Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1677 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 12:26 DG

I got the network solutions page when I tried to view just now, but got back here with a ctrl+f5  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
27. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2013, 12:45 DG

I'm determined not to get V until it comes out on PC.

The sluggish controls and blurry view really distracted me from IV, still enjoyed it a lot but thought it'd be much better on PC - which I never got around to because well I already had completed the main game on console and I can never return to single-player games, I doubt I have replayed anything since GoldenEye and before that Quake 1...

Also have a huge backlog of games and I can't seem to get away from Planetside to start them.

But then it is nicer playing stuff on release day when everyone is hyped about it... Sigh.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Map Leaked
36. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Map Leaked Sep 11, 2013, 12:59 DG

qsto wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 00:18:
Here's Here's GTA SA, IV and RDR all scaled on GTA V's map and here's Skyrim.

And as to why launch on 360 & PS3 as contra One / PS4? It's a $250M game, that's why.

And no, there is no direct backwards compatibility on these consoles. Different architecture, different instruction set on the CPU. Nor would emulation be possible since there's not enough power on even modern day PC's to pull it off in realtime.
How reliable is that scale comparison?

'Cuz just at a glance it looks like the V houses are bigger than blocks on the other GTA maps, and there must be some big planes in V so requiring the runways to be about 2/3 the size of entire islands in the other games.

Wondering if someone has figured that if V is (say) 100m2 and IV is 50m2, then the IV map should fit to half-way along the bottom, right? In other words out by an order of magnitude.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 3, 2013, 12:57 DG

Is it just me or is Ivy Bridge-E not at all interesting even though I have an "ancient" 2500K?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2013, 13:16 DG

I have a 2500K (@ 4.2ghz) from nearly 2 years ago and a 6950 from nearly 3 (!) years ago.

I'd like to upgrade, have some money and due a treat. But is there anything actually worth upgrading to? Not even sure I can be bothered reinstalling Windows.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
16. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 14:19 DG

Haven't gotten around to playing the main game yet. Am I right to assume this new DLC (not the arena thing) will be very much separate, post-endgame stuff, and not inserted into the middle like much of the Mass Effect DLC?  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2013, 16:08 DG

Sure Thunderbird can't import all your old mail history?  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 06:00 DG

jimnms wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 15:47:
... the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.
Been a while since I bought a new case, but if it helps any the only one I've ever really been happy with is this Antec P182.

All 120mm fans, with a switch on the back to set low/med/full speed. Front fans all have dust filters - thin metal mesh which captures a lot of dust but doesn't impede airflow, and cleaning them is easy (several reviews got this wrong, there's a simple latch to access).

The front door may be a nuisance if you use dvd drive a lot, but it muffles the sound of fans a lot.

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
15. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 13:29 DG

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:22:
Don't really have an understanding of all this financial mumbo-jumbo and the article didn't really help much.

I'm guessing this will sink more than a few projects though.
The basic point is that AB will have a lot less cash sitting around to finance projects, and their balance sheet will now not be as very strong as it is currently, which puts it in a relatively precarious position should a major project flop or whatever.

AB is a subsidiary of V. V is the parent/owns AB.

Subsidiaries exist to make profit and/or cash for their parent. In a sense, they are all one "V Group" entity, merely with a legal & accounting structure in place to provide a degree of administrative separation between the companies.

AB has tons of cash, V desperately needs cash, so V Group is shuffling cash from one bank account to the other.

It is not very clear why V taking $3b from AB, who has $4b, will result in AB needing to take on $1.5b debt. A few possibilities occur to me:
- AB needs a ton of cash to finance it's own cash flows.
- For AB to pay the dividend it will need to move the cash in from offshore accounts, which might trigger corporation tax. (In some countries, if you generate profits overseas that profit is only taxed in the domestic country when that profit is remitted to the domestic country.)
- Dividends between companies might be taxable in one/both of the countries involved.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 15:07 DG

Fion wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 13:27:
Brave New World is a must for any Civ fan. It's easily the best expansion to any Civ game since Beyond the Sword, and totally brings Civ V up to par with Civ IV.

There aren't 80k people playing it daily on steam for nothing.

NO NO NO NO NO.

I am NOT going to lose big chunks of my life to Civ again.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 14:18 DG

Sorry

The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases "Grand Theft Auto Online"
66. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases Jul 9, 2013, 15:18 DG

I'm certain I'll be buying this game, question is whether I can wait for the PC version.

If R announced there'd a be a tool to convert 360 saves into a PC save then I know I'd be buying both.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans
5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans Jul 2, 2013, 12:59 DG

These smaller maps are being designed for formally organised 48v48 "esports" (lols...) but will also be played as 250-a-side for the main live servers. On live they will be using these to connect the main (2,000-a-side) continents, so they are linked up in some strategic fashion.

The amount of development for this game post-release has been huge, though it has needed it.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans Jul 2, 2013, 12:48 DG

Wildone wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 10:47:
Are ppl still LOL'Podding with impunity? Yea eff that..
Nah its gone the other way, it was difficult to fly at all for a while but they nerfed/de-buffed anti air a bit and its getting somewhere near balanced (albeit very difficult for a new pilot).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
60. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 13:29 DG

I have a 360 and about half a dozen games but have never had any loyalty, I switched Sega/Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft every generation (and skipped one entirely). Looking like this time it will be Sony, if anything.

Shame they added the usual margin to the USD to GBP conversion, after allowing for UK sales tax the price should be 307. Round down to 299 and I'd be pre-ordering, I've been considering getting something that will put bluray, iplayer etc etc onto the living room tv so getting a quality one that also plays games for that price would have been easy. There's a psychological barrier at 345 though.

I don't get why people are so happy and excited that MS messed up so badly. This is not a good thing for gamers. Like Intel fanboys being smug about AMD's lacklustre chips then wondering why the Intel prices are high and performance increments so little each release. So much love for Sony just because all they did is start charging for multiplayer?

News Comments > Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale
13. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Jun 7, 2013, 15:58 DG

Nu-uh, not touching this game again.

I lose too much of my life when I get into a Civ game.

no.

no...

well maybe...

just one more turn......

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Free Weekend & Sale
2. Re: Saints Row 3 Free Weekend & Sale Jun 6, 2013, 16:36 DG

steve bicknell wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 14:27:
Not here in the UK yet, just says this game is not ready to be played in offline mode.. GGGrrrr
That is stupid, though I anyway find it very easy to recommend the game for the 6.24.

News Comments > PlanetSide Going F2P
13. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 18:04 DG

yuastnav wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:46:
Uuuh, why?
I realise that less and less people are playing Planetside 2 (at least the ones using Steam), which is a shame, but surely splitting your playerbase is not such a good idea.
I suspect your caveat there is a significant one as the steam chart doesn't correlate well with stats from their API
text

News Comments > PlanetSide Going F2P
12. Re: PlanetSide Going F2P May 21, 2013, 17:56 DG

Usually having a great time with PS2, though enjoyment is largely dependent upon getting into a decent squad with a decent platoon leader (find a good outfit). Does take quite a bit of time investment to get into it tho, it is so very not a game designed for consoles.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2013, 14:34 DG

I get migraines. To control them:

1. Get decent sleep with a regular pattern.
2. Eat reasonably well with a regular pattern.
3. Try to manage stress.
4. Consider taking a vitamin supplement with magnesium (vitamins, I know, I know, but this is tried and tested for me and makes a huge difference).

If you are feeling vulnerable to them (I either get some vision artifacting or feel run down, like I am in the early stages of fighting off a cold) avoid bright light, especially reflected sunlight. Also avoid trigger foods - particularly cheese and coffee. Computers and TV are bad for them, though not as bad as the flickering CRTs were.

When I get them, the best thing is to just accept it. Immediately just accept whatever I have been stressing about is not going to get done today and go relax or have a nap.

1677 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo