Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1672 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?
35. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:47 DG

wtf_man wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:08:
[...] While that may be true, the numbers may not be as big as you think. I mean Steam only peaked at 250k or so concurrent users... [...]
Aye but then compare to MW3.

Steam Peak Today numbers at time of writing:
231,443 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
79,252 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer

I'm not convinced the stat is useful at telling you anything much further than what it is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Saints Row: The Third
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Saints Row: The Third Nov 15, 2011, 12:40 DG

Interested in your comments for this game. Enjoyed SR2 but not enough to make this a pre-order.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 14, 2011, 14:33 DG

PHJF wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 12:16:
I've never met anyone who owned a $1000 processor.
They're for people with more money than sense, for people with a hobby and a lot of disposable income, but mostly for workstations. 10 minutes off a compile/render/whatever each day can pay off a $750 premium in about 3 weeks if you've a $300/hr charge rate.

News Comments > EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans?
29. Re: EA Forum Bans Still Earning Game Bans? Nov 14, 2011, 13:42 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 11:46:
However, I would like to point out that I disagree with Valve's policy of permanent account wide VAC bans for cheating.
The distinction may lack much comfort in practice but there are three fundamental differences between adding a detected cheater to a MP server-only ban database optionally enabled by server admins, versus near total discretion in the removal of purchased licences.

Remember VAC is a product for server admins, not for players. Server admins are saying you're not playing on MY server if you've been detected as a cheater. VAC is merely the tool.

News Comments > Steam Forums Hacked?
16. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 7, 2011, 12:47 DG

MxxCon wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 12:12:
Am I correct that there are 3 different logins: Steam itself, Steam forums and Steam support site?
Yes, though IIRC there's also Steam Community which is the Steam Itself login.

Steam Itself & Community are also protected by their monitoring your PC spec, though this does nothing really if they also break into the email account which Steam Itself is registered to.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 6, 2011, 18:42 DG

Hmm, that's annoying.

CD's are the one legal universal standard for conveniently and reliably obtaining MP3 (albeit requiring a conversion) of any desired quality/size, from any label.

CDs are also cheaper.

(YMMV)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 6, 2011, 09:42 DG

Every article (and just about every interwebs comment) I've read on corporate taxes outside of the Economist and accounting trade mags demonstrate a complete lack of any understanding of corporation tax and accounting.

Cutter, negative tax charge indicates a loss made. If you made a loss, you could recover it against the previous or next year's taxable income too.

Same with bonus performance pay plans, there's a solid vein of truth about exorbitant total remuneration of executives but the articles wrap it up in a load of complete BS. Here for example that $400m is effectively over a 10 year period. $40m is your vein of truth, $360m is the BS wrapping.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim
59. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Nov 4, 2011, 22:12 DG

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 16:28:
and on another note, I have held off playing the latest Grand theft auto games and was looking to try them out on the PC, does using an xbox360 controller there work better for the game experience or does keyboard/mouse ?
controller, though you can swap to and fro.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Announcement
47. Re: Mithyatva Mohaniya Karma Nov 3, 2011, 19:25 DG

Heard it here first kids, GTA V's gonna be biblical!  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
11. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 13:06 DG

That thar be Tommy Vercetti? In San Andreas?  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2011, 11:26 DG

Somehow a brief review of a comment thread has always told me more than thousands of words on a multi-page in-depth professional review.

Most reviews never really get across well whether the game is fun.

Specifically multiplayer, I don't often see a review get this right. Maybe because many have to review pre-launch, so presumably any play they get is like what you get in closed betas: sterile and uncreative.

News Comments > GTAV Trailer Today
4. Re: GTAV Trailer Today Nov 2, 2011, 11:11 DG

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 10:10:
GIMMIE! NAO!

<F5>
<F5>
<F5>

edit: Video should be @ http://www.rockstargames.com/ as well as bookface...

countdown is 48 mins from now...
<F5>
<F5>
<F5>

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
7. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Nov 1, 2011, 13:53 DG

Known Issues under the Windows Vista Operating System:
Civilization V may experience random crashes when run at High or Medium game settings.
I think I'll just stick with my current drivers until I get around to ordering my new build then...

News Comments > NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues
29. Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 14:28 DG

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:04:
I have a much larger issue with my system that I still haven't solved. It will reboot every time it goes into a power-saving mode, even if that power-saving mode is just shutting off the monitors. Occasionally it will reboot while I'm using it. It will also occasionally reboot when coming back from sleep mode, assuming it managed to go into it. And these rebooting fits come in for a week or two then disappear for a week or two, but during that week it will also crash when I try to install software.

Baffling. It passes every diagnostic exam. It very rarely gives me a blue screen so I can't check that. I think (but I'm not sure) changing any power options doesn't help, so it may be that it crashes just when it hasn't been used in a while. Having a movie running in the background at all times prevents the crashing entirely. I have no clue if this is motherboard, HDD or video card related. Certain aspects seem to indicate any of the above.
This rings a bell. I'm sure I've stumbled over something at least similar on the Anandtech forums while I've been researching my new build.

Do you by any chance have a Sandforce-based SSD, that doesn't use the recent firmware?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 30, 2011, 14:38 DG

There's a lot of folks not really into gaming much who play that. Anyway not much competition, the #2 spot is a 2 week pre-order whereas that's the first week of release of FM2012.

Also, due to it's nature it's the kind of game football fans buy on release.

Bizarrely, because the developer has an epic network of scouts to rank players in local leagues, it's thought some of the big teams use it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2011, 13:17 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:26:
On that note - I am looking for a slimmer antivirus solution if anyone has one that isn't a resource hog, let me know. AVG is killin me.
Lot of folks recommending MS's freebie Security Essentials.

I still have AVG on this machine just out of habit, but installed SE on a work laptop. Does seem very light but then it also seems light on configuration options. There's no gamer mode and not sure it's smart enough to delay a scheduled scan while you're in-game (it does scan when I have work programs open, but they're not CPU-intensive).

Also I doubt it is very aggressive about what and when it scans, so doubt I'd recommend it to anyone with, how should I say, high-risk internet activities.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2011, 13:07 DG

Oh thanks for the reminder, now I have free time I'll need to grab that for the 360. Haven't even turned that thing on since GTA:IV.

Would much rather be playing it on the PC though...

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week
36. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week Oct 25, 2011, 15:42 DG

Hmm, I'd hoped it was time for a return to Vice City* but not thinking there's anything about this logo (admittedly just a dollar note theme) to support that.

Sadly I suspect this will be 2012 for Xbox and 2013 for PC, if at all.

*(Beamer: you missed the best one IMHO, especially if you didn't like San Andreas which is my least-liked. VC is the most outragous and fun-orientated one of the 3D versions)

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
60. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 18:11 DG

Hmm, this is tempting.

I really, really dislike about everything I've heard about Origin. I really don't like EA. After the clusterfuck of bugs and BS that was BF2142, I don't think I like DICE or BF much either.

But then where's the big MP games coming from? And I'm upgrading soon...

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
7. Re: TF2 Oct 20, 2011, 10:14 DG

Not just me and my fave servers then...

I thought I might be having problems when I got a hl2.exe crash the other day. I'd been getting some minor symptoms too like sometimes the sound stutters and occasionally I get graphical corruption (effect similar to the range indicator when positioning a sentry). Plus big lag spikes.

Servers have frequently lost connection to the item server, had half the players dropped after map change (server reports failed Steam auth) or they just crash.

Bit miffed with TF2 at the moment because I can't understand why performance is so poor for a 4 year old game that was never cutting-edge. On a Core2Duo E8500 with a ATI6950 an intense timedemo comes out at ~80fps (5 var), changing the advanced visuals options from all low to all high is +/- 2 fps which suggests it's completely CPU bottlenecked.

80fps with variance of 5 seems all good though yeah? Actually in the game is a different story. After noticing things during play I did a little test:

Alone in the spawn room, fps way past 100. With someone idling in there it fell to ~80. Turn around 360 degrees and watch the fps counter jump back to 100 by looking away from the player. Respawn wave hit, more players in the room and FPS is hit even more.

On the Turbine map, in the central area my FPS is either over 100 if most people are off screen battling for the intel or whatever, but in the 40s while the battle is for control of the centre.

OK thinks I, minimise the model detail. Nope. Shadows? Nope. Everything? Nope.

I never used to notice it really, I could swear it gets worse with every update bringing new items. Could easily be imagining that though I guess.

1672 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo