Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1671 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Plans?
20. Re: PC Alan Wake Plans? Dec 13, 2011, 13:16 DG

I'd probably buy this if it comes out a good game.

So... I probably won't be buying it then, but I'm open to the possibility that they'll do a good job. However unlikely general experience points to that being.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 13, 2011, 13:12 DG

Hmm, I already whitelist Bluesnews and a few other sites. My old host file still chops out quite a bit, that approach still seems faster and safer but more to the point most of the entries I no longer remember what they're for, so I wouldn't want to remove them.

I'd expect to be leaving this enabled, though they've got hard work ahead because it's only going to require a couple of bad eggs to sneak through before it gets disabled and forgotten about.

News Comments > Diablo III Opening Cinematic
21. Re: Diablo III Opening Cinematic Dec 12, 2011, 13:21 DG

FloorPie wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:56:
Is there a reason why you tube embeds don't work anymore at all with firefox and noscript? I can't get it to load at all, just a black screen with the play button showing in the middle.
Worked fine for me. Have you whitelisted ytimg?

News Comments > GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday
8. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 10, 2011, 15:26 DG

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 13:58:
Why not just give an official statement now...?
I'd guess there's a lot of meetings going on with directors, maybe shareholders and creditors etc, many countries' laws can be quite specific in the procedure including when announcements can be made. And there might be various options still on the table.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2011, 07:59 DG

Razumen, the dashboard updates are a deliberate strategy. It's basically the same as what's going on with smartphones, Steam and/or, say, TF2. It's turning a product-thing into a service-thing.  

News Comments > Steam Coupon Support
20. Re: Steam Coupon Support Dec 7, 2011, 13:10 DG

Worked for me, noted it does not know about DLC unless listed separately, though it appears to ignore some of those that are e.g. DXHR Missing Link. Possible it includes the latter in totals, I can't check as my prices aren't $USD.

Actually I see it's picked up Civ IV: Warlords, Civ IV: BtS but not Civ IV, nor Civ V.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2011, 13:17.

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
30. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 15:01 DG

C&C closer to SC than TA. Relatively small scale and more micro. Especially in MP, for which yeah speed chess comes to mind. Some, generally more casual gamers, don't allow attacking for 10 mins or whatever, to make it more a base-building game.

You've missed out on some games that a lot of people put into their all-time top 10. Usually there's one of: the first C&C, first two RA's and maybe Generals:ZH.

edit: Ant quoted while I was editing btw

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 3, 2011, 11:42 DG

On die would mean using a lot of space of very expensive wafers for a component that can be made on far cheaper silicon and process. It also means your wastage is far higher, every time there is a fault in the memory the cpu has to be chucked out too.

Much more likely is they've confused the on-cpu memory controller or maybe the ram is soldered onto the package i.e. the pcb.

FWIW ram prices are extremely cheap right now, but these guys have to plan for prices over a long period. Nintendo don't exactly go for a powerful machine, their market doesn't really want it and few of their games require it. Doesn't the current one only have 128mb or something?

News Comments > Syndicate Trailer
3. Re: Syndicate Trailer Dec 2, 2011, 09:19 DG

Looking more and more like a combat-orientated DX:HR.

...Which is no bad thing.

Still wishing they'd stop calling it Syndicate though. I'd like to kid myself that just maybe someone is working on a proper isometric syndicate. Or even just applying modern graphics. Shit, I might even settle for a FB game, and I hate FB.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
3. Re: TF2 update Nov 30, 2011, 09:24 DG

Dramatically improved the dynamic model loading system's memory usage, performance, and stability
If that's what I'm thinking it is, that could be two big, very long-running issue sorted out there. (I'm assuming, OK hoping, it's the absurd performance drop soon as 1 player enters the screen plus the frequent times when it stops drawing weapons)

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2011, 19:45 DG

Decided to finally pick up the Civ V DLC, though still overpriced as I don't play the scenarios.

If you're buying the game it's cheaper to buy the near-complete GOTY version. If you have the game and want all the DLC, there's semi-hidden mini bundles that knock a further 15% off in total. Korea+wonders, Denmark+explorer and Cradle. Polynesia, Spain and Babylon don't seem to have bundles.

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2011, 20:25 DG

Dead Island is tempting, but people seemed to have mixed views and I already bought more games than I'm going to be able to play  

News Comments > On Sale
33. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2011, 13:34 DG

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:33:
FO3 had better exploration IMO, a lot more random, cool stuff to find. FO:NV had way better writing, quests and characterization though.
NV is kinda better in most ways but I'd go for FO3 over NV every time. While I certainly enjoyed it, NV felt ordinary while FO3 kept trying to do cool and interesting things with video games. The juxtaposition of the Wasteland after the Vault. Megaton and blowing it up. Tenpenny Tower. A giant robot. Aliens. The Oasis.

News Comments > On Sale
19. Re: On Sale Nov 24, 2011, 16:11 DG

Bagging the NV DLC, been waiting for it to come on sale and nearly missed it thinking it was only the main game an error I keep repeating). Glad you guys noted it...

Is LA Noire a definite buy? A lot of people were raving about it back when, though I'm not convinced a detective game is my kind of thing.

[Edit: nevermind this. Did some more reading and looking like Shogun 2 would be the one, if any, that might be for me.] Also, Total War pack? I loved Shogun, enjoyed the first Medieval then found Rome really boring. I'd probably only play whichever is the best one.

I know it's not a lot of dough, but a game like that takes a lot of time investment even to get to the point of deciding whether I like it. I don't have that much time anyway and I'm only half way through DX:HR, just bought a load of NV DLC, Skyrim and Saints Row 3 to pick up. I also have a list of games bought in Steam sales that I haven't even installed yet, like Company of Heroes, Stalker 1 & 2, Just Cause 2, Max Payne 2, Metro 2033, Tomb Raider Anniversary, both the GTA IV DLC... That's on top of the various games I've never played but taken off the list. Oh yeah and I've been wanting to get back into Civ for a while...

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2011, 16:18.

News Comments > Diablo III Stackable Item Auctions
3. Re: Diablo III Stackable Item Auctions Nov 23, 2011, 13:03 DG

So... Any hats?  

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
86. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 13:05 DG

Dev wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 10:57:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 08:27:
I HATE, HATE, HATE having to backup all the obscure hidden folders that modern games use - when the FUCK did backing up saves become so much hassle? GFWL especially is a step backwards.
Don't forget flash games if you are into casual flash type games. They usually save save games in a flash object. Those can be hard to track down too. And nowadays (thanks to a recent decision by adobe), when you wipe browser cache, flash automatically clears out all flash objects too.

Game user data (saves and configs) should always be saved into the User folder (which should really be a "Library" IMHO). This way you get to separate saves & configs between users, they're in a typical backup folder and, if Library is used, you can move the folder as you like with no problems. MS pushed this way back when, but uptake is... mixed. Tried finding DXHR saves? They're not even in a folder marked DX or Eidos or anything, it's "28050".

Flash cache is removed due to vulnerabilities and all that shadiness around flash persistent cookies. Have you tried adding the game website's address as a cookie exception? Might need to lookup the actual name, try flash manager

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Special Edition Preorders
8. Re: Max Payne 3 Special Edition Preorders Nov 22, 2011, 12:32 DG

Each unto their own and all that for "collector's editions", but exclusive MP weapons is lame.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2011, 12:45 DG

Happy birthday  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Jimmy Fallon Nov 19, 2011, 20:14 DG

Maybe just a pessimist but I have a hard time imagining Arrested Development will be the same, or anything like as good.  

News Comments > Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?
35. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:47 DG

wtf_man wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:08:
[...] While that may be true, the numbers may not be as big as you think. I mean Steam only peaked at 250k or so concurrent users... [...]
Aye but then compare to MW3.

Steam Peak Today numbers at time of writing:
231,443 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
79,252 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer

I'm not convinced the stat is useful at telling you anything much further than what it is.

1671 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo