Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 15:09 DG

That'd move it into contention just as a BR movie player.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
9. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 15:41 DG

Far Cry 2 on the flash sale, not a great game but enjoyable and worth that money.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
23. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 15:37 DG

Yeah started off with a bit too much "training mode", and did have the odd sparse bits particularly in act 1, but got better and had plenty good bits, some of which I repeated just for fun + looting.

Personally I thought most of the DLC good value, though a bit strange as some clearly meant for mid-game content so very easy if you'd completed the game.

Waiting to buy the "complete" pack for cheaper and more significantly, with the DLC ready, is probably a good move but I'm looking forward to this so pre-ordered.

News Comments > On Sale
54. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 05:50 DG

Damn I'd have jumped on a Witcher 2 flash sale but I guess that happened in the early hours over here.

Grabbed LA Noire though, and if Buy Legend of Grimrock wins the flash sale I might pick it up for a fiver.

Nealy went for Anno 2070, some great comments and I think I could do with that kind of game soon, but talk of the DRM put me right off.

Nothing much really biting me though and I can't really think of any games I even want really except Civ V Gods & Kings which is too new for big discount. Otherwise it's DayZ, but I have a feeling those guys are either enjoying the wads of cash that mod is throwing their way or starting to wonder how they'll get away with turning it into a retail game if so many people have bought ArmaII for it already...

TBH I don't know why I even buy these sales. If I wanted a game I'd have bought it already, my wallet isn't particularly fat but my time is very thin. I still have games unplayed from previous sales - and I don't remember buying anything last year...

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 05:58.

News Comments > F1 Race Stars for PCs Too
5. Re: F1 Race Stars for PCs Too Jul 15, 2012, 05:37 DG

I'm not seeing why they've paid an F1 licence for this, clearly bears no relation to F1 other than the likeness of the drivers.

Maybe F1 paid Codemasters in an effort to get more kids into F1. Doubt it, but in my mind actually a more logical business move.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:21 DG

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
+1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
149. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 14:15 DG

Yes they're giving the daily deals a big overlap this year.

Glad / wallet sad because in the past I've been afk for a day and missed stuff.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:06 DG

Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:37:
Actually sold for about $16m in all.
Read a few articles from Techcrunch now that have left me thinking they're pretty financially savvy, relative to most non-business sites anyway (and even a few of those tbh).

Well, either that or they're checking things instead of just coming across some factoid and posting it on the assumption that it's the whole story...

er anyway, ty for link

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:00 DG

Bodolza wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:32:
Meanwhile, Reddit, which could really use an interface re-haul, seems to be gaining in popularity.
obligatory Reddit Enhancement Suite FTW plug...

I'm not feeling any need for a redesign since using that. No major changes, everything's just about the same but better.

Reddit's still okay but it has gone way downhill. Arguably about since that time Digg were having problems and loads of their users went over, but probably more fair to say it's just due to the expanding userbase.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 14:07.

72. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 17:46 DG

Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:34:
Shogun 2 was a maybe until I drilled down and realized how much stuff you don't get for that $7.50 including the most recent expansion.

If you are a fan of the Total War style or the Feudal Japan time period, I can virtually guarantee that will be the best $7.50 you have ever spent on a game. The DLC is largely filler stuff - for $7.50 you are getting a complete, engrossing, and gorgeous strategy game that you can and will play for dozens of hours.

Then there's the Shogun 2 Darthmod, which improves virtually every weakness the original game had, most notably the AI.
Does Shogun 2 play like the first Shogun, i.e. really good fun and not overburdened with crap like Rome? They seemed to be going downhill with every iteration of that game - on the strategy map anyway, they did seem to be getting better with the battles.

I gave up on the series with Rome, which was decent for battles but the strategy was a tortured experience (even though, or perhaps because, I like the civ games).

71. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 17:37 DG

sauron wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:49:
Anyone think Skyrim will go below $39.99? Been looking forward to it for ages but not at $59.99. It's already 33% off.
it's a bargain at full price, IMHO. But as always with the sale, but on a daily deal or buy on the last day.

As for these badges, I haven't even achieved
Launch any game from your games list in the Steam Client.
ooohhhh kaaaay...

And yeah 20 is more than I'm willing to pay just to try DayZ mod.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Rewards Borderlands 1 Vets
14. Re: Borderlands 2 Rewards Borderlands 1 Vets Jul 7, 2012, 16:19 DG

Borderlands keeps saves in the My Docs folder.

If you're going to back up anything, surely...

Anyway, despite being a Borderlands 1 owner, I'm glad this at least is trivial customisation extras. I hate all this "bonus" content (i.e. stuff removed for everyone else) only for people who preorder (yeah I see they have that too), or even worse only if they buy at some special store.

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
15. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 13:54 DG

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 11:18:
I'll be curious if this is enforced, or something digital services can simply get around by adding something to their EULA, along the lines of "if you use this service, you agree not to resell your games".
No, for starters the ruling means there'd be no "damages" for the publisher to sue for. For seconds, in the EU, standard form contracts with consumers are considered non-negotiated (i.e. there's almost an assumption that it wasn't even read) and basically anything that is not reasonably expected is usually void.

They comment as such in the quote -
therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.
However, bear in mind there can be a service element to a digitally acquired game. That's a different relationship and non-transferability is likely a lot more defensible.

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
85. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 2, 2012, 13:51 DG

eunichron wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 17:53:
[lots of stuff]
Cheers, I don't go around on D3 forums or anything so hard to see what the base line is meant to be.

I was thinking I had half-decent gear (for the earliest entry-level into Inferno) but lacking in skillz, but those stats are way above mine, yeah I'm Barb. If I lose the gold find stuff I'm at, before powers:
8.3k dmg
25k HP
420/sec regen life
5.6% life steal
19% block chance
23% dodge chance
66% dmg reduction (armour)
~260 average resistances

Trouble is, trying to nudge those stats up on the AH costs insane gold. Even gear with lesser affixes at lvl60 costs 5x as much as my lvl56-58 stuff. To get real gear it's in the millions.

I only have 1.3m gold and sack loads of loot that isn't great so may or may not sell at all on the AH.

FWIW, putting back on the high GF gear my gold find on Hell goes to about 185% with 5 nephalem valour and it was definitely bringing in a ton more than I can do on Inferno. The basic gold drop doesn't seem to be noticeably higher in the early parts of Inferno yet in Inferno it's unrealistic to be able to get that nephalem stack going, and in Hell I can rip through everything in half the time and not die.

I'm thinking that whilst going for gold worked better than magic find up to lvl60, in the last bit of Hell the nephalem valour kicked in and suddenly rares drop like candy. Plus at these prices one decent Inferno drop would obliterate the gold found in the time?

My guess at this point is I'd probably have to farm Hell gold for a bit in order to make entry-level into Inferno, where I switch to farming for rares.

But I'm not sure I can be bothered coming home from work (which is really heavy-going at the moment) and doing that, and sure as shit I'm not going to hit the RMAH.

edit: also I think lag is a problem as yesterday I couldn't even kill a goblin. I had him down to a sliver of health then he ran off, stopped again, and even though I was mashing away at him, he opened his portal and buggered off.

59. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 17:34 DG

Started Inferno today.

Fuck.

I actually got owned by a normal mob. I hadn't figured on needing to use powers on a regular mob. I got through a few champions and two elite packs, but I wasn't expecting to have to use powers on regular mobs.

They die okay enough, I mean, on Hell my enchantress was one-shotting them and now barely scratches them, but they go down in 3-4 swings and she's overdue for an upgrade.

But damn, even a little scrape from a zombie thing takes a chunk of health off. Must be at least 2000hp a scratch? A mob that on Hell couldn't take down HP faster than I could regen it even without the battle cry, now has me running away even with battle cry. TBF maybe I overdid the resistances thing, hence being able to deal with the magic the elites are throwing around whilst getting wasted on physical damage.

Maybe if I farm Hell for a while I could make enough gold to gear up. I guess need to do Hell because so far in Inferno the gold drop doesn't seem to be any better, and a *lot* worse if I can't get nehalem valour. Actually maybe the +115% gold find is another thing I'll have to sacrifice...

But, nope. I work hard enough at work and farming feels like more work, only less satisfying and unpaid. Why the fuck would I do that? Are these guys doing massive amounts of farming in need of a job or what? And no, I'm not going to buy off the RMAH because that's not gaming entertainment either - and it's certainly not good value.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 1, 2012, 08:26 DG

15 for ARMA II, still too much just to try out the Day-Z mod.  

39. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jul 1, 2012, 08:24 DG

jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 05:44:
How has it destroyed the game? I voted with my wallet and didn't buy this (will play TL2 instead), so I'm wondering. If you don't spend actual money will you be way underpowered?
Hmm, I only hit lvl 60 this week and beat Hell (2nd hardest, excluding Hardcore mode) last night without much problem. There was only a brief period throughout that I had problems and I'm now sure that was lag. Only using the gold AH.

Inferno may be another story. There's a huge leap in prices on the gold AH for inferno-quality items.

But probably the real issue is how the RMAH encourages bots, and the response from Blizz has basically been to nerf players' grinding. Diablo players expect to need to do a lot of grinding to beat Inferno. When they increased the repair costs it was a bit of a joke, though they've since halved them and increased the loot drop tables so it's not as bad as when the brouhaha kicked off.

That and the relatively ignored issue that crafting is too expensive, partially because the rolls aren't very good and partially because you can't point the affixes towards what you want, so it's random.

News Comments > Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo
17. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 17:45 DG

The whole spearmen occasionally defeating tanks is debated to death on civ fan forums all the time.

Main thing is really it's just an avatar of a low-tech, cheap military unit against a high-tech high-resource one. I mean, if you're going to say it's the same spearman you created 2,000 years ago... While we're at it, the tank unit is maybe 4 tanks while it'll be 100 spearmen or whatever.

Sure they could probably change the graphic more as the eras progress and turn it into guys with pistols and molotovs or whatever, but then it'd be harder to keep track of whats going on.

Regardless, yeah a spearman could take out a tank. Tanks are crap at unconventional warfare. Hide up a tree, drop down, open hatch and stab everyone inside. Or dig a pit trap. We lost tanks to civilians with molotovs in Iraq. Shit, we lose tanks just moving them around because they fall apart.

There was a point in Civ IV when it was clearly happening too frequently, but it should always be possible for a spearman to defeat a tank.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 17:19 DG

eunichron wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:25:
An aside, whatever happened to hardware roundup reviews? You know, when reviewers would get 10+ pieces of the same hardware from different vendors and pit them against each other to find out which was the best bang for the buck, highest performing, most stable, what have you. They seem to be non-existent these days.
Because they're all exactly the same chips. They're often all the same PCB also, especially at launch. Not sure on the position now, but years ago Sapphire used to be the one actually making a huge chunk of all cards.

Most of those that are not the same PCB, they're all compliant with the AMD/Nvidia spec, so they're effectively identical.

Usually it's a few months down the line, which is when the weird coolers start coming out, that the cards actually have differences in PCB design. Even that's not really significant as all still in spec.

The only real difference is how good they are at soldering chips onto PCB, which affects reliability rather than performance. Otherwise it's down to the custom coolers. Oh and warranty.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2012, 15:15 DG

Make the call - most folk are quick to voice dissatisfaction, few to give praise.

On Diablo 3, is it just down to me getting into the late 50's level or has the AH (EU here) gone strange? I'd never paid more than 50k for an item and suddenly it's hundreds of thousands for trivial stuff like an enchantress focus. And the prices are all over the place, something goes for maybe 250k then something slightly better is into the millions.

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo