Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2013, 14:34 DG

I get migraines. To control them:

1. Get decent sleep with a regular pattern.
2. Eat reasonably well with a regular pattern.
3. Try to manage stress.
4. Consider taking a vitamin supplement with magnesium (vitamins, I know, I know, but this is tried and tested for me and makes a huge difference).

If you are feeling vulnerable to them (I either get some vision artifacting or feel run down, like I am in the early stages of fighting off a cold) avoid bright light, especially reflected sunlight. Also avoid trigger foods - particularly cheese and coffee. Computers and TV are bad for them, though not as bad as the flickering CRTs were.

When I get them, the best thing is to just accept it. Immediately just accept whatever I have been stressing about is not going to get done today and go relax or have a nap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild
26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 12, 2013, 10:25 DG

Trevellian wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 20:45:
[...]
My main is BR61.

All the complaints here are perfectly valid. Maybe they don't fit with your opinion, but that doesn't make them any less valid. Your opinions do not affect what is putting some people off the game, their opinions are.

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 11, 2013, 17:38 DG

Tumbler wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:41:
[all that he said]

FWIW the game has changed considerably through updates and there's another big change coming soon. The cert rate has also increased dramatically, though maybe not if you're farming with HE which got nerfed a bit and anyway on average players are a bit wiser to it now. Really though the guns are meant to be bought with real money and the certs on unlocks.

It is a shit experience for new players. Getting good is heavily reliant on awareness rather than skills that cross over from other games and it takes a considerable time investment just to learn the ropes. For me, dropping in from the air is pretty much overpowered because I know where to drop in behind or into great camping spots, most players have their blinkers on and just get mown down. Once you've got the awareness down it's better to go light assault for the jet packs or engineer for the ammo resupply, heavy is only good for attacking head on.

However, they don't just have bad QA, pretty sure they don't have any QA. Every update is an omnishambles with something game-breaking for a couple of days. Just look at this fiasco, surely its obvious that they should have parameters limiting the maximum possible cert grant?

Also, a good experience is also reliant upon having a good team/platoon and that's very hit-and-miss. A lot more miss than hit TBH. I get the impression most people here are soloing, find a good outfit.

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 11, 2013, 13:00 DG

I play PS2 a lot. This is a really bad fuck up.

Sure there's not much freak out nerd rage, but that's the sign of it being a genuine problem. Its the people who have been putting real money and huge playtime into the game that are pissed off.

Anyway, I guess all the folks here who tried out this game for a few days could try logging in to see if they've won the cert lottery.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 25, 2013, 13:53 DG

As a PC gamer (with a 360 gathering dust and many consoles in the past as 2nd gaming machines) I think that gaming on a tablet... Well, if it's designed to work on a tablet then why not? I tend to like quite complicated games but I'm not above Angry Birds while stuck on a train and would love it if there was a port of an older Civilization or some other turn based games on it.  

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
30. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 15:23 DG

Enjoyed SR3, but this is too soon and I've got too many other games waiting to be played. Will pick up at some point in a sale (unless you guys pan it).  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer
13. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer Mar 15, 2013, 15:20 DG

Will W wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:29:
I love Civ V, but I wonder if this is going to start getting too complex but after adding religion and spies,
Check custom game options, probably can disable.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
35. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 14, 2013, 13:53 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:37:
I seem to recall giving this game a go and being thoroughly unimpressed but seeing this topic made me give it another go. Seeing that it was already in my Steam list I launched the game only to find it needed to download 7.5GB of data. What. The. Fuck. What the hell is the 9.7GB of data in my Steam folder doing then? And why the fuck is it downloading at 1/4 the speed I usually get from Steam?
They did some fiddling with the maps in one of the big updates a while ago so yeah you basically redownloaded the whole game.

The download goes through the launcher i.e. from SOE not Steam. It's usually fast for me, for whatever that's worth.

The US flag for "English" is very common, though most likely by going through Steam you actually have a US account and not a Euro account - which goes through ProSeiben. This does not matter at all, except that ProSeiben are crap so you've done it the "right" way.

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 18:33 DG

Defeating a base when there's a battle for it is about equivalent to winning a round in a more normal team FPS, in a sense. But yeah they need to make capping a continent to be more of an event.

Also resources need to be a bit tighter, even after certing into vehicle cooldown I'm very rarely unable to spawn a vehicle due to insufficient resources. If there's any reason I need to wait it's always the cooldown.

Also, has to be said the community isn't exactly great. SOE have got themselves a bad habit of listening [i]too much[/i] so there's endless whining about how the other factions are OP, anything that balances out their favourite class or whatever. If they're not whining on Reddit they're downvoting anything that doesn't push their agenda. Seems a lot of outfits of the same faction don't get along.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 15:20 DG

I suspect the "training" is far more about allowing you to test weapons and certs before spending cash or XP certs. An in-game tutorial would be a good idea (a new player's introduction to the game is pretty rough!) but I suspect that'd take quite a lot of coding.

FWIW, this game has had several major updates that I've not noticed being posted about here. If you played in beta or launch and was almost but not quite up to scratch for you, quite a lot has changed since then. That said, they do seem to be opting for the model of changing loads of things once a month for the sake of change. They launched it pretty rough but I think the intention was to do that and let it evolve over time.

Game is imperfect to say the least on a number of things but it's been my main game since launch and I'm really enjoying it. One of those games where there's major cons but also major pros.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 10:22 DG

I was asking about replacement in the previous mouse OOTB and oddly enough mine arrived today - a G400.

Literally just inatalled it, but my first impression was that the mouse itself looks identical to the MX510 bar the marbled effect body pattern. The cable is both thinner and despite being lighter, noticeably stiffer. Maybe some use will soften it.

A bit confused by this DPI switching. Is DPI-switching the new way to set sensitivity? I had thought that more DPI merely meant more accuracy; surely for any given pointer movement speed it is always better to run a higher DPI with lower sensitivity? Yet the software seems to default to run at about 1/5th of max sensitivity.

Also, why is the default polling rate half of the 1000/sec maximum? Again surely the higher the better?

Not sure if I am quite the luddite or this is all gimmicks.

News Comments > Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs
19. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 17:25 DG

Damn, that reminds me I need to get around to playing Dishonored and XCOM at some point.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2013, 08:46 DG

Thanks for that!  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance Likely a Film Title Mar 2, 2013, 07:09 DG

A really excellent film could be made out of Deus Ex.

It wont be, but it could.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 12:31 DG

Well, this is timely!

I need to replace my MX510 which was excellent but has suffered enough (too much, evidently).

I had been thinking the G500. Surprised at the comment that G400 > G500? It looked like the G500 was a straight upgrade from G400 with higher DPI, what looked like slightly better build quality plus two additional buttons - plus variable DPI and weights, which admittedly I hadn't been looking forward to fiddling about with.

edit: I can also find a G9x, albeit for twice the price of the G400.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 12:41.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 EU Breach
5. Re: PlanetSide 2 EU Breach Feb 27, 2013, 13:21 DG

What they "forgot" to mention is that this only affects accounts ran by ProSeiben. This is some group SOE got to run the EU side of things and by all accounts they do it badly. Even things like not posting the game news on the launcher.

Not sure why they have them at all since you can simply bypass them and create your account with SOE (and I did, and anyone would recommend that you do so).

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
45. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 22, 2013, 07:29 DG

but i doubt we'll get a mod hit like CS in the future because
To be fair, CS was a complete outlier back then anyway. Any other success remotely on that scale?

Anyway how about DOTA, DayZ?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 13:08 DG

Panickd wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:00:
Julio wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 10:56:
Or you could just stick with open office and not be sorry at all!

Until you need an advanced feature or until you hit file incompatibilities because whatever partner/client you're working with is on Office and OpenOffice can either not open it or render it correctly.

I can honestly say this hasn't happened to me for several years. MS hasn't really changed their file format much since the last major revamp so OO and LibreOffice seem to be able to handle it just fine.

As for advanced features, the whole "office suite" paradigm hit it's wall back in 2010. Nothing of note has changed besides the aesthetics since then.

Formatting/presentation issues happen to me all the time, with either Open or Libre Office. I now PDF anything or keep it as an RTF and tidy it up at the office. Spreadsheets are worse, and it often takes more than a cursory glance to identify there is a problem.

Libre Office is perfectly fine for home use. It's not viable for many offices though, firstly because of the imperfect compatibility with the MS Office that contacts will be using and secondly because staff can be expected to have familiarity with MS Office while few will know anything else.

That's before we get into the complicated stuff like macros, ODBC etc.

News Comments > Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft
12. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 13:00 DG

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Moon was excellent.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
7. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jan 19, 2013, 08:03 DG

accidental post  

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo