:56 DG

2nd playthrough? I liked the game a lot, but I'd have to love seriously love a game to play though any SP more than once, especially one I've already sunk nearly 80 hours into.

If I didn't have a "to play" list so long I might have considered blitzing though the main missions + the better sides if there was some option to just not bother spawning the crates or drops of trash.

News Comments > Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned
2. Re: Borderlands Level Cap Raise Planned Sep 6, 2010, 13:50 DG

they didn't want players to be required to pay for it,
these guys evidently have no idea how the gaming industry operates.

Which is nice.

Anyway, finished Borderlands doing every single mission found (sides and all, except the Knoxx "secret" boss thing) and all the DLC except the boring Moxxi tournament thing, and still don't think I'm even at 50. Everyone doing co-op or farming? Can't be bothered with a 2nd run through

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2010, 06:28 DG

The United States is behind the wall of secrecy surrounding global trade talks to combat counterfeiting, say EU policy sources, who claim that American officials are refusing to let their European counterparts publish the draft agreement online.
No really? The secrecy has caused quite a kerfuffle at the EU. Still they went along with it.

1670 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo