Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1676 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
15. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:04 DG

Sho wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:00:
How big is the download on the high-res pack?
3GB as posted earlier. Beware after clicking "buy" it installs like a patch so there's no stopping it, unless you want to delete local content, disable auto update then restore a Steam backup, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:01 DG

After messing about changing the locale several times it "suspended" the download, now I got it back and it's coming down at 1.4MB/S.

Strange, but a vast improvement.

4. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 14:46 DG

DG wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 13:41:
Skyrim texture pack is out. 3GB and while it's advertised as free DLC it actually installs as a patch - with no going back - therefore do not "buy" it until you have several hours before you intend to play the game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2012, 14:24 DG

Oh man am I regretting hitting the button. I figured I'd have it in maybe 45mins, time it nicely. I figured that even if slow, since it was presented in the Steam store as DLC I should be able to play the game before finishing.

But nope, download speed isn't in the region of 2MB/S but <70KB/S and no playing until it's done.

Before someone starts screaming about "gamer entitlement", Steam is a high-premium service and I spend a lot of hard-earned money there. Currency is a mechanism for trading entitlements.

For all the faults with Steam, I generally like it rather a lot. The one big bug-bear is how damn slow it is to download even when the content servers are supposedly only at half-capacity.

OK, adding more bandwidth costs money. But they don't manage it at all sensibly - the setup is the worst possible way. Big releases, not just of games, should pre-load. Files should download separately and install afterwards, allowing you to play games before it's done - though admittedly the forced updates are a good idea for MP games. If you launch one SP game while downloading for another, it should continue to download. Sensibly managing a problem for no cost.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2012, 13:41 DG

Skyrim texture pack is out. 3GB and while it's advertised as free DLC it actually installs as a patch - with no going back - therefore do not "buy" it until you have several hours before you intend to play the game.

I don't know why they don't do the preload thing for big updates to massively popular games.

Shame they don't download it like DLC too, which means you can play while you download, though I guess this way it (presumably) deletes the old texture files.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
61. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 12:47 DG

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 17:04:
Got a week of vacation in march, think I'm going to finally have to break down and get this...

Good luck getting far into the game in a mere week...

It's well worth full price. Waiting for that recent patch was a good move, but IMHO I don't imagine there's enough in the pipeline to keep waiting for. At least not unless you go mod-heavy even on the first run through.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 13:49 DG

btw another beta update on Steam, they just updated the previous blog post
http://www.bethblog.com/2012/01/23/now-on-steam-beta-update-for-skyrim/

Update 1/26: A new version of the Beta Update (1.4.20) is now live on Steam. It addresses the following:

* Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended
* Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
* Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
* Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
Glad I did the beta now as expecting to do that bit in Riften today.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 13:46 DG

kanniballl wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 13:16:
99% of these "Now!" requests aren't anywhere near urgent... yet they feel it's urgent enough to stop me on my company-mandated lunch hour.
From experience there appears to be a significant portion of people who do not believe things are done unless they see them being done.

Another group, containing mostly the same people, do not believe anyone who says they will do something, regardless of past history, therefore it must be done "now!".

Another group, again much the same people, think everything they do or require to be done is important and "now!". Occasionally that is because it actually is. But usually these people are just very bad at organising themselves and cannot cope with the extra variable of you.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
26. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jan 24, 2012, 17:26 DG

Verno wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 14:19:
Sack up man, its fine A save backup is all you need and takes about 3 seconds to do.
Yeah I caved. I'd thought it might be a big download if I wanted to revert but apparently just disable the beta and it'll effectively run another small patch.

There's a performance improvement that's occasionally noticeable without any FPS display, though it ran great before (Ultra at 1600x1080 on a 2500K & ATI9850). Most of the fixes seem to be quests I'm not at yet. Not running any significant mods though folks seem to be saying the bigger mods are getting updates out already.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
20. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jan 24, 2012, 13:15 DG

Whoa, that's some performance improvement.

Still, nope. Not touching this until after a lot of feedback. Not risking 63 hours so far.

Although...

Although...

Although I could just backup my saves, run steam backup and give it a go. Worst happens just opt out of the beta and restore the backups.

News Comments > Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash
21. Re: Splash Damage Plans Big 2012 Splash Jan 24, 2012, 13:06 DG

yuastnav wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:05:
Please tell me you are not serious. TFC/TF2 are nothing like Enemy Territory, I even dare say that ET was rather unique in its gameplay, not only concerning how the maps were designed and how the game mechanics worked but that every map had some background i.e. a small story behind it.
Team Fortress on the other hand never seemed very interesting to me.
TF massively influenced RTCW to which ET is, well somewhere between an offshoot and a sequel. TF2 is more or less an offshoot-sequel to TF.

Folks who played those games can certainly say each of those games have major differences in just about everything. On the other hand, step back a bit and it's also clear these games are the TF genre.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 22, 2012, 16:23 DG

I just can't get anything done in Skyrim. I just had a couple of hours spare time spent in it and literally all I got done was explore Riften.

Still, at least I probably have a bazillion gold worth of crap deposited in Breezehome. When I finally get around to selling that shit Whiterun is going to collapse because my magic infinity chest must have undermined the entire place into a cavern miles deep.

News Comments > AMD Radeon HD 7900 Driver
2. Re: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Driver Jan 21, 2012, 08:22 DG

I've a 6950 and already they're phasing out proper support?  

News Comments > No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday
12. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:32 DG

So Syndicate Original, sweet. Anyone have any ideas on graphics update modding potential? I'm guessing not much. OTOH there's maybe scope for someone to do a rebuild mod (as user can import the copyright stuff from a legit original).

Being waaaaaay optimistic here, but it's a nice thought.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 13:27 DG

I'm from UK and full support for the "blackout". Partly because US internet-related laws affect me but mostly on principle.

I can't say I know what such a blackout will accomplish,
A full-on blackout firmly demonstrates the strength of the views held by the website and communicates the potential implications of the bill. It's extremely unambiguous and unmissable for anyone trying to visit the website that day.

Lots of companies and "important" people like to make strongly-worded statements but they pretty much read as "blah blah blah" to most people. There's always people making strongly worded statements and much of the time it's about something inconsequential or plain BS. A blackout puts your money and your reputation firmly where you're mouth is, it's not just words.

Reddit's a pretty big site and blacking out should get a fair bit of chat on FB, twitter etc but Wikipedia is the real heavy-hitter here. That's a massive site across all demographics, including key voters, and with TV-credibility. And, it's a real resource to it's users. You don't just get people having to find somewhere else to while away a few hours, you've got people worried about a threat to one of their resources.

Will it actually accomplish defeating the bills? Who knows, but at least it's giving it the best shot.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
28. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:01 DG

Didn't buy BF3 due to Origin, won't be buying ME3 due to origin.

Shame, it's been a good series. Though I kept hearing bad-sounding noises about the game so maybe it won't turn out to be much of a loss.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: passwords Jan 14, 2012, 06:17 DG

Odd that they blame Bill Gates then explain how he was the one pushing for good yet practical security (two factor).  

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
11. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 14, 2012, 06:06 DG

I'm at a loss to the point of this blog other than to vent.

The guy basically says that he accepted not being paid overtime, accepted not receiving payslips and accepted breaching the Working Time Directive... All the time until redundancy when it's suddenly not okay.

He then notices he's been overpaid but they all get together in the pub and manage to arrive at a conclusion that their scumbag employer decided to gift them some free money even though they were closing down. It's absurdly unrealistic, it seems obvious they spotted the mistake but felt they deserved the money so between them conjured up a reason to convince themselves it was legit. From the read I can sympathise that they "deserve" it, but that's not the same as actually being due it and the probability of it being clawed back is obvious. He even says their conclusion was the "overriding opinion" which to me hints very strongly that there were at least some voices there saying exactly what it really was.

He also keeps referencing an employment tribunal and legal advice then backs off it. Why? Get shit done instead of pointlessly whining in a blog ffs.

Sure, I'm sympathetic that he's had a scumbag employer and yes they are the villain, but it's giving him too much credit to say he's been extremely naive throughout, it's really childish and the the blog itself reinforces this.

Bear in mind this is the UK where labour laws are very strict and very much more in favour of employees compared to my impressions of the US. The basics and principles of the laws which he says he was not aware of earlier are basic common knowledge and it's most improbable that he would not have been made aware of them through any discussion with family or even random bloke in the pub.

News Comments > BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up
39. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:12 DG

what?

Banning people based on submitted user reports? I don't think so.

Anyone who's ever played multi-player has very probably come across someone being called a cheater and found no reason to believe it. Since you're reading Blues, you're probably an experienced enough gamer that you've probably been accused of cheating on a number of occasions.

What can they do to follow up the accusations? Perhaps look at stats but then why bother with reports, just look up stats. Reporting cheating to a server admin is worthwhile because they can spectate the player on the server.

Either these guys are happy with the ban hammer or it's a placebo button to placate people annoyed by suspected cheating.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 12, 2012, 12:55 DG

Love how the top comment there is (emphasis added)

Chris Thu Dec 08, 2011 08:48 pm PST

How many days in a row are you going to post this same exact article I mean really it's been what 4 days in a row over and over again like you just found out 5 seconds ago it's sensationalism at it's worst. I'm starting to think Yahoo! News is staffed by homophobes or you have some anti-gay biased agenda. Why don't you look for something new to report or has it really been that slow of a news week. Shameless, unprofessional, bullsh*t. Get a life people it's a stupid game.

1676 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo