Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: WoW ownership Dec 15, 2010, 16:51 DG

Cram wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 14:39:
[...] arguing against a DUI when you've failed every test and needed to go to the hospital to have your stomach pumped.
Cars make for decent analogy for my position.

I own my car. I get to do what I want with it in my private drive. I don't get to do what I want with it on the road (because it affects others) and I don't get to copy the design and make another car. I do get to sell it.

MMO*'s however are more like public transport.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 15, 2010, 16:42 DG

Performance step is a bit disappointing, mostly due to TMC completely failing to do 32nm. In a year or so with them going 28nm (assuming they can get it to actually work at volume) should be quite something though.

Knew I was being impatient getting a 4850, should have waited for the 5850 which looks to have been a fantastic buy. Now I'll be getting a 6950 and no doubt wishing I could have hung on for a 7050 or whatever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2010, 14:36 DG

I'm kind of liking not having to upgrade my PC all the time TBH, especially given the cost of a high-end card compared to how little time I have to play.

I'm not too fussed about graphics either, if they hit the wall and have to find other avenues to innovate then great.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Dec 13, 2010, 17:32 DG

Excellent vid. Shame all pre-rendered, but anyway.

Skipped through the long gameplay video too. Both reminded me a bit of Mass Effect.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
5. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Dec 13, 2010, 17:07 DG

Release Notes link still there on the Vista64 page:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/1012releasenotes.aspx
though "Due to routine maintenance, AMD's web site is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. This area will be back online as soon as possible."

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Announced
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:05 DG

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:49:
I'm also curious as to which companions will carry over from ME2.
IIRC there was some statement stating ME2 choices would substantially impact ME3.

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Plans
4. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Dec 11, 2010, 16:20 DG

Wow, that's a massive change. Many necessary/improvements, but guess many of my tactics and strategies just went out the window. Glad I haven't invested that much time in this one yet...

Promotions must be picked the turn they're earned
That's going to get really irritating really quick.

News Comments > Civilization V Pack Next Week
6. Re: Civilization IV Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 14:26 DG

Paketep wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:19:
Wasn't Borderlands the one that they sold some kind of definitive edition and THEN announced that yet another DLC was in the works?.

Damned publishers.
Borderlands GOTY has all 4 DLC, though it's not on the disk, you have to download.

News Comments > Civilization V Pack Next Week
4. Re: Civilization IV? Dec 9, 2010, 14:23 DG

Spektr wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:13:
I think I will pass on the DLCs and wait till they are collected into a proper add-on. This price is prohibitive.
Ditto, though I doubt I'll even get the package until that's on sale. It's not anything like good value even before considering free community stuff.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears
14. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Nears Dec 6, 2010, 16:49 DG

Nice, I should be playing this in a couple of weeks

BTW does the game run fine on a 4850? Debating grabbing a 5870 on sale but it's still quite a big chunk of change and probably will be CPU-starved since I've only got a E8400 (3ghz Core2Duo).

Next big upgrade probably not for best part of a year though I'll only be gaming much from mid December to May or so. Er OK I'm rambling now...

News Comments > Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support
7. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 5, 2010, 18:18 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 16:01:
I know many other countries have the government rate their media though, like the UK, so I guess it seems normal in some places.
Nothing wrong with ratings IMO, provided they are administered well (the UK's is independent of government, BTW).

It's just a guide for people who have preferences, enforced by stores not selling to minors to give parents some chance. If you're an adult you're basically unaffected and it's probably unusual to find a 15 year old who doesn't have GTA or whatever.

I'd actually say that ratings act more to alleviate censorship. I have little doubt that if there wasn't an 18 certificate not only would more movies/games be banned (in practice hardly any are) but much more pressure would be applied to tone down risky films/games. As it stands the argument "it was made for adults and has an 18 certificate" goes a long way (unless you write for the Daily Fail of course). True a whopping 2% if films made cuts last year, but probably all of them did so to achieve a lower rating for marketing reasons.

Banning on the other hand...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 3, 2010, 18:54 DG

Ratty wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 11:02:
Agreed. The corporatized media has failed to do its job. Something like Wikileaks evolving to take its place is inevitable.
Hmm, I've been impressed by the coverage, at least the BBC and the Guardian.

Neither are really "corporate" though, they're both "owned" by trusts.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2010, 17:03 DG

For me (in UK)

Launch time: online retail cheapest, often worth waiting for the mail though they've been getting better recently.
After launch: online retail slightly cheaper but usually not enough to wait for the mail. Varies though, mainly by publisher.
Sales: steam hands-down.

Though when I say "online retail" I mean the cheapest of them, usually Play or Amazon. So I'm comparing one digital-delivery company with the best of all online-retail companies.

B&M retail doesn't even come close on pricing, never mind availability. One section of shelves containing random overpriced games back in the furthest corner of the store. Only thing stopping me celebrating the death of retail is I suspect the lack of retail will be off-putting for some potential future pc-gamers.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Nov 18, 2010, 13:14 DG

I can't think of a game I haven't finished. No I lie, Rome: Total War, which I got a good way in before I could tolerate it no more.

Though, I do tend to be relatively conservative with my buys, and I'm not counting a couple of games I bought in a Steam sale and haven't got started on.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Xbox DLC Announced
13. Re: Fallout New Vegas Xbox DLC Announced Nov 17, 2010, 12:54 DG

I reckon most likely it to be out on PC after say, 6 months max?  

News Comments > Shogun 2 in March 2011
6. Re: Shogun 2 in March 2011 Nov 11, 2010, 17:15 DG

joe2tiger wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 15:05:
My favorite Total War was the original. Yeah MW2 had more features, but I love the exotic location of Japan more.
Same, though possibly more because it was relatively simple and battle-orientated. Last one I bought was Rome and hated the strategy map crap.

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
70. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 15:50 DG

OK, I'll buy the argument that retailers do not want to be stocking a game that requires the Steam client. Only obvious solution I see to that is
a) both Steam and non-steam versions of games are released. Good for some gamers who don't like steam but a significant nuisance and costly for developers who now have to maintain two SKUs. In the long run probably best option as makes it more likely a decent Steam competitor could enter the market.
b) when Steam is being installed from a disk it could default to a "Lite" version that only shows the Library. No benefit for the gamers who don't like Steam and only partially appeasing retailers but no extra hassle for developers and should be fairly minimal for Valve.

But in general, what a bunch of babies. Steam is hugely popular because it is good. OK so some issues, but for most they are vastly over compensated for. Excellent service, great features, highly convenient, vastly bigger range than B&M...

On the whole the prices are pretty good. I often find games a little cheaper at an e-tailer, but then there's the sales. Notice though that when games are on Steam at full RRP while stores are discounting, it's the same publishers. This is because they have agreements with distributors - the price is higher on Steam to appease retail.

Also, if you're a big retailer you should not be anonymously criticising Steam (or anything else). If you're not willing to put your name to what you say then why the fuck are you saying it? How lame is that?

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2010, 15:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2010, 16:01 DG

I was out for jury duty myself today! Spent the morning waiting with ~25 people (here a lot of people are called then selection round 2 takes place) in a cold hall for most of the morning, finally shuffled into court in order that the judge could tell us it'd been settled and we were dismissed.

Doing my civic duty felt like a big waste of time with negligible consideration of the jurors, but then again sure beats having to sit for one of the really nasty cases that go on and on.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Announced
46. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Announced Nov 5, 2010, 19:41 DG

Halo wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 14:38:
This isn't about greed it's about business.
The two are far from mutually exclusive. Most businesses turning a reasonable profit are actually doing so by adding utility in some way. Greedy business wants to turn as much profit as possible by any means.

Anyhow, microtransactions are very badly suited to MP gaming. Fancy a game of chess where players can buy extra pawns, and every month new upgraded pieces are introduced to keep sales coming in? Or how about a new map every couple of months, that hardly any servers host because they keep losing half their players when it loads in the rotation?

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2010, 19:46.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
18. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 3, 2010, 18:03 DG

Creston wrote on Nov 2, 2010, 18:29:
Hehe, Craw at level 48. Did you do even do damage against him? :)
Yeah, got like 1 bullet into a weak spot and was immediately annihilated.

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo