Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Info Incoming
24. Re: Diablo III Patch Info Incoming Aug 9, 2012, 17:39 DG

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 14:30:
Elessar wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:22:
There's one thing I want to see fixed.

-Drops no longer suck, therefore no longer forcing you into our shitty moneygrab Auction House allowing you to actually have fun playing the game.

THIS. So my main is a 40'ish Wizard in Act 2 on Nightmare and was having a hell of a time dealing out damage. Someone suggested going to the AH and getting the biggest DPS weapon you can afford. So from a 80'ish DPS to a 150 DPS weapon made a ton of difference. But I have tons of freaking INT to boost damage, what exactly is getting boosted damage wise?
The drop system basically gives you items for characters a few levels below you. So you need a few good drops sold on the AH (plus your gold find) in order to buy one item for your level...

I'm not sure it's at all a realistic prospect to get through Hell without the AH. Well maybe if you farm and get lucky, but with the AH you don't need to farm at all until Inferno (I didn't anyway, possible the AH market has changed since then).

For wizard your primary stat is INT. It acts as a multiplier on your weapon damage - yeah even your spells are based on the weapon damage.

To get far into the game you need to have a decent grasp of the mechanics. There's a shortish guide at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1145671-Diablo-3-Stat-Mechanics or a longer but better one at http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html . The specifics are pretty complicated but do finish Nightmare you can get by just looking at the main inventory screen (i.e. DPS and VIT) plus whether toolips on items are green or red. For Hell, you shouldn't need to be doing any math, you just need a basic grasp of how it works, and start looking at the detailed inventory tab.

But fairly early on in Inferno you'll probably be using a spreadsheet e.g. http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/uzl99/ehp_dps_spreadsheet/ and thinking in terms of EHP.

Note one thing missing from most of the guides and spreadsheets is life regen & life steal. This might seem straightforward but bear in mind that 1hp is worth a lot more to a character with very high damage reduction. Therefore the best route to EHP is through high damage reduction. Oh and apparently skill runes can impact the proc rates, so I'm finding out my Barb skills picked for life steal actually lower the proc rate of life on hit from the weapon affix, so the net hp gained from the hit is well below what it would appear from the tooltip.

Similarly for DPS, I always prefer attack speed, base damage, crit chance then crit damage. This affects both the actual damage dealt plus life on hit or life steal considerations.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Info Incoming
12. Re: Diablo III Patch Info Incoming Aug 9, 2012, 13:12 DG

The problem with pre-announcements of pre-announcements of a forthcoming patch, especially this one, is:

• if it's a buff patch, why bother farming now when it's going to be easier later.

• If it's a nerf patch, why bother farming now when not going to be playing this game later.

• In either case, why buy anything on the AH with no idea how it'll pan out after the patch.
  •  

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
    23. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 14:03 DG

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:38:
    It'll be interesting to see this game in a polished state and whether or not the current bugs are associated with being in alpha or from the Real Virtuality 3 engine.

I've given the mod all I can but I can only tolerate the 'quirks' of this game for so long...
    It's based on a Bohemia engine. They're great for keeping on updating forever, but then they always need to. Sure it'll get better, but I doubt it'll ever get close to a state comparable to "polished".

Bohemia games are always ridiculously ambitious and it's a case of whether you're willing to tolerate the inevitable bugginess for that. I'm not sure whether Bohemia coders are themselves bad, but the main reason why their games are so buggy is that their game design is much more ambitious than most games, so there's inherently more scope for bugs.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2012, 13:51 DG

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:00:
    Amazing isn't it how so many companies claim to be fixated on customer satisfaction, and yet customer support is almost always annoying and frequently useless.
    TBF customers usually talk about the importance of service, but actually buy whatever is cheapest. Then complain about the service but either stick with it, or move to the next cheapest.

People generally do not pay for service and do not like paying for a person's time either. Happens with every industry: mechanics always throw a huge premium onto parts. That optician bill saying $200 glasses + $50 eyetest is really $50 frames + $200 eye test & fitting. Time is very expensive, for whatever the wage of the person you deal with the cost is double to triple that due to supervision, training, overheads etc.

(not a dig at Blue, no idea what he's buying, could well be the super premium business package before I know)

1. Company of Heroes Aug 4, 2012, 15:29 DG

Finally got around to installing Company of Heroes on Steam. What's with having to create a Relic account and login? Even before getting to options menu.

Anyone know if this is necessary and what's the point? I googled and some folks say you can disconnect from net so I could try firewall it out, but would I be missing anything?

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Change Plans
    12. Re: Diablo III Auction House Change Plans Aug 3, 2012, 14:10 DG

"Simple oversights", subtly put.

Other obvious ones are sorting by the columns e.g. time to expire. How about the ability to put items in a watch-list and compare them? Why does it compare to equipped items when doing some things, but not others?

And how about "OR" rules for the searches like "life per sec OR life on hit".

AH is just about stuffed now anyway. There's rampant inflation on uber items while sellers are trying to start bidding on entry-level Inferno at millions of gold, but nobody is buying because people either want uber gear or don't have millions. Not that there's many people playing especially at entry level. I'm not even confident the uber gear is selling, unless the bidding starts low.

No, I don't have any idea why I'm still trying to play this game. I can make progress in Act II now but only in low MF/GF gear so the gear I find is nearly all shit and nobody is buying the entry level stuff even at 20k buyout, so I'm barely breaking even. Farming Act II really is even less fun than Act I, which was already in negative-fun territory.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 14:27.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
    10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 14:06 DG

Very nice trailer but I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's just a render with no basis in the actual graphical quality or gameplay.  

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found?
    36. Re: Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found? Jul 25, 2012, 13:40 DG

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:00:
    I also remember at the very beginning of the movie, two aliens injure themselves to escape a prison cell or something. I remember realizing at that moment this movie was going to be a train wreck, since that seemed so out of character with what they had shown aliens do in the past.
    IIRC 2 aliens bullied and killed the third.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 15:09 DG

That'd move it into contention just as a BR movie player.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day Nine
    9. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day Nine Jul 20, 2012, 15:41 DG

Far Cry 2 on the flash sale, not a great game but enjoyable and worth that money.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
    23. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 15:37 DG

Yeah started off with a bit too much "training mode", and did have the odd sparse bits particularly in act 1, but got better and had plenty good bits, some of which I repeated just for fun + looting.

Personally I thought most of the DLC good value, though a bit strange as some clearly meant for mid-game content so very easy if you'd completed the game.

Waiting to buy the "complete" pack for cheaper and more significantly, with the DLC ready, is probably a good move but I'm looking forward to this so pre-ordered.

News Comments > On Sale
    54. Re: On Sale Jul 15, 2012, 05:50 DG

Damn I'd have jumped on a Witcher 2 flash sale but I guess that happened in the early hours over here.

Grabbed LA Noire though, and if Buy Legend of Grimrock wins the flash sale I might pick it up for a fiver.

Nealy went for Anno 2070, some great comments and I think I could do with that kind of game soon, but talk of the DRM put me right off.

Nothing much really biting me though and I can't really think of any games I even want really except Civ V Gods & Kings which is too new for big discount. Otherwise it's DayZ, but I have a feeling those guys are either enjoying the wads of cash that mod is throwing their way or starting to wonder how they'll get away with turning it into a retail game if so many people have bought ArmaII for it already...

TBH I don't know why I even buy these sales. If I wanted a game I'd have bought it already, my wallet isn't particularly fat but my time is very thin. I still have games unplayed from previous sales - and I don't remember buying anything last year...

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2012, 05:58.

News Comments > F1 Race Stars for PCs Too
    5. Re: F1 Race Stars for PCs Too Jul 15, 2012, 05:37 DG

I'm not seeing why they've paid an F1 licence for this, clearly bears no relation to F1 other than the likeness of the drivers.

Maybe F1 paid Codemasters in an effort to get more kids into F1. Doubt it, but in my mind actually a more logical business move.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2012, 17:21 DG

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 14, 2012, 15:35:

Considering how cheap a good laser printer will cost these days, you might want to consider grabbing one of those the next time you need a replacement. Especially with the cost of toner cartridges. I picked up a Samsung CLP-320 for $120 last year and I'm still on the starter toner kit, and I've already printed double what the starter kit listed for the number of pages would print. They listed 2000 b/w and 400-500 colour. I've gotten ~4800b/w and around 650 colour so far.

And considering the toner cartridge is around the same price each for a single colour pack these days, I still end up coming ahead when I did the math.
    +1

Picked up a super-cheap Samsung ML-2010 maybe 5 years ago and never looked back. I'm still using the toner that came with it, it's much faster, print quality much higher and more reliable. Can be slightly fussy with paper though.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
    149. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 13, 2012, 14:15 DG

Yes they're giving the daily deals a big overlap this year.

Glad / wallet sad because in the past I've been afk for a day and missed stuff.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:06 DG

Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:37:
    Actually sold for about $16m in all.
    Read a few articles from Techcrunch now that have left me thinking they're pretty financially savvy, relative to most non-business sites anyway (and even a few of those tbh).

Well, either that or they're checking things instead of just coming across some factoid and posting it on the assumption that it's the whole story...

er anyway, ty for link

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    15. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 13, 2012, 14:00 DG

Bodolza wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 12:32:
    Meanwhile, Reddit, which could really use an interface re-haul, seems to be gaining in popularity.
    obligatory Reddit Enhancement Suite FTW plug...

I'm not feeling any need for a redesign since using that. No major changes, everything's just about the same but better.

Reddit's still okay but it has gone way downhill. Arguably about since that time Digg were having problems and loads of their users went over, but probably more fair to say it's just due to the expanding userbase.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 14:07.

72. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 17:46 DG

Prez wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:34:
    Shogun 2 was a maybe until I drilled down and realized how much stuff you don't get for that $7.50 including the most recent expansion.

If you are a fan of the Total War style or the Feudal Japan time period, I can virtually guarantee that will be the best $7.50 you have ever spent on a game. The DLC is largely filler stuff - for $7.50 you are getting a complete, engrossing, and gorgeous strategy game that you can and will play for dozens of hours.

Then there's the Shogun 2 Darthmod, which improves virtually every weakness the original game had, most notably the AI.
    Does Shogun 2 play like the first Shogun, i.e. really good fun and not overburdened with crap like Rome? They seemed to be going downhill with every iteration of that game - on the strategy map anyway, they did seem to be getting better with the battles.

I gave up on the series with Rome, which was decent for battles but the strategy was a tortured experience (even though, or perhaps because, I like the civ games).

71. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 17:37 DG

sauron wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:49:
    Anyone think Skyrim will go below $39.99? Been looking forward to it for ages but not at $59.99. It's already 33% off.
    it's a bargain at full price, IMHO. But as always with the sale, but on a daily deal or buy on the last day.

As for these badges, I haven't even achieved
    Launch any game from your games list in the Steam Client.
    ooohhhh kaaaay...

And yeah 20 is more than I'm willing to pay just to try DayZ mod.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Rewards Borderlands 1 Vets
    14. Re: Borderlands 2 Rewards Borderlands 1 Vets Jul 7, 2012, 16:19 DG

Borderlands keeps saves in the My Docs folder.

If you're going to back up anything, surely...

Anyway, despite being a Borderlands 1 owner, I'm glad this at least is trivial customisation extras. I hate all this "bonus" content (i.e. stuff removed for everyone else) only for people who preorder (yeah I see they have that too), or even worse only if they buy at some special store.

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo