Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1670 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
45. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 10, 2011, 18:58 DG

Hmm, I still have a bad taste from BF2142. Just constantly thinking what a great game it could be if every single person involved in developing it, publishing it, etc, had been someone else.

Actually I'd swap out a fair chunk of the players too. How can it be that so many people have sufficient intellect to operate a computer but cannot see the folly in rushing for the only raptor (or whatever the attack... flying thing... was called) and proceeding to try to cap a flag with it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2011, 09:48 DG

Meh, this Funnyjunk admin might be behaving very childish but it's in-line with the tone of the site. I can sympathise with this Oatmeal guy, but it's limited - he should have known better and taken a much more diplomatic approach.

Content "theft" on user-upload sites is hardly uncommon either, on Reddit for example it's normal for a cartoon to be uploaded to imgur or whatever. Granted it's less wholesale, but the principle's fundamentally the same.

TBH I think there's a good opening for a syndication service. Basically the end result would be someone could go to upload to Funnyjunk, enter either Oatmeal's url to directly upload from - or just fill out a "source" box - and then a bit of software wizardry automatically divvies up the ad revenue and takes a 10% cut. Larger sites could make individual agreements but all these smaller guys could really only do this with a standard tri-party operating agreement where everything's automated.

This isn't exactly a novel idea. Much of your news probably comes via Reuters, who buy-in a lot of their content and effectively sell it on to most news services, who either use it verbatim or as a start for their own stories.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
53. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 5, 2011, 09:16 DG

I was reminded a little more of Borderlands than FO3, despite the "wellsprings" reference, though I think it's going to be a lot more FPS oriented than either of those.

Regarding the HUD popups "press E", I don't think too much should be read into that. They could still be using the PC icons in the console build and vice-versa. Similarly I expect the weapon wheel will be in the PC version but most folks will be using the direct selection with the number keys - why take out an option that some people (however few) might prefer? It's also helpful narrative for trailer purposes.

IIRC it's also fairly common technique for recording videos to use a controller or mouse with very low sensitivity - it's just better for camera work.

News Comments > Sound Core3D Announced
13. Re: Sound Core3D Announced May 31, 2011, 14:10 DG

My MB has a Realtek ALC888, one of the better onboard chips available at the time. Surprising how decent it is, it would certainly "make do" for most.

But it's definitely not close to my old Audigy. Just through a pair of half-decent Sennheiser's it's noticeable.

But then the lack of driver hassle is even more noticeable.

In the end I decided not to bother getting sound card last time around, tipped over by the saving allowing for a step up in the CPU. Thought I might come back to it, but the basic competency of the onboard chip combined with the lack of hw acceleration support and memories of the hassles keeps me away.

News Comments > GTA4 Street Views
7. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 16:12 DG

Quboid wrote on May 28, 2011, 14:43:
I got this when it was released but I had to stop playing it because of the bad handling, bad shadows and bad performance. Have any of these changed?
Not really, but you get used to it. Not as "fun" as some of the earlier games, but at a minimum an incredible feat.

Personally I hated everything more than "5 meters" away being blurry more than anything.

(I played it on 360, maybe it's worse on PC though if screens are anything to go by the blurriness looks better)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 18:35 DG

Hmm, I'm way behind the US TV as I'm in UK with no satellite subs so it's all DVD rental, but of the series mentioned I'd go

Terminator (finished) > Dollhouse (done S1) > Flash Forward (finished) then Fringe (nearly done S1).

Probably being nice on Dollhouse as it was starting to reveal a lot of potential. FF suffered a bit as I found the lead annoying, plus The Event has come on which seems to be almost same thing?

Fringe has it's ups and downs, Walter hams it up well, Peter plays a good sidekick but Olivia isn't a strong lead and too often the plots get just too silly. I still don't know why all the scriptwriters and producers seem to have forgotten X-Files's golden rule of never throwing absurdity in the audience's face. It's an enjoyable enough show to wind-down at night and I'm looking forward to the next DVD but I wouldn't be buying the box set or anything unless absurdly cheap.

To be fair though, I'm still waiting on BSG on bluray to get cheaper and I haven't even gotten around to picking up Firefly yet (half my family even owns that and they wouldn't recognise the name Josh Wheadon). Partly that's because I'm happily waiting for memories of both to fade some more before getting stuck in again though.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2011, 18:11 DG

I think the Steam sales are a lot less to do with competition for Steam and a lot more to do with our simply spending more money when they have sales, plus an element of competition between publishers.

Competition affecting Steam itself, D2D etc, probably impacts more on the margins/fees charged to publishers. Granted, in the longer term that will impact consumer pricing, but I think at present retail is the only real pressure there while other services are more of a potential threat.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Audio Teasers
16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Audio Teasers May 15, 2011, 16:26 DG

Last CoD singleplayer I played had several good ideas and it's fair share of them executed pretty well.

Shame they were all crowbarred into a shit game.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 15, 2011, 06:34 DG

LittleMe wrote on May 15, 2011, 03:01:
jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2011, 01:40:
You can't just go out and start a new ISP, the infrastructure costs are prohibitive.

What? That is not true. That's like saying no one can just go out and start a new game company because the costs are prohibitive. Capital investment is how an economy functions. There's no law that says an ISP must invest a billion dollars to start. They can and often do start small. Infinity Ward did that. Blizzard did that. They are both huge now, but started smaller. Same works with any business.
High capital investment is a classic example of a barrier to entry.

The ISP and the game development company are completely incomparable, to the point of being examples of the extreme ends of the spectrum. ISPs run on scale economy, game development borders on being a service company.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2011, 15:14 DG

It's not necessary to muck about with partitions, W7 disk management is pretty good. I wouldn't bother unless you have dual drives (esp. if one is SSD) or some other reason, e.g. if doing backup images of the OS partition but file backups of My Docs.

On the other hand there's not much reason not to, other than increased space capacity overhead, having some of that overhead wasting the faster portions of the disk...

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 17:28 DG

Enemy Territory and Wolf: ET are the same game. Based on the beta, QuakeWars was kinda very similar. Different, but same roots.  

News Comments > Brink Launch Trailer
10. Re: Brink Launch Trailer May 9, 2011, 17:07 DG

I'm hoping this will be awesome, SD are good guys (Brits too!) and this is really their first full & proper title.  

News Comments > Steam and YouTube
14. Re: Steam and YouTube May 9, 2011, 17:00 DG

I thought movie distributors were jumping over themselves to pull any movie clips partly because you only watch movies. You play games, watching a clip doesn't matter so much.

Presumably movie companies would want everyone to watch the trailers but they probably don't exactly spend a lot of time confirming what things are, plus to maximise the prominence of their own trailer (which they have control over) in the search.

Oh yeah and most gaming companies at least to pretend to be down with the kids or whatever; movie companies seem downright hostile towards their customers.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks & PC Support
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, Steamworks, & PC Support May 6, 2011, 14:15 DG

- UI designed for PC, check
- Controls revamp for M+KB, check
- Utilising current PC graphics, check
- Sophisticated gameplay... claimed, but TBD

Hmm, they're at least talking-the-talk for a good multi-platform.

- Pre-order benefits not being game content, check
- Steam distribution, check
- Not a buggy POS... TBD

Looking positive.

Very wary of cover system though. I'm sure I recall seeing one done very well but generally I hate it.

Undecided whether to go for the 10% pre-order discount or wait until some people have played it. I guess verdict might be difficult to gauge as I may well enjoy a game despite lots of negativity simply due to it not being true to a rose-tinted memory of DX.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Delayed
31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 13:48 DG

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2011, 22:51:
The lowest common denominator is not looking for more simplicity. They're looking for more accessibility, and the best developers bring both complexity and accessibility.

Complexity and accessibility are inversely correlated. You more you have of one, the less you have of the other. The beter developers strike a decent balance between them but there is always compromise in terms of long-term depth.[...]
The correlation might be true but correlation is not causation!

Gameplay can still be complex but an excellent interface, good learning curve and overall game design can still make it intuitive. This makes for a sophisticated game, which I think is what we really want when we say "complex".

Loading a tape game on an old Amstrad was often "complex", but not at all sophisticated. Do NOT want.

Team Fortress 2, before the myrad of crap, has fundamentally quite complex gameplay but it is (was?) all wrapped up in a good UI etc and it was quite accessible. More and more depth opened up the more you play. This is sophistication.

Shooting for the LCD when making a mass-market game is not because the mass-market wants a simple game. They want an accessible game and a simple game is a lazy, cheap way to give the appearance of that.

But yeah OK, lazy & cheap is the norm so I'm not exactly getting my hopes up that they're just working on a brilliant UI for ME3.

News Comments > Civilization V DLC Released
1. Re: Civilization V DLC Released May 5, 2011, 13:27 DG

Must admit the game I started the other day after the patch is shaping up to be one of the most enjoyable I recall playing, despite some flaws remaining.

Still not interested in buying any of the DLC though, particularily since I'm not interested in scenarios, it's badly overpriced.

News Comments > Three Fallout: New Vegas DLC Packs Detailed
33. Re: Three Fallout: New Vegas DLC Packs Detailed May 4, 2011, 13:42 DG

edit: ignore, saw in follow-up post he's already aware. I will say though that the Dam was a piss-poor finale anyway, not helped by being combat-oriented in a game that doesn't do combat particularly well, plus for some reason it's one of those few areas where the normally-fine FPS just falls off a cliff.

Asmo wrote on May 3, 2011, 19:26:
Corrupted save game means I'm unable to complete the final battle of the original game leaving me stuck with 100+ hours of play and no finish. My earliest save game that is not corrupted is at about 60 hours of playtime... (I've turned off autosave etc, but it didn't seem to help)
On the chance that it's a scripting screwup affecting the save rather than "it won't load" corruption: some of the guides include a code for pretty much every quest, this can be added to a line of code in the console to reset the quest. There's also codes for specific items if that's what the problem is, or maybe a code to teleport?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 4, 2011, 13:29 DG

What are you supposed to do if you can't stop shoplifters?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: tethering apps May 4, 2011, 13:13 DG

illicit tethering

wat?

I don't understand how it's even against the ToS to tether. What is the difference between bits downloaded for use on your phone and those downloaded through the phone for use on a laptop?

Sure, I can imagine tethered usage is on average much higher, therefore surely the solution is one that deals directly with the supposed problem: specified data limits?

Oh I see the issue, that would require being all clear and honest while reducing the ability to sell tethering to people who have a low usage even when tethered.

News Comments > Three Fallout: New Vegas DLC Packs Detailed
16. Re: Three Fallout: New Vegas DLC Packs Detailed May 3, 2011, 13:53 DG

I think I'll be waiting for the combo pack / Steam sale. Good to release them close together though, something that bugs me about DLC is usually there's not enough there to warrant getting into the game again. But I don't feel like spending another $30.

I enjoyed NV, and numerous elements were significantly improved over FO3, but nonetheless I enjoyed FO3 more. Quite a lot of NV felt like a grind (TBF I've probably forgotten a lot of the FO3 grind) while FO3 felt like more care had been taken in entertaining the gamer.

1670 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo