Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1667 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
20. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jan 24, 2012, 13:15 DG

Whoa, that's some performance improvement.

Still, nope. Not touching this until after a lot of feedback. Not risking 63 hours so far.

Although...

Although...

Although I could just backup my saves, run steam backup and give it a go. Worst happens just opt out of the beta and restore the backups.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash
21. Re: Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash Jan 24, 2012, 13:06 DG

yuastnav wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:05:
Please tell me you are not serious. TFC/TF2 are nothing like Enemy Territory, I even dare say that ET was rather unique in its gameplay, not only concerning how the maps were designed and how the game mechanics worked but that every map had some background i.e. a small story behind it.
Team Fortress on the other hand never seemed very interesting to me.
TF massively influenced RTCW to which ET is, well somewhere between an offshoot and a sequel. TF2 is more or less an offshoot-sequel to TF.

Folks who played those games can certainly say each of those games have major differences in just about everything. On the other hand, step back a bit and it's also clear these games are the TF genre.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 22, 2012, 16:23 DG

I just can't get anything done in Skyrim. I just had a couple of hours spare time spent in it and literally all I got done was explore Riften.

Still, at least I probably have a bazillion gold worth of crap deposited in Breezehome. When I finally get around to selling that shit Whiterun is going to collapse because my magic infinity chest must have undermined the entire place into a cavern miles deep.

News Comments > AMD Radeon HD 7900 Driver
2. Re: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Driver Jan 21, 2012, 08:22 DG

I've a 6950 and already they're phasing out proper support?  

News Comments > No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday
12. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:32 DG

So Syndicate Original, sweet. Anyone have any ideas on graphics update modding potential? I'm guessing not much. OTOH there's maybe scope for someone to do a rebuild mod (as user can import the copyright stuff from a legit original).

Being waaaaaay optimistic here, but it's a nice thought.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 13:27 DG

I'm from UK and full support for the "blackout". Partly because US internet-related laws affect me but mostly on principle.

I can't say I know what such a blackout will accomplish,
A full-on blackout firmly demonstrates the strength of the views held by the website and communicates the potential implications of the bill. It's extremely unambiguous and unmissable for anyone trying to visit the website that day.

Lots of companies and "important" people like to make strongly-worded statements but they pretty much read as "blah blah blah" to most people. There's always people making strongly worded statements and much of the time it's about something inconsequential or plain BS. A blackout puts your money and your reputation firmly where you're mouth is, it's not just words.

Reddit's a pretty big site and blacking out should get a fair bit of chat on FB, twitter etc but Wikipedia is the real heavy-hitter here. That's a massive site across all demographics, including key voters, and with TV-credibility. And, it's a real resource to it's users. You don't just get people having to find somewhere else to while away a few hours, you've got people worried about a threat to one of their resources.

Will it actually accomplish defeating the bills? Who knows, but at least it's giving it the best shot.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
28. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:01 DG

Didn't buy BF3 due to Origin, won't be buying ME3 due to origin.

Shame, it's been a good series. Though I kept hearing bad-sounding noises about the game so maybe it won't turn out to be much of a loss.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: passwords Jan 14, 2012, 06:17 DG

Odd that they blame Bill Gates then explain how he was the one pushing for good yet practical security (two factor).  

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
11. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 14, 2012, 06:06 DG

I'm at a loss to the point of this blog other than to vent.

The guy basically says that he accepted not being paid overtime, accepted not receiving payslips and accepted breaching the Working Time Directive... All the time until redundancy when it's suddenly not okay.

He then notices he's been overpaid but they all get together in the pub and manage to arrive at a conclusion that their scumbag employer decided to gift them some free money even though they were closing down. It's absurdly unrealistic, it seems obvious they spotted the mistake but felt they deserved the money so between them conjured up a reason to convince themselves it was legit. From the read I can sympathise that they "deserve" it, but that's not the same as actually being due it and the probability of it being clawed back is obvious. He even says their conclusion was the "overriding opinion" which to me hints very strongly that there were at least some voices there saying exactly what it really was.

He also keeps referencing an employment tribunal and legal advice then backs off it. Why? Get shit done instead of pointlessly whining in a blog ffs.

Sure, I'm sympathetic that he's had a scumbag employer and yes they are the villain, but it's giving him too much credit to say he's been extremely naive throughout, it's really childish and the the blog itself reinforces this.

Bear in mind this is the UK where labour laws are very strict and very much more in favour of employees compared to my impressions of the US. The basics and principles of the laws which he says he was not aware of earlier are basic common knowledge and it's most improbable that he would not have been made aware of them through any discussion with family or even random bloke in the pub.

News Comments > BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up
39. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:12 DG

what?

Banning people based on submitted user reports? I don't think so.

Anyone who's ever played multi-player has very probably come across someone being called a cheater and found no reason to believe it. Since you're reading Blues, you're probably an experienced enough gamer that you've probably been accused of cheating on a number of occasions.

What can they do to follow up the accusations? Perhaps look at stats but then why bother with reports, just look up stats. Reporting cheating to a server admin is worthwhile because they can spectate the player on the server.

Either these guys are happy with the ban hammer or it's a placebo button to placate people annoyed by suspected cheating.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2012, 12:55 DG

Love how the top comment there is (emphasis added)

Chris Thu Dec 08, 2011 08:48 pm PST

How many days in a row are you going to post this same exact article I mean really it's been what 4 days in a row over and over again like you just found out 5 seconds ago it's sensationalism at it's worst. I'm starting to think Yahoo! News is staffed by homophobes or you have some anti-gay biased agenda. Why don't you look for something new to report or has it really been that slow of a news week. Shameless, unprofessional, bullsh*t. Get a life people it's a stupid game.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2012, 13:09 DG

I only watch BBC News on our TV, and that's broadcast TV. iPlayer for other TV, otherwise rent DVD.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2012, 12:52 DG

What's absurd about the ROG cards?

That's not a heatsink BTW, it's an interference shield.

The external volume control thing is a bit hmm though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 9, 2012, 13:28 DG

Jerykk wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 18:47:
That said, the game has plenty of scripting bugs without mods. For example, Boethia's quest line is completely broken.

Heh, I think for both FO3 and NV, every mission, trigger, item and whatever have codes on some wikia so when it breaks you can go into the console and reset, trigger, spawn or whatever it in order to work around whatever random thing breaks on your run through.

Folks got that stuff down for Skyrim yet?

Actually, is there like a 1 page summary somewhere of shit you should know before playing Skyrim?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2012, 13:05 DG

Was round at a friend's place and he was using his iPad to control his iTV and using that for his photos, videos and music. Someone started using the iPad for browsing so he picked up his iPhone and used that instead.

Must admit it was pretty neat (if very expensive iHipster-ish) and MS could have similar intentions with a tablet type of device connecting to the xbox. But I very much doubt the primary console would be in the tablet, and it leaves me wondering why they wouldn't push for a kinect-based system instead.

'Course it's another case of rumours on interwebs leads to article leads to rumours on interwebs, but I think the concept of being able to use a Win8 tablet or phone to control the nextbox are very plausable. In fact more like why the hell not, if they're going to make W8 tablets and phones anyway.

They could probably also make it optional in games too, like for an interactive minimap, and if the screen's big enough they could stream the video feed over to it instead of having to fiddle with wires, should someone be watching TV.

News Comments > Steam Grows: Eyes Your Television
26. Re: Steam Grows: Eyes Your Television Jan 6, 2012, 16:17 DG

Looking forward, we are preparing for the launch of the Big Picture UI mode, which will allow gamers to experience Steam on large displays and in more rooms of the house."
I'm not sure this is just a case of supporting TV's-as-monitors better? Particularly as they say "in more rooms of the house" which to me implies non-PC devices?

News Comments > Steam Grows: Eyes Your Television
24. Re: Steam Grows: Eyes Your Television Jan 6, 2012, 16:08 DG

Dev wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 12:48:
Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 12:06:
The Friends list goes down all the time still though, that bugs me.
The real problem? When that goes down during games that depend on it. For instance, dungeon defenders. Whenever steam friends goes down even momentarily, it kills all active games in DunDef. Last time it happened, I was doing the christmas achive for some friends, we had spent an hour and were about 10 secs away from finishing last boss. BANG game is aborted. I don't often do survival, but there's a pet on wave 20 of survival that some people try to get (its not a very good one). Takes like 4 hours to get to that point, and if steam friends goes down at any point during that, BANG, all that time gone.
Seems strange, why does it depend so heavily on the friends list? I'm wondering whether this is a Steam issue that the game hasn't been coded to handle at all gracefully.

News Comments > Syndicate Co-op Trailer
10. Re: Syndicate Co-op Trailer Jan 4, 2012, 07:22 DG

yeah video unimpressive.

I'd still love to buy a simple "Syndicate HD".

News Comments > Syndicate Co-op Trailer
9. Re: Syndicate Co-op Trailer Jan 4, 2012, 07:13 DG

anyone have that youtube url thing that gets around having to login?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/v/GWI53Q5Uwbk (swap the code for /v/, which also puts it into HD and larger size)

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 12:03 DG

Guy decides to participate in something, doesn't enjoy it, but instead of pulling out just goes in ever deeper? Somehow this is all someone else's fault:

Thanks for keeping me from doing that for past two weeks of my life.

Did this guy not realise non-participating games were still there to play or something?

As for the payoff table being poor, well no shit sherlock. The whole thing is always going to be weighted so that the winnings are less than the estimated buying of the participating games, or thereabouts. Did he really think that there would be $50 in games for all X million or however many people participating? Did he think this was some kind of job, where you put time into achieving nothing of substance and you would be due a wage at the end of it?

Idiot.

1667 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo