Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2012, 07:17 DG

Crystal Skull is just awful, whether as an Indiana Jones movie or not.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 09:42 DG

Hmm well that Total Biscuit video was good, thanks NIN. Covered everything I'd not liked in the demo but loving the game anyway.

In demo it all seemed to be one shot kills and the enemy getting the jump on you every time, which was just ass. The vid makes it look like there's more usually a move or two first - or more if throwing a sensor - plus able to dodge or absorb a shot or two.

Might pick this up in a sale, when a bit of patching has been done too. On other hand might be looking for a game, and Firaxis seem to take a while before putting their games in Steam sales - or is that just the Civ series?

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 DG

So lots of folks talking positively about this game. From the demo, I just didn't see it, got bored even before completing the first mission where you can actually choose where to put people. The voiceovers, terrible FMV etc do not help either. Is the demo a reasonable reflection of the game?  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2012, 05:17 DG

Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:33:

Oh my physician friend says much the same thing. He swears mufti-vitamins are a scam and all people are doing is literally pissing away money. Then you have the other side with their supporting evidence. Enh, what are you going to do? That's why I usually only take a multi once, maybe twice a week. I do daily for for garlic (great for the blood) and Omega 3/6/9 as I don't eat fish and high tri-glycerides run in our family. Then I'll do some things depending on what's going on with my health vitamin D, biotine, niacin, SSKI (potassium idodide). Vitamin D and SSKI really do help out with our northern winters in fighting off strep, bronchitis, etc. and clearing the mucas. I'd never do it daily, but I'll probably get into doing it like my multi, a few drops every couple of days.
My take on this is vitamins are not expensive, they do not have to be doing very much before they are good value.

Also it seems whenever the doctors are talking about vitamins they first say "you should get all your vitamins from a healthy, balanced diet. Then you just pee away the vitamin pill." Yeeessss.... But I'm not getting a healthy balanced diet am I. I do make an effort, but I doubt I get 5 portions of fruit & veg regularly (especially in winter) and I don't have that much variety.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today
37. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer DLC Today Oct 9, 2012, 17:42 DG

Just finished playthrough 1.

Good game. Did everything but the delivery type missions, clocked up about 70 hours. Well worth the money.

Doubt I'll do a second run through though. Good game, but I'd guess the last game that was condensed enough awesome that I replayed it was probably Goldeneye or something, not counting sandbox games like GTA or Civ.

Maybe once all the DLC is out I'll return to it.

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Oct 5, 2012, 06:36 DG

Alamar wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 20:51:
Watched the clip n YouTube because this one no workie for me, but holy crap, I found that surprisingly bad... I really didn't like the two main chars (the two sons, as it were)...

-Alamar
I did the same thing, that's a fake video.

There's an alternative source for the actual teaser at IGN.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
71. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 2, 2012, 08:43 DG

elemental multiplier tables

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
70. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 2, 2012, 06:29 DG

ViRGE wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 01:49:
Is DPS just damage * RoF, or is there more to it? Elemental weapons do so much damage that I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason not to use them, since I can always just switch so a similar weapon of a different element if I run up against someone who resists that one element.
No there's some kind of multiplier if you are using the right elemental weapon for the right enemy, and divisor if you're using the wrong one against something with a resist. Plus the DoT effect.

I'm going to hazard a guess and think that if a weapon rolls elemental it gets a 30-50% raw damage penalty, but using the right element offers around 100% damage bonus even before the DoT.

I think taking an elemental weapon seems a no-brainer mostly because there are not very many non-elemental high-end weapons, especially not with interesting rolls.

I do have a few though and the raw damage does even things up, certainly if other stats get the rolls I like. In fact I think 3 of my main weaps right now are non-elemental, including this utterly insane assault rifle.

News Comments > On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security
16. Re: On Black Ops 2 PC Servers & Security Sep 30, 2012, 07:45 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 20:38:
If a kid can go to a website and download an aimbot via Google, you would think they could stop that code prety easily...
Aa lot of bots don't mod the game but inject into directx or run like drivers or whatever.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
1. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers Sep 26, 2012, 13:42 DG

Found release notes at Guru 3D, seems like just notebook features for CCC, unless you play Lost Planet 2.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 22, 2012, 06:31 DG

Performance been great for me so far - i5 2500k, ATI 6850, 8gb ram, installed to SSD, all at stock speeds.

Game defaulted to high settings across the board I think, only oddity is it reduced the resolution from my native 1680x1050, though I put it back.

That said I have the preferred FPS as "smooth 22-60" or whatever it was. Doubt it's dropped below 60, perhaps it's culled some things to make that so, but it's not like I've noticed. Being EU I only played last night and am only just into the second area (though this is after the dragon/boat mentioned below, where I didn't have any issues).

So far enjoying the game. Initially felt a little less open-world than B1 but based on the start of this new Act, I suspect that's about to change. Huge weapon diversity even just these few hours played, but about enough in the stats to identify if worth trying out.

The UI is a bit "hmm". Everything fine except I've not decided on the backpack which feels a bit clumsy so far, and if B1 is anything to go by there will be a lot of backpack management to come.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2012, 14:25 DG

Blue, consider getting a smoke alarm that plugs into the mains with battery backup - some even recharge the battery so it should never go flat.

Also multiple alarms can be wired together, so if the kitchen goes off the one near the bedrooms does too.

Of course the downside is the expense or hassle in wiring it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 15:13 DG

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 14:20:
I used to work for a section of a fortune 500 company that made niche software. We were a dominant player in the industry. In one section, we provided the main software for the #1 and #2 largest companies in the industry in the USA. Our customers were extremely satisfied: our retention rate was 98%. However, b/c our section was only about 10% profitable and not 20% (the corporate profitability "standard") they were shopping us around and were going to shut us down until the SVPs bought us out and spun us off into our own much smaller company. 10% profitability and a dominant player in the industry and they were going to shut us down. Insanity.
One possibility here is 10% profitability is whilst consuming a ton of cash.

Say a division turns over $100 and makes $10 in profit. So far so good. But what if it is soaking up $1,000 of cash in order to do so? Equipment, work in progress, debtors... The return on investment is only 1%. ROI is much more important for a listed company than net profit ratio.

Another possibility is that the 10% is before HQ costs (or even other costs/opportunity costs like rent on owned premises). Some companies literally bill a recharge of the HQ costs, so it comes out of internal accounts, in others it's purely a year-end accounting thing, in which case nobody realises it's a loss except accounting and the board.

Or, obviously, the company were just insane douches.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
7. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 14:56 DG

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 13:39:
So at what point did the community turn from angry to happy in regards to Borderlands?
Well, the community isn't one person. Usually what happens on any given topic is that once a thread starts to go too far one direction, people with a different opinion often don't bother posting.

This can often be easily observed on Reddit, where you can often follow the thread from one top-level response that goes entirely in one direction. Then on the next top-level response it goes completely the other way.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 14:51 DG

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 12:28:
After watching them both, I'm totally excited about the "badass" ranking system. Basically, as you do certain things in the game (kill X number of Y, pickup X number of Y, etc) you slowly earn tokens. These tokens in turn are redeemable towards a random stat boost(*) that's account wide. So with enough tokens, any future characters you create (as well as existing ones) might have a x% faster reload speed, or x% higher crit chance. And for purists, this can be toggled off, if you don't want to use it.

(*That is to say, when you redeem the token, you're randomly presented with 5 stats, and you pick the one you want to boost.)

So basically cheevos that actually add something to the game?

I wonder if there are any character-specific badass points, thus playing an alt can boost your main char?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 15:30 DG

Hmm, there's also a lot of sites still going that just aren't the same.

Anandtech has always been my favourite. The articles are still good and can still get good answers on the boards, but I no longer feel any sense of "community" on the boards when I drop by. Actually I rarely feel any sense of community online anywhere now.

Even Reddit has nose-dived, on the main page anyway, I think thanks to the demise of Digg.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer
9. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer Sep 10, 2012, 14:30 DG

Very well executed ad.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 13:05 DG

WHy are they talking about processor "quality" when their source article makes it very clear the problem is the usual yields issue?

It would be very easy to sceptically suggest they are trying to create a stir based on the RRoD fiasco.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends
21. Re: PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends Sep 1, 2012, 06:35 DG

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 00:37:
Game just had my computer going apeshit... after 20 minutes of playing, I was driving along in a tank and objects/textures were failing to load... then I randomly died, the deployment screen wouldnt come up, I was kicked to a loading screen that stuck at 100%, Windows was unresponsive, and when I was finally forced to reset my computer (something no program has ever made me do in Win7) BIOS failed to pick up my bootdisk until I restarted again. I have a bad feeling about this.
In... omfg, ~19, is it 20? years (fuuuuuuck!) of PC gaming, anytime I have even heard of remotely similar issues it has been the PC causing the problem, not the other way around, with IIRC the sole exception of the securom shit.

Shit, securom was Sony, wasn't it?

Well okay, my argument is invalid, but I'd still bet the money on this not being the game.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
45. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 31, 2012, 13:29 DG

CrimsonPaw wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 14:49:
Yeah .... I want to play this game but am willing to wait for the $7.50 GOTY version like I did with the first Borderlands.
I'd agree with you but I'm short on games I actually want to play.

Tons of unplayed games from Steam sales, but I just can't muster up enthusiasm for them. Just Cause 2, LA Noire, STALKER, Shogun 2, Legend of Grimrock, Super Meat Boy, to name but a few that have been spoken about positively on here.

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo