Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1597 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2012, 21:53 Rigs

So...the game isn't like the snazzy cutscenes?

Shocked, I am...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 14:08 Rigs

Meh, they gotta make money, just like everyone else. What I don't get is why the beta drivers are 20mb more than the normal ones? And what the hell is in 150mb? I mean, c'mon, just give me the changed stuff, not the whole damn thing again and again! Just because I have broadband doesn't mean I still want to wait the 10mins and waste the 100+mb of disk space on a damn video driver! Yeah, it's petty, but valid...

So, let's get some opinions in here of the 'real world' improvements. I'm curious if anyone sees any kind of speed enhancements with older cards, like my HD5770...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 00:55 Rigs

I'm suitably...not impressed...

It's like they try to spotlight a few particular effects to the detriment of the others. I agree, the 'human' walking (the intro description says a woman...or 'she' anyway, no necessarily human) looks extremely corny. Like the cloak they're wearing is made out of inflated rubber or maybe jello...no, Jabba the Hutts tail painted black?

You want a 'tech demo' to blow you away, go back to 1997 and watch the tech-demo-turned-sim X. Before it became a game, it was just a little tech demo, running on new Pentium200 rigs in Circuit City. I happened to see it one day and I'll never forget the feeling. My jaw was wide open for the entire 7 mins it played. From then on I vowed to get a machine that could run it adequately...and I did, several months later, roughly a year and a half before X came out as a space-sim, I was the proud owner of a P2/400 with 128mb of RAM and the kick-ass combo of a Rendition-based Diamond Stealth S220 and a 3dfx Voodoo2-based Diamond Monster 3D 2 video card combo of epic proportions. Life was good after that, life was good...*sigh*...so, uh, what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Valve and Adult Swim Teaming Up
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2012, 23:59 Rigs

New Squidbillies mode! There had better be a donkey dong hat or I'm gonna be sorely disappointed!

Now slap that pig! Wah-HOO!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 18:52 Rigs

Yes! YES! BAKE UNDER THE OPPRESSIVE HEAT!

Find that after a few hours of playing Diablo3, you're sitting in a puddle....OF SWEAT!

Now you all know what I have endured all of these long years! Every single year, (now 15 years going on a hundred) from April until November! Dew points and temperatures doing a dance, daring one to get as close as it can to the other. Meanwhile, the lawn needs to be mowed twice a week! That machete over there in the corner? I cut the air with it! Yes, indeed, sometimes so thick you think if it was colored you might actually find out what it's like to live in JELLO!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN...of SWEAT!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Jun 11, 2012, 20:07 Rigs

No news just tells me they're busy building a great sim...if you're really curious, sign the NDA and get the behind-the-scenes story...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > John Carmack's VR Headset
21. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 09:54 Rigs

RailWizard wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:27:
No. It's a gimick and it's even worse than 3d. 3D is backwards compatible with everything more or less, VR isn't. You won't be playing any of our FPS's with it, or if you do, you will suck hard. A little common sense is all it takes...your head movement is going to replace the mouse? lol ok.

So all of us who play the DCS sims and rFactor/GTR/iRacing and use TrackIR are just chumps? Don't knock it 'til you try it, bud...

I recently had to play A-10 without my TrackIR, since I loaned it to a friend for a few days weeks (grrrr...), and I felt naked and clumsy, like a noob...Now, if we can get some decent res out of these headsets, then I'm all for it! Sure beats the shit out of '3D', which only gives me a massive headache. Fully realized VR? Probably not in my lifetime, though my daughter might eventually have a kickin' setup in a few decades...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > StarForge Demo
7. Re: StarForge Demo Jun 1, 2012, 02:48 Rigs

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 22:37:
Holy shit, where did this come from? Looks AWESOME.

Took the words right outta my mouth....HOLY SHIT!!! And we're not talking Priest or Cardinal shit here, not ah, no sir! We're full-bore POPE SHIT!!

There is only one other game in the whole 27+ years I've been playing PC/console games that ever left me stunned to silence and mouth agape - that was the tech demo running on an HP Pentium2/233 of a game that was soon to be named, 'X: Beyond The Frontier', in 1997! It was in a Circuit City, a few months before getting a brand new P2/400 (on ASUS's legendary P2B motherboard w/Intels 440BX chipset). I liked to pop in there once in a while to see the newer systems but I wasn't prepared to see what I did. I literally couldn't move! I stood there in shocked silence and watched the tech demo run through. Faint My fiance` at the time tried very hard to get me out of the store but I wasn't budging! I still remember like it was yesterday. It's almost comical to watch now, with it's blurry textures and crooked background starfield. Oh, but I was entranced then! Right there, that day, I promised myself I would find out what that demo was for and get a system that could run it full bore. Two years later, in early 2000, after wearing out the demo, I finally had the full version box in my hands and I was in heaven! PURE BLISS! It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough, and I've been with the series, on it's beta teams and getting every version that comes out...

But now, my god! NOW, there's something that even I dare say X: REBIRTH can't even touch! This game, when playable (almost like it took a page out of the tech demo handbook, it's very difficult to get running correctly at any decent FPS), gives me that same rush I've been without for so many years! This trailer blew me away, it showed everything I ever wanted in a Minecraft/X/HALO/RedFaction type of game! All of those games and then some! Accurate physics! Freedom to go anywhere! Do anything! Seriously, this is what a lot of us have been waiting for, this is the leap the genre needed...and just like before - it came out of NOWHERE! God, I fucking love it when that happens! Woohoo

This thing just oozes potential from every pore! If any dev group deserved a Kickstarter, it's these guys. This thing isn't some re-boot or rehash of the same ground, or a re-do of an earlier game. This thing is unique, a combination of many games and genres and it needs to be supported and the higher-ups out there in publisher land need to be shown what we want to see! More like this please! BLOW MY @#$% MIND! PLEASE!!! Please

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2012, 02:55.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Revealed
3. Re: Star Wars 1313 Revealed Jun 1, 2012, 01:45 Rigs

All they have to do to get the begrudging respect of the gaming community again is develop and release an up-to-date version of XWing or Tie Fighter. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out! Why is it the games we want most are the games no one wants to make?! I would lease my soul out for Microprose to be resurrected from the ashes and begin making kick-ass updates to all of their old sims. Same for LucasArts. I mean, who the hell wouldn't want an updated 'Their Finest Hour' or 'Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe' (and I mean same quality too, not the travesty of the similar sounding game that came out a few years ago!), or MPS's 1942: Pacific Air War, B-17 (a worthy version!), tricked out Gunship2000, ATAC, F-15 Strike Eagle, WORLD CIRCUIT (F1GP for those foreigners out there ) or my personal fav, TASK FORCE 1942?!?

C'MON, what's it gonna take?! Pray

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 05:24 Rigs

Was going through my pc gaming mag archive (nearly 400 magazines, from three main ones - Computer Gaming World (June 1992 up), PC Gamer (first issue up and some before the rename/relaunch in 1994) and NEXT Gen (man I miss that mag! It was so professionally done and on quality paper stock to top it off, I have every issue from the first to the third volume and then scattered as the quality fell off) and others like Game Players, PC Accelerator (another I miss dearly!)) and Computer and Video Games Review) and I ran into a preview of HALO as it was originally intended, as an RTS. (Yes, in case you didn't know, it was suppose to be more like HALO Wars than an FPS and for Mac only at first as well) Most of the core concepts, at least in design, are there but besides that, wow. So it went from a Mac-exclusive RTS to a Mac/PC RTS to a PC RTS to a PC FPS and then over to an Xbox exclusive FPS. I'm an unapologetic HALO fanboy, so in any form I'm down with it, but I would have loved to play it's original vision...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > ZeniMax Trademarks Dragonborn
9. Re: ZeniMax Trademarks Dragonborn May 20, 2012, 17:39 Rigs

Does this mean Dan Bull will have to pay royalties for his Skyrim Epic Rap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50u0zUeCmU

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013?
9. Re: 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013? May 19, 2012, 04:49 Rigs

cento wrote on May 19, 2012, 04:16:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2012, 23:26:
Vanguard would have been a lot better had the studio not been headed up by a drug addict with delusions of grandeur who wasted a lot of time.

But that describes so many people with power in the game industry...

Two spring to mind right off the bat - Brian Fargo and, dare I say it, Derek Smart... *turns the lights off, closes the window blinds and curtains, crawls into bathtub with flashlight, blanky, teddy bear and shotgun, along with laptop and pirated version of Desktop Commander*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Jutland Pro Free Weekend
3. Re: Jutland Pro Free Weekend May 19, 2012, 04:30 Rigs

Hmmm....

Some here, including this one... (crank up the excellent, if unusual, music choice)

EDIT: Wanted to add that the at around 5:07 of that specific movie linked above, you can see the exceptional results of the location-based damage! While I would have preferred more smoke and fire, I have to admit that since I've never actually been on a battleship while it's being pummeled out of existence, this is probably the closest thing and it's beautiful to watch...not to mention terrifying to consider that if such a thing were happening in the real world, you'd be witnessing the death of hundreds of crew, more than likely in some very gruesome ways...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 19, 2012, 04:43.

News Comments > Jutland Pro Free Weekend
1. Re: Jutland Pro Free Weekend May 18, 2012, 22:50 Rigs

Already playing...seriously, any naval warfare nuts out there, this sim rocks! And it IS a sim, everything is real physics at work, especially ballistics. What we need right now is a worthy successor to Task Force 1942! If someone started a Kickstarter on that, I'd be ALL over it! I think many others would be too! (Maybe include carriers in it this time? Not as a focus, but a possible inclusion in some scenarios. Who doesn't love sinking those massive things?) StormEagle, are you listening?!?

In the meantime, enjoy this excellent WW1-era naval sim! There isn't another one like it out there, I promise you that!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013?
4. Re: 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013? May 18, 2012, 22:38 Rigs

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:44:
Yeah, but they're (the RI taxpayers) are still F'd in the A unless 38 can secure funding to not only pay off the 112 million (and interest is still accumulating) but finish this game as well. And who the hell is going to give them the 10's of millions they'll obviously need to finish it at this point? I'll be mighty surprised if anyone steps up to the plate for this. Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a 1,000,000 ft pole.

Tell ya what, I'll pay them if you can actually lift that million foot pole...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer
10. Re: New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer May 17, 2012, 09:49 Rigs

Ozmodan wrote on May 17, 2012, 09:14:
In my opinion this is more like DLC than it is a major game change. Sound to me like the developers are looking to soak people who like their past games. Definitely not worth $40.

If you were in the beta, you'd know that there's a lot more here than just a few little 'expansion-type' additions. Everything has been tweaked and given a once over. The graphics engine has been tweaked even more than in Diplomacy. (They typically work on the graphics engine with every expansion anyway) The pace of the game is slightly faster than before. It slowed wayyy down for Entrenchment for all the defense players (of which I consider myself one). I'm not sure if I'm all for the faster pace. Maybe that's just because my style is to sit and build a strong defense instead of going on the offense right away. To each, their own, I guess. Just know there are a lot of things that have been modified and worked on to make Rebellion a worthy expansion/'sequel'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer
4. Re: New Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta & Trailer May 17, 2012, 01:04 Rigs

loomy wrote on May 16, 2012, 21:38:
I played this game and some others like it and found them all primitive and terrible

As compared to what? Inquisitive

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > 38 Studios Missed Payment; Asking for Cash
5. Re: 38 Studios Missed Payment; Asking for Cash May 17, 2012, 01:01 Rigs

They should be looking at seizing all assets and chattels to auction off and recoup what they can.

Except that will never happen, given how public this situation is. That would mean that local government made a mistake, gave money to someone that wasn't worthy (and the public found out about the whole thing or knew from the start) and now that it failed miserably (what the hell do they do with all this money?! $75 MILLION?! Think about that for a second. No way operating expenses went that high. Not a chance. It was wasted, plain and simple) they have to find a way to come out of it without having to resign. Auctioning the assets would be the smart thing, but it will be the last resort...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 13, 2012, 02:28 Rigs

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 black laser for about 6 years now and besides the annoying habit of grabbing more than one piece of paper from the pile (and thus jamming the whole thing up nice and tight), it's been a real good $120 investment. When I walked into Best Buy that day and saw it, I wasn't looking for a printer but I always had wanted a laser printer for it's speed and clarity, and seeing the low price, I got the last one from the shelf. The original toner cart that came with it lasted me four years! No lie, though, granted, I don't print much and certainly not every day, nor every week for that matter. I was still surprised though. In fact, the reason I changed it wasn't because it was going out, it was because I thought it might be the reason for the paper jams and grabbing of more than one piece at a time. I later attributed it to the printer being moved around all the time and possibly being bumped or slightly dropped, thus misaligning some important component. That's the only reason I can come up with, as I've changed the toner cart twice since and the problem remains. I would never go back to inkjet printers again. If anything, I'd save up for a color laser now. My mom has a huge all-in-one HP printer/scanner/fax monstrosity that my late sister had bought but never used. She loves it as it has extensive photo printing capabilities (a Photosmart 3310). I kinda tolerate it since it has wired/wireless administration and remote printing...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Binary Domain Demo
14. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 12, 2012, 21:20 Rigs

ledhead1969 wrote on May 12, 2012, 20:15:
I never really understood this. The controls, aiming, shooting are exactly the same as a FPS but you get to see your character and any any cool armor/weapons/effects ect. Do you not like part of your screen being blocked? Do you like the smaller FOV? Or, just miss the sort of immersion aspect of full FPS.

Yes.

=-Rigs-=

1597 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo