Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Weekend Sales
35. Re: Nice price! Feb 15, 2009, 13:06 DG

Did the game get lots of stuff added?
dunno about since the weekend trial, but there is some free DLC coming in spring:

February 11, 2009 The recently announced Left 4 Dead Downloadable Content (L4D DLC) will be delivered to Xbox 360 and PC gamers free of charge.

Due for release this spring, the DLC for 2008's best-selling new game property on the PC and Xbox 360, is dubbed the L4D Survival Pack and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode (Death Toll, Dead Air). A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

Left 4 Dead is a survival action game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 25 industry awards from outlets around the world.

For more information, please visit www.l4d.com

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Re:Escape From City 17 Feb 15, 2009, 08:43 DG

I'm allergic to Will Smith, though, so I doubt I'll ever watch the movie.
I am Legend, IMHO, is the closest he has come to proper acting and I had to revise my opinion of his talents after watching this a few times. The movie itself can be relatively subtle and it's easy to miss things on the first viewing.

However people also have been missing things in the film because they had certain expectations of Will Smith. It simply didn't occur to quite a few people to look out for him actually acting in it, they expected the typical brash action movie. The main focus of the movie is actually Smith's character and he pulls it off surprisingly well.

14. Re: Re:Escape From City 17 Feb 15, 2009, 06:18 DG

Go watch "I am Legend", Will Smith did an awesome job. At least IMO.
My favourite film of last year and a very good example to emphasise my point. To resolve the problem of having a single/lone good guy they:
1) repeatedly flashed back to the past,
2) played recordings of TV news conversations,
3) added good guys towards the end,
4) had him recording video diaries so that he could talk,
5) had him talking to mannequins,
6) had him talking to himself,
7) gave him a dog.

6. Re:Escape From City 17 Feb 14, 2009, 17:00 DG

I still think HL2/episodes would make for a good movie, or "film series" like Band of Brothers. I figure HL2 would adapt better than HL1 due to the additional characters... bit tricky making a film almost entirely with a single good guy, and a mute one at that.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2009, 14:41 DG

Wicked Clock, nice find Blue.
It was opened a while back now, by Stephen Hawking.

IMO, while it's actually master craftmanship and very expensive (not to mention a cool concept), it actually looks horrid - like something cheap manufactured en masse in china.

On a related note... Anyone know why I can't get the video to work? Since I formatted recently quite a few video sites don't work: Wired, the Guardian, MSN... I have the latest flash and everything.

I thought maybe Adblock interfering but I can see the video player, the static image of the clock, the "menu" etc buttons work, I can even scroll to select other videos - but nothing actually plays.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2009, 14:30 DG

Round 2!

Who was more important? Lincoln vs. Darwin! Fight Fight! Fight!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143742
I'm somewhat unimpressed with that article, most of Lincoln's pro's seem to apply to the USA, while Darwin's are global. Put another way, I'd guess say 95% of American's learn about both Darwin and Lincoln in school, while in the rest of the world they learn Darwin but not Lincoln.

The article authors ultimately base their decision on the north winning the US civil war vs. biology, and for some reason pick the former. Sure, other's had theories about evolution; but there were also others in the civil war. Arguably, evolution only became widely accepted because of Darwin - and particularly his backers, several of whom were strong opponents to the idea (some say that a mutual friend of Darwin and Wallace pressurised Darwin to publish first, singularly because he felt that Wallace would not have been accepted, which would then make it all the harder for Darwin).

News Comments > Amazon Casual Pricing Flap
11. Re: Amazon Casual Pricing Flap Feb 12, 2009, 13:32 DG

absolutely agree with Amazon's position. They are selling the product, they choose the price. If the publishers don't like it, they need to supply in a way that stops this. They can put it in their contract with Amazon that they get paid $15 per sale which means Amazon can't sell at 10 bucks without taking hits, but unless it's in the contract, it's fair game for Amazon and others.
QFT.

Funny how these things only brew up when it comes to download sales. Nobody cares when Walmart/Tesco/whoever retail marks down games (or any other product).

For publishers, the whole idea of digital distribution is totally lost on them and instead it is seen as a mode of extending control both over supply channels and customers.

This is actually ironic. Online distribution SHOULD mean developers can just throw their product out on it and leave market forces to set the optimum point (the equilibrium). Online distribution channels should also be fiercely competitive (customers can switch easily) meaning that distributor are unable to add a large margin on the sale price, so compared to retail developers have greater quantity demanded at all price levels (their price being the retail price less distributor's margin).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: The Sexy Sister Duo Feb 11, 2009, 15:42 DG

The brunette in "Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad" looks about 9.  

News Comments > New GoldenEye: Source Beta
6. Re: New GoldenEye: Source Beta Feb 9, 2009, 13:53 DG

Yeah, I keep hearing what a great SINGLE-PLAYER game the original was, but as far as I can tell of this mod, it is multi-player
single player was excellent, but it garnered a lot of it's deserved hype from multi-player.

However, perhaps the most significant factor in the greatness of Goldeneye N64 is irrelevant to single vs multiplayer. It proved that a console FPS can be excellent gaming if the game is wholly designed for the platform - particularly it's controller. I suppose it's the console equivalent of when you first put +mlook into the console in Quake.

I'm not saying this mod won't be a really good game, just that when I at least consider to be the main reason for it's greatness will be lost on the PC.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2009, 13:54.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 9, 2009, 13:29 DG

So rewarding them for ruining their own product with DRM and funding further DRM annoyance, GfWL and Xbox exclusives makes sense to you? That's insane. You have to let your money talk and stop buying shit if you ever want to progress from shit. Otherwise you're just as much to blame as MS.
That's the same fallacy. The truth in one statement (that not buying is a vote that counts against DRM) does not somehow rub off or support any notion that using the software anyway is some kind of vote against DRM. If you want to protest DRM with your wallet, don't buy the software.

Where does pirating come into it? In what way does pirating software get counted as a vote against DRM?

All pirating software shows is that firstly you were prepared to pirate software and secondly that it was possible for you to do so. Executives then apply their own version of the false argument - the flip side of the same coin - to claim that all they need is stronger DRM and automatically all those downloads turn into sales. Unfortunately it's quite hard to convince them that their perspective is overly cynical when all these "votes against drm" are so awfully convenient, bit like going on hunger strike so long as the free pizza keeps coming.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2009, 17:59 DG

There is a certain point where someone will just say "screw it" and resort to piracy. I think the point in the original article is that if he is going to have to go and pirate the game to get it to work, why even bother going to pick up a hard copy, finding out it doesn't work, and going through all the hassle.
Oh, I agree. But my point is people claim DRM as a reason, excuse and self-justification for obtaining a pirate copy and not paying for software.

But actually there is a choice to get the pirate version then make due payment. Downloading the pirate version and paying are not mutually exclusive. Therefore while IMHO DRM is a valid reason for obtaining the pirate copy, it is not an excuse nor justifies never paying.

The problem with the "screw it" argument is that it applies whether there is DRM or not.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2009, 15:07 DG

If the problem is activation, how's about buy the software then download the crack to avoid activation? I don't really see why there is only supposed to be a choice between either suffering or being a full-blown pirate.

So you say, why bother paying when you're downloading a pirate copy anyway? Well in that case why bother paying at all, it's not like getting that pirate copy is an effort. Paying vs. not paying for PC software is now nearly just a moral decision, plus maybe a small consideration of getting caught.

My argument is only that there is this third option. Whether it's reasonable for the product to come with the DRM, and whether the DRM actually fulfils it's stated purpose are different debates.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 7, 2009, 06:16 DG

I use Vista at home, no problem using XP at work. It's not like there's any fundamental difference when using it, in fact the only thing I can think of that would make the slightest bit of difference to me at work is Vista's lack of "up one level" button in explorer.

There's not much reason to upgrade for home users - I like vista but I wouldn't recommend anyone bother if they already have an xp licence. I don't see any need for most offices to upgrade and if there's no need nor clear advantage, you'd have to be crazy to take the risk.

As regards Linux in the corporate world, I really cannot see it except in specifically suitable circumstances. Employees don't need training to use windows, suitably skilled IT staff are more widely available, all the software works on windows (and is supported). Is linux even cheaper once support is factored in? The cost of the windows license is pretty small, I can buy a 1-user Vista Business for 3 hours at my charge rate (which, in my circumstances is a pretty good approximation of my full-cost) and if I got it on a Dell or in a multi-licence pack it's much cheaper than that.

the fundamental flaw with linux is they focus on it being technically superior, but forget the real goal is to be a tool for that "PEBKAC". Sure, windows has it's problems but if the user doesn't already know how to deal there's a nearby colleague/friend who does and it all works out. And everybody knows this from the start.

You'd have to be crazy to consider moving to linux in the corporate environment, taking on a substantial project with major risks when the existing systems work fine and there is little potential reward to balance out that risk.

I think Linux is in the process of losing a real opportunity with netbooks, a device which people expect to take a little learning and have certain compromises (many of which, like gaming, are already compromised by the hardware so simply don't apply to the OS decision). Contrast that with a PC or laptop where people have an expectation of pressing a button and shit just works exactly as they are used to. If linux hit critical mass in the home it could migrate into the office.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2009, 07:28.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2009, 16:30 DG

Dune2 really influenced C&C. There's an argument that Dune2 was the more important, but that was more due to it being a precursor for C&C: it did take the next step (and a gazillion sales) to C&C to really influence the industry so strongly.

There's probably a good argument that Sims heavily influenced a LOT of games which I (and most of the gamers who would read Bluesnews) do not know much about.

And Myst, yes and deservedly so IMHO. Saying otherwise is like going to the theatre to see Hamlet, then afterwards complaining that it was full of cliches. Read the wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst ) and ponder how much of that hadn't really been done before.

There is one fatal omission in the listing though: Soltaire.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Blame Dr. Spock. Jan 31, 2009, 18:52 DG

Who the hell is the Dr.Spock you talk about?
http://tinyurl.com/b7zn54

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jan 30, 2009, 20:18 DG

'm going to completely disagree with the MS article. [...]
+1

Also I suspect MS might not have bothered if the other consoles were going to use DirectX. I think they saw a market with a lot of potential which Sony was about to utterly monopolise and MS were the only ones with the cash and the resources to compete with them. At this point NOBODY saw the Wii coming, not even Nintendo (hence the availability).

Really the Xbox is the main target of the PC-only gaming crowd's ire because firstly it's MS and secondly it bridged the gap between PC and console. It's games are much more similar to PC games than other consoles. This hurts PC gaming more because "PC gamers" are more inclined to move over to a console. Yes there's also argument that MS now has a conflict of interest over console & pc gaming, though it's not like MS ever really pimped PC gaming so really the difference is what, a 5% performance margin and a couple of dev studios?

I dunno, the 360 has hurt PC gaming in this way but the fact that one of the big consoles right now is based on directx is probably the reason for a LOT of games coming out on pc at all - it's very easy and very cheap.

News Comments > Activision & "Bullshots"?
12. Re: Activision & Jan 29, 2009, 13:27 DG

I do wish websites would stamp or label screenshots that have been provided by the publisher and those they have taken themselves. Oh and date them. Most sites see fit to stamp officially distributed images with their own logo, as if they had taken them and somehow had some form of copyright.  

News Comments > Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs
39. Re: online activation Jan 28, 2009, 13:31 DG

I do think there should be a system to protect consumers in the event of a online-activating company folding. Essentially insurance.

For example: I know here in Scotland solicitors pay the Law Society an annual fee for a certificate, and (amongst various other substantial functions) if a solicitor goes bust the Society goes through all the files and arranges for any outstanding work to be completed.

Yes there would have to be a fee, so it would cost, but the company would benefit by being able to guarantee their customers that the games will not simply stop working even if the company goes bust.

They could probably arrange it so if a company did go bankrupt, the non-profit would have a reserve of funds to use, the relevant publisher and the other members would be required to pay in an additional amount, with the balance covered by insurance. Furthermore companies that take steps in advance (i.e. have contingency patches ready) would pay a reduced fee.

Actually probably wouldn't cost that much anyway, most of these DRM are essentially standard packages (that the non-profit could have arrangements with), admin should be fairly low, so really main cost would be occasionally auditing the members and maybe legal fees for defending the certificate & logo etc.

News Comments > Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs
37. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 13:08 DG

On principle both online activation and being tied to third party software scores a black mark from me.

But if it's going to be tied to a service I'm glad it's steam. TBH if it was optional to go via steam without cd in tray etc I'd consider it a significant plus.

So, erm, it's more like a grey mark - wouldn't stop me buying but does erode a little bit my opinion of the developer/publisher.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: ECA on Net Neutrality Jan 27, 2009, 13:37 DG

but on the other hand if time-sensitive traffic can be separated and a premium charged, people who do not want to pay (or undecided if they want to pay, i.e. new gamers) will be left in traffic that is even slower.

The idea that premium services will get better while non-premium will remain at the quality it would otherwise be seems highly unlikely IMO. For one thing to become prioritised, the rest must become de-prioritised. For more money, one service will get better while for the same money the original service will become worse.

There's some good potential in a non-neutral internet, but I don't have any faith whatsoever that ISP's can provide that to consumers without taking advantage of the rather less consumer-friendly, commercial potential...

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo