Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1658 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
12. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 14:31 DG

awwwww yiss.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:27 DG

shopping for a new headset myself, good luck blue all attempts at research were futile for me because reviews say conflicting things. Probably most consistent high scorer were Sennheiser PC360 but they're quite pricey.

Something I did pick up though was that closed-back cans are good for blocking external noise (i.e. for lan parties) but open-back is better for sound quality and not getting too hot. Other thing to watch is some process audio via the usb rather than use your soundcard and the 3.5mm jack.

If you intend to use speakers (headphones are so much better for positioning IMHO) then consider a desk mic (bit of a nuisance as you'll be quiet or loud depending where your head is) or try some designed for call-centre workers rather than gaming.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Announced
35. Re: DirectX 12 Announced Mar 21, 2014, 16:37 DG

Jedi Master wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 19:56:
As for OpenGL, as it's older than D3D, it's interesting that it's not in wider use. Why might that be? I was playing more games in OGL in the 90s than now.
Quake 3 being OGL pushed it pretty hard, that engine was used for a huge number of games. After that, IIRC the OGL group made bad decisions and MS DX made good ones. And then there was the xbox.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 13:58 DG

Feeling a need to say something, anything, on here so...

Recently(ish) I've been noticing a bit of possible artifacting. A little back dot roughly "O" sized can randomly appear, change size a bit and disappear in seconds. I'm only seeing this in Planetside 2 but then that's the only game giving the graphics card any workout.

I have a good case with good cooling, the graphics card fan is left to auto and certainly isn't going near it's maximum speed (which it is capable of doing, occasionally on boot it goes full pelt until windows loads). The fan seems to be set to stop temps exceeding ~80C.

The dots appear infrequently and at random as far as I can tell so not really practical to try and reproduce. Card is running the default which IIRC is very slightly GPU overclocked AMD 6950. I guess it is getting a bit old, probably from early 2011 or so.

Any thoughts if the card is overheating or dying?

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
35. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > $32M Feb 4, 2014, 13:38 DG

And they'll be selling another one once it comes out on PC, assuming it isn't a terrible port. Actually managed to hold off and wait this time.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 F2P Transition Continues
1. Re: PlanetSide 1 F2P Transition Continues Jan 25, 2014, 11:26 DG

This is a follow-up on the proposed changes to subscriptions for SOE/PS2 previously.

The PS2 community voiced their displeasure so they went back to the drawing board with it. The new proposal is basically same as the old except you just have to click to claim your free virtual currency each month, and the subscription for any game now gives you subscription for all games.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 DG

I spend more money overall due to sales and there are very few games I decide to put off in order to save in the sale - I just wouldn't be buying them at all at full price. Anything good enough for full price there is a value in buying on release.

Anyway by the time the 50% sale comes around there is usually some DLC too and the total price ends up a small saving over release. I generally do not buy DLC that comes out after I have completed a single player game, there usually is not sufficient content in DLC to warrant me getting into the game again.

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
20. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 13:07 DG

Any actual $$$ sales figures?  

News Comments > SOE Premium Membership Changes
11. Re: SOE Premium Membership Changes Jan 4, 2014, 20:21 DG

KS wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 15:40:
Are there things that cost more than 2000? Basically, are they stopping people from saving virtual cash for several months to buy "really" good stuff, thus forcing them to pay for it?

Kind of a slap to P2P people.
You're on the right track but going in the wrong direction

The most expensive items in Planetside 2 are 700SC, with the exception of a couple of bling gold versions (functionally identical to a 700SC version) which are 1,000 and a couple of cosmetics. There are also a lot of much cheaper items, not sure on numbers but as an indication on items that matter (weapons) say roughly one third are 250, a third 500 and the rest 700. (I'll note there is no obvious logic for the price differences, there is absolutely no reason to assume a 700SC gun is better or objectively preferred than a 250 one.)

There are some bundles which are north of 2,000 sure but bundles are excluded from the voucher.

So basically, there is a limited number of 700 and 500 SC items and no reason to assume you'd want them over the cheaper versions anyway. Whilst you can now get a 700SC item each month whereas before it would take a month and a half, you're going to stop winning against the old 500SC grant pretty quickly into your sub.

But, haha, the base price is besides the point anyway. Every day there are 2 items on sale - historically half price, but recently this changed to be about 1/3 off. AFAIK everything turns up in the sale rotations eventually. There are also some bundles which are much better value - sometimes even better than a 50% sale price - and bundles are excluded from the "up to 2000SC" coupon. There can also be one-off sales over holidays or whatever, with entire ranges on sale or even cheaper.

Provided you are patient, the average price is (or was) far lower than base. I have just about everything for my main faction (and a some for alts) and with the exception of the first item, I never paid any more than 350SC and the average was probably around 250.

The best part of all this is it is most likely just an example of how incompetent they are. They probably actually think it is a better deal. If you don't actually think it through, if you are bit short on smarts, it is easy to see it as a better deal. If you only take a short subs and play casually it may well turn out better.

Their intentions for the change is likely that someone realised that they are giving player studio (fan made) content creators 40% of the sales price but everyone gets the SC in the sub or when SC is on sale. Oops! There is probably also some internal shit regarding subscribers for one game using the SC on a different one.

This incompetence runs right through the game at every level. Man, fuck me this game can be awesome. EPIC. But SOE do not seem to know what they are doing. Every update there's some incredible disaster proving there is no QA. Balance changes are probably done on a spreadsheet by some intern using bad data; I'll still say they fuck it up from incompetence and not bait-and-switch shit to get you to buy different gear, or pay to beta test for PlayStation4, but I've given a ton of goodwill towards that and it is wearing thin to say the least. The game is supposed to be on some 3 year development but 14 months in we've got one new vehicle, a bunch of weapons and cosmetics (to buy), and the rest has been a lot of fixing. Well, we got the "alert" sub-game but this is a band-aid for the lack of meta and continent-locking which is coming eventually.

I could go on and on but I've written a wall of text and probably put anyone off the game already.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 20:28.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
33. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 13:51 DG

I wonder if they are shorting...  

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
63. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 14, 2013, 08:24 DG

boo, might have gotten around to playing if I could have left them in the list there. Oh well thanks  

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
61. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 DG

Does this give keys I can unlock via steam?  

News Comments > Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release
6. Re: Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release Dec 12, 2013, 13:08 DG

I'd guess it is due to a lack of QA and support resource at Acti.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2013, 12:37 DG

All the best going forward Blue.

Civ V: Brave New World, is this worth it on the 66% sale and worth getting back into Civ for? I played V loads but got tired of it, got G&K a while back but haven't gotten around to playing that yet.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Peggle 2 gets release date and price for Xbox One. Dec 2, 2013, 12:30 DG

John wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 10:41:
nin wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 10:10:
Meanwhile, in Germany...

Is that for real?! It looks like Black Friday at Walmart!
Looked to me like there was already a bunch of people casually shopping in there and then probably a group of friends decided to rush in for whatever reason

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
75. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 DG

Confused about this - there's a lot of people really looking forward to this game but I can't fathom how it is possible to have $1,000 ships which can be both value for money and reasonably balanced for everyone else?

121. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 13:13 DG

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Nov 22, 2013, 06:27 DG

yuastnav wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 08:44:
Why couldn't they have done the double xp weekend during the christmas holidays or something.

I don't have time.
it is the anniversary of launch. I suspect there will be another over the Christmas holidays.

That said, every time I look forward to double xp then when it happens I wish it wasnt. Everything had been pretty good the last week or so with the performance update and some players back etc, but with double xp the servers are full (players are logging in and finding themselves in the training zone with queues to get onto the continents) and tbh the servers cant really cope properly with the load.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP
2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Nov 21, 2013, 07:09 DG

Yeah they did a huge optimisation update last week which has boosted FPS substantially (and they still have a bit more to come). It has actually changed the dynamic a bit even for those of us with decent FPS previously, as now all players have sufficient FPS for playing competently. Helps that active player numbers are back up too.

Had a lot of fun with this game. They did release much too early, the idea was to release the core and progressively add content but the last year has been about fixing/improving the core and tweaking balance etc with very little content of substance.

They have been working on new continents and they have been used on special servers for organised events, so I am optimistic that the game is about where it should have been at launch and the next year will be content driven.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta
9. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers add ShadowPlay Beta Nov 19, 2013, 12:32 DG

I'll admit shadowplay is an attractive feature that might well affect my next upgrade, even though I've never uploaded to youtube or anything.  

1658 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo