Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Smellfinger

Real Name Smellfinger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Smellfinger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 16, 2002, 17:15
Total Comments 361 (Amateur)
User ID 14428

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
37. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 19:51 Smellfinger

This industry was much healthier when there was a thick wall of separation between the creators and the consumers.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2013, 14:28 Smellfinger

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 13:48:
Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 11:16:
But it's not, it's revenue and it should be taxed.

And then spent on shit not needed.

You mean like video games?

News Comments > New Super Street Fighter 4 Characters Next Year
6. Re: New Super Street Fighter 4 Characters Next Year Jul 14, 2013, 18:36 Smellfinger

born2expire wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 18:05:
how is that any different than SF3? That IS Street Fighter. SUre the parry system was a lot better/deeper than the focus system but those are the cards Capcom dealt us.

3S had a universal system mechanic (quick rise roll) in place that prevented the kind of knockdown loops that I just explained. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but unlike SF4 the focus was almost entirely on the neutral game, as flawed as it was.

3. Re: New Super Street Fighter 4 Characters Next Year Jul 14, 2013, 14:54 Smellfinger

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 14:12:
In what ways is it broken?

The neutral game (what takes place when two characters are standing up, the bread and butter of a traditional Street Fighter game) is so badly implemented in SF4 that it has devolved into a game of who can score a hard knockdown first and robotically apply ambiguous setups that lead to another knockdown, ad infinitum. These setups often involve making your opponent blindly guess so you end up having matches that are more a roll of the dice than a test of skill. There are a bunch of reasons why this is the case and they can only be addressed if Capcom is willing to make significant changes to the game engine. Character tweaks won't fix the problem.

1. Re: New Super Street Fighter 4 Characters Next Year Jul 14, 2013, 13:51 Smellfinger

The 'new' characters and stages are from SFxT. They're recycling content from a failed game to recoup development costs.

I'll still buy it if they fix the netcode and make some changes to the fighting engine. SF4 is fundamentally broken, but it's not beyond the point of repair like SFxT.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
14. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2013, 12:34 Smellfinger

Any programmer who writes a program that pretends to be a 14-year-old girl is undoubtedly even creepier than the perverts who chat with it.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
7. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 12:33 Smellfinger

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:11:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre.

I don't know what kind of numbers Dota 2 is pulling, but that seems like the general consensus among everyone except the diehards who have been playing this type of game for years. I'm usually able to see the appeal of genres that I don't enjoy, but the MOBA craze totally baffles me. All I can figure is that it appeals to people who like the RTS concept but aren't good enough to play a traditional RTS and feel that 1v1 Starcraft is more stressful than a team-based game like Dota, where they can place blame on other people for their losses.

News Comments > Dota 2 Leaves Beta [Updated]
16. Re: Dota 2 Leaves and Returns to Beta Jul 10, 2013, 07:51 Smellfinger

Fantaz wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 02:33:
So is this worth me getting into it now with my buddies? Or will us noobs just be called names, be royally humiliated and simply just not enjoy it?

It's not so much that the people who play it are worse than the people who play other competitive games. It's that you're trapped with them for 40 minutes in a game that is basically over at the 20 minute mark. Having to spend the last half of the game getting stomped with no way to concede defeat is what generates the most nerd rage.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 07:31 Smellfinger

I don't play TF2 anymore (item drops and the crafting system ruined the game for me) but I'm glad it's still going strong since it's the only arcade shooter around. Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.  

News Comments > Unannounced Epic Game Revealed
4. Re: Unannounced Epic Game Revealed Jul 5, 2013, 11:28 Smellfinger

Riker wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 10:31:
Speaking of Epic, what the hell is Id up to these days?

Fleecing Bethesda one final time before handing over their IPs.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2013, 07:54 Smellfinger

Jensen wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 02:48:
That's a dumb distinction. Time=Money.

Time tends to equal too much money in this bloated and decadent industry.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 11:25 Smellfinger

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 17:02:
What monopoly? In America there are plenty of choices (though they all pretty much suck balls)

I live in a major city and I have two choices: AT&T or Comcast. I haven't had anything resembling choice since the days of dial-up.

News Comments > Todd Hollenshead Leaves id
32. Re: Todd Hollenshead Leaves id Jun 27, 2013, 20:49 Smellfinger

It's a shame that Tim Willits became lead designer of id Software by virtue of the fact that he was the last one standing. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

id has nothing to offer anymore. They were able to fall back on Carmack's technology until Doom 3, but the industry caught up and used similar tech to create better games.

Best case scenario, id implodes after squeezing out Doom 4 and Carmack and Romero start an indie devoted entirely to old-school FPS design.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2013, 08:18 Smellfinger

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 04:34:
And even if a given law passes the Constitution, if a program is secret, then we can not have a discussion about its merits vs. its downsides or potential for abuse.

I don't hold the Constitution in high regard since it's the reason we're living under this federal monstrosity. If we had stayed with the Articles of Confederation, it would have been harder for the political class to consolidate its power and eviscerate what little freedom we had in the first place.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 25, 2013, 08:04 Smellfinger

shihonage wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 05:43:
I used to like Carmack but 2003 was the end of id.

Doom 3 was the final nail in the final coffin, but I think they died after John Romero and Sandy Peterson left. Tim Willits just couldn't make levels like those guys.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
37. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 22, 2013, 07:50 Smellfinger

NKD wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 01:36:
CliffyB is right about one thing: More tacked on multiplayer to "justify" online requirements and DLC rape is coming. If they can't get their money by killing used game sales, they'll find it somewhere else.

But that was going to happen regardless of Microsoft's used game policy.

News Comments > Dota 2 This Summer
9. Re: Dota 2 This Summer Jun 17, 2013, 13:42 Smellfinger

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:24:
People blah blah about the community but it's really no worse than other online communities, I found BF3s pub-stomping community to be infinitely worse.

MOBAs magnify horrific behavior by not allowing you to leave without being penalized. In Dota, you either play with assholes or you leave enough games and get put in a separate queue with even more assholes. The forced intimacy is what turns a lot of people off, myself included.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
22. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 18:27 Smellfinger

KS wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 18:07:
Why the bleem do games even have checkpoints anymore?

Probably to ensure a certain level of difficulty. Quicksaves totally sap games of any challenge.

News Comments > PC Destiny Talk
26. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 17:52 Smellfinger

ItBurn wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:28:
I'm in the Halo sucks category.

If you think Halo sucks, I can only imagine what you consider a good single player FPS.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 4, 2013, 11:39 Smellfinger

Israel can kvetch all it wants, but it will eventually be forced to end apartheid and allow arabs to become Israeli citizens. It's only a matter of time.  

361 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo