Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1677 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
80. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 10:44 DG

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if the level of CC fraud is so bad they've had warnings that they could be cut off by the payment processors?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
78. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 10:34 DG

LMFAO.

What can they be thinking at Blizz HQ? I mean, this must have obtained approval from several people and not had that much dissent from the ranks either.

It's total lunacy, if I was their landlord I'd seriously be considering sending someone out to check for some kind of chemical leak into the aircon or water. Wait, they've been developing this game forever right? Is it possible they have lead plumbing?

News Comments > EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire
56. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 21, 2012, 08:53 DG

Completed nightmare yesterday. A more fun than normal but still a bit boring. Is it normal to not get a single rare from bosses the entire playthrough? Getting one from elite packs but not from bosses.

Some might remember me asking about my problems with elites. Literally not had a problem since posting, not sure what happened there though I did up my HP a bit which just gives that margin for a potion or more usually to get that kill and a health orb.

That said I have my suspicions the sudden massive HP loss is due to lag - playing during the day I'm teleporting quite a lot and seeing a half second delay between doing an attack and seeing it on screen. The HP still goes down quite fast but doesn't just disappear. I'm wondering if when I was playing in the evenings it just wasn't getting half of my commands, and I wasn't seeing damage being done until too late. Surprising though on a 20mb connection which usually gets ~20 ping on TF2.

Also I got a bit lucky with the AH and the patch. Logged in and what was now easily the best weapon on the AH for my level was buyout at 30k (didn't have ASI so prior to the patch it was well down the list). Gave my enchantress my old weap (also now pretty good as it didn't rely on ASI, and actually had decent int stat) and she's pretty effective now. Yesterday I'd done a fair bit of damage to an elite pack but had to run away and regen, came back and she'd finished them all off, clever girl.

Still looking for some depth to this game though. It doesn't feel like an RPG, it's just going through it collecting gold and buying better shit on the AH. Farmville has a lot more depth.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 19, 2012, 15:51 DG

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:30:
In the UK we have to wait another two days.
They just lost a sale due to that. I'm off work this week, saw the post and thought "thank you very much", but nope.

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
28. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 07:37 DG

You know MS might have actually done something well when it's being ignored on Slashdot, LOL.

One glance at the pic and I stunned myself by thinking I might actually have a look and consider buying that. That keyboard in the detachable cover (it's attached by magnets) is a big win.

They probably screwed up in oh so many ways and I'd probably be looking for someone putting Android or whatever on it, but first impression is waaaaaay better than the waste of space I was expecting.

News Comments > On BF3 Cheating
17. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 14:40 DG

Thing that surprises me is the cheat abilities. Half that shit shouldn't even be possible - evidently the game is doing stuff client-side that any game with a half-assed consideration of security has done on the server.

• uberdamage - Why is the client able to determine damage?

• autospot - why does the client even KNOW where people are in order to spot them? Shit, no wonder the BF games are so laggy, every client knows everything about every other client that it has no need to know about!

• massmurder - tell me this is some server exploit? Such weak sever code is bad enough, but if it's all in the ability of a client that's a total joke of a developer.

• The response by the dev is a total joke as well. The best way to combat cheating is to look at stats? Wipe first then ban for second offence? They're only even trying to get the most flagrant to buy a second copy.

The cheaters find a way to hack the game. DICE applies a fix. The cheaters find a new exploit.
    Well no shit when you're taking an approach where the client has all kinds of info it doesn't need and is making the determinations that should be done on the server.

This is really confirming my suspicions about the quality of DICE development after my foray into the BF series with BF2142. They are totally and utterly shit.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
    19. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 06:15 DG

Dev wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 05:11:
    they are shooting for 10 years for the 720 cycle? Longer than the 360 is looking to be right now?
    360 lifecycle will be ~10 years. It's 7 in a few months, maybe 8 before 720 released, and it'll survive a couple of years after that.

Sure once 720 comes out the early adopters will shift over, but they'll still be doing good sales on the 360. Those sales are all super profitable too, because they've paid off the R&D costs and aren't making a gross loss on the hardware.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
    9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2012, 19:42 DG

Damn, read the whole article then saw Dev could have saved me the bother

Bear in mind with the specs that consoles are a lot more efficient with CPU, GPU and RAM. The 360 only has 512mb.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found?
    11. Re: Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found? Jun 16, 2012, 19:22 DG

What's "IAS"?

edit: increased attack speed modifier

TBF it was absurdly OP compared to other buffs, though so much so that it really should have made it to release. Also, they might want to consider if they need to counteract nerfs by buffing other, uh, buffs.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2012, 19:28.

News Comments > Valve's Economist
    13. Re: Valve's Economist Jun 16, 2012, 06:21 DG

LittleMe wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 00:43:
    So is he a Keynesian or Austrian economist?
    I suspect being able to experiment with this kind of thing is what attracted him to the job. The real world has a mass of external variables and other noise, this is an extraordinary opportunity for lab experimentation.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
    26. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes Jun 14, 2012, 14:50 DG

Only got halfway through Nightmare due to work pressures but if there's one thing annoying me it's the variability in difficulty.

Generally it's very easy, but with the very occasional near impossibility. I mean, 90% of the time progressing is boring and I don't go below 75% HP, even tanking bosses. Then there's the elites.

No, it's not the elites per se. It's how they can go from being a fun battle that requires a bit of care to instant death with no opportunity to manage the situation (or should I say "play").

I mean, I'm fighting something and it's got an observable behaviour and pattern, they out of nowhere a switch is flipped and every single one of them in unison turns on the fire chains, poison pool/fire pit (or whatever they are) and those spinning laser things. All at once.

I've got into the habit of maintaining high health, never getting trapped in the middle of them (not so easy as a Barb), looking for the first sign of the shit-storm and running away. But, quite often the other thing they throw in at the same time is something that prevents you getting away like that fire-jail type thing or the freeze bomb things.

Given full HP is being wiped out in 1-2 seconds in the shit storm, is there anything at all I can do about this? I read about upping resistance, but (for the gear available at this level) even a slight increase requires a hell of a lot of sacrifice. I mean, +100 points of intelligence results in +10 resistance points which in turn adds about 3 percentage points to damage reduction. To get +100 int, I'd need to give up a similarly levelled strength or damage attribute, which would result in ~10% dps.

In other words, sacrifice ~10% dps (plus some armour maybe) in order to resist 3% of damage received?

Am I missing something? Like why does +100 int = +10 resistance = 3% damage reduction? With everything else there's a multiplier effect, not a divisor. Something missed in my build?

Only thing I can think of is using that spear power to pull each out of the pack and take them one by one? Might give that a go though means sacrificing a good power.

Oh yeah and my favourite from the other day, managed to trip two elite packs, one appeared in the upper right corner of the screen while another in the upper left. 6 bastards chasing me, carpet bombing ordinance all over my tracks.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2012, 14:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    10. Re: Wyoming Jun 12, 2012, 14:40 DG

The Portal video had excellent effects, but one thing always bothers me about these Portal videos.

They all do the perpetual falling thing. It always ends safely.

Sure, videos are entertainment, but when set in a context of Portal physics in "real life" there has to be a nod towards physics in real life.

Terminal velocity is about 120mph when a skydiver takes maximum resistance (i.e. belly down), and it's reached in about 15 seconds. Going feet-first, all tucked in to avoid losing limbs on the edge of the portal, the speed could be getting on for 200mph.

True, the upward motion should slow him until he reaches 0 mph at the peak. So we'd have to consider just the subsequent falling back.

Even if we're to assume the height reached is correct when the exit portal is moved to the back yard, he free-falls after that for ~5 seconds, so assuming a belly-fall shouldn't he be going around 85mph when he falls back into it, and not much less than that when he goes splat onto the ground? Though maybe he'd already be dead from the instant change in direction.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
    24. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 15:59 DG

Odd move to be able to sell damaged items and get a free repair on the AH - when combined with the forthcoming dramatic increase in repair costs?

Only thing I can think of is that they want to encourage people to use something for a level or so then sell it on?

Based on my one play through I felt the AH was OP due to floods of gear on there, shouldn't this move exacerbate that?

Not sure I'll have a second play through this game. I found the game pretty shallow in all respects. "Level design", for want of a better description, was very meh. The whole loot mechanic was totally lost to the AH. I sense a lot of excellent backstory, but the actual story in the game was meh. Combat was really meh, though I'll put that down to playing Barb on normal difficulty.

OK it was about worth my time & money, but I'm not itching for another play through or anything.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event
    5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Jun 7, 2012, 15:35 DG

I quite enjoyed the MP as a brief distraction, though it had no staying power once I'd beaten the game.

The main annoyance was the unlocks being random, and the frequent disconnects.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
    31. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 13:59 DG

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:36:
    So the auction house allows you to buy items in game? For what purpose? So that you can skip finding those items yourself?

I've never played any of the Diablo titles (or any MMO). But this mechanic sounds strange. Would I play Jagged Alliance and go online and purchase the best weapon right at the start of the game?
    Yep. Though, gear is levelled so you can only really equip the best gear for your level.

But, at least on the lower levels it totally voids all the in-game gear. Even the best stuff I get dropped is several levels behind me so I'm dumping it on the AH and buy my own gear.

Of course everyone else is doing the same thing so at lower levels the market is flooded. Gear that people pick up is useless to them so they're picking up 10+ items to dump it on the AH for every one thing they buy.

Blizz presumably balanced the game assuming people would have maybe one or two levelled items but due to AH being so cheap everything is levelled rare gear with the desired attributes.

I doesn't help that normal is easy anyway. Despite buying stuff pretty cheap I'm ridiculously overpowered, just tanking bossfights. It got really silly when I hit the level where you get sockets in items to put gems in, because of course both gems and socketed gear are very cheap on the AH so I'm running around with multiple +40 strength or whatever when they were assuming I'd have maybe one or two +4.

To be fair the main balance considerations should rightly be the harder difficulties, but a lot of people (probably me included) will only play this game through once and you don't get to play harder settings until you beat normal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    27. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 15:37 DG

I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to suggest the change in the Gunnar-man's behaviour is linked to the change in the household i.e. Mrs Blue being away?

On another note, guess which servers are down AGAIN?! The server status page shows their up but there's an apology of sorts for it in game. Forums suggest it's been >7 hours now...

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
    35. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 14:17 DG

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
    Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.
    Valve changed their policy. Well, I suspect they realised something and then created a policy. I don't think they decided one thing then changed their mind, I think they just hadn't thought of it before.

Basically Valve realised that companies were using Steam to sell games then selling the associated DLC directly, cutting out Steam. Specifically EA had clearly started doing this pretty heavily.

This has obvious implications for Valve - companies could sell the "base" game cheaply on Steam to bring in the crowds while making the real money via DLC. So publisher gets the advantages of selling on Steam but diverting the revenue so they don't pay for it. They might even include the bulk of DLC files in the base game thus Valve is even paying the bandwidth for content they aren't making a cut on.

One thing I'm not sure about was what Valve's new policy was exactly, but my impression at the time was that Valve wanted any DLC to be *available* for purchase via Steam. It did not have to be the only source. This seemed fair enough to me and led me to conclude the villain of the piece was EA wanting to take Steam for a ride.

Crysis 2 is now on Steam not because anyone has changed policy or given in or anything, it's just that since this is the complete edition there is no more DLC so the issue in this case has become irrelevant.

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
    41. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 17:26 DG

Hmm, I'm not even done on Act II of Normal yet but I was getting a very strong impression that the blacksmith is a total waste of gold. I blew quite a bit on training, plus lost sales salvaging blues plus the gold to craft random items.

I also initially went heavy on increased magic find, and thought I was doing okay with that.

Then I hit the AH. It makes everything in-game look like a bit of a joke. In any given number of playing hours, it's vastly better and cheaper to just buy on the AH.

Merchants are superfluous to the AH, though I keep looking as occasionally they'll be offering decent stats for cheaper.

The only thing I'm not sure about at this stage is whether to go for high gold find attributes or high magic find - in order to sell the items on the AH. I probably made about 1/3 of my gold income from selling items over the past few days, though this is with something like +50% magic find but +0 gold find. It's also a nuisance to sell on the AH as it times out a lot. Also I check prices and sell at a discount since it's a buyer's market and anyway limited to 10 items. I guess with high gold find I should make about the same but with much less hassle.

The second thing is, does this still work on the higher levels, or does crafting and drops become much more valid?

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
    71. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:45 DG

Gridphoenix wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:40:
    They censored my post on Battle.net. I complained about the auction house (which ruins my game experience) and they just deleted my post. This never happened to me before. I am really not happy (and I did not use rude language or so....).

I think if companies start using there power to censor things we are getting into real big trouble.

I will stay away from Blizzard from now on...
    I'm still kind of weirded out how everyone goes onto official forums for a game nowadays.

Then bewildered that people are surprised when bad things happen to negative posts.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
    66. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:36 DG

Fuck me, it's down AGAIN.

Authentication server in EU "Error 75".

1677 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 10.
    < Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo