Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Smellfinger

Real Name Smellfinger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Smellfinger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 16, 2002, 17:15
Total Comments 364 (Amateur)
User ID 14428

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013
56. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 16:12 Smellfinger

InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 06:38:
The point of my original post was to illustrate how far Blizzard has fallen. I own all of their games to date (apart from the expansions to World of Warcraft). I am now WILLING to pirate their shit even though I dont bother pirating shit anymore.

Im definitely not BUYING another Blizzard game after the slap in the face that was Diablo3, not unless they change their ways but I dont see that happening ever. I actually liked SC2 at least for the single-player and the story, and was looking forward to the expansions but I refuse to give them my money anymore.

A lot of people pirate shit but they feign righteous indignation if you mention it on a video game forum.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2012, 14:52 Smellfinger

Online anonymity isn't 'nearly impossible' as long as the broad you're banging doesn't send e-mail from your shared unencrypted Gmail account to some other broad warning her not to bang you.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RIFT: Storm Legion
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - RIFT: Storm Legion Nov 13, 2012, 11:24 Smellfinger

Highly anticipated by who?  

News Comments > Valve Confirms New Engine?
35. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 14:47 Smellfinger

descender wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 14:10:
It runs on everything, I was able to play L4D2 on an athlon 2700+ and a ati 3850. Think about that for a second.

Yep, I ran L4D2 on a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and ATI x1600 for a little while and it was more than playable. Source seems to be the only modern engine that doesn't look like complete shit when you turn down the eye candy.

News Comments > Valve Confirms New Engine?
20. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 12:48 Smellfinger

ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:43:
I'll go with the crowd. Terrible/Frequent loading times.
I mean you have Skyrim, which is an open world with no invisible walls, looks amazing and loads instantly VS hl2, which, is a video game.

Open world RPGs can hide load times beneath a thick layer of filler scenery, which Half-Life 2 didn't have. I'd rather have load times if it means a more concise and focused experience.

News Comments > Descent Fan Remake
10. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 20:03 Smellfinger

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Nah, Descent has held up every bit as well as Doom. The formula is still fresh today since it never caught on and nobody bothered to refine it. Forsaken is the closest thing there is to a Descent clone and it came out a decade and a half ago.

News Comments > One More "Defining" Game for Molyneux
33. Re: One More Nov 11, 2012, 10:34 Smellfinger

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 05:49:
Carmack is an "irreverent one hit wonder"... what?

A more accurate description of Carmack and Romero would be 'talented developers who defined a genre but haven't produced anything of relevance since the 1990s'. Molyneux falls under the same description, more or less.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Foxconn Sees New Source Of Cheap Labor: The United States Nov 9, 2012, 14:36 Smellfinger

“cites such as Detroit and Los Angeles.”

No comment.

News Comments > Diablo III Bans
21. Re: Diablo III Bans Nov 9, 2012, 14:31 Smellfinger

Fuck those losers.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 9, 2012, 13:41 Smellfinger

The DMCA has allowed corporations to censor the internet since the late '90s. When is America going to be sanctioned?  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney
17. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 18:21 Smellfinger

ASeven wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 15:40:
Worst community since DOTA? You gotta be shitting me, the community is one of the best out there.

Totally serious. The commander mechanic attracts nerdrage the likes of which I haven't seen since DOTA.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney
11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 14:40 Smellfinger

Concise NS2 Review: Good game, worst community since DOTA.  

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
86. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 18:11 Smellfinger

PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:52:
Regenerating health completely removes risk from the game.

Not if the game is designed around the mechanic like Halo was.

As it is often combined with liberal use of checkpoints, there's absolutely no tension in combat.

Quicksaves do far more to destroy tension than a properly implemented checkpoint system and they have been a mainstay of PC gaming for over two decades.

84. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 17:56 Smellfinger

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:16:
I'm still failing to see how that in practice is any different from health packs.

It's a frivolous nitpick that has turned into a meme among anal retentive PC diehards.

74. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 13:32 Smellfinger

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:32:
What? There were tons of shooters that threw more than two enemies at you. Doom, for example.

Which is why I compared it to Doom. You read my post incorrectly.

After first-person shooters made the jump to fully polygonal 3D, monster swarms disappeared - probably for performance and pacing reasons. Halo (and Serious Sam) brought them back, which is something that most people forget. Halo's single player combat was much larger in scale than the Quake-style corridor shooters that dominated the market in the late '90s.

61. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 09:42 Smellfinger

The original Halo was an excellent FPS, console or otherwise. I viewed it as an extension of Doom, at least in terms of combat, since it was the only FPS at the time that threw more than a couple enemies at you. Serious Sam was at the Robotron/Smash TV end of the Doom spectrum and Halo was the more tactical variant. Well, at least until the Flood levels. Then it was Smash TV.

The checkpoint-based gameplay reminded me of classic games like R-Type and Ghouls 'n Ghosts, where you had to play the same stretch of screen for hours before you totally mastered it and moved on to the next area. Halo on Legendary was brutal - much harder than any of the sequels.

There are plenty of PC FPSs from that era that deserve far more scorn than Halo.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 Smellfinger

It's about time someone puts the old horse out of its misery.  

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend
19. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 10:23 Smellfinger

GO isn't bad but I'll go to my grave saying that Soldier of Fortune 2 was the high water mark for this kind of shooter.  

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
56. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 31, 2012, 13:21 Smellfinger

I think Valve's intentions are clear. They want to mitigate the impact of Microsoft's DRM scheme on their DRM scheme. If Linux finally becomes a threat to Windows as a byproduct of corporate warfare, then I'll be more than happy.  

News Comments > Valve on Linux Plans
51. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 Smellfinger

I don't know about Vista or Windows 7, but Ubuntu is easier to install and have running than Windows XP. The only real downside to Linux at this point is that commercial developers don't support it. This is where Valve steps in. If they can somehow streamline the porting process, we might not only see games but popular apps like Photoshop with native Linux support via Steam as well.  

364 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo