Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1677 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears
14. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears Dec 6, 2010, 16:49 DG

Nice, I should be playing this in a couple of weeks

BTW does the game run fine on a 4850? Debating grabbing a 5870 on sale but it's still quite a big chunk of change and probably will be CPU-starved since I've only got a E8400 (3ghz Core2Duo).

Next big upgrade probably not for best part of a year though I'll only be gaming much from mid December to May or so. Er OK I'm rambling now...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support
7. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 18:18 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 16:01:
I know many other countries have the government rate their media though, like the UK, so I guess it seems normal in some places.
Nothing wrong with ratings IMO, provided they are administered well (the UK's is independent of government, BTW).

It's just a guide for people who have preferences, enforced by stores not selling to minors to give parents some chance. If you're an adult you're basically unaffected and it's probably unusual to find a 15 year old who doesn't have GTA or whatever.

I'd actually say that ratings act more to alleviate censorship. I have little doubt that if there wasn't an 18 certificate not only would more movies/games be banned (in practice hardly any are) but much more pressure would be applied to tone down risky films/games. As it stands the argument "it was made for adults and has an 18 certificate" goes a long way (unless you write for the Daily Fail of course). True a whopping 2% if films made cuts last year, but probably all of them did so to achieve a lower rating for marketing reasons.

Banning on the other hand...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 3, 2010, 18:54 DG

Ratty wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 11:02:
Agreed. The corporatized media has failed to do its job. Something like Wikileaks evolving to take its place is inevitable.
Hmm, I've been impressed by the coverage, at least the BBC and the Guardian.

Neither are really "corporate" though, they're both "owned" by trusts.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2010, 17:03 DG

For me (in UK)

Launch time: online retail cheapest, often worth waiting for the mail though they've been getting better recently.
After launch: online retail slightly cheaper but usually not enough to wait for the mail. Varies though, mainly by publisher.
Sales: steam hands-down.

Though when I say "online retail" I mean the cheapest of them, usually Play or Amazon. So I'm comparing one digital-delivery company with the best of all online-retail companies.

B&M retail doesn't even come close on pricing, never mind availability. One section of shelves containing random overpriced games back in the furthest corner of the store. Only thing stopping me celebrating the death of retail is I suspect the lack of retail will be off-putting for some potential future pc-gamers.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Nov 18, 2010, 13:14 DG

I can't think of a game I haven't finished. No I lie, Rome: Total War, which I got a good way in before I could tolerate it no more.

Though, I do tend to be relatively conservative with my buys, and I'm not counting a couple of games I bought in a Steam sale and haven't got started on.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Xbox DLC Announced
13. Re: Fallout New Vegas Xbox DLC Announced Nov 17, 2010, 12:54 DG

I reckon most likely it to be out on PC after say, 6 months max?  

News Comments > Shogun 2 in March 2011
6. Re: Shogun 2 in March 2011 Nov 11, 2010, 17:15 DG

joe2tiger wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 15:05:
My favorite Total War was the original. Yeah MW2 had more features, but I love the exotic location of Japan more.
Same, though possibly more because it was relatively simple and battle-orientated. Last one I bought was Rome and hated the strategy map crap.

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
70. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 15:50 DG

OK, I'll buy the argument that retailers do not want to be stocking a game that requires the Steam client. Only obvious solution I see to that is
a) both Steam and non-steam versions of games are released. Good for some gamers who don't like steam but a significant nuisance and costly for developers who now have to maintain two SKUs. In the long run probably best option as makes it more likely a decent Steam competitor could enter the market.
b) when Steam is being installed from a disk it could default to a "Lite" version that only shows the Library. No benefit for the gamers who don't like Steam and only partially appeasing retailers but no extra hassle for developers and should be fairly minimal for Valve.

But in general, what a bunch of babies. Steam is hugely popular because it is good. OK so some issues, but for most they are vastly over compensated for. Excellent service, great features, highly convenient, vastly bigger range than B&M...

On the whole the prices are pretty good. I often find games a little cheaper at an e-tailer, but then there's the sales. Notice though that when games are on Steam at full RRP while stores are discounting, it's the same publishers. This is because they have agreements with distributors - the price is higher on Steam to appease retail.

Also, if you're a big retailer you should not be anonymously criticising Steam (or anything else). If you're not willing to put your name to what you say then why the fuck are you saying it? How lame is that?

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2010, 15:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2010, 16:01 DG

I was out for jury duty myself today! Spent the morning waiting with ~25 people (here a lot of people are called then selection round 2 takes place) in a cold hall for most of the morning, finally shuffled into court in order that the judge could tell us it'd been settled and we were dismissed.

Doing my civic duty felt like a big waste of time with negligible consideration of the jurors, but then again sure beats having to sit for one of the really nasty cases that go on and on.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Announced
46. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 19:41 DG

Halo wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 14:38:
This isn't about greed it's about business.
The two are far from mutually exclusive. Most businesses turning a reasonable profit are actually doing so by adding utility in some way. Greedy business wants to turn as much profit as possible by any means.

Anyhow, microtransactions are very badly suited to MP gaming. Fancy a game of chess where players can buy extra pawns, and every month new upgraded pieces are introduced to keep sales coming in? Or how about a new map every couple of months, that hardly any servers host because they keep losing half their players when it loads in the rotation?

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 19:46.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
18. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 3, 2010, 18:03 DG

Creston wrote on Nov 2, 2010, 18:29:
Hehe, Craw at level 48. Did you do even do damage against him? :)
Yeah, got like 1 bullet into a weak spot and was immediately annihilated.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
10. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 2, 2010, 18:05 DG

El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2010, 16:55:
And I hate Gearbox for STILL making weapons disappear. I had the mother of all shotguns, even good at mid range, but got killed in a very tough firefight. When I got revived, the shotgun was gone from my inventory. I HATE YOU, GUYS! Stole my uber-shotgun, you... ARGH! *nerdrage*
Only time I've lost stuff after getting killed was the first (maybe before a patch? Dunno) and I got it all back from the spot I was killed.

Enemies now scale to new level caps throughout the whole game as long as play through 2 has been completed.
Just about to start PT2, finishing PT1 at level 48 (I can recommend not trying to defeat Craw at that level). Please don't tell me it's going to be like the Dr Ned DLC where everything is one-shot kills? Or will they at least level as far as 50/61?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 29, 2010, 12:48 DG

Like many of these polls, the companies doing the polling have a vested interest in the results--in this case Symantec sells its own complete security suite. But that by itself doesn't necessarily make the findings less credible or relevant.
Er, lack of independence is a major detraction from credibility. Great journalism there cnet.

Even without that, "When asked if they run a complete security suite, 58 percent said yes. But Symantec's scans found only 37 percent fully protected" immediately raises a question that maybe only n00bs agreed to Symantec performing a scan?

News Comments > .plan to Tweet
5. Re: .plan to Tweet Oct 29, 2010, 12:36 DG

shul wrote on Oct 29, 2010, 12:14:
Blue,
I am a huge .plan updates fan on bluesnews, as you may recall, but maybe it's time to switch to important twitter accounts on blues news as a side panel?

carmack, epic, and now icculus, it begs the question..

shul
I'd agree but it should be presented differently. .plan files were updated infrequently and each generally held significant value (if said dev was relevant to you). Tweets, not so much.

Perhaps presentation should be the say the most recent 5 entire tweets from a list of "significant people", perhaps customisable.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch Next Month
15. Re: Borderlands Patch Next Month Oct 28, 2010, 16:34 DG

Erm, now that I'm done rambling, three Q's:

- Am I right in thinking that the character & backpack is consistent regardless of PT? In other words, I can keep swapping between PT1 & PT2 and it's always the same character with the same stats and items?

- Anyone else's FPS gone to shit since Claptrap DLC? I took a break from Borderlands then back into it for Claptrap and found my video config had been reset. Put the settings back and it's unplayable, even putting everything to low except the resolution is choppy.

- Is Claw doable on PT1 at L48?

News Comments > Borderlands Patch Next Month
14. Re: Borderlands Patch Next Month Oct 28, 2010, 16:29 DG

Flatline wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:52:
[...] What I did play of the DLC threw insane amounts of rare loot at me.
Yeah, I'm still on PT1 and there is vastly more purple and orange loot. I had assumed if it was triggered after I reached level 47, since even going back to Supermacus Sweep there was lots of purple.

[Claptrap spoiler: BTW at the end of Claptrap you get to raid a "giftshop" which has about a dozen red chests, and again each time you load the game. Not that great loot but pretty much renders looting pointless since it's in the centre of town, no hassle to get there.]

(I'm still on PT1 because I bought late, still have to do the brains for whatshisname, a Supermarcus Sweep and two of Moxxi's crapfests. Well I might have a go at Craw but I'll only be L48 after doing the above.)

Flatline wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:52:
I've noticed that higher level weapons aren't necessarily better weapons in the game. The escalation of weapon ability/quality needs to be a little higher than it is at the current moment, because even in Diablo games you are updating *some* piece of equipment once or twice a level usually.
So true. My primary weapon is an assault rifle I got, I dunno, maybe L30 or so. Dmg is only 125 but fire rate 15, x1 corrosive, accuracy >85% and the Soldier tree upgrades + heavy gunner mods suit this well. Superb for armour and unarmed enemies usually aren't much bother anyway. It carved through Knoxx like butter and [Claptrap spoiler: when I faced KnoxxTrap I just stood there shooting his face with it and he went down without even having chance to shoot back.]

I actually favour this over a rifle that has the same stats except dmg is ~220 and no corrosive. I think I've played about 3/4 of the game with the same rifle just with a damage upgrade, because the one I had before it also lasted me ages and was identical bar lower damage. Admittedly it's showing it's age now and I've been wanting an upgrade for a while now, but for some reason the game only shows me decent weapons that are not rifles.

I think I've changed my shield maybe twice in the last 15 levels? My usual mod (heavyweapons) I've swapped once since I found a great one in Rust Commons East. I have swapped the ammo-regeneration spare and a shield-regenerating one that I've never had to use.

Otherwise I've only been swapping sniper rifles (though really there's not much diff between them) and I did find a pistol which is more like an awesome sniper-shotgun.

The above pistol is actually one of only 2 good orange weapon I've found. Most of the time they're actually shit weapons but have a +16 ammo regeneration or something. What's the point in that when I carry 960 bullets and have a regen mod if needed?

I don't get how weapons are valued either. Much of the time I'm choosing which of two weapons to sell and it's an easy choice to keep the one worth 1/3 as much, because it's better in every way. I think all the weapons I have ready are valued under $100,000 while I'm selling $1m shitty ones. The rarity colouring also seems to have little to do with actual quality, again often dumping blues, purples and oranges in favour of a green.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Patched Oct 23, 2010, 10:00 DG

I've played several games and not encountered any significant issues. There are some unbalanced things like maritime food, the AI is poor with combat... But I don't think it would be fair to portray the game as abnormally buggy.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
34. Re: Games... Oct 23, 2010, 08:01 DG

Ant wrote on Oct 23, 2010, 01:19:
OK, let's talk about current, newest games. Which is better? AMD or Intel CPU
Smash Stop thinking that the brand is the most important thing. It's not important, it doesn't even matter.

Figure out how much you want to spend, price up some options then hit up some benchmarks to see what specific CPU is fastest for that amount of money.

I dunno why some people [edit: not referring to anyone in particular] insist on trying to turn PC hardware into some Xbox vs PS3 type fanboy shit. Have they bought shares or are they just total suckers?

P.s. surprised your Linux system is slow, I have Ubuntu on a box 'o bits with a AMD 3700+ (with 2gb very fast Mushkin) that flies.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2010, 09:54.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
8. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix Oct 22, 2010, 16:03 DG

kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:40:
Would an AMD/ATI combo system be less expensive but just as good as a Intel/nVidia combo?
Erm, probably? Bit vague there.

Hit up a few reviews & benchmarks for AMD chips + motherboards, do same for similarily priced Intel setup and pick whatever is best for your dollar.

Rinse & repeat for graphics cards.

It's tempting to take your post as a kind of "does AMD suck?" type question, in which case all I have to say is I've owned multiple AMD, Intel, ATI and Nividia products and overall have no preference. Always go with whatever is best for your dollar at the time.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week
12. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V DLC Next Week Oct 19, 2010, 13:44 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 14:46:
[...] but it's an improvement over Civ4-BTS
Ooh controversial! Not sure you'd get many agreeing with you on Civ site forums, though I think they'd still be plenty grumpy if hookers and blow were thrown in. Personally I think Civ4-BTS is probably my favourite Civ, not counting the rose-tinted original and Alpha Centauri.

I am liking V though, but I haven't quite decided whether I like what they've taken out. On the one hand, it doesn't feel that dumbed-down and cutting time-sucking mundane stuff is a good move. On the other, some of that micro is what made learning the game in detail rewarding, some of it actually satisfying, and it's almost irritating how much less it matters exactly where you put down your city.

I do think they should be getting some major fixes out there before even announcing any paid DLC.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2010, 13:52.

1677 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo