Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1659 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Syndicate-Inspired Cartel Revealed
8. Re: Syndicate-Inspired Cartel Revealed Sep 21, 2011, 15:29 DG

Hmm, hope to hear some news on this one when release nears  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization V Game of the Year Edition This Month
12. Re: Civilization V Game of the Year Edition This Month Sep 14, 2011, 17:06 DG

Kastagir wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:48:
I'll admit, I heard some good things about Civ V, but I haven't played an offering from the series since Civ 1 or 2 because I didn't care for the cheating AI. Has anything changed?
IIRC, The AI still cheats above normal (prince?) difficulty, basically it gives them health/happiness bonuses like you get on the easier difficulties. On the hard settings it gets a bonus tech and unit at the start too.

Must admit it's one of my nuisances with it, especially since the hard part is anyway the start.

News Comments > Civilization V Game of the Year Edition This Month
7. Re: Civilization V Game of the Year Edition This Month Sep 14, 2011, 14:32 DG

Tumbler wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:11:
Hmmmm, wonder how much this will cost...
Generally they have used their GOTY editions to lift prices back towards the original retail price, but no higher (usually a bit less in practice).

If your favoured store was selling it at $50 on release and $25 now, I'd hazard a guess at $40. Not sure about Steam though, due to the still-irritating distributor deals they might be required to list it there at the $50.

I'm hoping for a pack for us buying the game at launch. I'm not paying more than $10 for it though, and I'm not sure it's worth even that but for getting fully up to date.

News Comments > Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience"
15. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a Sep 11, 2011, 14:46 DG

oh FFS.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 14:20 DG

I suspect today's much-reduced quality standards are primarily due to demand. Most people buy things as cheap as possible and replace things every few years even if they are in perfect working order. Anecdotal observation suggests to me those most likely to be doing this are also those who waste the most money on things, i.e. the most attractive customers.

In the balance of things influencing what people buy - at the point of purchase i.e. what they do, not what they subsequently think - the importance of price has increased over durability. In a sense there's some fair-do there, why add $1 to the price of a product in order to make it last longer than the buyer will use it?

That and a lot of products are more complicated yet produced at less capable factories, selected overwhelmingly by cost. Often the factory is some contractor rather than the brand-owner themselves.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 11:45 DG

another test (sorry)

edit: is it right, er, intentional I mean, that I can't delete my own comments?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 11:41 DG

test  

News Comments > Team Bondi in Administration
10. Re: Team Bondi in Administration Sep 1, 2011, 12:55 DG

(Disclaimer: in UK...)

To be fair liquidation is used sometimes to wind down a business, laying off employees and enabling the owners to realise the money they have invested in the company as a capital gain (usually taxed lower than if by dividend or salary).

Creditors do get paid first. In UK employees are preferred creditors and any owed pay, including redundancy and holiday pay, are first in line unless e.g. a bank loan has a fixed security over assets. Whether the investors get any money depends if anything is left over afterwards.

Beamer or Ludomancer may be correct.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 14:46 DG

Oh yeah, and I still find forward+strafe a hard habit to break. Sometimes I still catch myself doing it and sometimes I catch myself not doing it then remember I shouldn't be  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 14:44 DG

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:28:
SWEET!! Zero-day patches! Good job publishers! Way to push your devs so hard they can't even fucking QA their unfinished products!
I know there's a bit of in there but based on the speed of this I'm comfortable saying this is something they found in the final QA before going gold.

Once you have a release candidate, if you make any changes you need a new release candidate and QA begins again. Even if you make the fix in a couple of days this can put release back significantly as you have to find an available slot to book in the QA team, distribution and everything.

There's always going to be a line where a certain levels of bugginess is going to be accepted for shipping. There's time between going gold and launch day for the dev to make and QA a patch.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 13:44 DG

benchmark *proceeds to show charts using ONE hardware configuration and instead focus on near-identical operating systems*
Sign of a skilled benchmarker that.
mostly because of itís choppy graphics [...] This engine doesnít need a lot of power to perform well
wat?
In my eyes Crystal Engine looks similar to the Source Engine used in Half Life 1 but not as sharp.
Should have gone to Specsavers?
Iím not very impressed by the game, mostly because of itís choppy graphics and Iím afraid Human Revolution will not bring any new fans to the Deus Ex series. I think Human Revolution is designed for fans and not for new players.
Opinion instantly irrelevant.
Iíll show you some DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 screenshots later on [...] * cue DX11 to DX9 comparison shots that do not appear to have any attempt made to identify potential DX10/11 features and don't actually compare the same parts of the images so can't really be compared*
Further signs of a skilled benchmarker.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
76. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 14:28 DG

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 13:16:
All keys from other places are working for pre-load. The TF2 items are if you pre orderd on STEAM only, as far as I can tell.
Yeah and yeah people are using the TF2 items. Mainly seeing the sniper rifle, which appears quite useful in some situations as it penetrates players (but the tracer round gives your position away). Everyone gets to hear a special sound when you get a double kill with it. Other items don't seem interesting.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Catalyst 11.8 Windows 7 Driver Analysis. Aug 21, 2011, 06:56 DG

Good way to read reports is to read the intro and executive summary/conclusions. No point reading the supporting info unless something interests you in the conclusions.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
66. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Aug 21, 2011, 06:47 DG

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 19:56:
Then you've broken his NDA, and in turn are criminally libel for anything you've posted.
Semantics maybe, but it's morning and this bugs me.

It's a breach of contract, a civil wrong for which the wronged party can take the wrongdoer to court. As a party to the contract the press-friend can be sued by Eidos for recompense or some other remedy along similar lines. I'd presume they'd have a hard time proving much in the way of damages though. In practice press-NDAs tend to be more just a formal way of agreeing what will stop you getting advance press games in future.

the_culture is not party to any contract, cannot have breached a contract and is not liable at all.

Crimes are against society and are prosecuted by the state. It has to be a crime before you can go to jail, have a criminal record or be "a criminal".

Also, probably being grammar police on an auto-correct here, but libel is something else, a different civil wrong. You're probably thinking of liable.

edit: after hitting reply another page of comments appears Blush

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
23. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Aug 18, 2011, 16:05 DG

Last couple of drivers I've had corruption in the PowerDVD menus of Blurays? Anyone else seen that? My google-fu is too weak to wade through all the other powerdvd & ati shit.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews--Deus Ex Aug 18, 2011, 15:38 DG

I think DXHR is going to be my post-exam treat along with a hardware upgrade. Jury might be in on whether BF3 is worth the Origin shite by then too.

On the downside I have to wait until beginning of November as I can't be playing anything until exam is done...

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
105. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 15:54 DG

I'm missing the part where this is good for the consumer.

When I buy anything I expect to be able to use it as I please, not when the seller's servers and my ISP allows.

"If we could force people to always be connected when you play the game, and then have that be acceptable, awesome."

Excellent PR there Tim, just awesome.

News Comments > Take-Two's Q1 Losses; New GTA Next Year?
11. Re: Take-Two's Q1 Losses; New GTA Next Year? Aug 9, 2011, 14:21 DG

Perhaps GTA: London wouldn't be for the best right now  

News Comments > New Civilization V DLC Packs This Week
5. Re: New Civilization V DLC Packs This Week Aug 8, 2011, 15:19 DG

Paketep wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 14:58:
This. I'm not buying Civ5 until they put out a complete pack on sale and promise there will be no more DLC.
Me either. This nickel & dime crap is irritating and, as I have no interest in scenarios, for me it's overpriced. I probably will pick up a pack when it's on sale though.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
23. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 14:19 DG

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 12:58:
It absolutely is Steam. They don't get a cut if DLC is sold IN GAME, so they don't allow it.

Is this definitely accurate? My understanding is that Valve wanted DLC for any game to be available to buy via Steam, not that it had to be the only route nor that it would take a cut from sales via those other routes.

That's a fundamentally different position, though I can understand Steam might want to take a cut on DLC that it has to service e.g. pay the bandwidth costs for patches.

1659 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo