Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands Patch Next Month
15. Re: Borderlands Patch Next Month Oct 28, 2010, 16:34 DG

Erm, now that I'm done rambling, three Q's:

- Am I right in thinking that the character & backpack is consistent regardless of PT? In other words, I can keep swapping between PT1 & PT2 and it's always the same character with the same stats and items?

- Anyone else's FPS gone to shit since Claptrap DLC? I took a break from Borderlands then back into it for Claptrap and found my video config had been reset. Put the settings back and it's unplayable, even putting everything to low except the resolution is choppy.

- Is Claw doable on PT1 at L48?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands Patch Next Month
14. Re: Borderlands Patch Next Month Oct 28, 2010, 16:29 DG

Flatline wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:52:
[...] What I did play of the DLC threw insane amounts of rare loot at me.
Yeah, I'm still on PT1 and there is vastly more purple and orange loot. I had assumed if it was triggered after I reached level 47, since even going back to Supermacus Sweep there was lots of purple.

[Claptrap spoiler: BTW at the end of Claptrap you get to raid a "giftshop" which has about a dozen red chests, and again each time you load the game. Not that great loot but pretty much renders looting pointless since it's in the centre of town, no hassle to get there.]

(I'm still on PT1 because I bought late, still have to do the brains for whatshisname, a Supermarcus Sweep and two of Moxxi's crapfests. Well I might have a go at Craw but I'll only be L48 after doing the above.)

Flatline wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:52:
I've noticed that higher level weapons aren't necessarily better weapons in the game. The escalation of weapon ability/quality needs to be a little higher than it is at the current moment, because even in Diablo games you are updating *some* piece of equipment once or twice a level usually.
So true. My primary weapon is an assault rifle I got, I dunno, maybe L30 or so. Dmg is only 125 but fire rate 15, x1 corrosive, accuracy >85% and the Soldier tree upgrades + heavy gunner mods suit this well. Superb for armour and unarmed enemies usually aren't much bother anyway. It carved through Knoxx like butter and [Claptrap spoiler: when I faced KnoxxTrap I just stood there shooting his face with it and he went down without even having chance to shoot back.]

I actually favour this over a rifle that has the same stats except dmg is ~220 and no corrosive. I think I've played about 3/4 of the game with the same rifle just with a damage upgrade, because the one I had before it also lasted me ages and was identical bar lower damage. Admittedly it's showing it's age now and I've been wanting an upgrade for a while now, but for some reason the game only shows me decent weapons that are not rifles.

I think I've changed my shield maybe twice in the last 15 levels? My usual mod (heavyweapons) I've swapped once since I found a great one in Rust Commons East. I have swapped the ammo-regeneration spare and a shield-regenerating one that I've never had to use.

Otherwise I've only been swapping sniper rifles (though really there's not much diff between them) and I did find a pistol which is more like an awesome sniper-shotgun.

The above pistol is actually one of only 2 good orange weapon I've found. Most of the time they're actually shit weapons but have a +16 ammo regeneration or something. What's the point in that when I carry 960 bullets and have a regen mod if needed?

I don't get how weapons are valued either. Much of the time I'm choosing which of two weapons to sell and it's an easy choice to keep the one worth 1/3 as much, because it's better in every way. I think all the weapons I have ready are valued under $100,000 while I'm selling $1m shitty ones. The rarity colouring also seems to have little to do with actual quality, again often dumping blues, purples and oranges in favour of a green.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched Oct 23, 2010, 10:00 DG

I've played several games and not encountered any significant issues. There are some unbalanced things like maritime food, the AI is poor with combat... But I don't think it would be fair to portray the game as abnormally buggy.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
34. Re: Games... Oct 23, 2010, 08:01 DG

Ant wrote on Oct 23, 2010, 01:19:
OK, let's talk about current, newest games. Which is better? AMD or Intel CPU
Smash Stop thinking that the brand is the most important thing. It's not important, it doesn't even matter.

Figure out how much you want to spend, price up some options then hit up some benchmarks to see what specific CPU is fastest for that amount of money.

I dunno why some people [edit: not referring to anyone in particular] insist on trying to turn PC hardware into some Xbox vs PS3 type fanboy shit. Have they bought shares or are they just total suckers?

P.s. surprised your Linux system is slow, I have Ubuntu on a box 'o bits with a AMD 3700+ (with 2gb very fast Mushkin) that flies.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2010, 09:54.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
8. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix Oct 22, 2010, 16:03 DG

kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:40:
Would an AMD/ATI combo system be less expensive but just as good as a Intel/nVidia combo?
Erm, probably? Bit vague there.

Hit up a few reviews & benchmarks for AMD chips + motherboards, do same for similarily priced Intel setup and pick whatever is best for your dollar.

Rinse & repeat for graphics cards.

It's tempting to take your post as a kind of "does AMD suck?" type question, in which case all I have to say is I've owned multiple AMD, Intel, ATI and Nividia products and overall have no preference. Always go with whatever is best for your dollar at the time.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week
12. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week Oct 19, 2010, 13:44 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 14:46:
[...] but it's an improvement over Civ4-BTS
Ooh controversial! Not sure you'd get many agreeing with you on Civ site forums, though I think they'd still be plenty grumpy if hookers and blow were thrown in. Personally I think Civ4-BTS is probably my favourite Civ, not counting the rose-tinted original and Alpha Centauri.

I am liking V though, but I haven't quite decided whether I like what they've taken out. On the one hand, it doesn't feel that dumbed-down and cutting time-sucking mundane stuff is a good move. On the other, some of that micro is what made learning the game in detail rewarding, some of it actually satisfying, and it's almost irritating how much less it matters exactly where you put down your city.

I do think they should be getting some major fixes out there before even announcing any paid DLC.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2010, 13:52.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 19, 2010, 13:24 DG

Hmm, the bugs are making me wonder if I might be regretting my pre-order. Picked Ars for the first read and it was pretty damning on the technical issues, then Joystiq who just says "How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?" Ouch.

Still got quite a few games to play and not a lot of time for gaming so might try to put this one off until after some patching.

News Comments > Steam Passes 30M Users
29. Re: Steam Passes 30M Users Oct 18, 2010, 14:17 DG

30m active users, is a lot. I wonder what the attach rate is?

For a little context the 360 has sold ~41m units per Wikipedia, according to this page "Microsoft says about half the [XBL] service’s 25 million users paid an annual fee to play games online".

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 18, 2010, 13:48 DG

Meh, blatant trolling for hits.

Controllers are far better for sports, fighting, and platformers while KB+mouse are vastly better for FPS and strategy. It's not a debate, there's no discussion worth pursuing, it's very obvious and I don't think I've ever heard it disputed by anybody who's spent much time with both.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: chest compressions Oct 16, 2010, 17:29 DG

main thing to note from the study is how low the chances are with CPR.

Training makes a huge difference yet still it's low. Of course, some have no chance unless they happen to be in an ER at the time, but paddles are where it's at. Dramatically higher chance of survival AND faster so less likely to have brain damage from lack of O2.

...says me who's never got around to the first aid course I've been intending to do for years

News Comments > Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners?
26. Re: Early DNF Access for All Steam Borderlands Owners? Oct 14, 2010, 17:50 DG

I enjoyed Borderlands and certainly got my money's worth, even just doing singleplayer. But "it's always just on the cusp of greatness but never quite goes far enough" does sum it up IMHO, though I have a pretty high bar for a "great" game and it can fall quite well short to still have been well worth the money and more importantly time spent playing.

My biggest gripe is the loot: there's TONS of it and 99% is trash. May be worth hunting for a mod or something that will automatically get rid of dropped loot that is crappier than you have, just so you don't have to waste time having a look at it.

Far as the DLC goes, the Moxxi one is pants (boring and highly-repetitive arenas); Dr Ned might be good if you play it early on (I played it after the main game so was 1-shot killing just about everything); Knoxx is the best, and I haven't got around to the Claptrap one (though I will).

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Plans
8. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 14:42 DG

Pretty much every Civ game needs quite a lot of tweaking & fixing to make right, but does get a lot of support.  

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
18. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 10, 2010, 15:36 DG

Paketep wrote on Oct 10, 2010, 14:16:
Yeah, because Valve and MS are the same, have done the same damage to PC gaming, and have the same potential to do damage in the future.

You amaze me, sCary. Didn't you learn anything in all your years running the Shack?
Err, he doesn't say Steam (or GfWL) is hurting the industry, only specific policies. The gist I get is he's complaining that for everything to work together it's either everything on Steam, everything on GfWL or neither.

Entire quote from TFA is:
"[We] want people to be able to play together and right now if a guy buys a game on Games for Windows and a guy buys a game on Steam - they can't play together, If another guy bought it in a retail store, he can't play with the first two guys."

"Right now we're like 'Please, work together'. Our big concern right now is that these silos are being built. Everybody's separating out and it's really... as a developer who just wants gamers to be able to play games together, it's frustrating right now. Things like that are hurting the PC industry for gamers. This is frustrating for everybody right now."
My take on that is he's annoyed that they're basically faced with exclusive options for distribution. Much as I'd take Steam over any other any day, take my personal preference out and I can see the point. I'd be annoyed if large stores started demanding exclusive rights.

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
17. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 13:30 DG

Somewhat bizarre article, covers all the main points but completely half-assed. I kind of get the impression this Divnich gave him all the key points and the writer just didn't have an understanding of what he's writing about.  

News Comments > New Steam Client
2. Re: New Steam Client Oct 5, 2010, 15:36 DG

Bah Steam being a PITA since this update. It oculdnt find connection so I had to delete clientregistry.blob, which it took ages to re-download and now it's barely got any connection for the Civ V update (yeah I tried resetting the DL location).  

News Comments > Mac Left 4 Dead by Halloween?
6. Re: Mac Left 4 Dead by Halloween? Oct 4, 2010, 14:05 DG

A Mac owner that doesn't know how/want to install Windows?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 3, 2010, 18:31 DG

I'm enjoying it but it needs quite a bit of work with the AI and balance. Not much new there mind you, and if the previous games are anything to go by it's likely to get a lot of support.  

News Comments > Manual Borderlands Patch
4. Re: Manual Borderlands Patch Sep 30, 2010, 17:59 DG

I guess it required a fix in a map, which means reissuing the whole file (nobody seems to like delta updating, I guess chances of it not working properly are high).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2010, 12:12 DG

If he's had a moan to someone who has agreed with him, well people are prone to take that like some concrete confirmation even though they know the other person at best only has the same limited info that they do.

Once people think their views have been verified they'll pretty much disregard all information that runs contrary to it, and anything that can possibly be twisted into supporting their idea will be so twisted. If someone is challenging their position then the effect is even stronger, to the point that people feel justified in making shit up because they're so convinced they're in the right even once they've admitted to themselves they don't have any facts to back up their argument at all.

IIRC it's fairly basic psychology though dunno what it's called to google an article. What was I saying about being sure of things even after realising you don't have facts? Connected to confirmation bias and rationalisation though.

News Comments > Civilization V and Demo Released
15. Re: Simpler Civilization? Sep 21, 2010, 14:10 DG

BtS can turn off vassalage (and spying) in the custom game options IIRC.

Agreed you can play Civ without knowing half the detail. IMHO main thing to know about is working tiles and having decent tactics for an efficient early game (i.e. the first half-dozen builds).

Maybe the main weakness of Civ in terms of newbie-friendliness is that the early game can seem like the easy part but is usually the most important.

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo