Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1667 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 8, 2011, 13:41 DG

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:15:
The article uses a $ in "Microsoft". Seriously?
In keeping with the entire article, and the sentence it's used in especially, I'd describe it's use as "sarcastic"...

Lorcin wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 12:27:
Again whilst I think this woman is remarkably stupid the systems do seem designed to make accidental purchases easy.
No, they're designed to make intentional purchases easy.

So easy that you might do it with little thought, or to minimise opportunity to change your mind, well yeah maybe. Probably, even. But it's a bit of a leap to suggest they're trying to scam you into accidental purchases, and likely wouldn't even make sense since they probably face significant costs in processing cancellations (real people in real call centres, credit card charges not refunded and so on). DLC is such a little amount (and MS makes what, 30% of that?) I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of processing cancellations for 1/5th of accidents costs more than they made from the ones who don't cancel.

The CCV is a security tool for reducing cardholder-not-present fraud. Site's that don't use it are doing so because they're not overly concerned about having charges reversed by the card company. It's easy to see why iTunes and XBL would not be overly concerned, a fraudulent sale loses them pretty much nothing, unlike other companies who may have literally lost out on 50-95% because they shipped a physical product.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 13:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: rishis r us Feb 6, 2011, 17:16 DG

Notch’s luck was that he came across the idea of
Yeah, being in exactly the (metaphorical) right place at the right time whilst having the perception to realise it whilst also possessing the skills, talent, aptitude and dedication to take advantage of it, that's all just luck really.

Come to think about it everything worthwhile that man has ever done boils down to luck really.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:41 DG

Played a few games with cover systems and hated it. Even worse when there's some autoaim, it's like push A to kill, push B to not be killed.

More annoying though is how it changes the controls. It reminds me of games with vehicles where you have that moment while you get in or out and you're stuck for a moment while the animation plays out and there's that awkwardness where you're not quite sure exactly when the controls are switching over. Press B to come out of the cover then hold right but instead of running right your guy just performs some move to take cover behind another object. It breaks fluidity in gameplay, makes you fight the controls to do anything with precision and makes you feel like instead of being the character you're just giving him directions.

Also, for some reason crouching behind a wall doesn't count as being behind cover. Your enlarged hitbox still pokes over the top / beyond the edge or whatever, but push B and despite your body & limbs being in the same place now you are officially taking cover so can't be hit.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was but I'm sure there was a game that knew when you were right beside a wall or whatever + the direction of the camera and all it did was adapt the animations to look the part and throw grenades around/over it etc. No clumsy messing about, it just worked.

News Comments > Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion?
28. Re: Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion Feb 3, 2011, 13:07 DG

Um, at first glance these figures aren't that impressive IMHO, not for global sales.

What jumped out as interesting though is that ~$676m, or about 2/3, is being spent outside the top 10. This doesn't outright confirm but certainly doesn't contradict my (and I think the general) assumption that Steam does a good job of adding both width and depth to the market - that is good sales of both non-AAA and older titles, something stores are traditionally bad at.

News Comments > Ringo Starr Game Trademark
5. Re: Ringo Starr Game Trademark Feb 2, 2011, 12:48 DG

I think there's a lot of mucking about going to happen with the Beatles' copyrights over the next few to 20 years, under the arcane rules in both UK and US.

IMHO it's just as likely to be a defensive move to prevent unauthorised merch, of himself but possibly also to make it more difficult to use the Beatles.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 14:07 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 11:07:
I'm not giving Destructoid a hit by clicking on that... is it Sterling? Sterling is always eager to tell you how stupid you are for caring about quality or wanting something other than an online shooter.
Yep, and no you're not missing anything of any value, he's just trolling for hits.

As with much of gaming "journalism"/blogging, it starts with a complaint followed by insulting some semi-anonymous "crowd", next set up a straw-man argument and attack it using illogical or unreasonable examples.

At no point does he attempt to decipher the full meaning nor explore the circumstances of even his stated "I'm not spending $60 for eight hours". Let's take literally 2 minutes to consider possibilities that spring immediately to mind:
- $60 is a lot of money which many people have to spread over a long period. Even if it is an awesome 8 hours, that might be followed with a lot more hours of boredom.
- Hardly any games actually offer 8 hours of awesome singleplayer. Concluding $60 is too much for 8 hours is a simple heuristic that very plausibly is pretty damn accurate for many people.
- 8 hours indicates linearity and some people's idea of awesome involves exploration, hence the popularity of sandbox games.

He goes on to make various examples to support his claim, all of which fail. Firstly the economics of time or whatever, e.g. $30 blurays for 2 hours, even though the same people very probably are not paying $30 for blurays for just that reason. Regardless, I can't think of any singleplayer game that contains a sum total of the awesome equal to that found in two of my favourite movies, yet I'm (and evidently, lots of people like me are) still reluctant to buy blurays! Aren't blurays a good example in favour of the "I'm not spending $60 for eight hours" crowd?

Or how about going to the theatre? So... Nevermind that people respect a theatre provides equipment/accommodation for your group and so on? How about that a day out involving the theatre is highly likely to be at least a good time irrespective of the quality of the film?

The basic premise that $60 for 8 hours can be worth it and even good value is true. But instead he positions the argument as being that people are wrong to generally assume 8 hour games aren't worth $60. This is always going to be wrong because then he's disputing a person's assessment of their own personal opinion.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
58. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 13:05 DG

Verno wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 10:18:
It's a company selling you a product, not a sports team. Yes ignore all logic and reason to score points with a faceless corporation, woohoo.

One of the reasons I don't really get into sports teams is because they are just companies selling you a product/service...

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
57. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 12:57 DG

Good for giving the detail up-front, at least.

Good for using Steam DRM, which is relatively reasonable, something of a standard and probably of all "online" DRM, the one probably least likely to go bust and most likely for some kind of fix to be provided if it does.

For the non-Steam version... Well, OK, I'm going to say good for obviously having spent some time trying to derive a solution which will do what they want yet is unlikely to restrict customers. In practice I'd think people can basically ignore it other than the initial EA login + if they lose internet for an extended period.

Bad for still being at least some hassle affecting consumers but not pirates.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2011, 14:03 DG

I expect copyright will block you Blue but otherwise the entire show to date is (officially) on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/show/shameless

UK Shameless was very good at least for the first few seasons, but I doubt it'd travel very well due to not only a particular British-black humour (which does seem to have a strong niche in US) but also requiring familiarity with both the reality and the stereotype of a council-housing estate. With skill, wit and aplomb the show walks a fine line between taking the piss out of housing estates, taking the piss out of the stereotype of the housing estate whilst also having an odd fond respect for the housing estate.

It's difficult to describe the "shock" element as such actions are presented in the reverse of the norm - whereas many shows will emphasise and exaggerate the slightest shocking behaviour, here it's behaviour that should be outrageous but is presented casually and often almost offhand.

The first few seasons were excellent, writers not wanting for material and a well-picked cast bringing some limelight to the likes of James McAvoy. Alas, along came a few periods of the writers seeming unable to find inspiration, much of the best of the cast moving on to bigger things and a most inconvenient timeslot so I fell out of watching it. Some folks have been telling me it's back on track though. As with nearly all UK TV it does lack the polish standard on US shows, at least the ones that come to UK TV.

News Comments > More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed
18. Re: More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed Jan 24, 2011, 17:30 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 15:26:
I honestly haven't had any of those issues, or any other issues, since the day the game came out. New Vegas has been stable and bug-free for me all along.
NV is probably the buggiest game I can remember seeing through. It CTD, which in one full-day session happened 4 times, about equal to my combined total CTD on this PC, which I built about the time SP1 was released for Vista almost 2 years ago.

By far most bugs though are in no way related to possible PC issues, and go right down to little things like the constant muttering of "I can't believe Primm wimped out and accepted NCR rule" when I instilled Meyers. I find it hard to imagine anyone paying attention isn't seeing a lot of bugs in even a short session.

I'd find it really easy to throw major criticism after major criticism at the game, the bugs, crappy combat, weak RPG elements, most importantly how uninspired most of it is... But actually for all the time you'll be sitting there having ideas for the game that very likely actually are better than many of those in the game, it does have it's moments and the other 100+ hours are in truth reasonably satisfying.

News Comments > Cannon Fodder 3 Announced
6. Re: Cannon Fodder 3 Announced Jan 19, 2011, 13:57 DG

Surprised they're not just doing a cellphone release of the classic.  

News Comments > Activision Recommends Bizarre Closure
40. Re: Activision Recommends Bizarre Closure Jan 19, 2011, 13:34 DG

I'm in UK, we... Kind of get overtime or time off in leu (TOIL).

It depends though, on industry, seniority, pay, sector, small biz vs corporate...

In general though people either get OT/TOIL or get pay that pretty much makes up for "unpaid" OT. People who don't get paid for the OT one way or the other are probably career-building, trying to catch up for being poor (or overly fussy with paperwork etc) at their job or yes, simply being done over by their employers.

It's often not obvious which of the above you fall into though, most people don't really have any objective info for what would be fair pay for them and people rationalise and warp reality to make sure they fit into the latter category regardless of what the facts say.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 18, 2011, 13:15 DG

Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 12:41:
This happens in any online (moddable) game that lasts this long.

Yes and no... Back when people were actually playing id games it was easy to filter out (or in) mods, and servers couldn't/didn't really hide what they were running. Plus, usually the dominant mod would barely change fundamental gameplay. Sure there was a lot of... variation if you played Shrub or whatever, but that was easily avoided if not your thing.

TF2 is probably the only game I've played much of where you can join a server and have no idea what you're getting. There was a site (http://tf2stats.net/blacklist) where a guy had a setup scanning servers that lie in their description, but unfortunately the guy has abandoned it.

If Valve did release a TF2 Classic mode, I only hope they lock it down.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2011, 13:04 DG

kanniballl wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 11:11:
Any idea who that is in the Wonder Woman pick in "Nobody wants Wonder Woman?"

It looks a little like a younger Robin from "How I Met Your Mother" (Cobie Smulders)

Or is it just some random model / booth girl?
It's a shoop of Cobie Smulders, from
https://fanartexhibit.wordpress.com/category/wonder-woman/
(TinEye FTW)

News Comments > Quote of the Day
25. Re: Quote of the Day Jan 6, 2011, 06:37 DG

For example, in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet work, Eden said it is 833 percent faster than the previous generation. For slideshow work, it is 333 percent faster
OMG WOW!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 06:23 DG

Yeah it's free on Android. Ad-supported, but he ad is reasonably small and doesn't show up if you disconnect mobile & wifi. I might have considered paying a trivial amount for the phone but can't see it happening on PC.

Fun game with a lot of polish, decent way to spend a train journey, break or whatever. Mostly quite easy as you'd expect, I'd presume anyone here playing it likely to go straight for trying to get 3 stars on every map.

It does generally lack a bit of genius with the level design. I'm maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through (there's a ton of levels) and there's not been many where there's something clever happening e.g. a big chain-reaction. Would be better IMHO if they cut the lesser 50% or so of the levels.

News Comments > New Steam Hardware & Software Survey
14. Re: New Steam Hardware & Software Survey Jan 4, 2011, 08:38 DG

InBlack most of the point now is that if you're upgrading OS anyway there isn't any point not going 64bit, unless you have some antique hardware.

Performance-wise, other than the memory thing there's rarely any difference, at least for consumers.

News Comments > New Steam Hardware & Software Survey
1. Re: New Steam Hardware & Software Survey Jan 3, 2011, 19:23 DG

Never fail to be surprised how low the stats are (though ~43% have 4GB or more).

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2010, 14:51 DG

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 09:14:
I beg to differ. Both the L4D games a new player benefits hugely from having played at least 1 campaign in single player. Otherwise you end up with people who don't know to right click to keep off mobs, or how to turn off flashlight near witch. Valve needs a single player infected trainer campaign too so people can learn how to pounce as a hunter (they walk around trying to scratch). Its that use of the word "any" that gets me thinking of counter examples
QFT...

News Comments > Ex-Rockstar Dev Speaks Out?
21. Re: Ex-Rockstar Dev Speaks Out? Dec 21, 2010, 13:19 DG

Cache isn't loading now but summary sounds like work to me.

Try my work (accountancy practice). Say the job budget is 35 hours. Check last year's file, budget was 45. For a more experienced employee. Check time logs, they actually took 50 - or rather that's what they logged, the unpaid isn't logged. And the work programmes have more compliance work now, and maybe the client has some complicated transactions this year.

And then there's the big firms, where posting 65 hours (contracted for 35, excess unpaid) isn't that unusual. For some people to be in at 8, out 6-7 is a good day, plus some Saturdays. This is before an additional, say hour or so each way when you're at the clients.

And no, contrary to popular belief accountants aren't well paid, not until they get up the ladder anyway.

1667 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo