Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1597 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales
8. Re: Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales Sep 20, 2010, 19:00 Rigs

BigFish just shut down the other day, didn't they? I know my Mom was in a tivvy because she couldn't play her games anymore... *shrug*

EDIT: After going to the site and conferring with said Mom, we found that the free Bingo and Card games (like Solitaire) are gone, along with their chat feature, and now they just have games available everywhere else...you know, for MONEY...Seems, to always come down to that...My Mom tells me her and her friends had spent like days and days worth of time playing on there...and they shut it all down to re-launch apparently...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2010, 19:08.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo
9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Evochron Mercenary & Demo Sep 17, 2010, 20:52 Rigs

I don't really like missiles in space combat games.

Indeed. Torpedoes, yes. Missiles? Not so much. I prefer to compare space and it's trading and fighting to naval combat, not Top Gun-style air combat. Maybe if you go 'atmospheric', then you can play out those Maverick fantasies. Starshatter had a good mix of this, as well as the older Elite/Frontier games. I suppose (at the risk of summoning 'the demon') you could say the Battlecruiser 3000 games were in this genre as well. Probably the one thing in those games that worked like you would think it would...

*Looks around the room for any sign of...Him...*

While I'm extremely biased toward the X series (been following and playing since X was a wee little tech demo...they're so cute at that age, you know... ) I have to say that I've always wanted the option to 'hit the dirt' instead of being confined to the cold and loveless vacuum of space. Curiously, though I love the 'space trading and combat' genre, I don't think I've ever played an Evochron game. I remember Star Wraith 3D back in the day, but I think I just shrugged it off as a cheap imitation of X, more arcade-ish than a free-roaming sim. It looks like I may have to give this one some more time on my schedule. Of course, I have to deal with the guilt of not devoting that time to my true love, X3:TC...then again, it's not like I haven't cheated before...you know, once a cheater, always a cheater...(my ex-wife would probably tend to agree also)...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2010, 21:01.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst Hotfix
8. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Hotfix Sep 15, 2010, 22:54 Rigs

Something tells me that ATI's recent 'sloppiness' is related to AMD. I had an old friend of mine email me last month after the announcement of AMD dissolving the ATI name about it causing some serious upheavals at ATI. Apparently, (and this is not confirmed, since I have no way to confirm it) a lot of people at ATI are just as unhappy about the name change/retirement.

Take that for what you will. I haven't had many problems with the recent drivers on my HD5770, HD4870, HD2400, X850PRO or my X600m (which is a bitch to install being mobile), but I've been sticking with the 10.5's for now... *shrug*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Need for Speed World Goes Free
11. Re: Need for Speed World Goes Free Sep 9, 2010, 12:59 Rigs

Nothing is free! My time is precious and crappy games are no longer allowed to waste it

Many apologies, My Lord! May the fires and brimstone of Hell itself come to spite the unruly tyrant who spoke the words of offense to you, Your Highness! As soon as I complete my quest for the Enchanted Toilet Paper Scroll of Heavenly Softness, I will bring the best Triple A title for my one and only Kings amusement!

To The Pantry!!!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DirectDraw Hack
7. Re: DirectDraw Hack Sep 7, 2010, 16:43 Rigs

Right click on desktop and select "screen resolution" option and then leave the resulting dialog window open. Start the game in Win98 compatibility mode and the odd colors are gone.

Why in the hell...?

That sounds like a bug that a QA team would find while testing. I'd love to see the technical explanation for that one...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Back to the Future Details
20. Re: Back to the Future Details Sep 3, 2010, 09:49 Rigs

...one of which was a Half Life 2 shirt that I got with the retail Collector's Edition. Go figure.

Ah, the Half-Life 2 t-shirt. Yeah, I've got mine hanging in the closet. When I wear it to Wal-Mart or something I guess people think I'm a Linkin' Park kinda guy...on second thought, maybe I shouldn't wear it to Wal-Mart anymore...

Of course, I wear my Blues shirt all the time. I might be in need of a new one soon, this one has a lot of miles on it...

By the way, WHAT THE HELL IS A JIGOWATT?!?

Maybe I'm just not 'Jiggy wit it' anymore...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2010, 11:18.

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
59. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 31, 2010, 00:44 Rigs

But Jesus, the power of marketing and nostalgia has an insane effect on some people here.

You have NO idea...

*quickly takes off candy apple red ATI hoodie and throws it in the closet*

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think you know what I was thinking when I was saying that...

I'm sorry. I've been in the game for a while and the one thing in the industry, as it's changed, is the reliance on ATI video cards. Whenever I built a system, I always knew I could throw a decently powered ATI in for good money and not have to worry about it...

When I jumped off ship off the USS Nvidia in 2003, I HAD to have an ATI Radeon 9800PRO. That was the card to beat. I loved that card, and the DELL it was in. (I didn't exactly love the $1600 payment on it though) The only problem I had with it came 2 years later when the heatsink support snapped, sending the heatsink bungie jumping into the CPU fan. I only came to know about it from the smell of burning silicon waffing through the house. No, it doesn't smell good. It smells like $500 burning...

From there it was a 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder, but not for long. Just a small amount of time from there was an X850 Pro. Serious horsepower for the time, it took me through the dark ages of 2006-2008. No problems and it's used in my Mom's Dell as we speak running Windows7 like it's Windows 3.1. Next came my new Core2Dou E8400 system, Black Omega, with the mind blowing power of the HD4870. I was an early adopter though, and paid $500 for a 512mb version, which I'm not crazy about now as I look back.

While happy with it's performance, I had built the system right at the juncture of Core2Duo and the Core i7's and i5's. Seeing all the fun everyone was having, I built 'Black Omega 2' only a year later, in January, a Core i5-750 system with a HIS HD5770. This is where I am today, though I have since put my HD4870 back in the new system because of it's oh-so-slight advantage over the HD5770. While the 5770 runs cooler and requires less power, the 4870 runs just slightly faster and just responds better, IMO.

As it stands right now, I see absolutely no reason to go Green. They haven't come out with a card that gives a truly obvious advantage over the ATI cards already out there. I would love to get an HD5970 or two HD5770's in Crossfire. But right now, the system runs through everything like it's standing still and I don't even have to overclock to get decent performance. (Though that Core i5 is a tempting overclocker)...

How I see it is this - If you have an love nVidia, so be it. You're happy. Good for you. I'm supremely happy with ATI and will stick with them for the foreseeable future. There's room for both and arguing about which is better is as pointless as the INTEL vs. MAC and Windows/Linux/OSX debates. Each to their own...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > World of Warcraft Dropping support for PPC Macs
7. Re: World of Warcraft Dropping support for PPC Macs Aug 30, 2010, 23:33 Rigs

Attempting to run the game after the update will bring up a message stating the hardware is no longer supported, and the game will not run.

WHAM!

Haven't you heard? Blizzard is the man, trying to keep everyone down...

BAM!

The Circle of Blizzard Claim is now complete! BEHOLD!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
42. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 17:36 Rigs

...and are dropping the ATI moniker entirely.

ATI's a recognisable brand name associated with graphics technology and there are zillions of ATI branded cards and games that show the ATI logo in them. You already own the company, why cause confusion in the marketplace by changing the name everyone knows to one that by their own admission, will make less savvy consumers think they won't work with Intel systems? Really stupid move.

This is a bad move. I'm saying it now. Mark my words, AMD. This is a mistake...

Do they not see that 'Brand Recognition' is one of the most important things in this industry? Mp3 players aren't mp3 players, they're 'IPods'. Video game consoles are 'Nintendo's'. FPS's are 'Doom' or 'Grand Theft Auto'...

I can't see how dropping the ATI name will help AMD get ahead. And, personally, I'm gonna seriously miss it...

They will always be ATI to me!

A, fuckin', Men!

I used to use a lot of ATI products, video cards, and tv tuners, but the Catalyst Control Center completely turned me off to them, it just got worse and worse. Such a bloated piece of garbage, you could choose not to install I believe, but then you had no controls. This was some years ago, I would hope they have trashed it and moved on, but I doubt it.

However on the otherside, I know 4 people, including myself, who had an 8800gtx that melted.

Ain't karma a bitch?!?

Ati has had overall better drivers than Nvidia for close to 10 years now. The truth is nvidia is a slimy company that pays developers for special support, hacks their drivers to make benchmarks look better, cuts the corners on image quality, and pays people to post crap about ATi on forums and blogs as part of their marketing budget.

ATI's driver problems are long since gone. They have no more problems than any other video card maker in the market today. nVidia has the same problems with certain sets of drivers as ATI. It's the status quo. To argue about driver difficulties that happened years ago is to show your ignorance and lack of factual research...

It comes down to some have a problem with this driver and some have problems with that driver. It's impossible to have a driver that works perfect on everyone's system and if you think it's possible, I'd like to see your work...

Am I an ATI fanboy? You bet your ass I am...for good reason...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ship Simulator Extremes
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ship Simulator Extremes Aug 27, 2010, 21:41 Rigs

From the little I've gathered on the Torrent P2P networks, either there's a bug riddled beta version passing itself off as the final retail or there's serious problems with this release. Apparently the game itself is far inferior to Ship Sim 2008...

Given this, I shall hold off until I have solid confirmation either way...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Acclaim Closed
13. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 16:20 Rigs

Ah, Acclaim, how I miss thee...the old Acclaim I mean...not the new, hip, cutting-edge, social-media games powerhouse it tried to become...

Just goes to show you can never change who you really are inside. No sense in fighting it, they should have pumped money into some of the old IP's to fund new sequels or reboots...or failing that, just stay dead... *shrug*

At least we know what they can put on it's tombstone now:

WASTE OF MONEY

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed?
10. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 19:38 Rigs

50 million dollars...geezus...just think what could have been done with just half that...

you know, like maybe they could've finished DNF...well, no, perhaps not for 25 million...

I don't know how these guys sleep at night when they get all that funding, run the company into the ground (a lot of times on purpose) and go off to find their next adventure victim...

Hell, I blew threw my 30 grand life savings in six months after my divorce and that landed me in the shrinks office for two years because of the guilt alone...I guess you have to have a black hole for a heart and ice in your veins... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs
14. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 19:31 Rigs

...they can kiss my hairy butt!

Uh, yeah, didn't need to know that, Talisom...

Besides, you don't shave?!?

I thought all geeks were allergic to body hair...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2010, 11:23 Rigs

The Sky Before Katrina.

*sigh*

I've seen this practically everywhere I look lately and it's driving me nuts! I've gotten like 5 emails about it over the last 2 months or so. So hopefully this will be the last time I have to say this:

This IS NOT from Katrina!

These pictures are of mid-western super-cell thunderstorms. And they are of several different ones at that. To top it off, some of these pictures, like the one of the tornado, are like 7 or 8 years old, way before Katrina. In fact, I've had that particular picture as my desktop on and off since that time...

I don't know why whoever put this out said they were from Katrina (maybe to get attention) but they certainly are not...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 130,000 APB Players
1. Re: 130,000 APB Players Aug 24, 2010, 10:22 Rigs

...They prove this is a very enjoyable game, which is shown by the average player daily playtime and an ARPPU (Average Revenue per Paying User) that is highest of any game out there."

Ah huh...try saying that 3 to 6 months from now...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 19, 2010, 09:42 Rigs

PS3 gets Titanium Blue makeover for Gran Turismo 5 launch bundle...

Bugger...that Titanium Blue would be absolutely gorgeous on the 'old' style, 'fat' PS3's, I would reckon (like mine). But I can't really see it helping the totally fuggly thing that is the PS3 'Slim'... Puke

On a related note, the redesigned 360 is pretty snazzy. For sure a step up from the original...

As for GT5...since I've played Prologue to death and then some, I'm seriously itchin' to get my hands on it...I wish they would include full damage though. It seems inconsistent when they say the manufactures don't want to have their cars shown bashed up, but then you have other racing sims including the same car with a full damage model. Doesn't make sense to me... *shrug*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Force Unleashed III Cancelled?
7. Re: Force Unleashed III Cancelled? Aug 17, 2010, 23:34 Rigs

As thunder booms here and I come close to turning off and unplugging this machine, I have to put in my two cents. Honestly, I think the whole freakin' thing should be put in the hands of the writers of the books, especially the expanded universe. I think the stories they came up with equal or even surpass the original. And they're infinitely better than Eps. 1-3. (Well, shoot me, I liked Ep. 3, definitely the best out of the three) The writers of the Thrawn trilogy, the Rogue Squadron series and yes, even the Yuuzhan Vong invasion series. If they could turn those stories into good screenplays and use ILM's work (without it overpowering the story it's telling), then you would have something that fans would accept, I think.

Failing that, they could always license Halo, copy all the cutscenes into one, slap it on a DVD and make millions...

*BOOM*

Yeah, I'm outta here...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Realtime Words Layoffs?
8. Re: Realtime Words Layoffs? Aug 15, 2010, 04:20 Rigs

THIS!

FATALITY!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Force Unleashed Producer Leaves
2. Re: Force Unleashed Producer Leaves Jul 30, 2010, 04:17 Rigs

It's so freakin' hard to read into these reports nowadays. There's so much behind-the-scenes, backstabbing, double-dealing conspiracies going on that you can't tell who is telling the truth about what anymore. Did they get fired, resign, laid-off? They'll say they left to 'pursue other opportunities' but lately that's been the PC way of saying 'they fired my ass quietly' (all the while killing me softly)...
As for the game itself, having a higher up bail in the middle of a development cycle is pretty unusual, especially if they are doing it to 'explore creative new challenges'...like playing the Push-You-Shove-Me game at the unemployment office...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Is 3D already dying? Jul 29, 2010, 19:33 Rigs

God, I hope so.

Creston

Amen.

Holy Jeezus, Creston, you took the words right outta my mouth. I read that 'Is 3D already dying?' and the first thing I thought was 'God, I f'n hope so!'...I imagine I'm not the only one with that sentiment...

It's weird. Before my father passed away in October...well, actually even before he got sick and could really care about such things, say in June of last year, him and I were talking about the whole 3D thing. When he bought our 52" rear-projection HDTV, the sales guy had actually told him that maybe he would like to hold off on the purchase for a little while, until the new 3D tv's came out. When he told me this, I was shocked. A sales rep telling a possible customer not to buy?!? We discussed it afterward, since I unfortunately didn't go with him to buy the tv. (I told him 'Repeat over and over in your head - 52" LCD 120hz 1080p NAME BRAND! Samsung or Sony would be the best. He comes home with a rear-projection Mitsubishi HDTV...well, at least it was a Japanese company and he got the size right... )
He had always been fascinated with the hologram game from Star Wars: Ep4 in the Falcon between R2 and Chewy (forget the name at the moment). Ever since then, he was convinced that he would see something like that in his lifetime. So when he saw all this stuff about 3D, he got excited. I had to let him down gently and tell him it was no more than the 3D B-movies he watched in the drive-in's when he was around my age. So now whenever I hear something or see something about 3D tv or movies, I think of him...

=-Rigs-=

1597 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo