Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1642 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Revolution Under Siege
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Revolution Under Siege Nov 26, 2010, 02:57 Rigs

Matrix makes historical turned based strategy games. They are all quite good if you are into that.

My god, man, you just qualified for the 'Understatement of the Year Award'.

Indeed, aside from the old SSI and SSG, Shrapnel Games, and HPS Simulations, they are one of the best sources of wargames in the genre today. In just a few short years, they've grown to become a major force in the strategy/wargaming arena. They've got a ton of old-skool talent in the development studios contracted with them, Gary Grisby being one...I don't think I've played a Matrix game I didn't like. And one of my all time favorites came from them - War In The Pacific: Admirals Edition...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World Supremacy and Demo Released
2. Re: World Supremacy and Demo Released Nov 22, 2010, 13:37 Rigs

So...six out of eight?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 20, 2010, 15:27 Rigs

Open source compression software 7-Zip is now out of beta.

Wow, I wasn't even aware it was in beta... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > More Mass Effect Clues
6. Re: More Mass Effect Clues Nov 20, 2010, 00:53 Rigs

Holy geezus, Creston, PMS much?

I liked the game industry back when shit was just announced, and we could either be excited about it, or think it was a stupid idea.

Ah, but as you say, my friend, that was 'back when', when the gaming public consisted of a bunch of nerdy teens coming out of the 80's and discovering grunge or a bunch of geeky 30-somethings with dreams of building computer-based business powerhouses...Now, it's every tween this side of communist China playing Pet Shop Petz on the interwebz and making 'cool' mini-movies of themselves to announce to the world they're worth the 10 minutes you just spent watching them jump up and down on their bed and talking about 'Sebastion' (OMG, HE'S SO HOT!), whom we all now know is a FRESHMAN in HIGH SCHOOL!!!11 OMG!!!11 Rolleyes

Can ya see where I'm going with this?
Good, because I forgot what I was saying...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2010, 19:54 Rigs

Paltry? Possibly, but not after spending most of the first half of the day writing emails and forum replies (I'm notorious for sending out pages in response to a two sentence question)...and then write for the blog and then work on the tech manuals...My God, man, my brain is only mush, what more do you want from it?!?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Recommendations
24. Re: Steam Recommendations Nov 19, 2010, 19:34 Rigs

Wow, a subject for which I have absolutely no opinion on, either way...I need to check my notes, but that might actually be a first...or a record...and yes:

No cares that I don't care...got it, thanks...no, no you don't have to post the funny picture of LOLZCAT telling me that, I've been around interwebz bulletin boards long enough to know... Rolleyes

On a more on-topic note - there are three different railroad sims out in the last few years but I think Railworkz is the one most worked on. There's also Trainz and I forget the other ones name. Competition in the genre is good, per se. But this is certainly a niche genre if there ever was one. Kinda like a furrie fetish, where there are tons of people that have it but most of the outside world has no idea it exists... *shrugs*

Ahem, uh, not that I would know or anything, just so we're clear here...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 19:43.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2010, 15:14 Rigs

Can you give a dog a small dose of Benadryl?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dog+benadryl

Smartass...

Thanks for that though, it hadn't occured to me to do that...
...I was just about to search Google about dog allergies and the like...
...or nothin'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2010, 15:01 Rigs

NO! No, no, no...I'm not getting sucked into another 1000-word essay on why I like games and why I spent weeks on games 20 years ago and only a few hours nowadays...I won't do it, dammit...I have a ton of things to do and none of them are games... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Babylon Project Patch
3. Re: Babylon Project Patch Nov 19, 2010, 12:16 Rigs

"Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!

We talked about peace. You didn't want peace.

We talked about cooperation. You didn't want cooperation. You want war!

Is that it? You want a war?

Well you've GOT A WAR!"

- John Sheridan, President of the Interstellar Alliance - Babylon 5

The full quote, for those who wondered...there will never be another Babylon station. She was the last of her kind...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2010, 12:25.

News Comments > Indie Web Portal
3. Re: Indie Web Portal Nov 19, 2010, 12:06 Rigs

Go Cliff! Thumbsup

I think I can speak for some of us here (I hope) in saying we wish you the best of luck and congrats on actually doing something instead of talking about doing!

Golfclap

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Strategic Command World War 1 Announced
1. Re: Strategic Command World War 1 Announced Nov 19, 2010, 12:01 Rigs

"Strategic Command World War I: The Great War 1914-1918 provides you with the opportunity to re-write history in a war that changed the destiny of Europe but of the whole world..."

Ugh...again? Whether you go from WW1 to WW2 or WW2 to WW1, it's the same damn thing! (This coming from a wargaming padawan)...

Rewrite history? Okay...

*developes nuke in 1915...nukes Berlin in 1916 - war over!*

Battlefront marketing:
"To win, you must manage your resources wisely, incorporate diplomacy and shrewd decisions, invest in technological research, and apply sound warfare strategies. Nuclear tech not available."

*sigh*
*sends in Jason Borne's great-grandfather, shoots Hindenburg - war over!*

Battlefront marketing:
"To win, you must-"

*shoots Battlefront marketing spokesman - WW1/2 strategy genre takes a much needed hiatus*

Battlefront marketing: ... *crickets* ...

Ah, Much better...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com?
27. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 22:50 Rigs

Yes, you did take it out of context. Sales and marketing have nothing to do with punishing customers by using DRM which is what we were discussing.

Ok, now you took MY reply out of context...but whatever, I respectfully retire this engagement in order to fight another day...(IOW, I'm going to bed - my minds' fried from arguing theoretical all damn day)...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2010, 22:30 Rigs

Hmm, I don't usually believe in 'fate' or coincidence but right before reading OOTB, I was just about to search Google about dog allergies and the like. Tell me that's not just a tad freaky... Ucrazy

Anyway, we have a 7-year-old pure bred German Shepard. She's still pretty active in her age, but her hips are starting to give her serious trouble now as she gets older (a common thing in German Shepards). She has trouble or just outright refuses going up stairs or jumping over anything. And her favorite past-time, chasing the UPS truck down the road (we have 2 acres, fenced, on a corner lot), she has given up because of it. Now she just barks and yips so loud you can't hear yourself think. But the last few months have been outright hell for her and our two other dogs, a furball Pomeranian, 8 and a small poodle-mix, 13...

See, down here in Florida, we have every little biting thing known to human-kind. It seems anything that lives and is small enough to crawl in your pants has a nasty, annoying and infuriating bite. Mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks are the top 3. The mosquitoes die off in late summer, and if you manage not to get carried off by one until then, you usually just endure a annoying itch that seems to get worse as time passes, typically until you put something on it and scream bloody murder because you were, once again, too stupid to NOT scratch it until you put something on it. Fleas are the scourge of the FL insect world. No one likes them, they don't seem to have a reason to exist other than to annoy the living hell out of you and it's damn near impossible to keep them out of the house without a can of radioactive RAID, especially if you have multiple pets, as we do (3 dogs, 4 cats). But the worst of the bunch are the ticks. They make the brown/black house spiders down here almost appealing enough to keep as pets, if only to eat the little bastards...

Now, I'm not talking about the ones up north that some of you are familiar with. Those are larger, so-called 'Deer ticks' that tend to carry a laundry list of fashionable diseases. We have them here as well, but they are not as numerous and tend to be found in the deep woods or in the marshy fields. No, these ticks are smaller. MUCH smaller. In fact, most tend to be no bigger than a dot. They get bigger and when on a dog will plump up to a good size so you can have hours of fun popping them! Just look out for the blood. So, these little buggers get on your dog or cat, they come in and then they're in the carpet, in the bed linens, on the drapes...and then they multiply! You'd think they just passed a Tick Welfare Check Bonanza! You'll be sleeping and get a intense urge to scratch, this overwhelming sense of ITCH! You can't stop scratching, it feels SO good! If you're kinda dozy and don't pay attention, these things get under your fingernails and then they travel to wherever you happen to put them next...hmmm, you know, wherever that maybe be when your half-asleep...

But the reason I was looking for doggie allergies was because our Shepard has the exact same problem as Hudson. She's chewed the hair right off her rump and her skin is a rosy pink everywhere. She doesn't sleep at night, she paces back and forth thru the house (and we have hard wood floors), so she tends to keep us awake as well. She bites and scratches constantly and she rubs up against anything she can, whether it be a person, place or thing. She's constantly rubbing her nose on the floor and goes outside and rolls in the grass for 20 minutes at a time. She's miserable and we just have no idea how to fix it. Plus, finances are extremely tight right now, so we can't really take her to the vet AND get the meds also. It's one or the other. I would really like to know if there is something I can give her that doesn't need a prescription. Can you give a dog a small dose of Benadryl? I know you can give them childrens Tylenol. I don't want to kill my dog, obviously, but I have to do something. Giving her baths just seems to make it worse...

So, you're not alone, Blue...there...is..a.an..anot...ano.ther.... *disappears* Vanish

=-Rigs-=

23. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 18:05 Rigs

Right, because it's THEIR fault that publishers refuse to do business with them?

What does that have anything to do with it? Do you have any actually evidence to back up that that is the way GOG chooses which games they put out to sell? For all we know, they could just have a list of games in the lunch room and play darts to choose. Or it could just be personal choice of GOG itself? By poll on their forums? What? If, indeed, you aren't just bullshitting then I'll gladly STFU...

Again, you can't focus on the people who aren't buying your product.

No offense, but that might be one of the most naive comments I've read in the last two hours or so...Isn't the focus on possible customers the whole point of sales and marketing?...Yes, I took it out of context...

You focus on making your product easily available to legitimate customers and making sure it's at a quality level that they will pay for.

Legit customers. How can you tell who's who? How do you know that Joe Downloader didn't just shell out the $10 just to be the first to throw it on a torrent and claim glory for his 'group'?

I'm just being devil's advocate here, but I think it's a little more complicated/complex then you guys seem to realize or want to admit... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: DRM-Free Witcher 2 on GOG.com? Nov 18, 2010, 13:19 Rigs

Meh...

Where's all the older kick-ass flight-sims and space-sims? Yes, the sim genre is regrettably dead today (or in hiding, depending on your point of view), but that wasn't the case a decade ago. What gives? GoG should change it to Good Old (Adventure/RPG/RTS) Games... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2010, 17:55.

News Comments > Star Ruler Patches
3. Re: Star Ruler Patches Nov 14, 2010, 18:18 Rigs

Sword of The Stars is the closest it's come for me but needed a better turn based strategy phase and more ship building variety.

Yes, SOTS is pretty playable from the start and not too complicated to get into. Sins of a Solar Empire, while not exactly the 4x type, still has it's moments. GalCiv2 will always be my top spot 4x game and they'll have to bury it with me when I go or pry it out of my cold, dead hands...

On the other hand (that isn't cold and dead), if you want a true challenge, you can't get any more statistified than Distant Worlds. It's the 'War In The Pacific: Admirals Edition' of the space 4x genre. You practically need a degree in Administration to play it effectively. Certainly my kind of game, it's a great way to forget the world around you for a few hours/days/weeks...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On StarCraft II in Korea
3. Re: On StarCraft II in Korea Nov 13, 2010, 23:55 Rigs

Isn't it common sense that if you have a huge following that you should try as much as possible not to piss them off? I mean, how hard is that to remember?

It's like Blizzard is thinking that 'oh well, you know, even though you guys are the only country on the planet that televise computer gaming matches, and it's our game that's so popular, we need to get in on some of those licensing dollars...but don't dwell on the fact that we've gotten billions from the sale of the game already, that doesn't count...no, it doesn't....why?...well, 'cause it's a new version! Duh!...' Kick

Pathetic... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 13, 2010, 21:27 Rigs

Ya know, there are lots of reasons not to like HAWX 2. Not being a flight sim isn't one of them. It's an arcade game. It's like complaining that Call of Duty isn't a realistic infantry simulator. That's not its purpose or intent.

Having re-read my previous comment, I don't see where I said I wanted a flight sim with realistic Newtonian physics. I believe what I said was something that borders on 'believable'. I don't think that's asking for too much.

Yeah, but if they don't bitch about the "flight model," they'll actually have to learn what the game is like and think up legitimate criticisms, and that takes effort.

Do you like to point out the glaringly obvious? I know what the game is like. It sucks and I stated 'legitimate criticisms' why. And, hey, it didn't take much effort at all, huh?... Rolleyes

You'll be doing loop-the-loops to avoid missiles ALL THE TIME.

I think I said that already...

...it's because Russia is the only country that could, in the near future, be a legitimate opponent for the US and UK in a traditional, symmetrical war.

Uh, no. Russia has a ways to go yet before they get back to their status as 'pain the ass' (that's an official designation, by the way). Most of their goodies have been sold off to the other jerks of the world, like Venezuela, North Korea, Iran, Libya, Somalia (go figure), Vietnam, Serbia, Syria, Egypt, Sudan, Pakistan, and Jordan. They still have their nuclear inventory, but their conventional arsenal has whittled away over the last few decades from lack of funding.

They use Russia as the bad guy because us 'silly Americans' have been bred to think of Russia that way...and it's easier for game devs to just use the status quo than actually come up with something original...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2010, 21:34.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 12, 2010, 22:30 Rigs

you'll have to excuse me my cricket has restless leg syndrome.

I feel for your cricket. RLS is a serious bitch to have. I don't think I've ever had anything so freakin' infuriating in my life. I'd really like to give God a piece of my mind for that little gem of punishment...

Anyway, as for HAWX2...meh. The total lack of believable flight physics really burns my biscuit. I was embarrassed to even play the first one. That little maneuver you had to do to shake off a missile was just about the stupidest thing I've seen in a flight-based action game. Would it have been too much to ask for a slightly dumbed down sim model? Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta
7. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest Preorders, Beta Nov 8, 2010, 22:43 Rigs

Not to mention that, if components have prices attached then actually creating a fleet requires you to have a HUGE library of ships with different variations.

Didn't you know? There's an AI for that now...

=-Rigs-=

1642 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo