Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1668 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Videos
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Videos Sep 16, 2012, 14:51 DG

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 12:28:
After watching them both, I'm totally excited about the "badass" ranking system. Basically, as you do certain things in the game (kill X number of Y, pickup X number of Y, etc) you slowly earn tokens. These tokens in turn are redeemable towards a random stat boost(*) that's account wide. So with enough tokens, any future characters you create (as well as existing ones) might have a x% faster reload speed, or x% higher crit chance. And for purists, this can be toggled off, if you don't want to use it.

(*That is to say, when you redeem the token, you're randomly presented with 5 stats, and you pick the one you want to boost.)

So basically cheevos that actually add something to the game?

I wonder if there are any character-specific badass points, thus playing an alt can boost your main char?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 15:30 DG

Hmm, there's also a lot of sites still going that just aren't the same.

Anandtech has always been my favourite. The articles are still good and can still get good answers on the boards, but I no longer feel any sense of "community" on the boards when I drop by. Actually I rarely feel any sense of community online anywhere now.

Even Reddit has nose-dived, on the main page anyway, I think thanks to the demise of Digg.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer
9. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer Sep 10, 2012, 14:30 DG

Very well executed ad.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 13:05 DG

WHy are they talking about processor "quality" when their source article makes it very clear the problem is the usual yields issue?

It would be very easy to sceptically suggest they are trying to create a stir based on the RRoD fiasco.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends
21. Re: PlanetSide 2 NDA Ends Sep 1, 2012, 06:35 DG

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 00:37:
Game just had my computer going apeshit... after 20 minutes of playing, I was driving along in a tank and objects/textures were failing to load... then I randomly died, the deployment screen wouldnt come up, I was kicked to a loading screen that stuck at 100%, Windows was unresponsive, and when I was finally forced to reset my computer (something no program has ever made me do in Win7) BIOS failed to pick up my bootdisk until I restarted again. I have a bad feeling about this.
In... omfg, ~19, is it 20? years (fuuuuuuck!) of PC gaming, anytime I have even heard of remotely similar issues it has been the PC causing the problem, not the other way around, with IIRC the sole exception of the securom shit.

Shit, securom was Sony, wasn't it?

Well okay, my argument is invalid, but I'd still bet the money on this not being the game.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
45. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 31, 2012, 13:29 DG

CrimsonPaw wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 14:49:
Yeah .... I want to play this game but am willing to wait for the $7.50 GOTY version like I did with the first Borderlands.
I'd agree with you but I'm short on games I actually want to play.

Tons of unplayed games from Steam sales, but I just can't muster up enthusiasm for them. Just Cause 2, LA Noire, STALKER, Shogun 2, Legend of Grimrock, Super Meat Boy, to name but a few that have been spoken about positively on here.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
12. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 12:54 DG

Yeah... I think I'll wait to save more than 25% in the Steam sale.

By which point I may have already decided to save up to 100% as I'll have a good idea on quality.

I think I already took a bit of a gamble pre-ordering this game, now they want me to double-up and the odds aren't good even if they do have the best of intentions. The extent of their rush to cash in is leading me to question my pre-order.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Aug 28, 2012, 14:41 DG

I made a start on CoH recently but just didn't get into it like I thought after all the raving.

Game seemed fun but overly scripted, which is a bit bleh in itself but it was really bad at hinting. There was a couple of times I thought I screwed up so restarted, thinking bloody hell this is hard, only to find out I was supposed to lose that bit.

There was other bits of bad scripting and communication too. Like some levels you were supposed to say rescue some troops, then come back build a base, then after a bit you get attacked. But stray slightly too far north when rescuing the troops and you trigger the assault immediately.

Also,the population caps were always bloody annoying. Tons of resources and tons of units - but only if you keep getting them killed!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
14. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:32 DG

Sounds a bit meh.

Can't see myself getting back into Skyrim until there's a whole bunch of content, on a Steam sale.

TBF I regret not playing Skyrim how my friend did - new thief char for the thief quests, new mage char for the mage quests, etc. Would have been awesome if they had built it so you could have multiple chars on the go in the same "world" as it were.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
89. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 15:15 DG

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 12:17:
I'm not a mathematician but still I have a pretty good grasp of how percentages work. If you consider that the largest western markets make a huge swathe of the global PC game market, which data I've read in the past suggests averages anywhere from 60% to 75% piracy (numbers, BTW, which are also inflated because of inaccurate accounting), what would the rest of the world have to be averaging to bring the global piracy rate up to the 93% to 95%? I'm thinking countries like Russia, China, Brazil, and others would have to have nigh 100% piracy to jack the number up that high. Even if true (as I understand piracy to be ingrained in the culture of some of those places), wouldn't that make more of a case for cessation of releasing PC games in those markets instead of whining and crying about numbers that sound utterly ridiculous to those of us in less piracy-infested countries?
I can easily believe that the piracy rate is 99% in second and third-world countries. Visit these places, they don't even have shops selling legit games outside of the richest areas - they have shops and stalls everywhere selling pirate copies. Steam games may fare a bit better as at least there's a viable route, competitive on most aspects except price.

I read the article with a bit of caution as I feel appropriate to all media sources these days, even GI Biz which was at least once a good source, and I suspect either he's not been clear or he's been misquoted (most likely a bit of both). There are clear hints that he's talking about the developing world, specifically in paragraph 2 but I suspect (giving benefit of the doubt) that was his intended context throughout.

Also, there's no indication that he has confused a pirate with a "potential buyer". If I am right about the context, he knows these people are never potential buyers and so not lost sales.

Maybe stretching the benefit-of-the-doubt too much, but I picked up almost a glimmer of an idea that maybe piracy is a market force to be adapted to rather than desperately fought to preserve the old ways.

News Comments > Sony Liverpool Closing
15. Re: Sony Liverpool Closing Aug 22, 2012, 14:43 DG

Lemmings was developed by oringinal GTA developer DMA Design in Dundee (Scotland), now known as Rockstar North in Edinburgh after being purchased by the Houser brothers.

Psygnosis was the publisher of Lemmings - though that's not to overly discount their hand in the game's success, back then publishers were actually considered useful.

They have an odd history as both developer and sometimes publisher, they did develop Shadow of the Beast and WipEout.

Kinda struck me as a relatively successful acquisition by a big label, but far as I can tell game shops only seem to work as either "small" owner-managed highly entrepreneurial shops or very big corporate places. Though the latter seem to turn around staff so fast I'm not sure that from game to game they're really the same studio in anything but name.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 18:17 DG

All this talk of Mexican Coke is getting us onto some kind of watch-list  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 15:33 DG

A basic 500ml plastic bottle of coke here (UK) is about $1.70.

Not a big fan of sugary fizzy drinks personally.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 05:26 DG

Hmm, I'd tried going in via the server browser but they were all 6 players in game, 14 specutating :s

I'll fiddle with the settings and try again

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 17:37 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 13:58:
TF2 MvM is infuriating.......takes forever to get into a game, and now it is crashing on loadup "connectino failed after 4 tries". On top of that:

3623 in queue
315 EMPTY SERVERS
193 ACTIVE SERVERS

WTF@? Fire off those empty servers!
For me, playing MvM seems to be a case of:

* sitting waiting forever to get into a game
* Server is old version / bad challenge / whatever
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game
* repeat the above X times
* finally get in
* have anywhere 3-6 players
then either a) -
* we get ridiculously steamrolled
* spend about same time in warmup as the round lasts
* players keep quitting / joining, no cohesion at all
* we get ridiculously steamrolled
* repeat above X times
* I quit
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game ...

or b) it lands on normal decoy,
* we steamroll the machines,
* game over in no time.
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game ...

Spent most of the day (it's 10pm here), a rare day free to myself to do wtf I fee like, "playing" MvM. Out of that, maybe 30mins total of reasonable quality play time.

Seems to break down to 2 issues. Firstly the matchmaking, okay it's being hammered but I can't help thinking the matchmaker is shit. Particularly since there's a lot of free servers and a lot of time in game with less than 6 players.

Secondly, the gameplay... I think Valve has targeted 6 Steam friends playing a game together. For everyone else playing with random people, this means we probably need about 9 players in order to average about the same effectiveness. Decoy ain't so bad because it's small and choked, advanced Mannworks, just forget it.

it's be nice if there was a search option for any map for specified difficulty.

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live
22. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 15:09 DG

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:50:
Is that ticket a one-time purchase that gives you unlimited access or what?
Dunno, my best guess from that faq ...
Q: Are my Tickets or Vouchers consumed even if we lose the game or are disconnected?
No. Tour of Duty Tickets and Squad Surplus Vouchers are ONLY consumed upon successful completion of a Mission. If you do not beat the Mission for any reason, then your Tickets and Vouchers will not be consumed and can be used again later.
Q: What if I complete a Mission that I have already completed on my Tour of Duty Badge?
In this case, your Tour of Duty Ticket will not be consumed, and your ToDB progress will not be updated. Squad Surplus Vouchers, however, will always be redeemed for items when a Mission is completed successfully.
... is that the first ticket will be used up when you win a mission for the first time. Buy a second and you can keep getting in for that mission, without using it up. But, win a different mission and it will get used up - however if you now buy a third ticket you can play away at those 2 missions.

But I'm considering my conclusions as little more than speculation at this point, given a) I'm not buying tickets and b) I can't get into MvM anyway (matchmaking server is busy or whatever).

18. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 14:41 DG

deqer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 12:59:
I don't see why you want to jump queues. Aren't the queues only there because MvM was just launched?

And I don't see how you can be in a queue if you click the "Start Server" button, and start inviting people. This option/feature of starting your own server was clearly presented in the game when I was in.

Didn't say I wanted to, just trying to figure out what the dealie is with those ticket things.

Far as I can tell -
Q: What is Mann Up Mode?
When you play Mann vs. Machine on an official Mann Co. server, this is called Mann Up Mode. Mann Up Mode allows you to earn special item rewards and track your progress through various Missions. To enter Mann Up Mode, you must possess a Tour of Duty Ticket.

Q: What is a Tour of Duty Ticket?
A Tour of Duty Ticket gives you access to Mann Up Mode, and can be purchased from the Mann Co. Store for $0.99. You do not need a Tour of Duty Ticket to play Mann vs. Machine on non-Mann Co. servers (i.e.: not in Mann Up Mode).

- basically translates into "optionally, pay $0.99 to play on a Valve official server".

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
16. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 12:47 DG

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 10:41:
... However, I'm guessing there is more to this story than we are hearing so far...
I'm leaning in that direction too. I've had indirect experience of a director in a company doing shady things, but it's very difficult to prove or prosecute. Basically using company resources to try and set himself up as a competitor, whilst running the company into the ground.

11. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 12:37 DG

So it basically works out as being $0.99 to jump the queue and play MvM on special Valve-provided servers, oh with some cosmetic stuff thrown in?

It's not clear, but it seems once you beat this particular mission you need to buy a second $0.99 ticket to keep jumping the queues, but that second ticket wont be used up until you beat the second mission...

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Update Wednesday
26. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Update Wednesday Aug 14, 2012, 13:30 DG

BTW, I appreciate Valve announcing this so close to release  

1668 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo