Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
31. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:59 DG

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:36:
So the auction house allows you to buy items in game? For what purpose? So that you can skip finding those items yourself?

I've never played any of the Diablo titles (or any MMO). But this mechanic sounds strange. Would I play Jagged Alliance and go online and purchase the best weapon right at the start of the game?
Yep. Though, gear is levelled so you can only really equip the best gear for your level.

But, at least on the lower levels it totally voids all the in-game gear. Even the best stuff I get dropped is several levels behind me so I'm dumping it on the AH and buy my own gear.

Of course everyone else is doing the same thing so at lower levels the market is flooded. Gear that people pick up is useless to them so they're picking up 10+ items to dump it on the AH for every one thing they buy.

Blizz presumably balanced the game assuming people would have maybe one or two levelled items but due to AH being so cheap everything is levelled rare gear with the desired attributes.

I doesn't help that normal is easy anyway. Despite buying stuff pretty cheap I'm ridiculously overpowered, just tanking bossfights. It got really silly when I hit the level where you get sockets in items to put gems in, because of course both gems and socketed gear are very cheap on the AH so I'm running around with multiple +40 strength or whatever when they were assuming I'd have maybe one or two +4.

To be fair the main balance considerations should rightly be the harder difficulties, but a lot of people (probably me included) will only play this game through once and you don't get to play harder settings until you beat normal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 15:37 DG

I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to suggest the change in the Gunnar-man's behaviour is linked to the change in the household i.e. Mrs Blue being away?

On another note, guess which servers are down AGAIN?! The server status page shows their up but there's an apology of sorts for it in game. Forums suggest it's been >7 hours now...

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
35. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 14:17 DG

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.
Valve changed their policy. Well, I suspect they realised something and then created a policy. I don't think they decided one thing then changed their mind, I think they just hadn't thought of it before.

Basically Valve realised that companies were using Steam to sell games then selling the associated DLC directly, cutting out Steam. Specifically EA had clearly started doing this pretty heavily.

This has obvious implications for Valve - companies could sell the "base" game cheaply on Steam to bring in the crowds while making the real money via DLC. So publisher gets the advantages of selling on Steam but diverting the revenue so they don't pay for it. They might even include the bulk of DLC files in the base game thus Valve is even paying the bandwidth for content they aren't making a cut on.

One thing I'm not sure about was what Valve's new policy was exactly, but my impression at the time was that Valve wanted any DLC to be *available* for purchase via Steam. It did not have to be the only source. This seemed fair enough to me and led me to conclude the villain of the piece was EA wanting to take Steam for a ride.

Crysis 2 is now on Steam not because anyone has changed policy or given in or anything, it's just that since this is the complete edition there is no more DLC so the issue in this case has become irrelevant.

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
41. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 17:26 DG

Hmm, I'm not even done on Act II of Normal yet but I was getting a very strong impression that the blacksmith is a total waste of gold. I blew quite a bit on training, plus lost sales salvaging blues plus the gold to craft random items.

I also initially went heavy on increased magic find, and thought I was doing okay with that.

Then I hit the AH. It makes everything in-game look like a bit of a joke. In any given number of playing hours, it's vastly better and cheaper to just buy on the AH.

Merchants are superfluous to the AH, though I keep looking as occasionally they'll be offering decent stats for cheaper.

The only thing I'm not sure about at this stage is whether to go for high gold find attributes or high magic find - in order to sell the items on the AH. I probably made about 1/3 of my gold income from selling items over the past few days, though this is with something like +50% magic find but +0 gold find. It's also a nuisance to sell on the AH as it times out a lot. Also I check prices and sell at a discount since it's a buyer's market and anyway limited to 10 items. I guess with high gold find I should make about the same but with much less hassle.

The second thing is, does this still work on the higher levels, or does crafting and drops become much more valid?

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
71. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:45 DG

Gridphoenix wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:40:
They censored my post on Battle.net. I complained about the auction house (which ruins my game experience) and they just deleted my post. This never happened to me before. I am really not happy (and I did not use rude language or so....).

I think if companies start using there power to censor things we are getting into real big trouble.

I will stay away from Blizzard from now on...
I'm still kind of weirded out how everyone goes onto official forums for a game nowadays.

Then bewildered that people are surprised when bad things happen to negative posts.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
66. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:36 DG

Fuck me, it's down AGAIN.

Authentication server in EU "Error 75".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 18:14 DG

My smoke alarms are mains-wired with a rechargeable battery back up. Perhaps not worth the expense for a homeowner, but over here they're mandatory for rented properties.  

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Another alternative: Path of Exile May 20, 2012, 11:09 DG

...and the EU servers are down again. [4 hours and counting from time of this edit, i.e. all Sunday afternoon]

Being down is a nuisance, but Blizz really do not handle it very well. That is, they don't manage it at all.

It says "maintenance", soooooo was it planned? Can't they give some kind of advance notice? Either way, can't they give some kind of ETA? I appreciate fixing servers is as much art as science, but whether their best guess is 1 hour or 4 hours makes a big difference to what I decide to do about it.

Oh, and I try to log in to US servers, my char isn't there.

Thread on the EU forums was locked at >8,800 posts in 3 hours.

edit: lol @ server status app

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 13:07.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 06:42 DG

heroin wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:27:
I am enjoying D3 immensely, right now. Towards the end of ACT 2 things really begin to shine.
Glad to read that. Having only just got past the Skeleton King I was finding it a little humdrum. I got the blacksmith now which has opened up a little depth, but it still seems quite shallow.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 16:34 DG

Bit harsh Cutter? There's a lot of gamers out there who don't read any gaming news - if I hadn't developed the Bluesnews habit a long time ago I probably wouldn't either.

With any other consumer product this stuff just isn't normal at all. It's really not unreasonable for people to simply expect things they buy to work.

That said, yeah OK a lot of whining is really ridiculous, but then shit floats to the top on the interwebs. For every ridiculous rant there's a hundred other folk who are annoyed to a rational extent.

People are relatively tolerant when it happens to a multiplayer game, because connectivity and so on is inherent. It's not to singleplayer, where Blizz decided to make it reliant on connectivity, introducing scope for the problems.

News Comments > DayZ Modification for Arma II
64. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 15:02 DG

Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:18:
It depends on how its setup.
Er, yeah, thanks for the info though my description was how Amazon used to do it back in the day when I had an "Amazon Associate" account.

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
15. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 17, 2012, 13:33 DG

Verno wrote on May 17, 2012, 12:30:
I don't really want either but CEs have always been like this so I don't see the big deal.
It's the in-game content that annoys me.

It just implies a different gaming experience.

The starting loot is bad enough, but at least it's just an early-game thing and isn't pervasive. The Vault Hunter's Relic is something else. The constant carrot-on-a-stick mechanic is almost endemic in gaming now, whether it's loot, perks, levelling, ranking, whatever. Cheap fast-food it may be, but it's a substantial part of the game.

Now every crappy crate comes with a thought maybe there'd have been something tasty if I'd had the perk. Maybe the good weapon I do find would have been that bit better with the perk.

It's a shameless cash-in, not on added value but on the perception of value being taken away otherwise.

62. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 13:09 DG

Saw a vid of this the other day on Reddit, looked exactly like someone trying to do something I'd been hoping for a while. I'd also been thinking it did look like it needed melee though.

But 25 on steam for the game, with no Amazon sale over here. Not willing to risk the cash on an alpha mod that presumably requires rather a lot of resources to power servers despite no income. And all of that on a BIS game - a dev I generally associate with games as buggy as they are ambitious.

61. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 17, 2012, 13:03 DG

Dev wrote on May 17, 2012, 08:19:
And I'd rather give blue referral if he has amazon referrals, than giving that other game site a referral.
Hmm, last I knew for a referral to give credit you had to use the coded URL and have the referrer page (told to their website by your browser) be from the web site registered for that referrer and that web site had to have something buried in it so that Amazon could confirm the referrer-account was authorised by that website.

Has that changed or did it never really work?

No complaints from me about any ideas of Blue having a referrer. Though I'd prefer if he avoided using the system certain other sites have which automatically change all posted urls, even by forum users, into referrer ones. Admittedly I mostly hate that because my adblock kills it (US site anyway so irrelevant to UK'er like me) and the link is difficult to deconstruct.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 12:42 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 15, 2012, 12:21:
The game launched 18hrs ago in the UK and the servers are still too busy to connect to. Blizzard really screwed the pooch with this one. Very unimpressed.
Cheers for posting that, I nearly broke and paid the exorbitant 45 to buy from Blizzard but F that if it's still difficult logging in anyway. edit: heh, feel the wrath on metacritic.

I even traipsed about town looking to buy retail but they've all sold out. Only the biggest HMV and the one remaining GAME store have so much as a token shelf for PC games. This is in the capital of Scotland...

Sounds worthy of the 32 on Amazon though so I should have it for the weekend edit2: maybe not, both Amazon uk and Play are out of stock, not seen that for a while. Annoyed at the Blizz price though. Near 50% premium for bandwidth even though they don't need to pay for making a physical disk, packaging, distribution and the retailer's margin? AND the download doesn't come with the guest passes to give away.

'course, if anyone has an EU guest pass going spare...

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 12:50.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
78. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 10:10 DG

Anyone willing to give an early rating yet? Bit wary there's not many calls of awesome anywhere, and just tons of complains about not being able to get in.

I happen to have the day off so I'm getting tempted to just grab the digital download, but it's way more expensive ($72 vs $53 here in UK) than getting a physical copy shipped. Plus after today I won't have time to play until the weekend when a mail-order copy should get here, and only the physical copies come with starter keys.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
64. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 07:14 DG

So, any guest passes going spare?

edit: EU here

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 09:23.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 08:09 DG

Rigs wrote on May 13, 2012, 02:28:
I've had a Samsung ML-2010 black laser
Yeah good printer except it jams. Best to have the paper tray no more than half full and it's fussy about the paper put in it.

I'm still using the toner that came with it - they actually give (or did back when I bought it) a full toner, whereas most places just give you a token amount.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
17. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 16:41 DG

I don't get it. On the disk, not on the disk, what's the difference where the bytes are stored?

I dislike DLC in principle because:
- I am concerned that content that otherwise would have been included with the game is being hived off for additional charge;
- Game design is being compromised in order to facilitate selling DLC;
- I dislike this "nickel and dime" approach.

On-disk DLC doesn't prove any of the above occurred. All it proves is that some of the development took place before the game went gold. So what?

I can only guess the outraged people don't have jobs. The way it works is marketing make a best-guess that a game will sell say $10m and the DLC say $1m so each is given a budget of say $7m and $0.7m respectively. If there was no DLC, the game budget is still $7m. What relevance is it whether the additional $0.7m is spent before or after release?

If you think that the time of development is somehow the important thing that determines "game" vs. "DLC", well it isn't - it's cost. If time was all that mattered it'd be free.

As for people annoyed that the "DLC" isn't actually downloaded... You're annoyed that they saved you both some bandwidth? Really?

There's plenty not to like about either the concept or the execution of DLC, but whether it comes on the disk or a subsequent download is totally irrelevant.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Open SSID's (wifi) May 5, 2012, 07:09 DG

Er, what?

Every router I've had for many years now has come with a unique password. Definately the Netgear I bought myself in the early 2000's and the couple I've been given by my ISP since then. Same for all the ones at friends' houses etc.

Is that just a UK thing then? Ours all come with a generated password and a sticker on the base of the unit to remind you what it is.

The dearth of open wifi is actually getting to be a nuisance here. Not so long ago most bars, coffeeshops etc would have free wifi (albeit some giving out the day's password with a purchase) but now they're all into some scheme. It's either BT Openzone, which you can get via a BT broadband subs or certain cellphone contracts, or a couple of other commercial schemes. The other day I was a stone's throw from half a dozen pubs and not one had open wifi.

Just seems daft to me. The cost even for a business line must be negligible so why not provide that service? I can't imagine the revenue for taking part in the schemes can be anything other than utterly trivial.

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo