Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 11:26 DG

Somehow a brief review of a comment thread has always told me more than thousands of words on a multi-page in-depth professional review.

Most reviews never really get across well whether the game is fun.

Specifically multiplayer, I don't often see a review get this right. Maybe because many have to review pre-launch, so presumably any play they get is like what you get in closed betas: sterile and uncreative.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GTAV Trailer Today
4. Re: GTAV Trailer Today Nov 2, 2011, 11:11 DG

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 10:10:
GIMMIE! NAO!

<F5>
<F5>
<F5>

edit: Video should be @ http://www.rockstargames.com/ as well as bookface...

countdown is 48 mins from now...
<F5>
<F5>
<F5>

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
7. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Nov 1, 2011, 13:53 DG

Known Issues under the Windows Vista Operating System:
Civilization V may experience random crashes when run at High or Medium game settings.
I think I'll just stick with my current drivers until I get around to ordering my new build then...

News Comments > NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues
29. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:28 DG

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:04:
I have a much larger issue with my system that I still haven't solved. It will reboot every time it goes into a power-saving mode, even if that power-saving mode is just shutting off the monitors. Occasionally it will reboot while I'm using it. It will also occasionally reboot when coming back from sleep mode, assuming it managed to go into it. And these rebooting fits come in for a week or two then disappear for a week or two, but during that week it will also crash when I try to install software.

Baffling. It passes every diagnostic exam. It very rarely gives me a blue screen so I can't check that. I think (but I'm not sure) changing any power options doesn't help, so it may be that it crashes just when it hasn't been used in a while. Having a movie running in the background at all times prevents the crashing entirely. I have no clue if this is motherboard, HDD or video card related. Certain aspects seem to indicate any of the above.
This rings a bell. I'm sure I've stumbled over something at least similar on the Anandtech forums while I've been researching my new build.

Do you by any chance have a Sandforce-based SSD, that doesn't use the recent firmware?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 30, 2011, 14:38 DG

There's a lot of folks not really into gaming much who play that. Anyway not much competition, the #2 spot is a 2 week pre-order whereas that's the first week of release of FM2012.

Also, due to it's nature it's the kind of game football fans buy on release.

Bizarrely, because the developer has an epic network of scouts to rank players in local leagues, it's thought some of the big teams use it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 13:17 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:26:
On that note - I am looking for a slimmer antivirus solution if anyone has one that isn't a resource hog, let me know. AVG is killin me.
Lot of folks recommending MS's freebie Security Essentials.

I still have AVG on this machine just out of habit, but installed SE on a work laptop. Does seem very light but then it also seems light on configuration options. There's no gamer mode and not sure it's smart enough to delay a scheduled scan while you're in-game (it does scan when I have work programs open, but they're not CPU-intensive).

Also I doubt it is very aggressive about what and when it scans, so doubt I'd recommend it to anyone with, how should I say, high-risk internet activities.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2011, 13:07 DG

Oh thanks for the reminder, now I have free time I'll need to grab that for the 360. Haven't even turned that thing on since GTA:IV.

Would much rather be playing it on the PC though...

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week
36. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week Oct 25, 2011, 15:42 DG

Hmm, I'd hoped it was time for a return to Vice City* but not thinking there's anything about this logo (admittedly just a dollar note theme) to support that.

Sadly I suspect this will be 2012 for Xbox and 2013 for PC, if at all.

*(Beamer: you missed the best one IMHO, especially if you didn't like San Andreas which is my least-liked. VC is the most outragous and fun-orientated one of the 3D versions)

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
60. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:11 DG

Hmm, this is tempting.

I really, really dislike about everything I've heard about Origin. I really don't like EA. After the clusterfuck of bugs and BS that was BF2142, I don't think I like DICE or BF much either.

But then where's the big MP games coming from? And I'm upgrading soon...

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
7. Re: TF2 Oct 20, 2011, 10:14 DG

Not just me and my fave servers then...

I thought I might be having problems when I got a hl2.exe crash the other day. I'd been getting some minor symptoms too like sometimes the sound stutters and occasionally I get graphical corruption (effect similar to the range indicator when positioning a sentry). Plus big lag spikes.

Servers have frequently lost connection to the item server, had half the players dropped after map change (server reports failed Steam auth) or they just crash.

Bit miffed with TF2 at the moment because I can't understand why performance is so poor for a 4 year old game that was never cutting-edge. On a Core2Duo E8500 with a ATI6950 an intense timedemo comes out at ~80fps (5 var), changing the advanced visuals options from all low to all high is +/- 2 fps which suggests it's completely CPU bottlenecked.

80fps with variance of 5 seems all good though yeah? Actually in the game is a different story. After noticing things during play I did a little test:

Alone in the spawn room, fps way past 100. With someone idling in there it fell to ~80. Turn around 360 degrees and watch the fps counter jump back to 100 by looking away from the player. Respawn wave hit, more players in the room and FPS is hit even more.

On the Turbine map, in the central area my FPS is either over 100 if most people are off screen battling for the intel or whatever, but in the 40s while the battle is for control of the centre.

OK thinks I, minimise the model detail. Nope. Shadows? Nope. Everything? Nope.

I never used to notice it really, I could swear it gets worse with every update bringing new items. Could easily be imagining that though I guess.

News Comments > Syndicate Gameplay Trailer
38. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 14, 2011, 07:59 DG

Lorcin wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:36:
Oh and is there any reason why stuff like the original Syndicate couldn't be remade and released as a facebook game or cheap app? Ohhhh can see a really twisted Facebook version - imagine normal syndicate game play - but the civilians are all from your friends list!

Oh I'd be all "take my money" for the original with nothing more than a graphics update

News Comments > Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale
7. Re: Steam Workshop Launched; Mann Store Sale Oct 14, 2011, 07:44 DG

Items purchased from the store have never been craftable. This avoids accidentally turning something you've purchased into scrap - and avoids letting you buy something cheap in order to craft something expensive.

I bought some stuff when they first released it for the sake of trying it out (400 hours into this game, I don't mind volunteering a donation), of the 4 items I bought, 3 dropped in the following couple of weeks!

Crate key is only thing I'd consider buying. TBH, I'd like some unusual items. No idea why, it's completely stupid, somehow kinda fun anyway. Again I'd probably have a different viewpoint if I'd paid $60 for the game instead of 400 hours for next to nothing through the Orange Box.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 07:51.

News Comments > Syndicate Gameplay Trailer
31. Re: Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Oct 13, 2011, 18:04 DG

Still not Syndicate. If it's not isometric, an Executive controlling his minions via satellite link, it's not Syndicate.

The cyberpunk theme, the violence and some references are the only thing Syndicate. The gameplay isn't. This is much more DX:HR. And yeah I can moan about it because I want another Syndicate.

So, anyway, NotSyndicate looks kind of interesting. I do hope that there are varied ways to solve things though, quite often in Syndicate the kill 'em all approach wasn't even the most fun, never mind the most effective. Some missions were bloody hard then solved easily when on a whim I just wandered in with a persuadeatron. So more DX:HR I guess.

"Research" seems to be based on finding things, which appear to give instant upgrades. I liked the original way where you spend money to direct specific research - finding things gave researching that item a boost. IIRC if you found an item and then didn't use it, you got a better research bonus? Or could choose to either use it for research or continue to use it, something like that.

Some of the features here seemed absurd. Breach seems rather OP and easy, maybe it's an early mission though, or tweaked for demonstration purposes. It makes no sense that an electronic signal has further range than weapons. Recharged by adrenaline, so you have to stay in the thick of the action? I guess it might work as a game mechanic, but, wat? I hope movement was slow in the trailer because for demonstration purposes he was holding the walk button or something.

So, a fairly generic FPS with RPG/unlock elements, set in the Syndicate universe. Might be OK. Hope the graphics are better on PC. Decided to keep an open mind; publishers can go jump for not doing a proper Syndicate game, but anyway might be a decent game.

But I'm not calling it Syndicate.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
9. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 12, 2011, 14:43 DG

That rules AMD out for my upgrade.

Eyeing up a 2500k but I'm a little wary of the Sandy Bridge-E coming soon.

News Comments > ITV Arma2 Incident Investigated
4. Re: ITV Arma2 Incident Investigated Oct 11, 2011, 15:52 DG

It's a lot of this:

Dev wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 13:42:
More lazy reporting. They didn't want to film their own stuff, so they grabbed it from a game. Reminds me of all the news outlets that get caught up in fake celeb death notices sometimes (often taken off a parody news site like theonion), they seldom bother to fact check. So much news nowadays is taken straight from company or political press releases without bothering to double check any of it.

And none whatsoever of this:

Bard wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 11:07:
Anyone want to bet the producer of the show is a zionist?

You can keep your anti-Jew/pro-Jew shit over there thanks. We don't have it and don't want it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: youtube film rentals in UK Oct 10, 2011, 14:19 DG

New releases will cost 3.49 to rent and library titles 2.49
3.49 is about $5.50. All these online rentals try to charge the same as Blockbuster did, didn't they notice how that worked out?

I can buy many older DVDs for 3 at Play/Amazon, or even bricks & mortar Fopp.

I rent DVDs and Blurays for ~13/m ordered online and mailed out; I get through about 14 disks a month; <1 per disk.

I might pay 2 to rent a new movie. Paying 3x can sometimes be worth the being able to choose exactly what and when to watch. I'd probably pay 15/m for unlimited viewing. 3.50 a pop? Nope.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2011, 14:04 DG

Well, now I feel old, but congratulations and salutations.

Broke 599m not so long ago on the semi-hidden counter also.

News Comments > Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors
23. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 8, 2011, 10:39 DG

Flatline wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:55:
Heh. Usually when there's issues the employees are the first to lose their paychecks.
Is this some US thing? In UK creditors are being told "cheque's in the post" and all that well before employees stop being paid.

Even if the company gets liquidated, if someone else has a fixed security they can take away that specific asset but otherwise employees are first in line to get money owed (including for any holidays not taken).

Bosses have equal standing with other staff - but only debts that related to them being an employee. If they have an investment and also are owed salary then only the salary gets preferential treatment.

Very surprised it's done differently elsewhere, since the basic rationale is that employees are not taking on risks & rewards of business and anyway the employee needs better protection since they do 100% of their trade, as it were, with the employer. That's some messed-up priorities if employees aren't at the front of the queue.

News Comments > Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors
18. Re: Staff Are Team Bondi's Largest Creditors Oct 7, 2011, 17:32 DG

Fairly safe bet that employees not being paid knew chances are they'd never see any money. For any business the first people to get paid are staff.

It's not always stupid to keep on working for nothing; on the one hand you have the strong probability of nothing but on the other you have the certainty of nothing. Turn up at work and maybe get paid, maybe build CV, or have a lie-in and grow a beard.

When the employer is genuinely in trouble and not just taking the piss the sage advice isn't quite in the 20/20 focus you get with hindsight.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2011, 14:03 DG

I used to ghost my drive but these days I just dump a rar of My Docs and the firefox profile onto a USB stick.

Next upgrade probably winter, will include an SSD which I'll use for Win7 and Programs. My Docs goes to a HDD. Not sure whether to stick with this Western Digital (which was very fast in it's day and been super reliable) and use a new drive for image backup, or vice-versa. Guess I'll check some performance benchmarks or whatever.

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo