Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1667 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer
45. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 28, 2011, 14:01 DG

Dades wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 22:31:
When did Valve ever use TF2s product support as marketing material for L4D? Where and when did this occur? L4D is a game that received a full on SDK anyway, do you even know what you're talking about?
Without commenting in any way on any other points, and despite being wary of the thread heading into yet another of these off-topic flamewars, I'm going to have to call you out on this one. There's quite a lot of quotes that were (and even still are) cited frequently.

3rd link down on my first attempt of Googling turned up this:

1UP: This seems like a game that would lend itself well to your style of episodic-content delivery. Is that something you have planned for the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Left 4 Dead?

GN: Yes. It really feels like we're in this transition between entertainment as this packaged-goods phenomenon and entertainment as an ongoing service. TF2 is our product that's furthest along down this path -- we've been doing these updates every four to six weeks where we release new maps, new Achievements, new unlockables, new weapons, the movies like "Meet The Sniper," and so on. The response has been very strong. Each time we've done it, our multiplayer numbers and our sales have gone up by about 20 percent. So it's a way of growing an audience and developing an audience -- having those regular releases and thinking more of yourself as providing ongoing content streams seems to work really well. We fully intend to do that with Left 4 Dead as well -- [make] movies about each of the characters and how they came together as a team; what happened with the world when everything became Infected; [and] release new characters, new weapons, new campaigns -- and just view it as an ongoing audience-development content stream.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Firaxis RTS Plans, and Civilization Revolution II Cancelled
7. Re: Firaxis RTS Plans, and Civilization Revolution II Cancelled Apr 28, 2011, 13:46 DG

skyguy wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 20:33:
If it's not an RTS, and it's Alpha Centauri 2, I'll be more excited than I've been in years.
AC's been ripe for a sequel for some time now, and "Vanilla" Civ is also in need of a break...

Well we can only hope.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Apr 27, 2011, 17:04 DG

hmm, some not-bad performance boosts being claimed, but then are any of these games likely to need a boost on a modern card? Civ V I seriously doubt, Batman I'm playing right now with everything maxed and it's very smooth. Maybe Black Ops I guess?

Might just stick with these, er, I don't even know what they are, they're dated late Nov so presumably 10.12 or whatever.

Performance Enhancements
A number of performance enhancements are seen with the AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series and AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series:

Call of Duty Black Ops – gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single GPU configurations.
Battleforge – gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Batman Arkham Asylum – gains of up to 20% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Aliens vs. Predator – gains of up to 8% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Civilization 5 – gains of up to 15% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Far Cry 2 – gains of up to 6% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Just Cause 2 – gains of up to 9% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
Lost Planet 2 – gains of up to 10% on single and multiple GPU configurations.

News Comments > On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel
31. Re: On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel Apr 26, 2011, 13:24 DG

saluk wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 02:47:
When did game development become about cutting features out instead of throwing in as many crazy ideas as you could fit? No question there were just as many crappy games in the olden days as they were now, but at least game developers had BALLS.
“It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" - Albert Einstein
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Quoting famous geniuses doesn't make it true, but their wording gets the point across better than I could. Personally, in a triple-A title I expect the entire thing to be good, with minimal "suck" parts. Maybe I'm getting old but I value my time even more than the money, filler crap detracts from otherwise great games.

Portal 2 isn't exactly a niche product so I can appreciate the balance they went with. That said I am hoping for more challenging tests, and certainly agree there's ample scope for much more content, so I'm optimistic for some quality DLC. No, wait, this is Valve. I said that about L4D. Perhaps my hopes are more than optimistic...

P.S. bit wary of hatin' on playtesters, I still remember Goldeneye.

News Comments > Valve Done with the "Isolated Single-player Experience"?
24. Re: Valve Done with the Apr 25, 2011, 16:32 DG

Sigh. Kotaku. Sigh. Dramatic headline. Image from HL to stoke maximum paranoia. Big quote that ostentatiously reinforces the headline but actually waters it down considerably. 7 paragraphs of drama then an eighth that admits the obvious conclusion:

letting a second player control Alyx in Half Life 3

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2011, 16:40.

News Comments > Humble Bundle Investment
7. Re: Humble Bundle Investment Apr 24, 2011, 07:35 DG

Strange. It's new capital, not selling out. $4.7m is a lot of dough when they're already up and running, and supposedly the donations towards the company were implied to cover costs i.e. non-profit. I have some difficulty imagining they make the kind of money to interest $4.7m.

I dunno about Sequoia specifically but "led by" is likely significant wording. Often, scrape away the paperwork and fundamentally there's a syndicate of independent investors managed by the VC. It's not impossible some of the investors are charities. Though risky investments are generally not appropriate use of charitable funds, there may be an arrangement here making it not so risky, for example there may be say a dozen charities and a dozen indie devs all putting money into a pot they already have significant interest in, making it more like a joint-venture. In that scenario Humble Bundle itself could continue to break-even while the fruits of the investment come directly through greater donations & sales of games.

Having gone with wholly equity rather than loans implies longer-term intentions. Commercial VC's tend to like going loan-heavy because firstly loans are further up the pecking order (they get more cents in the dollar back if it collapses), secondly loans can be drawn down rather than have to take dividends which get taxed somewhere, thirdly loans can be drawn down while equity is difficult to reduce (you might have to sell it). It's also compatible with the joint-venture possibility because equity more or less forces commitment, their money is stuck there.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2011, 07:42.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
8. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 22, 2011, 20:45 DG

Not done with SP yet, only started on the goo stuff today. Arguably a little too much focus on story over puzzles but splitting hairs.

Played through the co-op, pure fun and it's in abundance. Doubt there's much replay value but that first run had more fun than many games can muster no matter how often played. Probably want to choose carefully who you play it through with though.

Only negative I have is thus far none of the puzzles are really taxing, and I'm not especially bright or anything. Sure there's a few where you forget a game mechanic for a few minutes (the two of us did get stuck once for a good 10 minutes before a "duh!" moment) but I've not come close to thinking about hitting gamefaqs yet. Partly that's due to very intuitive mechanics well introduced, and partly because, well if there's a white patch somewhere it's almost certainly part of the solution.

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
48. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 22, 2011, 10:21 DG

Dades wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 19:58:

He's correct that the public has a right to know who is behind what company. They don't have a right to proprietary information about financials though, I guess we differ with the UK in that respect. That's usually unsealed by court proceedings, not individuals.
Yeah it's highly summarised everywhere. Financials are not going to show sales-per game or any such thing, my response was to those quoted.

I'm not familiar enough with US GAAP but my assumption is revenue will probably only be disclosed as sales income, finance income and maybe rental income. Possibly there will be a split between Steam and own-game sales.

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
41. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 21, 2011, 18:10 DG

[tl;dr: Valve's accounts]

Krovven wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 16:16:
If I got to the IRS and request a copy of Valve's 2009 financials they should refuse that?

Valve is not a public company. You have zero right to request Valve's financials, nor anyone elses.

Public companies, you can get financial information, but certainly not through the IRS.

necrosis wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 14:25:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 13:31:
This is very frustrating as a consumer to have no idea what reality is on something like this. I would like to see valve, as well as all sales channels in general, regulated to force this data to be released on a quarterly basis at least. From the stand point of protecting the public it makes sense that you get a record of what a company is grossing and how on a regular basis to compare it their tax filings.

It seems like this info is being withheld deliberately so the public cannot make assessments of how these digital sales are doing. Instead we have to work with data from the company as if that info is not bias. Oh you sold a million copies of that? Oh well that must be a good game then right? Sales statistics should not be a marketing tool if they are not true.
What the hell purpose would this information serve to Bob the consumer? Really. The only people that truly have any business knowing this information are parties directly involved and shareholders if its a public company.

Wait, what? People have no right to tax returns (nor should they have, the relevant bits should be discernible from the accounts) but surely all US accounts are available somewhere?
{edit: I've found the SEC, thought public companies only. Seems there's some kind of state-by-state system for private companies? Aha! Found them on the Washington Secretary of State: here. $5 for accounts, if someone's buying anyway I'd love a scanned copy? Form only allows billing to USA. Presumably some sort of copyright though.}

I am an accountant in the UK. Here, *all* companies *must* file their accounts and other documents with the Registrar of Companies which makes all filings publicly available for downloading or hardcopy, for a nominal fee (£1 to £4) so that the Registrar is self-funded. You can have any and all official filings: forms appointing directors, issue of new share capital, annual returns (summarises directors, shareholders etc), details of securities granted... {edit: Companies House is *much* better than the Washington link for Valve above, we get a full list of all documents ever filed}.

The general public absolutely does have a right to this information. A company is a legal person under the control of natural legal persons and thus the public has a right to know whom the controlling minds are. Otherwise any con man can hide behind the veil of incorporation. Or hey, how do you know someone who claims to represent the company actually has any ties at all?

Secondly, a company incurs debts in its own right - if the company collapses the debts are not passed on to the shareholders. The public therefore had a right to assess the financials, allowing it to make a somewhat-informed decision about the financial health of the company and how much at risk those debts are. Access to information is the quid pro quo of Limited Liability.

Thirdly, a company is not a natural person, it has no feelings or sense of self so why would it have right to privacy? A company does not inherently exist, it only does so because the law recognises it, and how is something to be recognised if it is unknowable? Such rights it has are such that the people, through it's government, chooses to grant in the pursuit of the public good through trade, competition and economics. A privilege granted from self interest.

News Comments > Project Zomboid Revealed
5. Re: Project Zomboid Revealed Apr 21, 2011, 16:49 DG

Not sure I'm seeing a problem? It doesn't seem like a... financially prudent idea to pre-order but if someone wants to, that's their decision, and for the dev money now is better than money later.

Finding the concept of the game interesting, but got a bit put off by the extreme fog of war/"line of sight". Sometimes games need to let you do unrealistic things to compensate for unrealistic restrictions, for example your hearing, ability to look around and general situational awareness IRL is always going to be better than in a game. Also, not fun. I think it'd be better if they'd put the fog on just to stop you seeing around corners.

Doubt I'd be paying for something like this though, looks more like it should be a f2p game on Facebook.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2011, 17:38 DG

Hmm, not sure "alcohol is worse" is a good reason for anything. True it's mainly a substitute product but alcohol is a pretty low bar.

'Course, my default position is people can do whatever they want as long as it's not interfering with others and it's a true, free choice*. Therefore it's up to people banning it to make good argument, but if you're feeling the need to justify it anyway I'm not sure comparing it favourably to a really dangerous product is the best way to go.

Do bear in mind though that it's not consequence free. There are some long-term psychological effects (finally a decent study on this recently) and, well, I for one have a terrible memory and smoking a lot as a teenager is the only culprit I dare to can think of.

* i.e. no addictions or the long-term problems that people kid themselves aren't going to happen to them.

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
49. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 20, 2011, 13:26 DG

Got through the first couple of levels last night before realising I was going to be rudely late for meeting some people...

Mouse felt weird, turned off acceleration and that was that sorted.

There's very much a floaty feeling. There's many worse games, but it's always like the character has to finish a stride after you stop pressing a direction. I'm a stickler for accurate moving so this is a definite annoyance; if I was doing some score for a review or something this may knock off as much as 5 points. Out of 100.

The constant loading is also annoying. Tiny map to another tiny map? Loading! And for the size of the maps, not a quick load either. There goes another 5 points. Well probably less since that's not going to matter once the maps get bigger anyway.

Oh yeah and the market thing is a bit ghey, but whatever.

So far so.... Nothing to fuss about.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
20. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 13:04 DG

Looked at least interesting, will be hoping for a demo (short will do) to settle concerns though.  

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:07 DG

Um, you're still getting the indie games for your $40. It's not like some $40 extra fee for early access.

If you don't want the indie games, don't buy them. Either don't participate or play ones you already have.

I do think the promotion is a bit of a lame duck. 13 games is too many and $40 a bit much when it's just for a token bit of fun. Can't say I could be bothered participating in that, even to play the games I have already.

Mind you, rather this than the awful bonus weapons/maps/etc for pre-ordering or the store exclusives. It's not resulting in content becoming unavailable.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art
15. Re: Battlefield 3 Screenshots and Art Apr 10, 2011, 07:46 DG

Jackplug wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 14:37:
My only hope is that [...]
It isn't buggy as shit and balanced horribly.

Not that I'm still pissed about BF2142 or anything.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2011, 18:41 DG

Aye Glenmorangie is my preferred safe-bet, not tried the Lasanta yet. Was never really into whisky until I got taken to the Whisky Society though, which is owned by Glenmorangie now, they do one-off single cask strength stuff, undiluted flavour much more to my tastes (but sadly, not my budget).  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2011, 16:30 DG

Any favourite Scotch?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 8, 2011, 16:14 DG

Very basic marketing. They're going for the impulse buy, the impulse and the buy needs to be able to happen immediately; it's got to be instant gratification.

That said, basic business... No, basic common sense seems to fly out the window with the gaming industry.

Same with demos, could never understand release dates for demos. Why's it always months in advance or, more usually now (if at all), months after release? Should be a week or two pre-release, just in time to get the most word-of-mouth happening on release day. Just enough time to get you really into that one map and wanting more. Too early and it loses interest, but post-release it's barely getting a whisper because all the fans are already playing the full game.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans
26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:53 DG

cheers  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans
22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 15:26 DG

Just wondering, having done ME2 and all but the new DLC, how does another run through go? I see their FAQ but it's kinda missing the detail if I want to change things up a bit.

I.e. do I "lose" the first run? I was a bit completionist, and unlikely to be on 2nd run, so wouldn't want to lose the 1st run choices for the ME3 save import.

Can I change char to femshep?

If I go all Renegade this time, would ME3 import treat my char as renegade, paragon or both?

1667 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo