Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1696 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Syndicate Free on Origin
9. Re: Syndicate Free on Origin Mar 4, 2015, 09:45 DG

One of my favourite games of all time.

Thanks for link Blahman, I'll need to keep an eye on that game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:24 DG

I see whiteish (hint of blue) and gold. And that's what the colour is being reproduced on screen. I can tell that what I am seeing is not the original colours, but my eyes aren't automatically correcting - not on a photo like that anyway, they might have if this was part of a picture with more in it and not atrocious quality.

I wouldn't have thought it was that strong a blue and am a bit surprised at the black, but I think this is due to the sheen effect of the material.

News Comments > GTA5 PC Delay
20. Re: GTA5 PC Delay Feb 24, 2015, 13:05 DG

Bummer, I think I'm done with my current main game and the previous March date was looking timely. I'd rather wait than have a buggy mess though I'm not really interested in online for GTA.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 12:45 DG

Not sure what happens in Win8 but it is possible to suspend and unplug the power because some methods (basically) dump ram onto HDD and all it does on "boot" is put it back into RAM. Obviously your BIOS routines still run but the o/s doesn't load fresh.

Speculating, but the keyboard thing might be a deliberate by MS to prevent USB payloads executing before the OS is fully loaded. a USB stick firmware can pretend to be a keyboard in order to bypass security restrictions. I'm guessing this because my kb started being delayed like yours around the time MS released updates targeting USB autorun exploits.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 11, 2015, 12:40 DG

I suspect nobody really "buys" this stuff. Maybe some millionaire contracts "Ultra HiFi" company to install the best system available and that company then buys direct from the manufacturer and charges that invoice on to the customer - later receiving a massive rebate which isn't passed on. If not a rebate then a more literal kick-back.

Contractor and manufacturer conspiring in a fraud. It passes an uncritical inspection because there are these genuine purchase invoices, which probably just show model numbers to be less obvious. Bullshit reviews to add an element of potential credibility and something to bullshit about in court if you do get busted.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
20. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 16:48 DG

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:05:
Good ones, and there are lots of good ones, actually come in and fix things. Have you ever seen the show The Profit? That's a boiled down version of what good ones do.

Sadly, there are also an enormous amount of fleecers.

In this case, it's hard to see immediate advantages someone would have that Sony wouldn't. The good PE firms usually take over something poorly run, or something they have a particular skill at to run better. Here? The only thing that becomes an advantage is that SOE games can now be on more platforms.

Not sure that's good enough to trust.

Yeah, pretty much every startup, or anything making an IPO is financed by private equity. There's a lot of asset strippers and milkers too, so people are right to be wary. Adding to the bad reputation, there's all the companies that have failed then private equity comes in to save it but fails again, which is the final nail and the company closes after that so the equity firm takes the blame even though they just delayed it.

PS2... I don't think anyone would say that game shows signs of good management. Good intentions, great interaction with the community, sure. But that game launched way too early, hasn't developed nearly as much as it should (lots of patches, not so much real content) and has a lot of bugs that get swatted only to reappear a few updates later.

If this is the good kind of PE, it could be the best thing to happen to PS2. The bad kind would be the worst, but at this point I'll take the gamble. I'll be watching for staff leaving though.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2015, 08:00 DG

Not sure Sunday is good for international appeal either. Here in UK I know a couple of people who will be watching, but they're having to take Monday off work.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 27, 2015, 13:58 DG

Parias wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:58:
Wildone wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:34:
This game flat out SUCKS. Unless your in a clan and play 12 hrs a day. Otherwise, forget about it.

Can you explain in more detail? I haven't played the game all that much and was thinking of getting back into it, so I'm curious what exactly you mean.
The game fucking sucks and is fucking awesome. At different times and even at the same time.

I play it far too much and am very reluctant to recommend it.

Don't get me wrong, good times in this game can be fantastic and it can make other games feel mediocre in scope. It's just the good times aren't all that frequent (even when you can read the map very well, know how to get to good fights and how to have a good time at them) and there's a lot of shit that comes with it.

The "new player experience" is pretty much shit unless you happen to fall into a good group of players. They're working on that a bit by having a continent restricted to new accounts so newbies can learn the ropes, but it hasn't happened yet. Anyway, once you get done with that you'll still need to find some decent players to group up with out in the real game.

Once you get into things, it's still questionable. Basically the FPS/TDM element is good for an "MMO" but there really isn't much of an "MMO" right now. As just a team deathmatch game, the netcode is poor (quite a bit is client side), current server lag issues are unforgivable (gone on FAR too long), the vast majority of base designs really aren't very good, the imbalanced populations at fights often ruin them, and shit like mechs and vehicle AoE spam are just retarded in a TDM. Having xp-based unlocks which are straight upgrades don't make any sense in a game that is just a TDM. A lot of this would be part-and-parcel of the MMO thing, but it just isn't there right now.

It's also all on one world so there's no separation of skill levels. Most games, even public servers naturally end up mainly consisting of players of broadly similar skill levels. MMOs with xp-based advantages tend to get separated. Here, if you're bad then you're getting farmed by good players, and if you're good then all these noobs just get in the way and basically destroy any hopes of tactical play.

The F2P thing is done pretty well, the starter weapons are generally competitive all-round and if you acquire a new gun ($$$ or using in-game XP) it's probably going to be better up close but worse at range, or vice-versa. Items are very expensive unless you pick them up in the sales though.

Overall though the whole problem is that is is under-resourced and not very well managed. They don't take the approach that spending some money and having a polished game pays dividends through player retention. It all seems a bit on the cheap and half-assed, which in turn results in high player turnover and the quality of the general player base never really progresses. It's more than two years since release but it doesn't feel like it, not from either the product nor player quality. Shit just go to the game website and see how natty it is, check the player stats etc pages and see all the areas that have been "coming soon" since launch.

But anyways. It's a free game, all it costs to try is some bandwidth and your time. Maybe a lot of the above is the gripes that comes with playing for >2 years. There is fun to be had, and sometimes just watching an epic fight will make you say "wow" out loud. But this could so easily be 10x the game it is.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record
23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Sets FPS Record Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 DG

EVE is an FPS??  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 13:23 DG

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 16:50:
I was under the impression that SOE was pretty good about their ability to stop and remove bots in PS2 by way of hardware-level banning the offenders? Is this not true?

Bit hard to say. On the one hand I can't recall encountering a clear hacker anytime recently, but on the other the nature and features in the game mean they'd probably be fairly hard to spot unless they were being blatant about it.

IIRC some cheat maker did abandon supporting PS2, the anticheat (and frequency of general game updates) will have played a role in that. I assume this is more that keeping the cheat ahead required an amount of work which isn't justified by the level of income they were getting from the game, rather than the anticheat being undefeatable. Second, the nature of PS2 is to accumulate cert points over time so if you're using a cheat to boost that but then losing it to SOE bans (even in infrequent), then there isn't much to gain from cheating unless you're doing it to troll.

There is quite a lot of suspicions about players manipulating their internet connections for an advantage though.

I don't follow H1Z1, but assuming there is importance to character progression then I'd assume SOE should win out but it will take time. It's a war by economic attrition.

News Comments > H1Z1 Early Access This Week
24. Re: H1Z1 Early Access This Week Jan 13, 2015, 13:35 DG

Theo wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 03:15:
kinda beyond playing anything that SOE and Smedley's crew put out now; DCU was great fun, but clearly a console game (the PC UI was awful); PS2 is a buggy mess that's stinks of PS4 beta right now....

all this and he comes out a couple of weeks ago to say "we are a PC company",

Would have to read VERY good things about this to even install it - stoped my all access a long time ago now.

(Disclaimer: also a SWG vet, and still cant swallow that travesty).

I have something silly like 3000 hours into PS2 (>2 year old game) and I'll be first to agree it still feels like a beta. Right now it doesn't even feel as finished as it has in the past. The fun times are very fun, but no I wouldn't put myself through a SOE game again.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
29. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 13:01 DG

Bummer, I was ready for a new game to play and this was going to fit the bill nicely. Oh well, better to wait for a decent build. Though if it's still buggy then

Other requirements: Installation and online play requires log-in to Rockstar Games Social Club (13+) network; internet connection required for activation, online play, and periodic entitlement verification

lame

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2014, 10:17 DG

Wolf is an easy recommendation at 75% (or 66%) off.

It's not a "great" game. Broadly, as someone else said already, it's unambitious but pretty solid at what it does. It's a bit easy, a couple bosses are a bit lame, there's one retarded moment where it's just about "press X to not die" oh and there is/was a bug where if you die and start at a checkpoint it doesn't spawn any pick ups, you have to reload the game. That's a pretty small list of grievances for me.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2014, 04:53 DG

Borderlands Pre-Sequel 50% off, tempted...  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 13:34 DG

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 11:22:
I don't understand why people keep throwing money at this game and I suspect they don't know the reason either.
Because they've already thrown so much money at it.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2014, 17:17 DG

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 16:26:
siapnar wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 14:32:
Finally pulling the trigger on Wolfenstein.

So pumped

Let us know what you think!
I got it a while back, probably 25% sale. I was enjoyable but not as good as I'd read reviews. Gameplay fun but a bit console-ized, especially certain points, like there's a bit in the game where you get pretty much instagibbed unless you reflexively do the game's supposed feature move thing ("press X to not die" type of thing) even though it's probably the one and only time in the game you'll do that move. End boss sucked too.

Oh yeah and there is or was some issue where I respawn in game and it's missing pick ups. So there's this scene where it drops me in extreme shit but I have a go at it, die, have another go but live long enough this time to realise I'm supposed to just hide, wait for an event and run away (run away? Wolfenstein?). That was irritating, but it then drops me in less-extreme shit but oops I spent all my ammo fighting the pretend fight. Respawn, I just have the basic weapon to fight this little horde. I'm a bit stumped on this because up to now the game had been really easy (on medium and I'm not awesome so I suggest just start off on a hard setting), so I go check a youtube vid and they have all these guns etc just lying about. Quit the game and loaded in, lo and behold there's lots of pick ups now and that section suddenly really easy.

It's decent to good maybe 90% of the time and just 10% irritating though, so easy to recommend at 66% off.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
10. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 14:49 DG

watch dogs worth it at that price? I wouldn't be getting the DLC

(2500K @ 4.2 and a 970GTX, 8gb RAM, since I heard it was a bit of a hog)

edit: strange, borderlands pre-sequel listed as -42% sale in my wishlist then -17% on the store page. The price shown on wishlist is 23.19 and on store page 24.89. Odd.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2014, 14:56.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2014, 05:38 DG

Happy birthday Blue  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2014, 12:34 DG

Are there any real must-haves for either console yet? I have a very dusty 360 which I got a handful of games for, one series of which (GTA) I'm happy to wait for PC these days. I might even have missed a Halo.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2014, 13:23 DG

Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:24:
I just hope this movie isn't another love song to Jobs.
Bale seems to like being some sort of antihero, or antivillain. My guess is this'll be a character to root for whilst trying not to notice the numerous signs that he's an asshole.

1696 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo