Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Smellfinger

Real Name Smellfinger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Smellfinger
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 16, 2002, 17:15
Total Comments 364 (Amateur)
User ID 14428

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 10, 2012, 13:07 Smellfinger

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 11:58:
On the whole Jobs / Apple thing...

Henry Ford was widely known to be a supporter of Adolf Hitler, but that didn't stop people from buying Ford cars.

Jobs personality? Just about as relevant.

Only because Hitler was anti-Communist. Nobody knew about the Holocaust until the war was over.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
61. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 17:28 Smellfinger

The evolution of the MMO model: No more expansions to buy, new content on a regular basis. The new content will come later because we need to fix the bugs first. Actually, we're making an expansion.

The evolution of DLC: It's only cosmetic. Now it's gameplay, but think of it as an expansion that you can download. We work on it after the original game is done. Actually, we withhold content and sometimes put it on the disc.

F2P is the culmination of 15 years of bullshit.

News Comments > 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating
21. Re: 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating Jun 7, 2012, 17:29 Smellfinger

The banks didn't do anything illegal. Thanks to 30 years of financial deregulation, everything the banks did was allowed under law.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 4
9. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 4 Jun 7, 2012, 12:58 Smellfinger

pagb wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 10:46:
Nothing caught my attention this year... any gem worth checking?

Uh, hmmmm. Well, I was excited to hear that DOTA 2 wasn't going to be pay-to-win. That was the only thing that got my blood flowing this year.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
33. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 12:49 Smellfinger

Operant conditioning has never been so transparent. Molyneux's next game will undoubtedly be called Skinner Box.  

News Comments > Epic Assisting Big Huge Games
56. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 6, 2012, 13:43 Smellfinger

Dupe.  

55. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 6, 2012, 13:43 Smellfinger

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:34:
Saying entitlements is a red hering? Do you pay attention to the world around you? How lazy people are these days? Or do you live in the same fantasy world Oblamer does that if the rich just paid a little more automagically the amount of debt we add daily would just go away?

It's a red herring when you equate a ghetto princess who keeps popping out babies for a bigger welfare check with someone who reaches retirement age and wants to start collecting from a system they spent their life paying into. By using the word 'entitlements', that's exactly what your doing, whether you realize it or not.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 13:23 Smellfinger

Tumbler wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:38:
Anyone else feel like "Gaming" has crossed a line into stupidity with this E3?

I've felt that way since the late '90s when I was writing for Gamesdomain and getting all-expenses-paid trips to E3 every year. E3 has always been a spectacle that panders to the worst common denominator, but at least back then you could go to the Sega booth and see some decent Saturn and Dreamcast games. There was also a clear separation between PC and console. Each platform offered a unique experience. Now it's just one big blur of mediocrity.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 13:13 Smellfinger

ViRGE wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:23:
A pair of really good articles from RPS today, particularly the one on violence. Why the heck is everything a realistic ultraviolent manshooter this year? Not to bemoan violence as evil, but it's like eating ice cream for dinner every night; it lacks variety.

I think it's more like eating a shit sandwich for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm sure there's a decent analogy in there somewhere, but the fumes are making me light-headed.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2012, 12:16 Smellfinger

How is Russian internet policy at odds with western internet policy? Do they not allow internet providers to implement crippling data caps? Do they not have strict intellectual property laws that allow corporations to sue kids who download music? Are they not using the internet as an anti-privacy surveillance weapon against their own citizens?  

27. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 17:40 Smellfinger

alvador wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 15:43:
You are corresponding right now with an actual resident of RI who got an actual job (desperately needed, BTW)- I can think of at least 15 or 20 other longtime RI residents who were working at 38...

They should have had you guys digging ditches and laying concrete. America is awash in mediocre video games, but the roads could really use some work.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month
11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 17:28 Smellfinger

EA Louse took an enormous amount of shit from Bioware fanboys, but everything he said about this game in 2010 rings true today.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 16:16 Smellfinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:01:
Mhh I guess you are both right.... To focus the media blowout this event serves well and to mainstream press as well.. but for gamers wouldn't it be better if we actually GET TO PLAY THE DEMO stuff instead of just see coverage of someone else playing?

It would be possibly nowadays. Why is it not done?

Because that would require developers and publishers to have enough confidence in their products to remove the unpaid propagandists (video game journalists) from the equation.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 2, 2012, 15:55 Smellfinger

What's telling is that they haven't been willing or able to manufacture evidence against Iran like they did with Iraq even though they've probably had illicit access to their nuclear facilities for years. Since no country other than Israel stands to benefit from a preemptive strike against Iran, there's a chance, however slight, that they're acting in America's interest for a change. Sure, they spout the anti-Iran rhetoric, but that might be more a matter of keeping the hardline zionists satisfied enough with Obama to line his coffers this election.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2012, 14:49 Smellfinger

Great physics, awful foliage. I feel like we're at least a decade away from seeing decent outdoor areas in video games. It's certainly not going to happen on the next generation of consoles.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 2, 2012, 12:37 Smellfinger

E3 is a dick-waving contest between major publishers and the press are their fluffer girls.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 2, 2012, 12:22 Smellfinger

Good to know that America and Israel can practice what they call 'cyberterrorism' against any country that doesn't play ball with them.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 1, 2012, 16:28 Smellfinger

If Israel has the right to arm itself with nukes, then so does Iran. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
84. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 16:47 Smellfinger

StingingVelvet wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:30:
As for Doom 3, I didn't mean my comment to sound like HEY EVERYONE LOVED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. Again, I can ONLY speak to MY experience, which was forums filled with people excited about the game and talking about how awesome it was. Selective sampling? Less negative forum? Partial memory? I dunno, but that is my experience.

It was impossible to say anything negative about the game on this site without everyone jumping down your throat, but the hype gradually turned to disappointment as hardcore id Software fans came to the realization that the mighty id was fallible. It was a bitter pill for them to swallow, though.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
17. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 13:57 Smellfinger

Yakubs wrote on May 31, 2012, 13:09:
I wish they would port Demon's Souls too

What I'd like to see is a From Software 'Orange Box' with all of the King's Field games ported to modern hardware along with both of the Souls games. Those games deserve it.

364 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo