Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1704 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Preloads
39. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Preloads Apr 8, 2015, 15:21 DG

Looks like I need to get around to getting that new SSD before I can install this... Does it look like I can begin pre-load now and shift it from HDD to new SSD after it's done downloading?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 6, 2015, 14:23 DG

Pigeon wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 09:06:
It's so inane I have a hard time imagining what kind of person would think this is a good idea without having a cartoon villain come to mind.

Seriously though what kind of moron would be upset that someone makes what is essentially a 40 minute commercial showing himself enjoying their game? It costs them no money to make, no money to air and it could potentially be seen by millions of people. So many companies would kill for that kind of FREE exposure.

Put yourself in the corporate mind.

You have a huge amount of exposure you have no control over whatsoever. It's getting to the point that games live or die based on youtubers, totally out of the hands of the corporate machine. This is antithesis to corporate which is all about control. You have a mentality which isn't about recognising you have this thing happening which is resulting in amazing good stuff for you. No, what matters is you have this important thing you do not control and therefore you have a major risk.

You're also obsessed with control over your intellectual property. This guy making youtube vids is making money off the back of YOUR thing. Therefore that money is yours. He's literally stealing from the company!

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
28. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 12:50 DG

Genuine question as I've not really been following this game, or backing in general:

Is this $250 for pre-release DLC of one ship, or do you also get shares in the company or something?

News Comments > H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam
16. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 12:06 DG

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:44:
I'll check H1Z1 out when its a bit more mature, my friend just complains endlessly about it right now. I'm trying to avoid early access in general, I have a whole pile of them in Steam that dead ended.
As a >2 year PS2 player, I feel obliged to counsel you against optimism.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 14:30 DG

LgFriess wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:46:
Well looks like it's finally time for a full new system build. Skylake, 390x/Nvidia equivalent, Windows 10, 21:9 monitors all hopefully being available this summer/fall.

My first thought was that it's opportunity to upgrade. I have a 2500K oc to 4.2ghz for way too long now. I've been periodically checking the cpu benches but I'm yet to see any significant gains (admittedly comparing current oc to stock, because I don't want to upgrade on the assumption of achieving a good oc).

Q550 with 4gb though...

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
45. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 14:26 DG

WaltC wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 12:10:
I could care less about multiplayer for HL3, actually--that seems enormously boring to me. The HL story is one with much remaining potential for *single-player*
Yeah I don't get why games have to have MP thrown in with a SP game, or vice versa. Better to do one thing very well than split resources. In fairness, there's a lot of assets in a SP game that can be reused for MP, but one or the other ends up as an afterthought. Even co-op, how many games do that well? Adversarial doesn't interest me at all.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 16, 2015, 13:54 DG

I assume a non-trivial chunk will centre on the pre-Howsers studio (DMA Design) which was up in Dundee making the likes of Lemmings and GTA1+2 for about 10 years.  

News Comments > Source 2 Games Must Use Steam
28. Re: Source 2 Games Must Use Steam Mar 5, 2015, 14:58 DG

NKD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:10:
Really important point I just thought about. If Source 2 games MUST be on Steam, then does it follow that Steam MUST sell all Source 2 games? I doubt that Valve is going to commit to that.

So it seems that you'll have a scenario where you use Source 2, have Valve say they don't want to sell your game for whatever reason, and then you're forbidden from selling your game at all.

Or must you simply be WILLING to list your game on Steam, and if Valve declines, you get a free pass?

Unless I see contract wording to the contrary, I'd assume it's written such that use of Source2 requires acceptance of the Steam seller agreement, not that the game actually has to be selling on the Steam store.

News Comments > Syndicate Free on Origin
9. Re: Syndicate Free on Origin Mar 4, 2015, 09:45 DG

One of my favourite games of all time.

Thanks for link Blahman, I'll need to keep an eye on that game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:24 DG

I see whiteish (hint of blue) and gold. And that's what the colour is being reproduced on screen. I can tell that what I am seeing is not the original colours, but my eyes aren't automatically correcting - not on a photo like that anyway, they might have if this was part of a picture with more in it and not atrocious quality.

I wouldn't have thought it was that strong a blue and am a bit surprised at the black, but I think this is due to the sheen effect of the material.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Delay
20. Re: GTA5 PC Delay Feb 24, 2015, 13:05 DG

Bummer, I think I'm done with my current main game and the previous March date was looking timely. I'd rather wait than have a buggy mess though I'm not really interested in online for GTA.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 12:45 DG

Not sure what happens in Win8 but it is possible to suspend and unplug the power because some methods (basically) dump ram onto HDD and all it does on "boot" is put it back into RAM. Obviously your BIOS routines still run but the o/s doesn't load fresh.

Speculating, but the keyboard thing might be a deliberate by MS to prevent USB payloads executing before the OS is fully loaded. a USB stick firmware can pretend to be a keyboard in order to bypass security restrictions. I'm guessing this because my kb started being delayed like yours around the time MS released updates targeting USB autorun exploits.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2015, 12:40 DG

I suspect nobody really "buys" this stuff. Maybe some millionaire contracts "Ultra HiFi" company to install the best system available and that company then buys direct from the manufacturer and charges that invoice on to the customer - later receiving a massive rebate which isn't passed on. If not a rebate then a more literal kick-back.

Contractor and manufacturer conspiring in a fraud. It passes an uncritical inspection because there are these genuine purchase invoices, which probably just show model numbers to be less obvious. Bullshit reviews to add an element of potential credibility and something to bullshit about in court if you do get busted.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
20. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 16:48 DG

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:05:
Good ones, and there are lots of good ones, actually come in and fix things. Have you ever seen the show The Profit? That's a boiled down version of what good ones do.

Sadly, there are also an enormous amount of fleecers.

In this case, it's hard to see immediate advantages someone would have that Sony wouldn't. The good PE firms usually take over something poorly run, or something they have a particular skill at to run better. Here? The only thing that becomes an advantage is that SOE games can now be on more platforms.

Not sure that's good enough to trust.

Yeah, pretty much every startup, or anything making an IPO is financed by private equity. There's a lot of asset strippers and milkers too, so people are right to be wary. Adding to the bad reputation, there's all the companies that have failed then private equity comes in to save it but fails again, which is the final nail and the company closes after that so the equity firm takes the blame even though they just delayed it.

PS2... I don't think anyone would say that game shows signs of good management. Good intentions, great interaction with the community, sure. But that game launched way too early, hasn't developed nearly as much as it should (lots of patches, not so much real content) and has a lot of bugs that get swatted only to reappear a few updates later.

If this is the good kind of PE, it could be the best thing to happen to PS2. The bad kind would be the worst, but at this point I'll take the gamble. I'll be watching for staff leaving though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2015, 08:00 DG

Not sure Sunday is good for international appeal either. Here in UK I know a couple of people who will be watching, but they're having to take Monday off work.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 27, 2015, 13:58 DG

Parias wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:58:
Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:34:
This game flat out SUCKS. Unless your in a clan and play 12 hrs a day. Otherwise, forget about it.

Can you explain in more detail? I haven't played the game all that much and was thinking of getting back into it, so I'm curious what exactly you mean.
The game fucking sucks and is fucking awesome. At different times and even at the same time.

I play it far too much and am very reluctant to recommend it.

Don't get me wrong, good times in this game can be fantastic and it can make other games feel mediocre in scope. It's just the good times aren't all that frequent (even when you can read the map very well, know how to get to good fights and how to have a good time at them) and there's a lot of shit that comes with it.

The "new player experience" is pretty much shit unless you happen to fall into a good group of players. They're working on that a bit by having a continent restricted to new accounts so newbies can learn the ropes, but it hasn't happened yet. Anyway, once you get done with that you'll still need to find some decent players to group up with out in the real game.

Once you get into things, it's still questionable. Basically the FPS/TDM element is good for an "MMO" but there really isn't much of an "MMO" right now. As just a team deathmatch game, the netcode is poor (quite a bit is client side), current server lag issues are unforgivable (gone on FAR too long), the vast majority of base designs really aren't very good, the imbalanced populations at fights often ruin them, and shit like mechs and vehicle AoE spam are just retarded in a TDM. Having xp-based unlocks which are straight upgrades don't make any sense in a game that is just a TDM. A lot of this would be part-and-parcel of the MMO thing, but it just isn't there right now.

It's also all on one world so there's no separation of skill levels. Most games, even public servers naturally end up mainly consisting of players of broadly similar skill levels. MMOs with xp-based advantages tend to get separated. Here, if you're bad then you're getting farmed by good players, and if you're good then all these noobs just get in the way and basically destroy any hopes of tactical play.

The F2P thing is done pretty well, the starter weapons are generally competitive all-round and if you acquire a new gun ($$$ or using in-game XP) it's probably going to be better up close but worse at range, or vice-versa. Items are very expensive unless you pick them up in the sales though.

Overall though the whole problem is that is is under-resourced and not very well managed. They don't take the approach that spending some money and having a polished game pays dividends through player retention. It all seems a bit on the cheap and half-assed, which in turn results in high player turnover and the quality of the general player base never really progresses. It's more than two years since release but it doesn't feel like it, not from either the product nor player quality. Shit just go to the game website and see how natty it is, check the player stats etc pages and see all the areas that have been "coming soon" since launch.

But anyways. It's a free game, all it costs to try is some bandwidth and your time. Maybe a lot of the above is the gripes that comes with playing for >2 years. There is fun to be had, and sometimes just watching an epic fight will make you say "wow" out loud. But this could so easily be 10x the game it is.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 DG

EVE is an FPS??  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 13:23 DG

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 16:50:
I was under the impression that SOE was pretty good about their ability to stop and remove bots in PS2 by way of hardware-level banning the offenders? Is this not true?

Bit hard to say. On the one hand I can't recall encountering a clear hacker anytime recently, but on the other the nature and features in the game mean they'd probably be fairly hard to spot unless they were being blatant about it.

IIRC some cheat maker did abandon supporting PS2, the anticheat (and frequency of general game updates) will have played a role in that. I assume this is more that keeping the cheat ahead required an amount of work which isn't justified by the level of income they were getting from the game, rather than the anticheat being undefeatable. Second, the nature of PS2 is to accumulate cert points over time so if you're using a cheat to boost that but then losing it to SOE bans (even in infrequent), then there isn't much to gain from cheating unless you're doing it to troll.

There is quite a lot of suspicions about players manipulating their internet connections for an advantage though.

I don't follow H1Z1, but assuming there is importance to character progression then I'd assume SOE should win out but it will take time. It's a war by economic attrition.

News Comments > H1Z1 Early Access This Week
24. Re: H1Z1 Early Access This Week Jan 13, 2015, 13:35 DG

Theo wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 03:15:
kinda beyond playing anything that SOE and Smedley's crew put out now; DCU was great fun, but clearly a console game (the PC UI was awful); PS2 is a buggy mess that's stinks of PS4 beta right now....

all this and he comes out a couple of weeks ago to say "we are a PC company",

Would have to read VERY good things about this to even install it - stoped my all access a long time ago now.

(Disclaimer: also a SWG vet, and still cant swallow that travesty).

I have something silly like 3000 hours into PS2 (>2 year old game) and I'll be first to agree it still feels like a beta. Right now it doesn't even feel as finished as it has in the past. The fun times are very fun, but no I wouldn't put myself through a SOE game again.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
29. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 13:01 DG

Bummer, I was ready for a new game to play and this was going to fit the bill nicely. Oh well, better to wait for a decent build. Though if it's still buggy then

Other requirements: Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification

lame

1704 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo