Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Smellfinger

Real Name Smellfinger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Smellfinger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 16, 2002, 17:15
Total Comments 361 (Amateur)
User ID 14428

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
7. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 13:33 Smellfinger

Verno wrote on May 28, 2012, 13:21:
Yeah, definitely mixed messages there. The whole progression curve is really off in general when it comes to player skills. Most builds and skills work well on Normal/Nightmare but in the later parts of Hell/Inferno there are only a few specific builds with slight variations that work for each class. It goes from being preference to viability in a real hurry.

Sounds more like end game WoW than Diablo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Game Announcement This Week
4. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 28, 2012, 13:30 Smellfinger

Only a TOR expansion will satisfy my smug cynicism. I crave spectacular creative and corporate failure.  

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
3. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 13:01 Smellfinger

After watching co-workers play the last couple WoW expansions, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, I'm wondering how much of the old Blizzard is still intact. These games are completely lacking that old Blizzard charm.  

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
65. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 25, 2012, 02:43 Smellfinger

RollinThundr wrote on May 25, 2012, 00:38:
Who do you think create jobs?

People who need something and have the money to pay for it.

Small business owners who are often in that 1% you libs hate so much or the government who can't manage one single thing without fucking it up?

Business owners don't create jobs. They provide a service for job creators. They often hire people to help them provide that service, but they aren't job creators.

Your grasp of capitalism is weak. Throw those Ayn Rand books away because they haven't done you any good.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
57. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:11 Smellfinger

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2012, 14:34:
And 6.3 million people have just helped to seriously erode consumer rights once more. And people wonder why I have no faith in the species.

You need to take a more nihilistic view of the situation. If the average gamer doesn't mind eating a shit sandwich, why feed them anything other than shit? Let them wallow in their own stink. You might end up having to walk away from one of your hobbies, but at least you'll walk away with your dignity intact.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 22, 2012, 20:01 Smellfinger

Rich assholes vs. rich assholes: Whoever wins, we all lose.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:53 Smellfinger

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.

Yeah, he should be hoping that they keep their jobs so they can continue to produce garbage. The video game industry is in desperate need of MMO shovelware like The Old Republic.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 01:25 Smellfinger

zirik wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:27:
microsoft can have bungie. they ran out of original ideas a long time ago. halo just keeps rehashing marathon story about rampant AI against alien race who poses powers that can destroy planetary systems.

Bungie is one of the more painful casualties of this generation. I really enjoyed everything they did up to and including the original Halo. I still think that Myth was the perfect RTS. The multiplayer was WAY ahead of its time. It was more robust than Starcraft, which it predated by almost a year.

News Comments > DmC Runs to PCs Next Year
10. Re: DmC Runs to PCs Next Year May 22, 2012, 01:06 Smellfinger

Fantaz wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:00:
Well this time it's not the same guys who did DMC4, but Ninja Theory is working on this one. Dante now looks like some emo kid, and they seem to be catering to the small group of emo/goth followers... they completely lost touch with what the style was of the original game. I spoke with the original Dante voice actor, Capcom never wanted him back because they wanted to go with someone cheaper. They just contract out cheaper developers now to make sequels because they simply don't care. That mentality is going to show in the products they produce... and it will suck.

Keiji Inafune blew the whistle on Capcom after he left. When you have 700 faceless and expendable salarymen toiling away on their little piece of a project with no regard to what everyone else is doing and no stake in the success of failure of a project, the end result is inevitably going to be mediocre. It doesn't really matter if they farm out their franchises to cut-rate developers because their in-house development is no better.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs May 20, 2012, 19:23 Smellfinger

Fantaz wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:54:
Something seems to be very very wrong at Capcom lately...

They're pretty normal as far as Japanese corporations go. Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world and most of them are work related. Strange culture.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots
2. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 17, 2012, 21:28 Smellfinger

Epic is good at hiding advanced technology under a thick layer of UGLY. As usual, someone else will have to do something interesting with their engine.  

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
33. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 15, 2012, 23:49 Smellfinger

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:05:
What I find appalling is all the hypocrisy with people buying this crap after all the shit they gave Ubisoft. So apparently it online DRM is ok...so long as it's a game you really, really want, otherwise they're just greedy corporte whores.
You expect gamers to have impulse control?

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
1. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 21:26 Smellfinger

"The state said its backing would help the company bring hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars of tax revenue to the state."

Mediocre video game development is going to stimulate the economy!

...or not.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
28. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 00:07 Smellfinger

LED significantly lowered the image quality gap, but I still prefer plasma for a couple of fairly superficial reasons: 1. It's cheaper and 2. I like glass screens because they're easier to clean and almost impervious to scratching. I could survive in a plasma-free world, though.  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 11, 2012, 12:58 Smellfinger

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:19:
What if I just stopped buying games? No, I don't mean switching to exclusively pirating them. I mean just stopped being a customer altogether.

I know that I would find a new hobby or devote more time to a preexisting one but I don't think it would do anything positive to change this behavior of "stick it to the customer at all costs".

Perhaps the only real solution is piracy,

Piracy is the only thing keeping developers and publishers somewhat in check. They already treat their customers like dirt so imagine what it would be like if the threat of piracy was taken completely off the table. If the next generation consoles end up going the always-on internet connection/digital distribution/cloud gaming route, it's all over but the crying. Video games companies can't be trusted with that kind of power.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
47. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 20:20 Smellfinger

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 19:01:
That picture, which people keep throwing up, is mostly idiotic, anyway. Does anyone really want to say that Doom, which was all flat, visible polygons and required criss-crossing back and forth over the same level with new monster closets opening up every time you find a new keycard, was really superior to most of what we have today?

HELL YEAH!

I may have loved running up and down every wall hitting space trying to find secrets when I was 13, but I'm pretty happy to have something that pays attention to plot and pacing now. Yes, CoD does neither, no, not every game is CoD.

Plot = Third rate wanna-be Hollywood garbage.

Pacing = Lets script the shit out of this straight line from point A to point B.

Just drop me into a cleverly designed monster maze, please.

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
18. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 22:27 Smellfinger

I'm still waiting for an MMO that drops me into a compelling world and allows me to explore it at my own pace. No quests. No breadcrumbs. No hand holding. No going from point A to point B until max level. If I want to grind XP, I'll stop and kill some MOBs before moving on. In other words, something along the lines of UO or vanilla EverQuest. I'm really sick of MMOs like TOR that are nothing but glorified single player games.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
88. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 6, 2012, 18:46 Smellfinger

Verno wrote on May 3, 2012, 13:18:
I don't know, I've always felt like combat was the weakest aspect of the TES games. While I don't think hotbars are necessarily the way to go, I would welcome some changes to make things more interesting.

This is what has always turned me off to The Elder Scrolls series. The King's Field series blew TES out of the water in terms of combat, but nobody seemed to notice. Unfortunately, From Software had to dumb down the King's Field formula (Demons/Dark Souls) to get people to play their RPGs. In the end, I think people care less about combat and more about stats and collecting loot.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
25. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 18:22 Smellfinger

In the future, developers will keep the finished DLC off the disc and wait a while to release it. This will give the illusion that it was worked on after the game shipped.  

News Comments > Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2
49. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 15:32 Smellfinger

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 14:23:
Game design has advanced a ton. I know people love posting that jpg of Doom levels vs today's levels, but Doom had shitty pacing and just recycled shit over and over as you crisscrossed the same area with new monsters popping out of new closets. It's terrible, and we shouldn't look fondly at it.

Pacing? At least you didn't say 'set pieces' or some other lame buzzword that undoubtedly came out of some shitty game design school.

You can't really compare Doom to modern shooters because they're so different. Exploration has been abandoned in favor of heavily scripted linearity and Smash TV-style monster swarms have been replaced by tactical hide-and-shoot gameplay with a limited amount of enemies.

361 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo