Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1682 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2014, 13:34 DG

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 11:22:
I don't understand why people keep throwing money at this game and I suspect they don't know the reason either.
Because they've already thrown so much money at it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2014, 17:17 DG

nin wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 16:26:
siapnar wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 14:32:
Finally pulling the trigger on Wolfenstein.

So pumped

Let us know what you think!
I got it a while back, probably 25% sale. I was enjoyable but not as good as I'd read reviews. Gameplay fun but a bit console-ized, especially certain points, like there's a bit in the game where you get pretty much instagibbed unless you reflexively do the game's supposed feature move thing ("press X to not die" type of thing) even though it's probably the one and only time in the game you'll do that move. End boss sucked too.

Oh yeah and there is or was some issue where I respawn in game and it's missing pick ups. So there's this scene where it drops me in extreme shit but I have a go at it, die, have another go but live long enough this time to realise I'm supposed to just hide, wait for an event and run away (run away? Wolfenstein?). That was irritating, but it then drops me in less-extreme shit but oops I spent all my ammo fighting the pretend fight. Respawn, I just have the basic weapon to fight this little horde. I'm a bit stumped on this because up to now the game had been really easy (on medium and I'm not awesome so I suggest just start off on a hard setting), so I go check a youtube vid and they have all these guns etc just lying about. Quit the game and loaded in, lo and behold there's lots of pick ups now and that section suddenly really easy.

It's decent to good maybe 90% of the time and just 10% irritating though, so easy to recommend at 66% off.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
10. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 26, 2014, 14:49 DG

watch dogs worth it at that price? I wouldn't be getting the DLC

(2500K @ 4.2 and a 970GTX, 8gb RAM, since I heard it was a bit of a hog)

edit: strange, borderlands pre-sequel listed as -42% sale in my wishlist then -17% on the store page. The price shown on wishlist is 23.19 and on store page 24.89. Odd.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2014, 14:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2014, 05:38 DG

Happy birthday Blue  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 3, 2014, 12:34 DG

Are there any real must-haves for either console yet? I have a very dusty 360 which I got a handful of games for, one series of which (GTA) I'm happy to wait for PC these days. I might even have missed a Halo.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2014, 13:23 DG

Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:24:
I just hope this movie isn't another love song to Jobs.
Bale seems to like being some sort of antihero, or antivillain. My guess is this'll be a character to root for whilst trying not to notice the numerous signs that he's an asshole.

News Comments > Play Civilization V Free This Week
20. Re: Bah! Oct 21, 2014, 13:01 DG

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 08:50:
Eh, I liked Civ 5 except for the late stages. In every Civ game I have to colonize the entire planet on the largest map size. Unfortunately the game engine is a real dog compared to all previous releases. Loading times extend into several minutes and turns take forever. They clearly designed it for shorter playthroughs and smaller maps. I have 16GB of RAM and this shouldn't be an issue. Except it is and it's a common one.

Unless I hear they significantly optimized Beyond Earth I'll wait for a sale.
Hmm, my AI turns don't take long? Not after turning off some of the options to watch things anyway. I generally don't set my units to travel a distance that is mor than one turn though, that does take quite a bit of time because they go one-by-one and you can get interruptions requiring player input. 2500k@4.2ghz with 8gb ram.

News Comments > Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released
22. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 17, 2014, 12:59 DG

I have both these games. Made a start into the first recently and it does seem a good game but I get annoyed with mechanics that are primarily about fighting with the controller.

Just loaded Steam and it has a 1.3gb update - quite large for a 2.3gb game...

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
10. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 13:00 DG

Waiting on this one. Enjoyed the previous 2, especially the first, but it doesn't sound like full-size full-new game.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2014, 16:47 DG

So I just got a GTX970 and it's coming to me tomorrow, any suggestions of a game I could get to justify it? I'm thinking a shooter, finally got around to installing Rage today, not played it yet but hmm. Finished Wolfenstein recently...  

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
9. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 30, 2014, 16:32 DG

I've had lots of cards over the years from lots of manufacturers and designers - even from before ATI & Nvidia (off my lawn etc).

Never had any reason to say one is better than the other (though they're both a lot better than what there was before, maybe a lot of that due to standards like DirectX).

Currently waiting on delivery of a GTX 970, hopefully have it by the weekend. This 6850 was a pretty good buy but a bit long in the tooth now and the 970 looked like a good deal.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
59. Re: New GeForce GPUs & Drivers Sep 20, 2014, 08:04 DG

Hmm, my ATI6850 has served me well and continues to be viable for working my way though my Steam back catalogue, but... but.. I've had more than my money's worth and I'm due an upgrade, or something

980 or 970? 970 at a glance appears a lot better value and an amount I'm comfortable throwing down (its $450 v ~$770 here in UK). That said a faster card can be more enjoyable for a longer time so can, like expensive shoes, be argued better value over the long term (in some respects). I'd be pairing it with a 2500K at 4.2ghz, also aged but cpus don't seem to have come on much.

I think I'm leaning towards the 970.

Hmm I might have to check my PSU power connectors, current card only required a single 6 pin.

Oh and crap, how is it these days for swapping cards whithout doing an OS reinstall? That would be really quite a nuisance.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
61. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 13:53 DG

Congratulations Notch  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
76. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 13, 2014, 05:33 DG

After xmas, bummer I have 2 weeks off then, January is way too early to start eating into my 2015 holiday time.

Still pre-ordering though.

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
10. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 08:44 DG

Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:23:
Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary?
It used to be common for a publisher to give a distributor a region and that distributor sets the price for that region. Distributors selling into each other's territories is verboten. So you had many publishers which could result in a a competitive market, but aha you only have a few distributors (which the publishers had good power over) in each region so this resulted in effective oligopoly, removing price competition and enabling regional price discrimination. This is hugely important in the game, movie and music business and was/is why they had/have a huge problem with selling downloads.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus
9. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus Aug 21, 2014, 14:34 DG

Hmm, I should wait for the sale. I have so many games unplayed already and Civ games always get a lot better with patches - moreso with expansions.

But it's Civ...

edit: and it's 25% pre purchase, hmm Civ games usually take a long time to get sales higher than that IIRC.

edit2: 25% off a 40 price when Amazon sell for <30 anyway...

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2014, 13:00.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2014, 12:49 DG

Loved that game, even remember some of the names - Jools & Jops.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 14:17 DG

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:44:
Animals should be in the wild nature. I imagine if we asked a pet what it would prefer, it would want its freedom; if it had the chance to experience both captivity and the wild. Unfortunately, an animal is incapable of communicating that fact. I have had pets in the past and loved them. But in retrospect, they should have been running in the wild. If you find my opinion offensive, put the situation in reverse: Can you honestly say you would prefer to be a pet?
it's not pet or wild situation, it's pet or never born.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2014, 17:26 DG

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:17:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:38:
Cool by the Rockstar guy to preserve the church building.

I somehow doubt that he's that altruistic. I went once with my bro and his wife when they were house shopping and we went to look at a church that had been converted into a house, it was actually really cool.

It's widely reported here in Edinburgh that he has indeed covenanted it to a charitable trust. He'll be getting 40% of the money back in the form of a reduced tax bill though.

500k sounds like a very low price, that kind of money gets you an unimpressive 3 bed flat in that area. Possible the seller, Church of Scotland, accepted a lower bid due to it being put to charitable use. That or the 500k was pulled out of a reporter's backside.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Conspiracy! DLC Released
2. Re: Watch Dogs Conspiracy! DLC Released Jun 5, 2014, 13:45 DG

I'm doing likewise  

1682 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo