Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1697 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2011, 18:08 Rigs

Yeah, no, getting pissed doesn't seem to do anything more than make me feel worse...You're in good company Blue. Trust me. I think I got maybe an hour of sleep last night. Things aren't looking any better tonight either... ugh...At least I feel halfway decent enough to play LA Noire, so that takes your mind off for a little bit anyway...

In a couple months we'll look back and laugh...I hope...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Call of Juarez Hinted
8. Re: New Call of Juarez Hinted Nov 27, 2011, 17:37 Rigs

PHJF wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 16:50:
Wow I hadn't realized RDR had a PC release.

Took the words right outta my mouth...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2011, 18:16 Rigs

Hope you feel better, Blue! For what it's worth, I've been perpetually sick for damn near a month now. I get it, my Mom gets it, I go to take care of her and she gives it back to me! Argh! Nothing like enjoying the holidays when you feel like the floor of a taxi cab...

Note, Skyrim tends to be a WHOLE different experience when playing under Nyquil! They should outlaw that crap! Thought I had died and went to a strangely recognizable medieval Hell...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2011, 17:08 Rigs

Actually, you'd be surprised....there was a 'hidden' track on the end of STP's Purple album that was straight up lounge-style and he did a really good job. I know, a 'grunge wannabe doing lounge Jazz...go figure...' but he's been known to jump around with his music styles. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_temple_pilots

The band's sound is considered a blending of modern alternative rock and hard rock of the 1970s.[41] While Core and Purple resembled a strong grunge-inspired sound, later albums would include elements of psychedelic rock, power pop, garage rock, glam rock, bossa nova, and country. Dean DeLeo's trademark guitar sound is considered to be "crunchy" and especially distorted.[citation needed] DeLeo's playing has received critical acclaim, as Stone Temple Pilots' second album, Purple, was ranked number 73 on Guitar World magazine's list of the 100 greatest guitar albums of all time.[42] Stone Temple Pilots has covered several popular classic rock artists live and in the studio, such as The Beatles,[28] Led Zeppelin, Kiss, The Doors, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, as well as reggae artist Bob Marley.

Though critics initially claimed Weiland's vocal style to be similar to that of Eddie Vedder and the late Layne Staley, Weiland has said his vocal style is inspired by the late Jim Morrison of the Doors, and has also cited David Bowie as a major influence.

While mainly an alternative rock band, the band has incorporated a large number of musical styles throughout their career, including hard rock, psychedelic rock, jangle pop, and funk rock. Guitarist Dean DeLeo uses heavily layered and distorted guitar playing and bassist Robert DeLeo continues to draw influences from genres such as rhythm and blues, lounge music, and ragtime. Weiland is the band's primary lyricist.

While I wouldn't exactly expect him to do a Christmas album, it's not that surprising. I guess I should put the disclaimer in that I'm a huge STP fan. I mean, it can't be any worse than seeing Slash appearing all over the freakin' place...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue
27. Re: Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue Nov 24, 2011, 11:34 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 09:51:
I guarantee you this was not a port done in the 6 weeks since the console release... NVIDIA has been putting a lot of their weight behind it for the DirectX 11, 3D Vision, and PhysX support, so you can bet their engineers have been working with Rocksteady throughout the past year, at least, to put all the polish on the PC version. That's why the existence of such major technical issues (enough for them to recommend everyone take steps to avoid them) with the PC-exclusive DX11 mode is so surprising.

So, by that line of reasoning, what, IYO, is the cause for so many problems with this release? There are only so many excuses you can give. One has to be the right one, logical or not.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Distant Worlds – Legends
8. Re: Matrix webpage usability FAIL Nov 24, 2011, 11:29 Rigs

Erik, I typically don't comment to dev/publisher reps, but in Matrix's case I have to say that you guys do an excellent job. Yes, I might be considered a 'fanboy', but for good reason! Obviously, no one is infallible and everyone makes errors, but I've always seen Matrix try to do what was right. Especially coming here and taking feedback from us Blues hacks, pretty cool! Distant Worlds rocks, it's the most complete 'War In The Pacific/War In The East' type space wargame out there. Where GalCiv2 could be considered a 'casual' game by comparison, DW has so many different things going on at once, that while intimidating at first, it has a great mix of things to keep you interested for the long run.

Anyway, I'll stop drooling all over the furniture now and say that the 'new' store is an improvement over the 'old' thing you had before. You guys think it was confusing now? You couldn't even get the price for the game before actually clicking the 'Buy' link! The site and store were separate. It's much better than it was. I didn't even notice the problems you guys were having because I'm there all the time checking out new games and I know the site, so this stuff does happen to me when I'm browsing there. I thought you guys were nitpicking, to be honest...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue
15. Re: Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue Nov 24, 2011, 02:55 Rigs

I don't get it, does every freakin' release these days have problems? I don't think there has been one big release that didn't have some kind of issue that people got all 'up in arms about' or that the dev supposedly didn't find in QA. (Well, except for BF3 it seems, anyway) I'm really starting to worry about this 'we'll put out a zero-day patch and it'll be all good....now off to the bank!'...

Let's see:
Dead Island -Riiiight.
MW3 - well I know 'Elite' players had a fuss about something or other, not that the rest of the world gave a shit...
Skyrim - don't get me fuckin' started..

and lets not forget the absolutely appalling Sword of the Stars 2 release...'Ooopsie! We accidentally gave you old code for release!' How in the...?!? Seriously?!? I was really looking forward to this game and now I have serious doubts that it will ever be the way they hyped it beforehand.

I'll say one thing though - the one dev/publisher that can be relied on to bring out good games is Matrix Games. Most games from them are patched for reality issues, like armor thickness on the T34 toward the end of WW2. Shit like that. Not for game issues like actually running for the majority of it's users...

Geezus, this isn't Rocket Science. If you can't put out a solid product then why the fuck are you in the industry to begin with? No other industry would put up with this level of absolute FAIL. Why do we get the lazy fuckups? And the money-grubbing, release happy publishers? If they did this in the book publishing industry, we'd have serious issues. Could you imagine having to go to the book store for a patch to a novel? It doesn't make fuckin' sense, so why do we have to put up with it?!?

=-Rigs-= IS NOT HAPPY!

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2011, 03:05.

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Public Demo Nears
1. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Public Demo Nears Nov 23, 2011, 03:38 Rigs

• Voxel asteroids – over 8 kilometers in size!

• Bitchin!
  • Fully destructible environments

• Awesome!
  • Over 300 space ships on a screen

• Cool!
  • Build & Fight In Real-Time

• Bad Ass!
  • Create sectors, fortresses and space stations - Share your creations online

• Totally!
  • Best works will get into the official campaign!

• Tubular!
  • Use Voxel hand to build and destroy voxel objects

• Sick!
  • First person and third person camera

• Hot!
  • Intuitive six degrees of freedom

• Kick Ass!
  • State of the art rendering technology

• Magnirrific!
  • Travel the whole Solar System

• Boss!
  • Fully persistent world

• Rockin'!
  • Harvest the Ore

• Word!
  • Tens of minerals and surfaces to Discover, Mine and Trade

• Stupendous!
  • Epic story campaign in rich game universe

• Excellentaie`!
  • Fanatical community supported by developers

• Spantastic!

I thought I'd even it out a little bit...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Panzer Corps Demo
    2. Re: Panzer Corps Demo Nov 22, 2011, 19:12 Rigs

A worthy successor to Panzer General! About f'n time, too...

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän!

=-Rigs-=

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2011, 03:57 Rigs

Happy Birthday, o' mighty Blue!

Geez, that's makes you....Holy!...wait, that makes me....Shit!...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
    33. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 03:48 Rigs

*Jumps into recliner with big bowl of popcorn*...

Well since there's shit on tv tonight anyway... don't mind me... Popcorn

Oh, wait..wait...gotta go put my new Snuggies on first!

... *runs into bedroom*...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek Online F2P Delayed to January 2012
    4. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Delayed to January 2012 Nov 11, 2011, 13:32 Rigs

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dying, but it definitely didn't burn the house down. It's still a good MMO and quite fun. I'd be very surprised if they closed this one up any time soon. Too much work has gone into it and there are too many 'Trekies' out there with money to burn. This new Star Trek MMO coming out might give it some competition but they're different types of games so they should co-exist. In this instance, more is better. Having a hundred WoW clones obviously detracts from each one, but having more than one Star Trek MMO, each with a different spin on the gameplay, is a good thing and keeps Star Trek front and center in the minds of gamers...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gameforge Layoffs - Star Trek: Infinite Space in Jeopardy
    1. Re: Gameforge Layoffs - Star Trek: Infinite Space in Jeopardy Nov 3, 2011, 12:04 Rigs

Fffffffffffffffffff... *facepalm*

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!

I was really looking forward to this! With STO fixing to turn into FreeToPlay, I was hoping this would compliment the other and maybe the combination of the two would help make the 'ultimate' online Star Trek game...but now...Grrr...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Rumors
    24. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Rumors Oct 27, 2011, 09:00 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 08:15:
    I can't help but imagine this was typed on a keyboard permanently stained Cheeto-orange.

HA!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Garriott's NCsoft Award Upheld
    16. Re: Garriott's NCsoft Award Upheld Oct 26, 2011, 15:39 Rigs

haters be hatin'

Yup, and trollers be trollin'...just another day on the Interwebz...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Postal III in December?
    11. Re: Postal III in December? Oct 22, 2011, 03:24 Rigs

I swear Vince Desi must be selling coke out of the Running With Scissors offices or something. I don't know how a company that's released two critical and sales bombs--the last of which came out 8 years ago--can survive long enough to finally finish this,

One of the wonders of nature I suppose. Devs that actually have something worth spending time and money on get no love and end up in the shithouse but devs that seemingly goof off for years keep going and going without ever releasing anything tangible (ie 3D Realms) or total inane crap (ie Postal and RWS). I actually hadn't played but the demo of Postal2 until about three weeks ago when a friend who honestly does more goofing off, chasing ass and getting drunk than any one person should be legally allowed to, gave me his prized Postal collection because his latest 'conquest' cut him off (no nookie) unless he got rid of his 'silly kid shit'. Yeah, one of those types. Real bitch if you ask me but she seems to hold some mystical spell over him (or maybe just his dick, who's to say, really? I sure don't fuckin' ask)...

So, anyway, he had all the little Postal expansions and even the first one that came in a collection...the 'Fudge Pack' I think it's called (of all things, not that I'm surprised). I installed it just to see what the rest of the game was like as the demo hadn't left me with anything anywhere worth wanting to go on with. An hour later I was ready to burn the whole thing in a front yard ritual to ask for forgiveness from the Gods who had forsaken me. Geezus was it bad! Then again, anyone that's played it would know already. Just on technical merits alone. What was it, the Quake2 engine? Quake 1? The original Unreal-engine? My god...the horror.

How anyone could get any kind of enjoyment out of that crap is beyond me, seriously. I'm all for violence for the sake of violence, at least in games (because it's a fuckin' game and I'm smart enough to know the fuckin' difference, thank you Mr. Thompson!) but it's not the violence aspect that bothered me. Well, ok, I think the whole peeing thing is just juvenile in the extreme. And a cat silencer? This is the kind of crap that the tween boys smuggle into school to share with their friends because they're parents won't buy it for them. You know the type, the ones that think they're bad-ass because they read motocross magazines and go to skateboard parks on the weekends and swear any chance they get. The ones that find cute little furry animals and then bury them up to their furry heads and grab the lawn mower. Yeah, them. No, what bothered me was that, as a game, it's a joke and not in a good way. I've seen mods of other games with better production values. The load times on my machine for in-level loads are unacceptable. The canned animations are stiff and clunky. Half Life 2 this ain't. I find it funny that they're using the source engine on the third one. Always behind the times, this one will be no different. But then again, maybe it doesn't even matter. They've apparently stumbled upon the secret to success that even 3D Realms couldn't figure out. And by success I mean staying alive. Not actually putting out a quality product that everyone wants.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On World of Darkness
    5. Re: On World of Darkness Oct 20, 2011, 22:55 Rigs

Hrm, what was it Hudson said in Aliens again?

"Ahhhhhhahahhaharrrrrggghhhhsssh!!!"

or something like that, hard to pronounce using a keyboard...

'Well, that's great...that's fuckin' great, man! Now what the fuck are we supposed to do?! We're in some real pretty shit now, man!!....That's it, man, game over, man, GAME OVER! What the fuck we gonna do now?! Whatta we gonna do?!?"

------

"Maybe we can build a fire...sing a couple of songs, huh?! Why don't we try that?!"

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2011, 23:04.

News Comments > Sledgehammer's CoD "Probably" Cancelled
    4. Re: Sledgehammer's CoD Oct 18, 2011, 15:04 Rigs

Smart decision/move, as it would have been a niched market, and most likely a very small one.

I dunno 'bout that, as WH40k Space Marine is selling pretty well and is 3rd person. Had you asked me if that was going to be a big hit as a 3rd person shooter, I'd probably have told you 'not a chance'. You can never tell nowadays in this industry. Things you'd think would do very well end up sinking like stones while stuff that looks marginal happens to be best-selling material...I don't know whether I'm happy about that or not, though...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans
    17. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 05:25 Rigs

Thank you, Krowen, for making my point...but you're going to have to buy your own cookie, I'm broke...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans
    15. Re: No TrackMania 2 Demo Plans Oct 2, 2011, 04:52 Rigs

If you have no job and you can get something temporarily would you take that over nothing? If you say no they you are a lazy ass mooch. Keep collecting unemployment.

I take serious issue with that statement. I've been out of work for nearly 8 years and from the outside it would look like I was just a lazy son-of-a-bitch. My ex is fond of telling me to 'just go and get a job at like McDonalds, at least it's something'. True only if you don't actually look into the details more...

So let's look at that as an example. I get a job at good ol' MickeyD's and since so many are applying on a daily basis, they hire quite a few people in addition to me, knowing turnover is going to be high. Why? Well, they only have so much allocated for paying employees and if there are several more hired than normal, it's still the same pie, but everyone gets a smaller piece. So I might technically be hired 'full-time', but only get 15-20 hours, 3- 4 days a week. But this isn't constant and some weeks I might get 15 hours and others 35 hours. Plus hours if I cover someone who has called in, quit or left early. So, I can't really rely on having a set amount every week or month, which means paying bills becomes a stress filled adventure in itself.

The next variable is gas. I need to get to work and that requires (where I live, at least) having a car. Gas being over $3/gallon and my car getting around 15 -20 miles per gallon isn't the best combination but it could be worse. I also live in a rather rural area, which puts gas at a premium. Another variable is the oft-mentioned 'look for another job while you work this one'. Ah, but there's a catch to that too, unless you have NO other responsibilities other than going to work and sleeping...

It all boils down to this...if you get a minimum wage job with part-time hours (even if you're supposedly 'full-time'), you're shooting yourself in the foot just to say 'I have a job!'. Instead, you can work 'full-time' on getting something that's actually worth the time and effort. There are other variables in at least my decision not to try for the lowest common denominator, but I feel that many aren't going to see it as I do and just latch on to the fact that I'm jobless and I'm turning my nose up at a 'perfectly good' job. You needn't argue with me as I've heard your counter-points before. You're going to see my post as just excuses because it doesn't mesh with the politically correct way of dealing with this kind of thing. I think it's more important that you get off your moral soapbox and try to see that the world isn't as easily cut and dry all over...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make an argument as to why someone doesn't have to work, at all. That's not what I'm saying here. I continue to look for work but with the rest of my other responsibilities, it becomes difficult. I don't have time to fuck around with stuck up HR stooges that think they're God or those that act like I skinned a kitten alive in front of a room full of school children because there are serious gaps in my employment history. Nobody's perfect and I have legitimate reasons for those gaps but, sadly, most of said stooges won't even get past the point that I have them to begin with...

Oh, and I want to point out right now that I do not collect any sort of welfare, unemployment or disability/SSI, so if you were about to rail on me for that, I suggest keeping that foot in your mouth...

=-Rigs-=

1697 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 41.
    < Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo