Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1676 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 29, 2011, 12:58 DG

Good job too; those thoughts would be more concerning if they were about objects.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2011, 15:54 DG

Not sure it'd work out so well on anything but the N64 controller it was clearly designed around from the bottom up.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 18, 2011, 13:22 DG

Alamar wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:22:
As opposed to say playing sports which only reduces the obesity? And what about watching TV, films, or sitting around listening to music?

Or reading forums...

-Alamar
Or studying...

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
61. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:19 DG

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 13:17:
DG wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 13:14:
Competition is a basic necessity for a market economy.

Agreed. So how can you justify what EA's doing? (provided this is an EA decision, and not Valve banning EA from using Steam because of the integrated DLC malarkey.)

Creston
I didn't & I don't, though I did outline a possible scenario down at #51 or so, albeit as an alternative to one where EA is the villain. Not trying to assert facts or anything but if I was being forced to make a bet of which of the two companies was being a dick...

55. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:14 DG

Topevoli wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 09:54:
Why is dominance such a bad thing? Its not like steam strong armed consumers into using it. They chose to use it. If thats what they chose to use, then publishers should meet the consumers needs a little.
Well for starters generally what happens is a service starts out great, on that basis grows into a dominant position and then starts really screwing over customers.

Secondly, even if Steam continues to be a great service for consumers, they might be really dicking over developers. This in turn is bad for consumers but the reason why is not obvious.

Competition is a basic necessity for a market economy.

That said, Origin and Live are certainly not the competition required. I think ideally there should be ~3 Steam-type services all highly interlinked (mandated by the EU or whatever), but that seems rather optimistic so a Steam and a no-frills download service or two will do.

51. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:06 DG

Finding it difficult to get to the bottom of this but the picture I'm seeing is that basically Steam says if a game is sold on Steam than any DLC should be available on Steam.

This appears reasonable at face value and just on general principle. There'd also be specific scenarios to be avoiding like a publisher selling basically demos for $5 on Steam to hook you in then the real content & money from DLC where Steam gets nothing. To boot, for practical purposes presumably Steam network would be handling the data.

OTOH the devil might be in the detail and perhaps Steam is saying any game bought on Steam has to have any DLC bought via Steam. A markedly different scenario I think.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:25 DG

Hmm, I'm not so convinced this would be "worse for our brains" or whatever. People deal with a ton more information now, it wouldn't surprise me if people were deliberately dumping half of it and still remembering more stuff than someone in 1990.

Due to the volume of information it's more important to know what needs to be remembered. The testing was with trivia, would they have found the same results with important information relating to a task at work?

Also, "how many countries have flags with only one color?" In a pub quiz this might be a somewhat enjoyable activity with a small group of friends working it out from memory, where points might be given just for a good/close answer. On a computer, people tend to assume it wants an exact correct answer therefore it is something to look up.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:16 DG

Esoteric wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:23:
Regarding these PC sales, do any of these statistics take personally built PCs into consideration? I know the number would be very low, but it doesn't seem like they could record such sales since people buy different parts from several places.
I take it this is re: the ars article?

Usually this data is gathered for market analysis where they're interested in Dell vs HP with a backdrop of "Dell, HP etc" market, rather than absolute market of all personal computers.

That said, the "other" column may well include an estimate based on e.g. total PSU shipments less a % for repairs. That seems a reasonably reliable and efficient method for the catch-all group, and would catch self-builds along with all the small companies.

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
16. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 18:14 DG

I generally strongly dislike micro-transactions.

I dislike any "unlocks" and things in skill-based games - what's that got to do with skill? I remember it as the crappiest thing in Wolf:ET - go on a lowskill server and before long the game is giving you a approx 50% advantage over weak players. Yeah, great... I can only see the point where the other players wouldn't want it in the hands of a newbie e.g. something that allows you to command a team. None of this is resolved by charging a fee.

In character-development games like MMORPGs say, well I guess some good can come from micro-transactions if it makes it possible for new players to have a chance at keeping up with the long-term players. Things that are no better than what's reasonably available but cut out 3 months of grind. Okay, but it better be balanced carefully pr it's basically going to be that new players have to buy it, and that sucks.

If it's for trivial customising the appearance of an avatar, well whatever, no harm no foul to me.

I actually bought a few of those stamp things for custom maps in TF2, all the money goes to the map authors. Possibly the greatest use of micro-transactions I can think of.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Birds Jul 11, 2011, 12:55 DG

IIRC it's recommended to restrict the quantities of feed outside of winter or they can start just ignoring wild foods.

Not sure if that applies when living in large urban areas though...

News Comments > On Sale
41. Re: On Sale Jul 11, 2011, 12:50 DG

I pretty much never start a game and don't finish. I can only think of Crysis where I got to, IIRC, shortly after the tanks section. I think I got a combination of tired of it and other distractions, I don't recall it being crap enough to actually not want to play it.

I almost never swap between games. I'm usually playing one MP game and occasionally taking a break from it from start to finishing a singleplayer game.

I guess I don't buy THAT many games though.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
7. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 12:54 DG

Any reason W7 would be recommended and no Vista? I didn't think there was any features exclusive to W7 and performance delta for games negligible.

Hmm this game coming about the same time as I'm anticipating a cpu/mb and/or SSD upgrade, still have W7 box sitting unopened that I bought on the pre-order dealie too. Works out nicely I'm waiting a week or two after release to get a verdict (which I'm definitely doing after the last BF game I bought).

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta
5. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization World Open Beta Jul 7, 2011, 14:54 DG

I'm not even going to try this, but I'm not going to complain either.

They came right out and said it's not a core Civ type of game, like they did for Civ Rev. It's not intended as a new game for Civ fans, it's intended for non-Civ fans: to open a new market and maybe bring some over to core Civ. It's not going to delay Civ VI or whatever by another 3 years or whatever either.

If, like me, you're a Civ fan and this has no appeal, I suggest simply ignore it like all the other FB games, it has no bearing on anything.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Jul 3, 2011, 08:44 DG

Steam page loads up, decide to click through to see the video for SMB, get about 3 paragraphs into a glowing review on Gamespot and suddenly Steam is downloading something and I have my credit card in my hand.

Not sure what happened there.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Jul 3, 2011, 08:35 DG

I'm resisting so far, though Super Meat Boy is tempting. I could do with a game that I can just bash away at for half an hour.  

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
14. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 1, 2011, 14:09 DG

The Pyro wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 08:43:
Hrm, I would like to watch this trailer, however Youtube is asking for a login, as demanded by the uploader? Wtf is this bullshit? Do people actually log in to youtube now?

Here's a little tip... YouTube never asks for a login for embedded videos. You can always modify the URL to mimic an embeded video in order to bypass the login crap.

If the original URL looks like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXXXXX

Then just change it to this:
www.youtube.com/embed/XXXXXXXX

Hope that helps
nice. Now I need to figure out how on earth to program greasemonkey to sort this out for me... Probs a script already somewhere, though those "youtube hd" scripts never seem to work how I want them to.

News Comments > GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging
23. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 13:56 DG

Rigs wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:17:
[...] I recall all the bitching and complaining that STEAM got when it was released and was required to play Valve's games and then others...but now most prefer to have it as an option when buying a new game... [...]
Yeah but initially it was crap but then it came good. Quite quickly. And it kept getting better. Pretty much every way you get (or used to get) fucked over by nearly all download movie, music etc services, Steam never did that but instead thought of something better.

It's still not perfect. For example, offline mode. The ramifications being rather excessive if you screw up entering payment details. There being some 3rd party games on there that could effectively be taken away if the publisher decides. OK so that's not really Valve's fault, but I do tend to just assume game's follow the Steam standard if I'm buying on Steam, and feel like Valve are allowing some publishers to ride on the goodwill of the publishers who have done the right thing and gone with the Steam standard.

But GfWL, what does it offer? I can link my PC gaming to my Xbox account. That's a nice but token thing. And that's it. There is no good reason for it to exist, and it wouldn't but for the MS muscle. MS claims to support PC gaming then lumps in a "service" which has cons but no pros, merely serving to detract from other actual and potential services.

The thing is exactly that they are not trying. It must almost take an effort for them to have ignored Steam's good ideas. When I think of GfWL offices I can only imagine all the staff actually work on something else and have this thing as some unwanted side project lumped on them that they have no interest or time for.

If they're not going to do it properly, they need to get out of the way.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2011, 14:05.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 28, 2011, 14:05 DG

Frijoles wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 12:31:
tl;dr: Capcom went full retard.
I LOL'd

News Comments > EVE Online Player Exodus?
14. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 13:46 DG

Eh $1m is $1m, and it's all off the bottom line as the individual user will have a trivial direct cost. Also that's per year, and furthermore a drop in the active player base, something which has an impact on remaining players. Not forgetting the PR.

While it's questionable all those 5,000 will actually go, there's also the question over how many intend to go but haven't signed up to that spreadsheet.

The death knell, maybe not, but it certainly should be of significant concern.

News Comments > EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar
18. Re: EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar Jun 25, 2011, 06:59 DG

Oh, bummer. Well I guess that doesn't fundamentally change my point. Wealthy people putting in cash to buy PLEX to buy ISK to buy items from players who then sell the ISK for PLEX and then into subscription time are still not having to put their own cash into their subscription. So they still "cash out", it's just the amount is limited by how much subscription they no longer have to buy with their own money.

I think what it changes is constrain the laws of demand and supply and thus increase the risk of inflation from too much ISK being bought with cash?

1676 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo