Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
66. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Aug 21, 2011, 06:47 DG

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 19:56:
Then you've broken his NDA, and in turn are criminally libel for anything you've posted.
Semantics maybe, but it's morning and this bugs me.

It's a breach of contract, a civil wrong for which the wronged party can take the wrongdoer to court. As a party to the contract the press-friend can be sued by Eidos for recompense or some other remedy along similar lines. I'd presume they'd have a hard time proving much in the way of damages though. In practice press-NDAs tend to be more just a formal way of agreeing what will stop you getting advance press games in future.

the_culture is not party to any contract, cannot have breached a contract and is not liable at all.

Crimes are against society and are prosecuted by the state. It has to be a crime before you can go to jail, have a criminal record or be "a criminal".

Also, probably being grammar police on an auto-correct here, but libel is something else, a different civil wrong. You're probably thinking of liable.

edit: after hitting reply another page of comments appears Blush

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
23. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Aug 18, 2011, 16:05 DG

Last couple of drivers I've had corruption in the PowerDVD menus of Blurays? Anyone else seen that? My google-fu is too weak to wade through all the other powerdvd & ati shit.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 18, 2011, 15:38 DG

I think DXHR is going to be my post-exam treat along with a hardware upgrade. Jury might be in on whether BF3 is worth the Origin shite by then too.

On the downside I have to wait until beginning of November as I can't be playing anything until exam is done...

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
105. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 15:54 DG

I'm missing the part where this is good for the consumer.

When I buy anything I expect to be able to use it as I please, not when the seller's servers and my ISP allows.

"If we could force people to always be connected when you play the game, and then have that be acceptable, awesome."

Excellent PR there Tim, just awesome.

News Comments > Take-Two's Q1 Losses; New GTA Next Year?
11. Re: Take-Two's Q1 Losses; New GTA Next Year? Aug 9, 2011, 14:21 DG

Perhaps GTA: London wouldn't be for the best right now  

News Comments > New Civilization V DLC Packs This Week
5. Re: New Civilization V DLC Packs This Week Aug 8, 2011, 15:19 DG

Paketep wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 14:58:
This. I'm not buying Civ5 until they put out a complete pack on sale and promise there will be no more DLC.
Me either. This nickel & dime crap is irritating and, as I have no interest in scenarios, for me it's overpriced. I probably will pick up a pack when it's on sale though.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
23. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 14:19 DG

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 12:58:
It absolutely is Steam. They don't get a cut if DLC is sold IN GAME, so they don't allow it.

Is this definitely accurate? My understanding is that Valve wanted DLC for any game to be available to buy via Steam, not that it had to be the only route nor that it would take a cut from sales via those other routes.

That's a fundamentally different position, though I can understand Steam might want to take a cut on DLC that it has to service e.g. pay the bandwidth costs for patches.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
21. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 14:17 DG

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:46:
Okay, so why don't GWFL games have the same problem when they sell DLC through GFW store? I have to call bullshit on this one.
There was a change in policy so we can't look at older games to figure out what's going on.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
36. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 14:42 DG

Enjoyed the first, very likely to buy the second.

...But I might wait for sales + patches. Since it seems there's not a lot of lovin' for the game here I'm going to assume they fixed a lot of shit before I got around to picking this up at a ridiculous bargain for a huge amount of content.

Personally only issues I found was too much time-sink repetition (strange for what was a big game even without) and a loot formula resulting in too much trash. OK and a few areas on the Knoxx DLC really, really hammered my FPS for no discernible reason. Yeah OK and at some points the levelling of enemies was rather disjointed.

News Comments > GameStop to Sell Game Downloads
12. Re: GameStop to Sell Game Downloads Jul 29, 2011, 14:15 DG

If they were a little bit clever they'd have sorted this so they could sell the game on preorder. As in, let you go home with the box and everything. Game still isn't going to work until activated online so why not?

Still leaves the inventory issue but does fix the issues of people who like shiny boxes and/or have low bandwidth/caps.

I still think it'd be handy if steam could spit out a clever little file that could be uploaded to a webpage which then returns an update file to be saved on your USB stick.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 29, 2011, 12:58 DG

Good job too; those thoughts would be more concerning if they were about objects.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2011, 15:54 DG

Not sure it'd work out so well on anything but the N64 controller it was clearly designed around from the bottom up.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 18, 2011, 13:22 DG

Alamar wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 10:22:
As opposed to say playing sports which only reduces the obesity? And what about watching TV, films, or sitting around listening to music?

Or reading forums...

-Alamar
Or studying...

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
61. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:19 DG

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 13:17:
DG wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 13:14:
Competition is a basic necessity for a market economy.

Agreed. So how can you justify what EA's doing? (provided this is an EA decision, and not Valve banning EA from using Steam because of the integrated DLC malarkey.)

Creston
I didn't & I don't, though I did outline a possible scenario down at #51 or so, albeit as an alternative to one where EA is the villain. Not trying to assert facts or anything but if I was being forced to make a bet of which of the two companies was being a dick...

55. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:14 DG

Topevoli wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 09:54:
Why is dominance such a bad thing? Its not like steam strong armed consumers into using it. They chose to use it. If thats what they chose to use, then publishers should meet the consumers needs a little.
Well for starters generally what happens is a service starts out great, on that basis grows into a dominant position and then starts really screwing over customers.

Secondly, even if Steam continues to be a great service for consumers, they might be really dicking over developers. This in turn is bad for consumers but the reason why is not obvious.

Competition is a basic necessity for a market economy.

That said, Origin and Live are certainly not the competition required. I think ideally there should be ~3 Steam-type services all highly interlinked (mandated by the EU or whatever), but that seems rather optimistic so a Steam and a no-frills download service or two will do.

51. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 13:06 DG

Finding it difficult to get to the bottom of this but the picture I'm seeing is that basically Steam says if a game is sold on Steam than any DLC should be available on Steam.

This appears reasonable at face value and just on general principle. There'd also be specific scenarios to be avoiding like a publisher selling basically demos for $5 on Steam to hook you in then the real content & money from DLC where Steam gets nothing. To boot, for practical purposes presumably Steam network would be handling the data.

OTOH the devil might be in the detail and perhaps Steam is saying any game bought on Steam has to have any DLC bought via Steam. A markedly different scenario I think.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:25 DG

Hmm, I'm not so convinced this would be "worse for our brains" or whatever. People deal with a ton more information now, it wouldn't surprise me if people were deliberately dumping half of it and still remembering more stuff than someone in 1990.

Due to the volume of information it's more important to know what needs to be remembered. The testing was with trivia, would they have found the same results with important information relating to a task at work?

Also, "how many countries have flags with only one color?" In a pub quiz this might be a somewhat enjoyable activity with a small group of friends working it out from memory, where points might be given just for a good/close answer. On a computer, people tend to assume it wants an exact correct answer therefore it is something to look up.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:16 DG

Esoteric wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:23:
Regarding these PC sales, do any of these statistics take personally built PCs into consideration? I know the number would be very low, but it doesn't seem like they could record such sales since people buy different parts from several places.
I take it this is re: the ars article?

Usually this data is gathered for market analysis where they're interested in Dell vs HP with a backdrop of "Dell, HP etc" market, rather than absolute market of all personal computers.

That said, the "other" column may well include an estimate based on e.g. total PSU shipments less a % for repairs. That seems a reasonably reliable and efficient method for the catch-all group, and would catch self-builds along with all the small companies.

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
16. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 18:14 DG

I generally strongly dislike micro-transactions.

I dislike any "unlocks" and things in skill-based games - what's that got to do with skill? I remember it as the crappiest thing in Wolf:ET - go on a lowskill server and before long the game is giving you a approx 50% advantage over weak players. Yeah, great... I can only see the point where the other players wouldn't want it in the hands of a newbie e.g. something that allows you to command a team. None of this is resolved by charging a fee.

In character-development games like MMORPGs say, well I guess some good can come from micro-transactions if it makes it possible for new players to have a chance at keeping up with the long-term players. Things that are no better than what's reasonably available but cut out 3 months of grind. Okay, but it better be balanced carefully pr it's basically going to be that new players have to buy it, and that sucks.

If it's for trivial customising the appearance of an avatar, well whatever, no harm no foul to me.

I actually bought a few of those stamp things for custom maps in TF2, all the money goes to the map authors. Possibly the greatest use of micro-transactions I can think of.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Birds Jul 11, 2011, 12:55 DG

IIRC it's recommended to restrict the quantities of feed outside of winter or they can start just ignoring wild foods.

Not sure if that applies when living in large urban areas though...

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo