Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1724 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 22:26 Rigs

JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:14:
I'm simply waiting to review LoP until it's playable.

I absolutely respect your reviews and read every one but, personally, I don't agree with this decision. Game reviews are meant to be representative of what the average Joe Gamer gets when he buys a game that's available right now. To hold off on a review opens up a bigger conundrum. Kalypso have said they'll patch it up all nice and pretty. What if, for some reason, they don't? (What reason? Humor me...) And really, that's not even the point. Sure, you held off this time. It may pay off, it may not. All you can do is look at it as it is right now. Daikatana was patched up too, but did anyone give a shit? Well, I did, because I played it. But no one else did. Game mag reviewers didn't go back six months/a year post-launch and pull the crucifix from poor John's bloodied forehead (consequently while he mumbled 'More frogs!' silently to himself in a daze) I wouldn't have expected them to either.

I could see having a follow-up type of review a little later down the line to say whether they did actually manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat, but I think it would be a dis-service to your readers and your reputation to not say anything about it...

Just my opinion, a loyal reader, nothing more....

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 15:12 Rigs

IMO, going into any job nowadays thinking it's going to last is nuts. Seriously. There's no such thing as 'Job Security' anymore. Scary...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 08:17 Rigs

What the hell does political affiliation have to do with it?!?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
45. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 02:32 Rigs

ONLive (as we knew it) IS DEAD!

And they completely screwed the lower-ranked employees...assholes...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 01:23 Rigs

*frantically clicks on wheredemtitsgo.com*

God, NO! Not Munn's! No, no, no! Anybody's but hers!

They were so...And the way they... *cries hysterically*

Ahem!

Anyway, not bad. I wonder how many rolls of tape they had to use to flatten them out for the close-ups?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:24 Rigs

Maybe if we tell them we don't want a sequel to the best damn Star Wars combat space-sim ever made, they'll actually do it?

I say that not exactly knowing how it was, to be honest. Risking my membership in the 'Hardcore Gamer' club, I need to say that I never played Tie Fighter.

*Hushed Silence*

Seriously, I played X-Wing to death (literally, the 3.5" inch floppies fell apart after five years of constant use) and because I was playing X-Wing so much (and it's expansions), while I knew very well about Tie Fighter, I never bought it. This one tops my list of games that I wished I had gotten back in the day but, for some reason, never did. (Some others include 1942: Pacific Air War and Aces Over Europe, both I was very aware of but was still engrossed in Aces of the Pacific to get). Even to this day, though I have a download of the original and the cd enhanced version specially tailored for use in DOSBox, I haven't played it. I pretty much went from the original X-Wing to X-Wing Alliance, without playing any of the games in-between (X-wing vs Tie Fighter demo being an exception). BUT! Having said that, I do possess a VERY early demo of Tie Fighter. It came on two 3.5" floppies in a gaming mag and was part of an advertisement for the 'new' Dodge Neon (that's how old it is). It featured one mission that may or may not have been in the full game. I'm just not sure. However, the game itself is a curiosity because while you're in a new cockpit (a Tie Fighter), the X-Wing graphics engine is still being used. Basically it was an alpha demo, as the things that had been changed to that point would constitute a major MOD, not a whole different game. Playing it, you can tell that it's X-Wing with a different cockpit and your friend/enemy indicators switched. The demo itself goes on forever, basically a gauntlet. The longest I was ever able to stay alive was around two hours, but after an hour or so they start throwing A-Wings at you (from Rogue Squadron, no less) and it's VERY hard to keep from getting blown up by their concussion missiles...

tl;dr - I didn't play Tie Fighter but still would like to eventually and yes, LA should make a new one...

*whew*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > SimCity Mac Plans
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:06 Rigs

*cricket jumps on tumbleweed*

...*silence*...

Much better...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Mars: War Logs Announced
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:05 Rigs

Bad Curiosity! Bad!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:01 Rigs

I only act out 'cause I want your love...DYNOMITE! Allthumbsup

News Comments > Dishonored PC Specs
19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 19:57 Rigs

...which is why you see so many games specifically made for DX11 not supporting DX9 and vice versa.

So how do you explain the DX11 patches for Crysis and the like?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dead Space 3 February Dates Narrowed
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 19:30 Rigs

WTF is it with Febuary 2013? Crysis 3, Dead Space, Simcity...all in the same month. Maybe they're picking any arbitrary month after December 21, 2012 'cause they know the world is gonna go 'BOOM' before they release it anyway...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dishonored PC Specs
14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 17:52 Rigs

Minimum Specs put my 'lowly' 512mb HD4870 out of action and a question mark on my 1gb HD5770...they do know that there are vid-cards before the 5800-series that have more than 764mb of on-board RAM, right? Maybe it's time to retire the old girl, she's seen me through 2 Crysis' (Crysi?) without a hitch and was looking forward to seeing how she did on the third, but I realize now that I'm not going to be able to see the game as intended with it...Dishonored is DX9 only, so I don't understand the vid card requirement?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > F1 2012 on September 18
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 12:50 Rigs

Now see, I'm like the opposite of you guys in that I play F1 sims and follow it casually, I'm not a huge fan of it. I was actually a big fan of F1 back in the early 90's but after Senna's death, I kinda just stopped watching. Nascar took up a lot of my time already and kinda just took over. Indycar also. It's strange but, like WW2 air combat sims, I learned about most of the details of each kind of racing from sims...lol...Although, honestly, if you asked me anything about F1 other than superficial stuff, I'd embarrass myself in the little bit that I know about it nowadays. Most races are aired during the night here, where as Nascar races are pretty much on standard Saturday or Sunday afternoon schedules. I'm curious to know why Nascar doesn't get a lot of exposure outside the US. Is it just because 'they go around in circles'? I kinda can't believe that that would be the only real reason it doesn't appeal to international viewers. There's got to be another reason...

As for Forza and Gran Turismo, I have the first Forza on my original Xbox, which I actually do play occasionally. I've spent a lot of hours on it and it's hard to just put it away when something newer comes out. GT5 was an obsession for a while too but it came out right when I was going through a bit of a burn out (no pun intended) on racing sims, so I didn't really spend that much time on it that I normally would have. I had played a lot of the GT5 Prolog and I've been easing back into GT5 itself over the last few months. Summer is usually a lean time for sims for some reason so it gives me a chance to catch up on the ones I haven't gotten to much or even to explore other genres (You mean there's other kinds of sims?! No way!)...

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 07:17 Rigs

That would be true if all I did was race on iRacing all day (or rFactor, Race07/GTREvo/GTR2, GameStockCar, NR2003, RFactor2, F120xx, Grid/Dirt, LFS/netKar/projectCars) but I also race GT5 on my PS3, which my G25 works very well on. My point is that aside from the mods to various established PC-centric racing sims (especially in rFactor and NR2003), there are literally no NASCAR-themed racing sims, even though the sport is just as popular now as it was when there were 3 or 4 different series of Nascar sims (Nascar Racing, Nascar Heat, Nascar SimRacing, ARCA Racing). The genre is certainly alive and very well, as you pointed out, but the lack of a dedicated Nascar sim is really disappointing, to say the least. The EA version on the consoles, while 'better' than earlier iterations (like *gag* Nascar Thunder *shudder*), is still very much an arcade game. I've played it on my PS3 with my wheel and it's...ok. A sim it is not but it's a nice time waster when you acknowledge and accept to yourself that that's all it is and nothing more. The consoles nowadays could easily handle a true sim if any dev was willing to make one. The NFS Shift series and the current F1 20xx series is testament to that. Shift's sim qualities are debatable but I've found that it really relies on one's perception of what a true sim is and how 'hardcore' one needs a sim to be to be called legit. Myself, I enjoyed Shift and Shift2 quite a bit and still hop in on occasion, on both the PC and my PS3. Same with F1. I'm not as picky as some sim racers and I won't turn my nose up at a game that might be more to the arcade side of things, as long as it feels good to run. I've spent too many hours on GPL, Nascar Racing and rFactor1/2 to worry that I might be getting 'soft...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Legends of Pegasus
15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 06:57 Rigs

This is why we still, even in these 'advanced times', need a frackin' DEMO! Hello?!? If there isn't a demo and there's some bad press/word of mouth going around, the people 'on the fence' are going to do one of three things:

1. Hold off for the time being and either forget about it completely (especially if something much more superior comes around in the meantime) or waits until there's a 80%-off sale...

2. Buy it anyway and hope they don't get screwed again...

3. DOWNLOAD IT! And since there's no demo, where the hell do you think they'll get it from?

EXACTLY.

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 04:12 Rigs

Agreed. I'm not much of a football fan (I do watch it, especially my boys, The NY NJ Giants) and playing it on a console or PC only strikes me when I'm in the mood. It's not a 'must-have' for me. Sim-racing, on the other hand, is my passion, and since Papyrus died, the only yearly racing series was/is F1. I just wish someone would put as much effort into a NASCAR or Indy sim every year as they do rally or F1 (don't even get me started on EA's wannabe NASCAR junk. They only came close with NASCAR SimRacing a few years back and nothing even worth it since)...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 04:03 Rigs

Wow...I got this when it first came out, which was...2001?!? Holy Geezus! It's the Everquest of WW2MMORPG's...I remember picking this up right at launch at CompUSA in NJ, along with B17 2: The Mighty Eighth, M1 Tank Platoon 2 and Gunship!, all three from long passed (and dear old friend) Microprose. That's how f'ing old this game is! And I remember trying to play it when it launched too, and failing miserably. Not only was the thing more buggy than a south Louisiana bayou during a mid-summer afternoon, it took three separate steps to just fire a rifle! Ah, the good ol' days...I'm seriously surprised that it's still going after all of these years! I might have to try it again just to see how it's 'matured'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > WARFRAME Trailer
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2012, 05:26 Rigs

WHY GOD?! WHY?!? Why with all the absolutely awesome indie projects out there on Kickstarter (I'm not saying all of them are worthy, but there are a good number of projects, like 'Star Command' and the new 'Carmageddon' , etc...), are publishers completely convinced the industry needs another F2PFPS?! The money wasted on a wannabe, barely popular online FPS could easily fund outright many games that are breaking the mold in innovating, uniqueness, taking risks and catering to the gamers wishes. It just seems like such a huge waste of talent, money and time/resources much better spent elsewhere... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2012, 00:54 Rigs

Dades wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 19:33:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
Oh the irony.

Oh the irony!

Oh, the irony.

Wait, what? I lost track! Do it again!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battle.net Security Breach
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2012, 19:36 Rigs

What data was affected?
Here's a summary of the data that we know was illegally accessed:
North American-based accounts, including players from Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia

Email addresses
Answers to secret security questions
Cryptographically scrambled versions of passwords (not actual passwords)
Information associated with the Mobile Authenticator
Information associated with the Dial-in Authenticator
Information associated with Phone Lock, a security system associated with Taiwan accounts only

Accounts from all global regions outside of China (including Europe and Russia)

Email addresses

China-based accounts

Unaffected

At this time, there’s no evidence that financial information of any kind has been accessed. This includes credit cards, billing addresses, names, or other payment information.

I'm just gonna go on a hunch here and assume that the 'hackers' were, oh, I dunno, Chinese maybe? How long is this country (and the world for that matter) going to put up with these bullshit games China is playing?! If we kept getting caught with our virtual schlongs in the honey pot, so to speak, how long do you think they would put up with it before using it as an excuse to start a war, maybe with Taiwan? Yet we sit back and just zip our fly's back up and say, 'Oh you crazy Chinese! Always into something, eh?! Silly, at least use some lube next time, huh?' ....

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2012, 01:00.

1724 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo