Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1678 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2012, 17:40 DG

For burgers try venison.

The lamb I'd be thinking about a curry or shepherd's pie.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2012, 17:51 DG

Um, one dead card isn't exactly the scientific method in action. Out of numerous cards from both designers the one card I've had die on me is a 7800GTX. So what?

Generally both designers are good bar the one blip of Nvidia's big whoopsie of a few years back, which mainly affected laptops.

Differences in hardware reliability are between the specific manufacturers, of which there's a range on both sides. Otherwise it's pot luck.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
26. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 12:43 DG

Seems pretty obvious it's not a "console", if it's going to be a platform it's going to run windows or else they lose the catalogue and require the same kind of developer support that MS, Sony and Ninty need. If there's going to be a platform it's going to be a Windows PC with standardised gaming spec. More like Apple hardware than Xbox.

Still more likely it's a plug-in of some kind though. Otherwise they'd need lots of staff, and why else "across a wide range of platforms".

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event
5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Apr 12, 2012, 13:21 DG

I take it all this stuff is MP only?

Yeah, I caved on my "not Origin" thing :/

News Comments > GTA5 in October?
28. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 18:36 DG

Same engine? :/ Maybe things were improved on a decent PC over the 360 (not from what I recall of the commentary around release) but...

What annoyed me about IV was how blurred everything was a very short distance away, like Niko needed glasses.

On top of that the console/engine often felt pushed just beyond it's limits, so you get this laggy feel. Not long after I was playing Burnout Paradise, which is a kind of racing game in an open city but graphics are really sharp with a good view distance and it runs very smoothly at 60fps. Of course there's a lot less for the engine to deal with (no people, for one) but one of the main things I remember about it was how utterly awful the feel of GTA was compared to this.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC
5. Re: Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC Apr 9, 2012, 12:52 DG

Verno wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:48:
It's going to be amusing when people go back to their old library in 10 years and try to play some of these games with a shitload of "day one" type DLC.
Valid point, but what games do you anticipate going back to in 10 years?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 2, 2012, 16:00 DG

Xbox 720 will require an always-on internet connection as an anti-piracy measure.
BS.

Media pre-releases, maybe. Consumer units, nope.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Features
49. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Features Mar 18, 2012, 08:17 DG

Bought the first game a while after release and really enjoyed it.

Occasionally a bit of a grind re-doing areas under different quests (identical but for picking up some item, or whatever) and there's the typical levelling issues for an action-rpg (it's even worse in Skyrim) but overall A++++++ would buy again.

BTW you could turn the cell-shading outlines off using a console command. I preferred them on.

News Comments > Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game"
27. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 18, 2012, 08:02 DG

Skyrim might have missed out due to the way the eligibility works. Basically nominations come in by 3 November and any later releases skip the first round and have to be added by the jury.

I'd guess any games released for Christmas have a degree of disadvantage.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 15:49 DG

I'm going to call BS at this point though it's not inconceivable that they switch to flash media.

They could just sell an SD card in a box, or make a bigger leap to downloads complemented by kiosks which are basically download stations to a USB3 stick. I would guess starting with the former and a gradual progression towards the latter.

At the cost of the kiosks (hardware, space rental and bandwidth) there's a few dollars saved per unit on the drive itself. And a few more dollars per unit average on warranty costs associated with the mechanical drive.

More significantly, it nets them the retailer's margin (I guess 30%?) and ensures the full library of content is available everywhere. And it could kill the used game market. And, they probably fantasise, could kill piracy.

And, if Sony's stuck with optical media, Sony may be reliant on retailers who are already fragile and will be even more so if a huge swathe of the Xbox market is taken away from them. Strategically, there is some scope for nuking their competitor's distribution channel. Of course that also means nuking the main channel for selling consoles and peripherals, and there's going to be an awful lot of retailers pushing Sony and saying bad things about Xbox.

On the technical side it should have significantly faster read speeds than an optical disk, removes capacity constraint, may allow potential for virtual memory and advanced DRM. Oh, and it's quiet.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 7, 2012, 13:50 DG

Why... Why would they do that?

It's idiotic.

"Play Store" sounds at best like a place to buy games. And the icon doesn't even say Google Play so it sounds like some third party crap that the phone company has dumped on your phone.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
55. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:21 DG

eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:59:
[And how exactly is Valve different than MS/EA/Actiblizz/Sony?
They're listed companies whereas Valve is owner-managed.

I could go on about Valve having a relatively customer-focused strategy, listed company quarterly financials and so on, and so on.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
22. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 14:37 DG

kibbled wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 11:44:
I am going to through this out there. Maybe its just a "Steam" Branded PC with some extra functionality that is sold by another company like Gateway or Dell.
Yep.

It's just a PC that looks OK in the livingroom, plugs into a 1080p flatscreen and has a sticker that guarantees games with the same sticker will play okay.

Anything else would be totally insane.

The only leverage Steam has is the distribution network. Any OS other than windows (including Linux or OSX) requires developers to support it and losing Direct-X and so for all intents and purposes it's another console.

Literally all we're looking at is a PC that is a bit less offputting to console gamers, at the likely expense of more games being developed with a hardware cycle in mind (that is, even PC-oriented devs may target the "steam spec").

But yeah, HL3 launching with it is a no-brainer. Either it happens or Gabe has no brains.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 14:09 DG

Far as I can gather W8 is W7 but with reduced memory footprint (not important to gaming rig specs), a UI option for tablets and a few minor bells like better multi-monitor support and being about to mount ISOs without additional software.

So upgrading from W7 appears fairly pointless, but if you're upgrading from XP then might as well go straight to W8.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2012, 15:03 DG

Skyrim 1.4.27 out http://www.bethblog.com/category/skyrim/ no biggies though other than remapping the MS controller and fixing followers sneaking.

Also, it says it's now out of beta but I'm participating and don't think I had it before.

edit: no I'm not, forgot I disabled it. I probably missed this being posted about before then. So, er, yeah, I like flapjacks with dates or sultanas, and someone makes them round here with a bit of ginger, yum. Scotch pancakes beat regular ones IMHO.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2012, 15:08.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
17. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 13:46 DG

Steam records me playing ME2 for 64 hours, which includes one run including 6 of the 7 mission DLC (all but Arrival) and doing about every side mission. It also includes what turned out to be far too much planet scanning since I decided I'd get it out of the way early and I overestimated requirements.

That was just playing for fun and only referring to guide or whatever to make sure I wasn't missing stuff.

Personally, DLC is just another reason to wait a year before buying a ME type game. I never feel any draw to do an adventure type game a second time.

Not that I'll be buying this anyway since it's Origin.

News Comments > Syndicate Solicits Pirates
36. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 06:35 DG

Bhruic wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:52:
Blue says its out, and comments seem to indicate its origin only.

Impulse
Amazon
Gamer's Gate
Direct2Drive

Yup. Definitely Origin only.

*sigh*

Sensing sarcasm, but from what I can see it is indeed Origin only - those websites basically just process the order.

The other's are silent, but the D2D page is clear:
"3rd Party Download Required"
"This title installs and requires EA Origin to play. "

News Comments > Syndicate Solicits Pirates
35. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 06:29 DG

Jerykk wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 02:19:
Innocent wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 02:06:
Compare and contrast with steam... buy something on steam and you end up pausing it because it immediately hogs all your bandwidth. Versus origin which never uses any of your bandwidth because it is not a download immediately service

Uh, you don't have to immediately download any full games on Steam. Just don't click "Next" when prompted to install. Pretty simple, really.
I think he was commending Steam's prompt and fast delivery in a quirky way

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
12. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 09:04 DG

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:19:
Last night they patched in Steam cloud support for savegames. Like that as I have several machines.

^D^
It looks like there's a 50mb limit for Skyrim, which is half that for the other games I have installed (except TF2 which has a gb).

I have 6 manual saves plus the 5 autosaves, which comes in at 118mb on my HDD but Steam Cloud reports 47mb used. Presumably it only backs up the most recent 5 or so saves.

Might want to bear that in mind especially if you have multiple characters on the go.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 15, 2012, 14:35 DG

PHJF wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 20:15:
Because hard disk space is so precious, amiright?
With it saved to an SSD, or with bandwidth caps, maybe

1678 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo