Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dave Something

Real Name Dave Something   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DG
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 12, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1671 (Pro)
User ID 14793

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
59. Re: New GeForce GPUs & Drivers Sep 20, 2014, 08:04 DG

Hmm, my ATI6850 has served me well and continues to be viable for working my way though my Steam back catalogue, but... but.. I've had more than my money's worth and I'm due an upgrade, or something

980 or 970? 970 at a glance appears a lot better value and an amount I'm comfortable throwing down (its $450 v ~$770 here in UK). That said a faster card can be more enjoyable for a longer time so can, like expensive shoes, be argued better value over the long term (in some respects). I'd be pairing it with a 2500K at 4.2ghz, also aged but cpus don't seem to have come on much.

I think I'm leaning towards the 970.

Hmm I might have to check my PSU power connectors, current card only required a single 6 pin.

Oh and crap, how is it these days for swapping cards whithout doing an OS reinstall? That would be really quite a nuisance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
61. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 13:53 DG

Congratulations Notch  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
76. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 13, 2014, 05:33 DG

After xmas, bummer I have 2 weeks off then, January is way too early to start eating into my 2015 holiday time.

Still pre-ordering though.

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
10. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 08:44 DG

Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:23:
Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary?
It used to be common for a publisher to give a distributor a region and that distributor sets the price for that region. Distributors selling into each other's territories is verboten. So you had many publishers which could result in a a competitive market, but aha you only have a few distributors (which the publishers had good power over) in each region so this resulted in effective oligopoly, removing price competition and enabling regional price discrimination. This is hugely important in the game, movie and music business and was/is why they had/have a huge problem with selling downloads.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus
9. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus Aug 21, 2014, 14:34 DG

Hmm, I should wait for the sale. I have so many games unplayed already and Civ games always get a lot better with patches - moreso with expansions.

But it's Civ...

edit: and it's 25% pre purchase, hmm Civ games usually take a long time to get sales higher than that IIRC.

edit2: 25% off a 40 price when Amazon sell for <30 anyway...

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2014, 13:00.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 21, 2014, 12:49 DG

Loved that game, even remember some of the names - Jools & Jops.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 14:17 DG

BobBob wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:44:
Animals should be in the wild nature. I imagine if we asked a pet what it would prefer, it would want its freedom; if it had the chance to experience both captivity and the wild. Unfortunately, an animal is incapable of communicating that fact. I have had pets in the past and loved them. But in retrospect, they should have been running in the wild. If you find my opinion offensive, put the situation in reverse: Can you honestly say you would prefer to be a pet?
it's not pet or wild situation, it's pet or never born.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2014, 17:26 DG

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:17:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:38:
Cool by the Rockstar guy to preserve the church building.

I somehow doubt that he's that altruistic. I went once with my bro and his wife when they were house shopping and we went to look at a church that had been converted into a house, it was actually really cool.

It's widely reported here in Edinburgh that he has indeed covenanted it to a charitable trust. He'll be getting 40% of the money back in the form of a reduced tax bill though.

500k sounds like a very low price, that kind of money gets you an unimpressive 3 bed flat in that area. Possible the seller, Church of Scotland, accepted a lower bid due to it being put to charitable use. That or the 500k was pulled out of a reporter's backside.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Conspiracy! DLC Released
2. Re: Watch Dogs Conspiracy! DLC Released Jun 5, 2014, 13:45 DG

I'm doing likewise  

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
1. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 12:24 DG

edit: nvm saw the trailer thread and thought it was ships ahoy

I've been busy with work, how are you guys rating Watch Dogs? A must-buy on (ok, around) release or wait for sales?

I could probably do with something just now. Still have list of unplayed games as long as my arm on Steam but nothing that particularly draws me to it.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2014, 12:48.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2014, 13:42 DG

I've always preferred subtitles to re-dubbed films, with some exceptions.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
39. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 05:29 DG

TangledThorns wrote on May 2, 2014, 09:11:
The single player looks fun but I remember Return to Castle Wolfenstein had amazing multiplayer. I was playing the Beach map all day long!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-KEyPqOT6s
Best MP game evar

News Comments > SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ
23. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 12:12 DG

The concept I probably kinda like, but I'm not going SOE again after Planetside2.

The latter I have an absurd amount of hours in and some great times in what can be a really fun game once you figure out what you are doing and can take the game for what it is. But the development side is amateurish at best - probably not the actual workers but the management. It has a ton of work left to do on the roadmap which seems to perpetually fall behind yet some of the most popular names are being pulled over to H1Z1.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
12. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 14:31 DG

awwwww yiss.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:27 DG

shopping for a new headset myself, good luck blue all attempts at research were futile for me because reviews say conflicting things. Probably most consistent high scorer were Sennheiser PC360 but they're quite pricey.

Something I did pick up though was that closed-back cans are good for blocking external noise (i.e. for lan parties) but open-back is better for sound quality and not getting too hot. Other thing to watch is some process audio via the usb rather than use your soundcard and the 3.5mm jack.

If you intend to use speakers (headphones are so much better for positioning IMHO) then consider a desk mic (bit of a nuisance as you'll be quiet or loud depending where your head is) or try some designed for call-centre workers rather than gaming.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Announced
35. Re: DirectX 12 Announced Mar 21, 2014, 16:37 DG

Jedi Master wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 19:56:
As for OpenGL, as it's older than D3D, it's interesting that it's not in wider use. Why might that be? I was playing more games in OGL in the 90s than now.
Quake 3 being OGL pushed it pretty hard, that engine was used for a huge number of games. After that, IIRC the OGL group made bad decisions and MS DX made good ones. And then there was the xbox.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 13:58 DG

Feeling a need to say something, anything, on here so...

Recently(ish) I've been noticing a bit of possible artifacting. A little back dot roughly "O" sized can randomly appear, change size a bit and disappear in seconds. I'm only seeing this in Planetside 2 but then that's the only game giving the graphics card any workout.

I have a good case with good cooling, the graphics card fan is left to auto and certainly isn't going near it's maximum speed (which it is capable of doing, occasionally on boot it goes full pelt until windows loads). The fan seems to be set to stop temps exceeding ~80C.

The dots appear infrequently and at random as far as I can tell so not really practical to try and reproduce. Card is running the default which IIRC is very slightly GPU overclocked AMD 6950. I guess it is getting a bit old, probably from early 2011 or so.

Any thoughts if the card is overheating or dying?

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
35. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > $32M Feb 4, 2014, 13:38 DG

And they'll be selling another one once it comes out on PC, assuming it isn't a terrible port. Actually managed to hold off and wait this time.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 F2P Transition Continues
1. Re: PlanetSide 1 F2P Transition Continues Jan 25, 2014, 11:26 DG

This is a follow-up on the proposed changes to subscriptions for SOE/PS2 previously.

The PS2 community voiced their displeasure so they went back to the drawing board with it. The new proposal is basically same as the old except you just have to click to claim your free virtual currency each month, and the subscription for any game now gives you subscription for all games.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 DG

I spend more money overall due to sales and there are very few games I decide to put off in order to save in the sale - I just wouldn't be buying them at all at full price. Anything good enough for full price there is a value in buying on release.

Anyway by the time the 50% sale comes around there is usually some DLC too and the total price ends up a small saving over release. I generally do not buy DLC that comes out after I have completed a single player game, there usually is not sufficient content in DLC to warrant me getting into the game again.

1671 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo