Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1700 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Chaos on Deponia
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 17:00 Rigs

Grendle wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 07:24:
Whatever happened to the gone gold website? Did the author pass away from cancer? I know that he did have it. I used to go there all of the time. <sigh>

I'm not exactly sure, really. It disappeared during a time when I was going through a lot of personal and family issues including a divorce and when I was able to sit, relax and check in on what I'd missed, it was gone...literally. I seem to remember before that that it was branching out and including some other writers and maybe different blogs and such, but the memory is pretty hazy. I never thought to check Wikipedia to see if there was something there...

...and I found nothing there but snooping around the last few hours gave me this:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=41563

Keep in mind the bulk of the drama was actually over *ConsoleGold*, which was another site Rich owned the domain for and was sort of a spin-off of GoneGold.

There was a bit of drama over GoneGold's demise, but the bulk of the bitterness towards Rich regarding GoneGold was because the site went down with no warning, leaving the community, and the forum staff, without a clue as to why, and trying to figure out what to do as a result. It's like someone shutdown your favorite hangout, which you helped build, without so much as a "Later guys!" note on the door.

A lot of people were also genuinely concerned about what happened to Rich, having talked to him via email (and in some cases in real life). He'd shared his history and health issues with a lot of people, and a lot of those folks considered him a friend.

And of course there were the people who had donated to the site fairly close to the time the server went dark in a hope to get the problems with the server (which crashed *all* the time) fixed. I believe those folks got their money back, but I could be wrong.

And..

So what does the Octopus Overlords site have to do with this? I spent a lot of time on GG, and do remember it just closing down with no warning, and eventually found OO (and this site). Was OO just another spinoff from GG??

OO was founded by the forum staff from GoneGold. A lot of the forum members from GoneGold ended up there, or GamingTrend, or both.

[edit]

Just to be complete, the forum staff from GG actually setup a forum on brutesquad.net for a very short time before going with the OO moniker (which was at least partially voted on by the forum).

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rhode Island Sues Schilling and Others over 38 Studios Deal
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 13:23 Rigs

Why whenever I hear something to do with this do I see ION STORM and John Romero sitting on a throne wearing a gaudy gold king's crown and long red cape, holding a large gaudy gold chalice overflowing with bubbly poured from a long-necked bottle held by Stevie 'KillCreek' Case while they both laugh menacingly in a large, long throne room on top of a long, high tower...and from somewhere, out of nothing, I hear...

'You're still my bitch, you know'...

*shudders*

Ah, probably nothing...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 12:48 Rigs

I'd really like to be a fly on Larry Holland's wall right now, to be honest. All the great sims that came out of LA had his mark on them. Even when he wasn't there, Star Trek's Bridge Commander still has a massive modding scene all these years later (just go to Bridge Commander Central (BCC) to see).

*Closes eyes and tries to contact through The Force*

Sadly, it seems his Force Chat isn't online right now so I can't ask him myself...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 03:30 Rigs

mag wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 01:44:
I've never played a CoD. What do you mean?

Said the man from Mars...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - Chaos on Deponia
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 03:06 Rigs

'Gone Gold'...

Sigh

For a second there I was thinking of something totally different...back to a different time...

=-Rigs-=

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 21:31 Rigs

*Various Saints explanations*

Ahh, meesa understand now...

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 13:59 Rigs

...and Rigs paid the price for some bold picks with a 5-9 record.

Very nicely put, Blue. I would have just said I got my ass handed to me for trying to show off...

We didn't have Halloween here last year and this year was sort of an afterthought (though I swear it was more 'festive' this year...certainly more talked about than usual, last year I almost missed it completely), we were out of candy after 10 doorbells and crazy dog barking sessions (we have an 8 yr old Pomeranian with a big mouth and a 15 yr old poodle mix that can't hear and can barely see but when one starts, they both go...and go...and go...). The rest of the street was pretty noisy until around 10...

Anyway, my picks...I have to admit that I paid more attention to the NASCAR race than the football games, only to watch Jimmie Johnson win another race...damn punk!...at least Brad (Keslowski, #2) came in 6th and kept 2nd in the points, so I'm happy - for now...

Chargers, Cardinals, Ravens, Colts, Jaguars, Broncos, Titans, Redskins, Texans, Seahawks, Bucs, GIANTS, Falcons, Eagles

Edit: I just noticed everyone picking the Saints, may I inquire as to why?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 07:13 Rigs

I can see the uproar over the whole journalistic integrity thing involving reviews, but I don't understand the disdain of 'game journalists' promoting games they like. Like the picture he talks about with the guy sitting next to a table of Doritos, Mtn Dew and Halo4. So what? Why can beloved sports stars get millions for promoting and marketing but gamers can't? Yes, I understand the conflict of interest it would cause during a review. So just don't have that guy review the game. Simple. If it's clear someone is a fanboy of a certain game, find someone else to review it. I'm a non-apologetic HALO fanatic but could I be objective in a review of Halo4? Probably not. Obviously if MS gave me $10,000, a new 360 with HALO4, a lifetime supply of Doritos and Mtn Dew (I could only wish! ), I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously in a review of said game. But what's wrong with liking the game your reviewing? Or did I miss the point?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > HD Upgrades Free for Stronghold & Stronghold Crusader Owners
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 07:05 Rigs

If you go into the game not expecting a deep, detailed and intricate strategy wargame and more of a action RTS type, then it's not so bad. I think a lot of people see it and think it looks to be some sort of detailed medieval wargame and it's far from that. That said, they need to balance some of the issues out with them and that would make them so much more playable. I can see where the devs wanted to go with the games but it's like they just didn't know how...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 17:24 Rigs

jimnms wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 16:32:
BTW, has anyone else been having problem with YouTube lately? Videos seem to be stopping randomly between 10 and 30 seconds before it reaches the end. It's fucking pissing me off, even moving the slider back it will stop and jump back to the end. I have to take note of the exact time it stops and move the slider to 1 second past that to see the whole thing.

I've been having a problem for about the last two months with videos buffering about 1/3 and then stopping or when I change to 720p or 1080p, it takes forever and a day to buffer...and it's not on just one system, it's all of the ones in the house. If I go to videosift or watch a video on any other site, it's fine. Only Youtube does it. Now that is maddening...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Disney Acquires LucasArts
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 17:21 Rigs

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:08:
Edit:
New vehicle design revealed!

You'll be crying when that actually happens...

Wildone wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:05:
Yea its so dead Star Citizen raised over 2 million already..just dead int he mind of the console kiddies..

I didn't say it was dead, I said it's considered dead and niche...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Disney Acquires LucasArts
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 15:41 Rigs

While cautiously optimistic, you guys have to remember that in the original press release, they said that the new movie of the new trilogy was already being worked on and they had a plot for a while. Add that to the statement from Lucas that if he DID make another trilogy, the story would be NOTHING like what came out in the books, it has me hoping that I'm just being paranoid. I'm also wondering what this does to the live-action Clone Wars tv show? Is it coming out still or was it cancelled?

As for LucasArts...I think it will be some time before we ever here about the possibility of an X-Wing/Tie Fighter revival. Disney has money to make up and they're going to do that by throwing anything out there that they know will sell barrels and buckets. Keep in mind, the space-sim genre is thought to be dead and a 'niche' genre. I don't see them changing that any time soon. Though, if Roberts has a good release of Star Citizen, they might change their minds. And since they say they will probably just license it out, they might even give it to Roberts to make...which I like and don't like in equal quantities...

The only thing we can do right now, unfortunately, is sit and wait...like usual...

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 15:30 Rigs

Welcome back to civilization, Blue! I have to ask, did you really feel out of touch with the world with no access? Some people say they're ok with it, doesn't bother them and others say they freak out and think it's the end of the world. I'm curious...I know whenever the power goes out here (often), especially at night, that little voice in the back of my mind wonders if it's just a glitch or the beginning of a nuclear holocaust...Anyway, good to have you back, Blue! I got lots of news to catch up on, apparently...

Oh, and your honored underlings here think that the Blue->Black front page gradient would be swell!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in Spring
58. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 14:55 Rigs

entr0py wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:37:
That has been their MO with the series ever since GTA III. I think part of that strategy is the hope that some fans will actually buy the game twice. I admit I did with GTA III and Vice City; once on the PS2 because I couldn't wait, then again on PC for a better experience at a more reasonable price. Actually announcing the superior PC version is coming in a few months would cut down on the impulse console buys. But of course it will come.

You know, you guys are bitching but entropy already gave the game away...you and I know damn well *R will put out a PC version. They haven't NOT put out a GTA before on PC, why stop now, eh? Yes, yes, RDR wasn't ported. It's a shame and I really don't see WHY it wasn't. It doesn't do anything that makes it 'console exclusive'...really, it's just a wild-west GTA, almost to a tee...I think some of you guys get your knickers in a bunch on purpose...like instead of coffee or that line of coke, you come on here and bitch to get your blood flowin'...hey, whatever floats your boat, buddy...

=-Rigs-=

136. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:35 Rigs

Dev wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 22:55:
I know it's too much to ask, but really what's the chances of EP7 actually being about Thrawn?
O M G. If it were! That trilogy were THE BEST star wars books ever written. The story was incredible. That trilogy got me into buying basically ever star wars book that ever came out... until the last few years when they started killing off major characters, blowing up the galaxy, having his kids turn dark and kill each other, etc.

You know, I was just thinking about this very thing the other day...I got the feeling that they had just run out of ideas that far out from the original story. I mean, how many times can the galaxy be nearly obliterated? And how many times can you re-form a government and be taken seriously? How many different republics and 'alliances' have there been now? 4 or 5? And how they've nearly killed almost all of the 'next gen' of characters. Whatever happened to growing old? Hell, if Obi-Wan had been around for the extended universe, he probably wouldn't have made it past 40...

=-Rigs-=

135. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:24 Rigs

eDave wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 20:14:
Rigs wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 17:41:
Did I hear 'redesign'? I'm still waiting for those front page color gradients...*arms folded, taps foot*

Can't believe old school black is so un-preferred...

Well, it has been a while since the site was all black, so newer visitors might not even realize that it was that way before. I still think the Blue->Black gradient is the most appealing...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2012, 00:30.

89. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 17:41 Rigs

Did I hear 'redesign'? I'm still waiting for those front page color gradients...*arms folded, taps foot*

Good to hear the BlueTower is still standing...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Iron Sky: Invasion Delay
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 17:06 Rigs

Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:50:
I'm Dutch...

Creston

Holy geezus, that explains everything!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 14:01 Rigs

What a fuckin' disaster...

I don't even have to explain why, just use the damn thing for a while and you'll know...I hope MS survives this little sidetrip and then declares Win8 as dead as WindowsME and buries it just as fast...What a waste of time and money...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 13:55 Rigs

The cake is a lie, though. They had pie instead.

=-Rigs-=

1700 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo