Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1837 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon Scam Warning
2. Re: Darkest Dungeon Scam Warning Feb 23, 2015, 10:29 Rigs

Well, think about it. What's the worst that could happen? Yeah, you could be sued but if they aren't in the U.S., that's going to be hard to do. Arrested? No. Police have better things to do. This would be considered a 'civil matter' even though it is theft. This reminds me of the frauds that mark Youtube videos for copyright strikes just to get a day or so of ad funds out of it before it's rejected. Fucking bottom-feeders...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 20, 2015, 07:39 Rigs

These Minecraft-alikes, like Planet Explorers, are really burning me out. Almost like the RTS rush of the mid-90's and the WW2 shooter clones of the late 90's and early 2000's, these rogue-like survival games are becoming one big nightmarish mishmash of half-baked ideas and barely functional gameplay. I just spent the better part of 10 hours going through the latest versions of The Long Dark, Salt, Stranded Deep and Masterspace. Ugh. After that last one, I half expected to hear Jim Sterling's caw in my ear for how 'squirty' it was (as in 'squirty shit!').

Except for The Long Dark, they ALL need more time in the development oven. TLD is at least playable, in a Beta-Minecraft type of way. The core is there and now it's just time to bolt on the quarter-panels, hood and doors, so to speak. I really like that they've implemented a 'animals don't attack wussified-mode' for those of us that like our exploring without a side of wolf fangs to the jugular. Takes the suspense out of it, though, for the most part. There just isn't that much to go for other than trying to keep from freezing (which isn't that hard unless you try hard to fuck up) and keep your backpack weight to a minimum less you become 'Encumbered'. I'm still trying to figure out the whole 'End Game'-point to it. Is there one yet? Or am I just roaming around aimlessly? Certainly seems that way. And, thank you, Cutter, for letting me know about the newer version. The changes are substantial from when I had played last (version 1.36 versus version 2.00 now...2.00? Seems rather odd for an alpha to have a version 2.00, no?)

I haven't gotten into Planet Explorers or Starforge (I think that's the name of it) at all yet and from what I've been hearing, development on both seems to have slowed considerably, if not outright stopped altogether. A shame, they had promise, but not surprising when it comes to these kinds of 'games'...

*sigh*

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta
25. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Public Beta Feb 15, 2015, 16:26 Rigs

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 14:59:
Overon wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 14:53:
Accurate: "Closed public beta open to people who bought it already on Early Access"

Misleading: "Public beta"

No it's not, otherwise they would have called it an "open beta". Never once anywhere did anybody say there would be a free open beta. It's public because you, the public, can buy and play the game that is not exclusive to kickstarter backers.

You're BOTH wrong, it says 'Pubic Beta' so I guess they're making a character creator with various shaving options? I dunno... *shrugs*

I tried the first alpha release when it came out and my system ran it like a 486 running Quake2. Seriously, that's exactly what it felt like. I had to set all my options down to nil and even then, it stuttered and sucked all my RAM. Granted, my system is due an upgrade or two but still...I can play just about everything else (including Dragon Age: Inquisition, which I think is one of the most system straining games out there right now) with very little effort.

System: i5-750, HD7850/1GB, 6GB RAM

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2015, 16:35.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow
7. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Feb 14, 2015, 09:12 Rigs

Let me translate this for those that don't really know:

"1C Game Studios announces that development is underway on IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow, the long-rumored next installment in their combat flight simulation series."

"1C Game Studios realized that they needed another way to energize the dwindling base of paying patrons and restock the cash reserves after doing fuck-all with the near limitless material as The Battle For Stalingrad. To this end, they are announcing, on-the-sly, The Battle of Moscow, to make it look like they are begrudgingly putting information out there against their best wishes when, in fact, this was planned well in advance, once 1C realized the money train wasn't going to carry them to the CokeWhore Paradise they originally thought it would."

Bitter? Nah, what makes you say that?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 10, 2015, 20:31 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 14:14:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:56:
Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:30:
Holy crap could this Impact Winter game be ripping off anymore people? Just looking at their store page to start they're ripping off The Day After Tomorrow, Fallout, The Long Dark, and probably several other things too. It's going to suck.

Like how every fantasy RPG ever made rips off Tolkien? Or how Dying Light, L4D, DayZ, etc. ripped off Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later?

Besides, I thought you liked survival games that didn't include zombies?

I like the Long Dark. It's original for what it is. I don't mind derivative. After all, there's nothing new under the sun, but that's just straight up stealing in this case.

I haven't played The Long Dark since it's 1.3x version, I assume it's gotten better? The wolves and constant calorie count totally turned me off to it and I haven't played it since. Maybe I should take another look...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
4. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2015, 05:23 Rigs

While I don't have it personally, I've seen in Lets Play's and been told that both the jumps from system to system, where you end up in front of that system's star is pretty awesome and the asteroid fields are really pretty. In fact, the asteroid fields are what convinced a friend of mine to finally get it. Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm hoping the planet landing expansion comes out sooner rather than later...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2015, 03:31 Rigs

We have Time Warner's redheaded stepchild, Bright House, for our cable provider here in west central Florida. For phone service (via 'MTA' through the cable modem/router/happy(-ily oblivious) IP machine), tv (no super duper special premium channels but more than 300 other channels we never watch) and internet access 40m-down/5m-up, all for the low, low, can't beat with a fuckin' hammer price of $130 a month. ($128 and change to be exact)

Our internet used to be 30m-down/2m-up for about three years until they graciously 'upgraded' us for 'no additional cost' to 40/5. Truth be told, we always got about 34/3.5 before and that's what we still get. I don't know where they get this 5m-up from, I've never tested that high. And the whole 'no cost to you' was true...from a certain point of view. (Ahem!) They didn't raise our price for that particular thing, but our 'taxes' and 'fees' went up about $10 over the last six months that would have ended up covering the increase in speed to the next package up. They have 60m and even 90m-down available now (I've even heard some claims of 100m, though I don't see it 'officially' available on their packages chart), but it would cost almost double what we pay now, which is just ridiculous. It doesn't even pay to cut the cord to tv because it's only about $10 of our bill anyway.

When we first moved into this house in 2011, they gave us the option of 'trying' their 'Lightning 40 'Wideband' service for three months. At first the rep talked to my mother, who, while not computer illiterate by any means, doesn't know all of the 'technical' terms, so she handed the phone to me after a few minutes, just to make sure that they weren't trying to scam the newbies in the neighborhood. He gave me the whole song and dance and I repeatedly asked him straightout, 'will we be charged for it if at the end of three months we don't want the 40 service and want to go back?'. His answer each time was 'No, definitely not'. He said they would install the service, give us the required modem/router (that was different from the one used for our normal service, why? I have no clue) and then uninstall it and replace the modem/router again at the end should we not want it. So since this was basically doubling our internet speed for nothing, I said yes. Fast forward four months, after the service was returned to our normal speed and the first full month's bill comes in, guess what was charged? Ooh, you're good! Yup, the full three month 'Lightning40' service, PLUS installation, PLUS rental of the other modem/router, PLUS uninstall fee, PLUS installation of the original modem/router, PLUS a 'restocking fee', PLUS a charge for wi-fi installation ($50!) which they didn't even do and I didn't have! (I had nothing that needed wifi at the time)!!! You better believe I was PISSED!

After spending about 45 minutes on the phone to customer service and going through two or three reps and one supervisor, I was able to have it all taken off and was told that the guy that sold it to us was NOT supposed to sell that particular package for free for three months as that wasn't a special they had in effect at the time. Seems he was just trying to get a sale on anything for the bonus. Jerk.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 5, 2015, 06:25 Rigs

Geezus, how many PAX are there?! East, West, South...I assume there's a North?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 04:48 Rigs

There should be a chart for every Blues comments section, a bar-graph with people that agree on the left, those on the fence in the middle and those who disagree on the right. That way I don't even have to read, it spells it out tl;dr-style...because, as we know, 'Ain't nobody got time for that!'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
13. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 00:59 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 00:20:
Rebellion sucked. It was a clunky galactic grand strategy/4x game that kind of failed on all accounts.

Empire at War was better. But not by a terrible lot. The ground game still sucked.

I also noticed that the original star wars RTS game that had the "metal" version of the imperial march hasn't been released yet. Probably a good thing. Unbalanced (you gained resources by doing better than your opponent in battle, which basically led to run-away victories), crappy graphics, and overall a boring game.

Christ I played all of these.

I rather liked the 'metal'-mix versions of the classic soundtrack. In fact, I have them all as mp3's on my hard drive and listen to them occasionally. Once you get over the whole 'they raped my childhood'-bit, maybe then you can relax and actually enjoy a little experimentation. It really rather fit the game somewhat and I remember reading an article with the sound designer that did the remixes and you could tell that he thought very highly of John Williams' score and had a lot of respect for him and the music. The actual game, Force Commander was...a mess, especially at launch. A bug-ridden mess that most wrote off almost immediately. The gaming review media swarmed on it like vultures and gave it a reputation I feel was undeserved. It was flawed, no doubt, but it wasn't unplayable (after being patched, anyway). And it did have some nice insight into the galactic civil war that we hadn't seen up until that point. In the movies, books and games, we knew about the war, the major turning point and the aftermath but never really got a good look at what happened DURING it. This game was meant to shed light on that.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details
25. Re: Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details Jan 14, 2015, 13:54 Rigs

I thought the season pass 'died'? Looks alive and well to me...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
80. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 14, 2015, 04:19 Rigs

You two sound good for each other.

Krovven wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 02:29:
I said in another post, I was very pissed off with Rockstar after the repeated fuck-ups following the launch of GTA V Online. I made posts about it a year ago. However, the game is excellent (having 100% the storyline and sunk hundreds of hours Online with the PS3) and the improvements that will be in the PC edition make it worth the wait, despite my previous issues with Rockstar.

Sorry, Krovven, if I didn't search your post history back a fucking YEAR just to see your stance on a certain subject. Did you search mine? Did you happen to notice that I pretty much hardly bitch about anything? Which leads me to...

Krovven wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 02:29:
Your initial post basically amounts to little boy having a tantrum because he didn't get what he wants.
If you don't buy it, it's no skin off my back. I'd guess that in a couple months you will probably get it anyways and enjoy it. Or, you may not out of spite. Your loss.

Get over yourself! My post wasn't directed to YOU and wasn't for YOUR benefit. I was stating my opinion, my feelings, as one does on a message board about games and the gaming industry. When something happens that I find really questionable, like any normal human being, I get angry and upset that this shit is tolerated, and because you tolerate it (ie. devs lying), they see that as acceptance. Don't fool yourself, you really don't get it. And for the record, for now on, I'm going to be watching you like a hawk for the first time that you get pissed at some 'small' thing and I'm calling you on it. Or maybe I'll take your advice and start going through your prior post history. Jerk.

=-Rigs-=

74. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 23:29 Rigs

@Slick, enjoy my entitled IGNORE-filter! Stay as long as you like but make sure you don't put your smelly-ass feet up on my coffee table or we'll have problems...

@Krovven, you still don't get it. I'm just gonna go ahead and shut my mouth now because I've said everything I wanted to and, per usual, only the parts you personally disagree with are the parts you listen to and/or reply to. Whatever. You want to give *R $$$ for lying through their teeth, fine. I'm content to tell them where to get off. Each to their own.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2015, 20:41 Rigs

On another topic entirely...

There was some talk earlier about maybe having a 'Like' button on the boards or on the front page or maybe a 'thumbs up/down' button on the boards. The consensus was that it would probably be abused mercilessly, which is probably right. I do, however, have an idea around that.

If we were to implement 'thumbs up/down' buttons for posts on the boards, I propose that a poster only get to use it if they've earned one themselves through a previous post.

For example, I post something interesting in the comments of a story and I get 5 thumbs up or 'Like's', whatever. I can then use those 5 up's/like's on others posts. I'm not sure if a 'thumbs down/dislike' button should be implemented. I mean, it should just to be fair but there would have to be a limit on the amount of 'dislikes' you can dole out in a certain period.

Anyway, I think this could work with a little thought. I would also like to propose my 'gradients on the front page'-thing again, too! Still waiting for that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2015, 20:32 Rigs

Yeah, no, I don't buy the whole 'new trilogy is for children'-bit. Red Letter Media (Plinkett's review) of the prequels said almost to a tee what I felt about Revenge of the Sith. This movie is in no way a 'kids movie'. It's dark, Anakin massacres children, civilians, unarmed opposition...and then nearly burns to death in a horrific manner complete with full 5.1 surround sound. I find it very hard to believe that anyone would sit a six year old in front of that willingly. The whole children and Jedi massacre thing had ME uncomfortable the first time I saw it. The first two, maybe. TPM, most definitely. But I think Lucas got the point and held back on the kiddy stuff for AotC and Revenge. The sand people camp massacre was pretty nasty and not really 'kid friendly'. Revenge is just plain dark. As RLM said, I can't understand why they needed to go so dark. In fact Anakin's whole arc didn't jive with what Obi said in ANH, at least from my 'point of view', no pun intended. I pictured Anakin's fall a LOT different. But that's a different argument altogether for another time and most of it has been put to rest by RLM in my opinion...

=-Rigs-=

65. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 20:20 Rigs

Krovven wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:43:
@Rigs

Anyone that has been gaming for any length of time should be used to delays and cancellations. Play something else in the meantime.

Once again, not the point. I have plenty to play. I have plenty to do. That's not why I'm pissed. I've explained why twice and obviously I'm not the only one that feels this way. Yeah, games are always getting delayed for this reason or that but as has been said:

saluk wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:24:
There is no excuse for making PC gamers wait through 2 complete and on time console launches and STILL not having the game come out on PC when you actually said it would. The only explanation is that you just don't care about PC gamers. That's the only take-away here. If you can coordinate a launch on two separate systems and be so successful with those launches twice in a row, how can you not coordinate an on-time launch on one other system?

*R's contempt for PC users is pretty clear, but they are more than happy to still take that $$$ from you just the same. Would you buy something from a dealer that spit in your face because of your job, last name or car you drove? Someone that disrespected you for just some stupid reason? But then turned around and wanted...demanded (via DRM and cries of piracy) respect and honor in return? Respect is earned not bought, not just given away. Fuck them. I'm really a very easy person to get along with and it takes a lot to make me truly angry but this is it. They burned their last bridge with me.

=-Rigs-=

61. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 19:10 Rigs

Argh!

What? So none of you have ever been royally pissed off at something that others around you find trivial? Give me a break! I think most of you know I don't fly off the handle very often. (Those that pay attention, anyway) It's just not right. Yes, it's only two months. Yes, it's 'great' they're putting more effort into Q&A/polish/whatever, if that is, indeed, why they're delaying it. I mean, you can't take them at their word at all anymore. It's like you guys believe one statement but not others? And, yes, I have a life and other games to tide me over. That's NOT the point! The point is that *R showed, without a doubt, how loathsome they consider PC gamers. That doesn't bother any of you?! It doesn't bother you that they straight up lied to everyone just two weeks ago?! It does me! There are very few devs that can be taken at their word anymore and that's fucking sad!

So, no, I don't need 'meds', I need some damn respect!

=-Rigs-=

48. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 16:15 Rigs

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!!!!

You know, I had written this long, cuss-laden diatribe about this delay. How I'd diligently scanned Blues every morning to make sure that those horrible words didn't appear 'GTA5 Delayed' and I almost thought it was really going to release when they said it would! I was so happy. I have the money saved up, I have my PC reformatted, fresh install of Windows 8.1/x64 and I even bought a new office chair for maximum gaming comfort. I was ready. And now, I feel like a fucking idiot. I haven't read the rest of the comments. I can imagine what they say, I really don't want to slog through them. I'm so fucking pissed I could kick a pound full of cute little adorable puppies without the least hesitation right now. I don't care that they released screens and right now, I'm seriously considering not picking up GTA5 on the PC at all. Why? Because *R are fucking assholes. They could have told us this a while ago and didn't for that simple reason - the holidays. The Christmas buying season. I'm sure they got a ton of pre-orders and console sales. Had they announced a delay before the holidays, people would have probably held off on pre-ordering the PC version. Or maybe not. I don't know. I don't fucking care! All I know is that I will NEVER take *R at their word again. EVER. I didn't even have to BUY the game to feel burned. They could have said something a week ago but chose not to and that just says it all. They didn't decide in a WEEK to delay the game two mother-fucking months. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fucking moron. Idiot, yes, moron? No. They knew. They've KNOWN. But they didn't care.

So fuck them! I deleted my PS3 Social account bullshit. I cancelled my pre-order and now I'm gonna wait. Not that they give a fuck. Actions speak louder than words and what they did (or didn't do) speaks VOLUMES to me. In essence, they despise PC gamers. We're the dog shit under their shoe. And, as such, they can go...well, whatever... *sigh*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2014, 11:32 Rigs

I wish Elite Dangerous would go on sale...$60 is a little steep...I'm having a hard time justifying it without actually having played it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Christmas Eve Consolidation
9. Re: Christmas Eve Consolidation Dec 25, 2014, 01:08 Rigs

I'm dying to get all of us in one room...maybe the First Annual Bluesnews Board Member Slug-a-thon? We all collectively throw in money to rent a boxing ring and get everyone from the boards there to fight, last one standing gets to...*thinks hard*...the honor of slapping a big piece of duct tape over their choice of member's yap? *gets buried in people wanting to sign up*

2nd place gets to spin nin in an office chair until he pukes...

=-Rigs-=

1837 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo