Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1679 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 3, 2011, 13:15 DG

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 10:59:
# Why Credit Cards Are Not the Future of Online Payment.

Total nonsense pro-Paypal "article". It's practically a press release.
first line of FTA:
Bill Zielke is senior director of Merchant Services at PayPal,
It is a press release. I'm still wondering why Blue saw fit to link to it, best guess is how it exemplifies BS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cannon Fodder 3 Demo Plans and Specs
2. Re: Cannon Fodder 3 Demo Plans and Specs Feb 27, 2011, 08:29 DG

I'm rather wary of this remake and the screenshots aren't helping.

Still surprised they didnt just release Cannon Fodder for phones, should work well with touchscreens.

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Stock Offer
9. Re: Interstellar Marines Stock Offer Feb 27, 2011, 07:59 DG

Stormsinger wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 00:29:
I had options with my last company (who had actual games out, and a real revenue stream) and they weren't valued anywhere near $5 a share.
Whoa there. Prices of shares are completely incomparable.

A company worth $100,000 may have 100 shares each valued at $1,000, or it may have 1m each valued at $0.10. Or anything.

It might even have 99x$1,000 "A" shares + 100,000x$0.01 "B" shares, with the A & B shares having varied voting and dividend rights.

These guys have a good idea but I'm very wary about how they've gone about it. Either he's not had a sit-down with a lawyer/accountant or he's decided not to implement fairly obvious mechanisms to make the whole thing straightforward with reasonable controls for the investors.

If an indie is going to raise funding by allowing fans to buy shares I would think they should be issuing "B" shares, which would have a set % of "A" dividends and probably non-voting except for variations of dividend rights, issue of new shares, director's remuneration, sale of IP and for winding-up.

In TFA, he says he'll sell up to 100,000 of 1,211,605 shares. Therefore those 100k shares total 8.25%. For $500k. That's only reasonable if the company is worth $6m. But, there's no mention on any restriction on issuing new shares or director's remuneration. He could sell these shares then have the company issue to himself 1.2m new $0.01 B shares and suddenly all those shares you bought are only worth half as much. Or maybe the company does well and instead of paying out a dividend (8.25% of which goes to investors) maybe he just pays himself a huge bonus through payroll. Or why not just complete the game, then sell it for $1 to newco which he owns 100%.

I'd certainly be *extremely* wary that there's no offer to show accounts before making the investment. Certainly once you own shares you have the right to demand accounts. Another thing is he's saying you buy something from the company and he personally will transfer shares - I'm uncertain how enforceable this is. Some country's contract law requires a consideration. If you're paying money to the company rather than him then arguably he's making a unilateral offer which is unenforceable (it would be enforceable if you paid him the money for the shares)

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2011, 08:06.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus
48. Re: Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus Feb 23, 2011, 13:40 DG

Let's not complain about requiring a DX10 card and Vista/7. PC gamers generally spend enough time moaning about being held back by consoles that it comes across pretty silly to moan about a game requiring tech that's merely 1 year younger.

As for $60... I'll reserve judgement. The last one I played, BF2142, certainly wasn't since it was utterly broken on the Titan mode and I found only a couple of maps enjoyable in any other mode. Actually I seem to recall that the game was very buggy everywhere, but Titan was literally the worst I have ever seen, including betas.

IMHO main moaning point is the day1 DLC on top of a $60 price tag (seriously, premium price and the nickel-and-dime shit?). Not forgetting using pre-order bonuses to guarantee sales no matter if the game is shit or not.

News Comments > More Mass Effect 2 DLC?
14. Re: More Mass Effect 2 DLC? Feb 22, 2011, 14:10 DG

Enjoyed Shadow Broker, Overlord and Kasumi DLC.

TBH "an interesting character, and the mission you got to do with her was a nice diversion from the regular mission design" (spot-on description btw) is actually what I want from a DLC.

Shadow Broker and Overlord are more like mini-expansions, frankly (despite these being decent value) I'd rather pay and get a bit more content so there's actually enough there to get back into the game again. I wouldn't have bothered with them except that they were already out when I got round to playing ME2.

Worse perhaps, since they're accessible mid-game presumably for most of the early-buyers they meant another run-through.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money Feb 22, 2011, 13:45 DG

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 22:43:
Anyone know if this allows you to play past the end of the game? Or must you have a savegame to load before the end?
You need the save game.

I have no idea why they keep on doing this. Or at least they could make a special save right before the point where you're locked into the endgame.

Oh and apparently once you leave the DLC area to continue the main game, you can't go back.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: 22 Everyday Things Made Obsolete This Century Feb 13, 2011, 09:12 DG

"We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to rights restrictions"

OK, so how about not playing the advert before telling me this?

Oh well, at least I felt justified in fixing it for the future by nuking everything ad-related with Ad Block. Now the first thing to come up is that the copyright message.

ps. bit weird to not allow showing what is basically one big advert for IBM and Jeopardy.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2011, 09:18.

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
145. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 13, 2011, 09:05 DG

WyldKat wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 17:23:
Also, doesn't anyone else think that last sentence looks totally "tacked on" as it simply doesn't fit the sentence that precedes it?
Nail on head.

Personally I think the main section of text is perfectly reasonable and quite carefully written. Pick it apart and it studiously avoids pointing fingers and instead merely appeals for gamers to make the purchase. Without repeating itself it manages multiple times to emphasise that this release doesn't represent final quality and hey guys, there's only a bit over a month to wait. The opportunity for a little sales blurb is even taken.

All this is pulled off in 4 sentences, and they all flow on from each other as if from a practised hand.

Then it stumbles and blurts out the final sentence. It's highly inconsistent with the tone of what went before it, quite a change in direction.

My reading of that, just guessing of course, is a fairly smart PR wrote the piece then an exec threw it back demanding an anti-piracy comment.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2011, 07:49 DG

I would go berzerk if I was told I can only buy food from Sainsburys, or could only watch the BBC, yet people seem happily to confine their game purchasing to the stock of a single store.
Well yeah I'd go berserk too if told that yet I regularly go to the same supermarket, probably visiting the others no more than a handful of times per year. There's a big difference between going to one store because you have to vs. consistently choosing a store because it's convenient, has the products you want etc etc.

And yeah, if my supermarket didn't stock some new product I'd therefore be unlikely to buy it. Sure, if something is much more awesome I might go out of my way, but I'd have to be sold on it already.

News Comments > Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3
16. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 15:28 DG

Moon was awesome and the music hit it perfectly.

BTW if you haven't seen Moon, please do, but avoid the trailers. While the main draw of the film is watching it unfold, the trailers give pretty much the entire story away and even draw you to moments that are relatively subtly done in the film.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
16. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 15:08 DG

Tumbler wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 12:49:
(Assuming rockstar is the property of Take Two)
There's no minority interest showing up on T2's financials so looks like R is wholly owned. Little bit surprised by that though as I'd have thought the Housers would have retained an interest.

News Comments > On PC Crysis 2
6. Re: On PC Crysis 2 Feb 9, 2011, 13:27 DG

I remember when people figured out how to unlock a hidden "ultra" setting in DOOM3 then had massive tantrums when their PC couldn't handle it.

This was actually on a tech forum, in a thread that had generally been somewhat positive about the game until then.

Naturally it was all the game's fault.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 8, 2011, 13:41 DG

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:15:
The article uses a $ in "Microsoft". Seriously?
In keeping with the entire article, and the sentence it's used in especially, I'd describe it's use as "sarcastic"...

Lorcin wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 12:27:
Again whilst I think this woman is remarkably stupid the systems do seem designed to make accidental purchases easy.
No, they're designed to make intentional purchases easy.

So easy that you might do it with little thought, or to minimise opportunity to change your mind, well yeah maybe. Probably, even. But it's a bit of a leap to suggest they're trying to scam you into accidental purchases, and likely wouldn't even make sense since they probably face significant costs in processing cancellations (real people in real call centres, credit card charges not refunded and so on). DLC is such a little amount (and MS makes what, 30% of that?) I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of processing cancellations for 1/5th of accidents costs more than they made from the ones who don't cancel.

The CCV is a security tool for reducing cardholder-not-present fraud. Site's that don't use it are doing so because they're not overly concerned about having charges reversed by the card company. It's easy to see why iTunes and XBL would not be overly concerned, a fraudulent sale loses them pretty much nothing, unlike other companies who may have literally lost out on 50-95% because they shipped a physical product.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 13:57.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: rishis r us Feb 6, 2011, 17:16 DG

Notch’s luck was that he came across the idea of
Yeah, being in exactly the (metaphorical) right place at the right time whilst having the perception to realise it whilst also possessing the skills, talent, aptitude and dedication to take advantage of it, that's all just luck really.

Come to think about it everything worthwhile that man has ever done boils down to luck really.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:41 DG

Played a few games with cover systems and hated it. Even worse when there's some autoaim, it's like push A to kill, push B to not be killed.

More annoying though is how it changes the controls. It reminds me of games with vehicles where you have that moment while you get in or out and you're stuck for a moment while the animation plays out and there's that awkwardness where you're not quite sure exactly when the controls are switching over. Press B to come out of the cover then hold right but instead of running right your guy just performs some move to take cover behind another object. It breaks fluidity in gameplay, makes you fight the controls to do anything with precision and makes you feel like instead of being the character you're just giving him directions.

Also, for some reason crouching behind a wall doesn't count as being behind cover. Your enlarged hitbox still pokes over the top / beyond the edge or whatever, but push B and despite your body & limbs being in the same place now you are officially taking cover so can't be hit.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was but I'm sure there was a game that knew when you were right beside a wall or whatever + the direction of the camera and all it did was adapt the animations to look the part and throw grenades around/over it etc. No clumsy messing about, it just worked.

News Comments > Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion?
28. Re: Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion Feb 3, 2011, 13:07 DG

Um, at first glance these figures aren't that impressive IMHO, not for global sales.

What jumped out as interesting though is that ~$676m, or about 2/3, is being spent outside the top 10. This doesn't outright confirm but certainly doesn't contradict my (and I think the general) assumption that Steam does a good job of adding both width and depth to the market - that is good sales of both non-AAA and older titles, something stores are traditionally bad at.

News Comments > Ringo Starr Game Trademark
5. Re: Ringo Starr Game Trademark Feb 2, 2011, 12:48 DG

I think there's a lot of mucking about going to happen with the Beatles' copyrights over the next few to 20 years, under the arcane rules in both UK and US.

IMHO it's just as likely to be a defensive move to prevent unauthorised merch, of himself but possibly also to make it more difficult to use the Beatles.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2011, 14:07 DG

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 11:07:
I'm not giving Destructoid a hit by clicking on that... is it Sterling? Sterling is always eager to tell you how stupid you are for caring about quality or wanting something other than an online shooter.
Yep, and no you're not missing anything of any value, he's just trolling for hits.

As with much of gaming "journalism"/blogging, it starts with a complaint followed by insulting some semi-anonymous "crowd", next set up a straw-man argument and attack it using illogical or unreasonable examples.

At no point does he attempt to decipher the full meaning nor explore the circumstances of even his stated "I'm not spending $60 for eight hours". Let's take literally 2 minutes to consider possibilities that spring immediately to mind:
- $60 is a lot of money which many people have to spread over a long period. Even if it is an awesome 8 hours, that might be followed with a lot more hours of boredom.
- Hardly any games actually offer 8 hours of awesome singleplayer. Concluding $60 is too much for 8 hours is a simple heuristic that very plausibly is pretty damn accurate for many people.
- 8 hours indicates linearity and some people's idea of awesome involves exploration, hence the popularity of sandbox games.

He goes on to make various examples to support his claim, all of which fail. Firstly the economics of time or whatever, e.g. $30 blurays for 2 hours, even though the same people very probably are not paying $30 for blurays for just that reason. Regardless, I can't think of any singleplayer game that contains a sum total of the awesome equal to that found in two of my favourite movies, yet I'm (and evidently, lots of people like me are) still reluctant to buy blurays! Aren't blurays a good example in favour of the "I'm not spending $60 for eight hours" crowd?

Or how about going to the theatre? So... Nevermind that people respect a theatre provides equipment/accommodation for your group and so on? How about that a day out involving the theatre is highly likely to be at least a good time irrespective of the quality of the film?

The basic premise that $60 for 8 hours can be worth it and even good value is true. But instead he positions the argument as being that people are wrong to generally assume 8 hour games aren't worth $60. This is always going to be wrong because then he's disputing a person's assessment of their own personal opinion.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
58. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 13:05 DG

Verno wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 10:18:
It's a company selling you a product, not a sports team. Yes ignore all logic and reason to score points with a faceless corporation, woohoo.

One of the reasons I don't really get into sports teams is because they are just companies selling you a product/service...

News Comments > Dragon Age II DRM Explained
57. Re: Dragon Age II DRM Explained Feb 1, 2011, 12:57 DG

Good for giving the detail up-front, at least.

Good for using Steam DRM, which is relatively reasonable, something of a standard and probably of all "online" DRM, the one probably least likely to go bust and most likely for some kind of fix to be provided if it does.

For the non-Steam version... Well, OK, I'm going to say good for obviously having spent some time trying to derive a solution which will do what they want yet is unlikely to restrict customers. In practice I'd think people can basically ignore it other than the initial EA login + if they lose internet for an extended period.

Bad for still being at least some hassle affecting consumers but not pirates.

1679 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo