Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Borre

Real Name Bill Borre   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 14:04
Total Comments 855 (Graduate)
User ID 14301

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Q&As
15. Re: Lucasarts... Jun 6, 2005, 21:24 Bill Borre

There will NEVER be great stories in games for the simple reason that it is not possible to know what the player will do in an interactive environment. Stories in games will always be inferior to the great stories and characterization you can find in a book.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saga of Ryzom Expands
4. Re: Interesting, but... Jun 6, 2005, 21:08 Bill Borre

It is an interesting idea, but it needs to be built into and around the game engine itself. Developers need to get away from thinking of 'tools' and instead think realtime changes, dependent upon character level. For example, a fantasy game could use spells, or scifi background could use nano, kinda like how a high lvl Druid can change the whether in EQ, only involving all aspects of the environment. The game engine would have to be a sort of 'earth simulator' that would allow players to easily change and shape terrain, materials, etc.

News Comments > Meridian 59 Free Trial
12. Re: Wow Jun 2, 2005, 21:46 Bill Borre

Yet another online game with a free trial. I wonder if it'll ever get to the point where they are free and supported with advertiser revenue like TV?

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: When Hollywood actors get May 26, 2005, 20:49 Bill Borre

I don't see how it's possible to get a computer to emote like a good actor. I think that good sound effects and voice acting add a great deal to the gameplay experience. They should get residuels.

News Comments > etc.
1. Double XP? May 19, 2005, 10:23 Bill Borre

Wow, the online game publishers are really getting desperate...

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. Spore? May 19, 2005, 10:04 Bill Borre

Wow, Will Wright has had such good luck in attracting female gamers to the Sims, I can't imagine how the name 'Spore' ever got the green light. "Wendy, what are you doing this weekend?" "Betty, I'm gonna be playing 'Spore'!"

News Comments > Larian's Next Project - Divinity Sequel?
10. Re: Looks like... May 17, 2005, 20:34 Bill Borre

I'm surprised no comments in the thread about Beyond Divinity. I'm playing through it ATM, and I'm very disappointed with it. I liked Divine Divinity, and I bought Beyond Divinity based upon my positive impression of the first game, but so many things are wrong with Beyond Divinity I don't know if I'll pick up any of Larian's further offerings. The voice acting is just awful. The only one who impressed me as trying to ACT as opposed to READING their lines, was the person playing the Necromancer. The writing stinks. It was like Larian shot their entire creative bolt with the first game, and had nothing left to give for the second. Quests consist of find item or kill monster. THAT'S IT. There's really no point to any of what you're doing. Gameplay balance is terrible. I am playing the easy difficulty and I get killed nearly instantly if I take my eyes off the health for merely an instant. The devs were waaaay too stingy with how many skill points you gain per level, and their is no indication on how you ought to distribute them. Lockpick skill is frickin worthless. With lvl 10 lockpick skill, I can't open a single bloodly lock around. I spend most of my time in this game wandering around and reloading after I get killed. Not fun.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Dan Simmons Hyperion for Timeshift May 3, 2005, 20:42 Bill Borre

It sounds like someone could do a cool mod for Timeshift using the Shrike character from Dan Simmons' Hyperion if the game allows modification. Those were great books and they'd make a great game. Harry Turtledove's World War epic would make a great RTS too.

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
2. Re: Additional Demo materials Apr 26, 2005, 20:53 Bill Borre

I once saw something on the internet a few years ago where you could upload a front and side photo of a face and they would email you a digital version of your head. Does anyone know the link to this? I wonder why this is not possible with full figures or drawings. I tried it with a front and side drawing of Marvel's Doctor Doom, but I got an error message back that the software could not process it.

News Comments > Hellgate: London Announced
4. Re: Hmmm... Apr 26, 2005, 20:32 Bill Borre

"massive amounts of randomization and
customisation to offer infinite replayability"

I don't ANY game that has ever used 'random' as a selling point has achieved AAA sales. You'd think devs, especially ones as experienced as former Blizzard employees, would get it through their heads that 'random' doesn't have any connection to whether a game is played over or set upon the shelf. The only thing that makes me replay a title is if it is very visually impressive, like Doom3 and Half-life2, or unlockable features.

News Comments > Heaven vs Hell Announced
4. Re: ... Apr 25, 2005, 21:10 Bill Borre

If you're refering to the flood, that is the Old Testament.

News Comments > Prince of Persia 3 Announced
3. Re: BRING IT! Apr 25, 2005, 21:07 Bill Borre

I liked Sands of Time, but it kind of seems to me that they're going the way of Lara on this series...

News Comments > Heaven vs Hell Announced
2. Re: ... Apr 25, 2005, 20:59 Bill Borre

So let me get this straight. If you play on the side of Heaven, your goal is to wipe out humanity? How positively Christian. Some game devs ought to take a few more philosophy classes in college.

News Comments > Bad Day L.A. Announced
1. No subject Apr 25, 2005, 20:54 Bill Borre

"unmistakable and totally unique look and feel"

Yeah, it looks uniquely bad.

News Comments > Sony and Virtual Sales
11. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 09:57 Bill Borre

I completely disagree with you Bill. I think it is very likely that all online games of the future will incorporate this functionality. Sony can always put limits on it if it results in customer uproar. What puzzles me is that I recall reading about something like this implementing player-generated quests in SWG. I guess Sony decided to forego SWG.

News Comments > Sony and Virtual Sales
9. Re: No subject Apr 20, 2005, 20:36 Bill Borre

It would be an interesting development if it ever got to the point where people could charge other players real money to join with them on raids. People could offer their services as mercs.

News Comments > (Scant) Dimitri Details
21. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2005, 20:22 Bill Borre

I think an online version of what they had tried to do with Fable would be a better next project. All player's choices effect the gameworld, the entire economy player-generated, literally starting with the raw materials of the world and crafting them first into clubs and spears then with the innovation of metallurgy into swords, guns, etc. Different areas of the gameworld would have different rates of progress based upon individual innovation and total population. That kind of thing.

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
1. It takes too long. Gamers want to 'game' Feb 6, 2005, 16:57 Bill Borre

Modeling is tedious. What would be really cool is if someone came up with an app that allowed you to scan a 2D image then 'guestimate' it into a 3D mesh for importing into games. You could still drill down into the mesh with the tool to tweak it. I've seen applications over the web to do this kind of thing with faces, but nothing so far like a character importer for games like HL2, Neverwinter Nights, Freedom Force, etc. You'd still have to do the animations by hand, though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: No subject Feb 5, 2005, 14:05 Bill Borre

I would certainly like to see a Followup on those girls who got sued if anyone helps them out. If I had Mr. Gates' wealth, it would be a nice feeling just to be able to do something nice in situations like those with little effort at all. That woman who sued them said "I hoped they learned a lesson". Yeah, honey, you taught them what a world of assholes they have to live in. They can bring me cookies. Bill likes cookies

News Comments > RattHunter Announced
12. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2005, 10:13 Bill Borre

OMG!!!!!! AN HONEST PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd live to see such a thing.

855 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo