Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed
18. Re: More Fallout: New Vegas DLC Confirmed Jan 24, 2011, 17:30 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2011, 15:26:
I honestly haven't had any of those issues, or any other issues, since the day the game came out. New Vegas has been stable and bug-free for me all along.
NV is probably the buggiest game I can remember seeing through. It CTD, which in one full-day session happened 4 times, about equal to my combined total CTD on this PC, which I built about the time SP1 was released for Vista almost 2 years ago.

By far most bugs though are in no way related to possible PC issues, and go right down to little things like the constant muttering of "I can't believe Primm wimped out and accepted NCR rule" when I instilled Meyers. I find it hard to imagine anyone paying attention isn't seeing a lot of bugs in even a short session.

I'd find it really easy to throw major criticism after major criticism at the game, the bugs, crappy combat, weak RPG elements, most importantly how uninspired most of it is... But actually for all the time you'll be sitting there having ideas for the game that very likely actually are better than many of those in the game, it does have it's moments and the other 100+ hours are in truth reasonably satisfying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cannon Fodder 3 Announced
6. Re: Cannon Fodder 3 Announced Jan 19, 2011, 13:57 DG

Surprised they're not just doing a cellphone release of the classic.  

News Comments > Activision Recommends Bizarre Closure
40. Re: Activision Recommends Bizarre Closure Jan 19, 2011, 13:34 DG

I'm in UK, we... Kind of get overtime or time off in leu (TOIL).

It depends though, on industry, seniority, pay, sector, small biz vs corporate...

In general though people either get OT/TOIL or get pay that pretty much makes up for "unpaid" OT. People who don't get paid for the OT one way or the other are probably career-building, trying to catch up for being poor (or overly fussy with paperwork etc) at their job or yes, simply being done over by their employers.

It's often not obvious which of the above you fall into though, most people don't really have any objective info for what would be fair pay for them and people rationalise and warp reality to make sure they fit into the latter category regardless of what the facts say.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 18, 2011, 13:15 DG

Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 12:41:
This happens in any online (moddable) game that lasts this long.

Yes and no... Back when people were actually playing id games it was easy to filter out (or in) mods, and servers couldn't/didn't really hide what they were running. Plus, usually the dominant mod would barely change fundamental gameplay. Sure there was a lot of... variation if you played Shrub or whatever, but that was easily avoided if not your thing.

TF2 is probably the only game I've played much of where you can join a server and have no idea what you're getting. There was a site (http://tf2stats.net/blacklist) where a guy had a setup scanning servers that lie in their description, but unfortunately the guy has abandoned it.

If Valve did release a TF2 Classic mode, I only hope they lock it down.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2011, 13:04 DG

kanniballl wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 11:11:
Any idea who that is in the Wonder Woman pick in "Nobody wants Wonder Woman?"

It looks a little like a younger Robin from "How I Met Your Mother" (Cobie Smulders)

Or is it just some random model / booth girl?
It's a shoop of Cobie Smulders, from
https://fanartexhibit.wordpress.com/category/wonder-woman/
(TinEye FTW)

News Comments > Quote of the Day
25. Re: Quote of the Day Jan 6, 2011, 06:37 DG

For example, in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet work, Eden said it is 833 percent faster than the previous generation. For slideshow work, it is 333 percent faster
OMG WOW!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 06:23 DG

Yeah it's free on Android. Ad-supported, but he ad is reasonably small and doesn't show up if you disconnect mobile & wifi. I might have considered paying a trivial amount for the phone but can't see it happening on PC.

Fun game with a lot of polish, decent way to spend a train journey, break or whatever. Mostly quite easy as you'd expect, I'd presume anyone here playing it likely to go straight for trying to get 3 stars on every map.

It does generally lack a bit of genius with the level design. I'm maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through (there's a ton of levels) and there's not been many where there's something clever happening e.g. a big chain-reaction. Would be better IMHO if they cut the lesser 50% or so of the levels.

News Comments > New Steam Hardware & Software Survey
14. Re: New Steam Hardware & Software Survey Jan 4, 2011, 08:38 DG

InBlack most of the point now is that if you're upgrading OS anyway there isn't any point not going 64bit, unless you have some antique hardware.

Performance-wise, other than the memory thing there's rarely any difference, at least for consumers.

News Comments > New Steam Hardware & Software Survey
1. Re: New Steam Hardware & Software Survey Jan 3, 2011, 19:23 DG

Never fail to be surprised how low the stats are (though ~43% have 4GB or more).

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2010, 14:51 DG

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2010, 09:14:
I beg to differ. Both the L4D games a new player benefits hugely from having played at least 1 campaign in single player. Otherwise you end up with people who don't know to right click to keep off mobs, or how to turn off flashlight near witch. Valve needs a single player infected trainer campaign too so people can learn how to pounce as a hunter (they walk around trying to scratch). Its that use of the word "any" that gets me thinking of counter examples
QFT...

News Comments > Ex-Rockstar Dev Speaks Out?
21. Re: Ex-Rockstar Dev Speaks Out? Dec 21, 2010, 13:19 DG

Cache isn't loading now but summary sounds like work to me.

Try my work (accountancy practice). Say the job budget is 35 hours. Check last year's file, budget was 45. For a more experienced employee. Check time logs, they actually took 50 - or rather that's what they logged, the unpaid isn't logged. And the work programmes have more compliance work now, and maybe the client has some complicated transactions this year.

And then there's the big firms, where posting 65 hours (contracted for 35, excess unpaid) isn't that unusual. For some people to be in at 8, out 6-7 is a good day, plus some Saturdays. This is before an additional, say hour or so each way when you're at the clients.

And no, contrary to popular belief accountants aren't well paid, not until they get up the ladder anyway.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2010, 09:17 DG

A lightweight free AV is hardly noticeable and despite absence of infections I don't see any reason not to have it. Set it to scan downloaded files and occasionally, when I'll be away from the PC, run a scan.

The article doesn't say whether people were removing their AV or temporarily turning it off, perhaps when it was doing a background scan while they were trying to do something else. Doesn't surprise me much though, they use Norton at work and it does slow the PC down considerably. Nothing worse than arriving back in the office at 4.45pm, turn on the machine for a "15 minute" task that takes an hour because of fucking Norton.

They should probably be more concerned about all the people who get "free Norton" with their PC/laptop and don't do anything when it expires after 3 months.

Anway, so is it worth ditching AVG, which has been fine, and going with MS Security Essentials?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: WoW ownership Dec 15, 2010, 16:51 DG

Cram wrote on Dec 15, 2010, 14:39:
[...] arguing against a DUI when you've failed every test and needed to go to the hospital to have your stomach pumped.
Cars make for decent analogy for my position.

I own my car. I get to do what I want with it in my private drive. I don't get to do what I want with it on the road (because it affects others) and I don't get to copy the design and make another car. I do get to sell it.

MMO*'s however are more like public transport.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 15, 2010, 16:42 DG

Performance step is a bit disappointing, mostly due to TMC completely failing to do 32nm. In a year or so with them going 28nm (assuming they can get it to actually work at volume) should be quite something though.

Knew I was being impatient getting a 4850, should have waited for the 5850 which looks to have been a fantastic buy. Now I'll be getting a 6950 and no doubt wishing I could have hung on for a 7050 or whatever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 14, 2010, 14:36 DG

I'm kind of liking not having to upgrade my PC all the time TBH, especially given the cost of a high-end card compared to how little time I have to play.

I'm not too fussed about graphics either, if they hit the wall and have to find other avenues to innovate then great.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Dec 13, 2010, 17:32 DG

Excellent vid. Shame all pre-rendered, but anyway.

Skipped through the long gameplay video too. Both reminded me a bit of Mass Effect.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
5. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Dec 13, 2010, 17:07 DG

Release Notes link still there on the Vista64 page:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/1012releasenotes.aspx
though "Due to routine maintenance, AMD's web site is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. This area will be back online as soon as possible."

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Announced
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 17:05 DG

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:49:
I'm also curious as to which companions will carry over from ME2.
IIRC there was some statement stating ME2 choices would substantially impact ME3.

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Plans
4. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Dec 11, 2010, 16:20 DG

Wow, that's a massive change. Many necessary/improvements, but guess many of my tactics and strategies just went out the window. Glad I haven't invested that much time in this one yet...

Promotions must be picked the turn they're earned
That's going to get really irritating really quick.

News Comments > Civilization V Pack Next Week
6. Re: Civilization IV Pack Next Week Dec 9, 2010, 14:26 DG

Paketep wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 14:19:
Wasn't Borderlands the one that they sold some kind of definitive edition and THEN announced that yet another DLC was in the works?.

Damned publishers.
Borderlands GOTY has all 4 DLC, though it's not on the disk, you have to download.

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo