Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1752 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2013, 02:10 Rigs

Wow, I didn't realize I hadn't been around here for a few days...and I bet not one of you noticed!

Anyway, Thank You Blue for gracefully reporting my football score in such a ho-hum, subdued manner. That last week's score was seriously embarrassing... I totally missed this week. We'll see if I can improve my record next week...

Happy New Year to everyone here! I've been awake for 32 hours straight so my happy ass is going to bed! Wake me up Thursday-ish...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2012, 23:34 Rigs

No..no..I got the best way to fix this problem...anyone that wants to buy a new system or component has to DO RESEARCH and find out themselves. How about that? I mean, shit, back in the late 80's/early 90's, there weren't ANY standards. You saw Intel 386SX (or god forbid, '100% IBM Compatible' - whatever the fuck that means), 2mb of RAM and 10mb of hard drive space...also an optional 100% Sound Blaster Compatible sound card. Don't have it? Tough shit!

Oh and don't forget when you get the box open and it says you need at least 610k of conventional memory and at least 2mb or extended and/or expanded memory to run that awesome new game, which means making a 'boot disk'! Let's see how many kids figure that shit out nowadays! Then maybe we can play our Call of Halo Medal's in peace!

Yup, I'd be MORE than willing to go back to that...PC gaming doesn't need to be mainstream...

EDIT: This got me thinking about the first 'modern' PC game I ever bought, Aces of the Pacific. I got that six months before I got the PC to play it on! Just read the huge-ass manual over and over...Anyway, the box said Intel 386SX/16 with 2mb or RAM minimum. When I got my PC for Christmas (IBM PS/1 486SX/25mhz with 4mb RAM), I looked at the 'technical supplement' (this was all new to me and I hadn't been able to practice on another system beforehand) and it said you HAD to have at least 590k of conventional memory and at least 2mb of extended memory. You know it took me THREE DAYS to finally get the right configuration set to get it running?! Yeah, it was fuckin' worth it all the way, but damn! I can't see the kids of today taking the time to do something like that or even their parents...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2012, 23:44.

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:50 Rigs

There are three things that define performance on the PC currently...CPU, RAM and Video Card. Plaster all three on a box and you have your standard! For the CPU, all you need to do in addition to the name of the processor is give the year of release, like Core i3/2.xghz(2012) or maybe even the chipset like...Core i3/2.xghz (Sandy Bridge-2012). Why is that so hard?! It's not. Don't make it harder by having to translate one number into another. You could easily put these on the box and be done with it...

CPU: Core i3/2.xghz (SandyBridge-2012)
RAM: 12gb DDR3/1600
Video: AMD Radeon 7770/2gb

How is that confusing? Problem solved.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Christmas Eve Screenshots
7. Re: Christmas Eve Screenshots Dec 24, 2012, 19:41 Rigs

Meh...I'm sorry, I'm looking forward to it but these screens, except for the pic of the dog in the car, which is seriously hi-res, the rest look mediocre. That one hi-res one tells me it has to be from a PC version. Compare the others to it. The textures in the others are lo-res and blurry, like usual. The underwater pic with the shark was cool too. Finally, devs are getting the underwater environment right. FC3 looked good from up top, but there were no real physics down below. If you knocked a barrel off into the water, it fell to the ground and rolled around like there wasn't any water there at all! And the clipping problems with the sharks were a letdown too. Hopefully *R have found a way to get around that, since it's been confirmed that there are underwater missions in GTAV...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 20:38 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 20:23:
You think that's bad, the Bengals actually BEAT the Steelers and are going to the playoffs.

Yeah, that is pretty bad...those Mayan's sure have a sick sense of humor...

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 20:01 Rigs

Giants: 14
Ravens: 33

I'm gonna go stuff my face in a pillow and cry now... Wall2

Let it be known that I'd rather watch a rain-delayed NASCAR race than the GIANTS make absolute ASSES of themselves!

Thank you.

EDIT: My record this week, with the '49er game just starting is a miserable (or laughable, depending on your point of view) 7-8...which leads me to ask, why, exactly, did I start playing this again?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2012, 20:36.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:14 Rigs

I will gladly trade places with anyone in a cold, snow weather zone from here in FL! Seriously, FL is NOT all it's cracked up to be. It's NOT all beaches and hotels/resorts. It's, for the most part, boring rural areas full of ignorant racist rednecks. I realized the other day that I was feeling depressed lately because I hadn't been out of this state in nearly 10 years...it wears on you. There is so much STUPIDITY in this state that after a while you begin to lose faith in all of humanity...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 22, 2012, 19:11 Rigs

'Hothead Games Signs NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman to Assist on Big Win Basketball Mobile Game'

The name of that game sounds like something out of Japan...'Big Win Basketball Mobile Fun Play Time Kittens PowWOW Game...for FUN!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced
4. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced Dec 22, 2012, 00:41 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:28:
Didn't you ever see Delta Force, where Chuck Norris rides a dirt bike and climbs aboard a jet full of hostages?!?

Gah Rigs, what the hell!?!

When I hear 'dropship', I think sci-fi (Aliens, HALO, Starship Troopers, Star Wars) not the real, modern battlefield. And dirt bikes...well, you pointed out Delta Force, which was 80's style. So both pretty much 'bookend' BF3's depiction of warfare as it's suppose to be in the 20-teens...I could see if they added quads, Hummvees, (if they weren't already in the game) or maybe an armored golf cart or two. A 'modern' dropship, in my mind, would be a V-22 Osprey, similar to those jet-powered ones in BLOPS2. But then, those in BLOPS2 remind me immediately of the Pelicans in HALO. So, no, dropship is not a good name for a 'modern' airborne troop transport...IMO...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced
1. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced Dec 21, 2012, 22:14 Rigs

Dirt bike? Dropship?! WTF?!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game in April
20. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 20:15:
I wouldn't expect you to understand Star Trek...or what constitutes a decent "flick" for that matter.

I strongly disagree with that statement, Cutter. One's opinion of the new 'vision' for Star Trek has nothing to do with one's Trek fanboy status. I happen to like the new one and I'm definitely a major Trek fanatic. I'm really looking forward to the sequel next year, too. To be honest, while I loved seeing the TNG cast on the big screen, the stories they were using for plots were getting seriously stale and cliche'd. It was obvious to most, whether we wanted it or not, that it was time to move on. Sure, they could have put in another movie or two. Hell, everyone thought ST IV was the last, then V (god forbid) and then VI. Nimoy and Shatner are getting old, there's no way around it anymore. I love them to death but like the possibility of seeing another 'Lethal Weapon', you just had to wonder...how? Sure, they could do a 'pass the torch'-type of story to a new crew but I think the way it was handled ultimately (in the 2009 film) was more interesting. Yeah, time travel and alternate realities, blah, blah. I know. But once the cat was out, you had no choice but to skin it...er, uh, I mean you couldn't put it back in the bag again. They went there in IV and in 'Generations' and then in 'First Contact', so, wth, why not, eh? They did a good job with the acting and the visuals and respecting most of the previous series design. Obviously not everyone was going to like it. There are die hards that think the Enterprise re-design was sacrilege. So be it. The fact is what it is. This is the path they chose to take and barring getting a hold of billions of dollars and the rights from Paramount's cold, dead, bloated corpse, we're just gonna have to make the best of what we get. I thought they did a good job, I really do and I enjoy watching it. It doesn't slow down much and things are constantly moving ahead. It could have been worse! Uwe could have gotten a hold of it! Then where would we be?

Those that mentioned EGA Trek, it's funny you bring that up because I was just playing that this afternoon! I love it! Such a simple, easy to play game but hard to master. Almost like a game of solitaire or checkers/chess. Really wish there was an updated-ish Window-native version. If I knew programming, I'd do it myself. Just a straight port with a minor graphical update. Nothing more. FTL kinda of fills the role, but in different ways. You know another game like that is 'Rules of Engagement 2' (and the first one also). A little more in-depth but same kind of premise. Not Trek-related but you can tell it was at least influenced by it. (Check it out here if you haven't heard of it) I have ROE2 and used to have the whole box with manuals and everything but sold it. Now I can't find the manals anywhere! They were really thick, like 300 pages or so, too and detailed, with a very intricate background story. Wish I could find the manuals online in a PDF. Even replacementdocs.com only has the manuals from the first version. No one seems to have the second.

That Artemis space-sim is a blast! You have to have like six or seven PC's/tablet's/notebook's hooked up and/or networked to get it going but once you get over that hurdle, wow! Like was said, pair that with a Bridge Commander-type sim... *drool* Drool

Now I'm gonna go play some more ROE2 and EGA Trek, you got me thinkin' about it...I should be workin'!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2012, 00:21.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 21, 2012, 07:37 Rigs

I was wondering on FB yesterday how many crazies are going to 1. Try to make something happen if it doesn't on it's own and 2. Blow their tiny brains out if even so much as the power happens to flicker or the cable goes out...and then I realized, well option #2 isn't such a bad thing, maybe a 'thinning out of the herd' is what being 'reborn' is all about, yes?

=-Rigs-=

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 20:29 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 19:08:
mag wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 17:32:
Alright, here we go. Nothing clever, this time. Just some straight up (terrible) picks.

Falcons, Raiders, Dolphins, Bengals, Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Redskins, Rams, Chargers, Packers, Texans, Broncos, Bears, Giants, 49ers.

Lots of hard games this week. Steelers are falling apart, but the Bengals can't win against Pittsburgh at home. Rams vs. Bucs is... hard. Giants vs. Ravens? Which good-but-collapsing team will win? Ugh. Rooting for a Ravens loss just because it'll help the Bengals. 49ers vs. Seahawks should probably be wild.

Pats, Packers, Broncos seem like the only sure things, this week.

I'd call the Falcons, Redskins, and 49ers a lock as well.

I swear if the Giants lose another one like last week I'll...I'll!...ah, who am I kidding, I'll whine and complain like a little girl like always... Sigh

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 18:25:
crypto wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 17:47:
Having worked at a Cingular call center in the past (the horror) I can attest to that business practice. Call center reps are barely trained to the point where they no longer drool on the keyboard. The technically minded and experienced reps were encouraged to answer forum posts in between calls.

Oh wow, you too, eh? I worked in the Ocala, FL call center in mid-2003. I can definitely confirm what you're saying. I had three weeks of 'training', in a class of over 30. The first week on 'the floor' we lost 10 right off the bat. My 'team' was hardest hit as me and one guy were the only ones left. I had NO idea WHAT THE HELL I WAS DOING! None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero! They taught us things in class that NEVER came up in the real world (like advanced physics and calculus to be a taxi driver). They gave us two 'real life' calls and let us sit in with other reps for some calls while the teachers disappeared. I couldn't ask anything and the guy I was with was either a complete asshole or was trying to show off. He was an absolute dick to everyone he talked to and then would smirk and giggle about it after. My teacher tried to do his best but some of us were just really untrainable. I left after two months when I got sent to the ER for exhaustion (not from the job but other life issues at the time) and then back in the hospital a little later for a bad case of the Flu. They didn't give me any leeway on the sick days and I used a whole years worth in a week or so. I actually got into a major argument with the staff 'upstairs' about this and my final paycheck and wouldn't leave until it was settled, on a Saturday, which meant the district manager had to come in to sign it. Too fuckin' bad. I never went back after that. The only thing he cared about was getting back to his golf game.

On top of all that, your calls (ALL of them) were recorded and gone through and graded. Supposedly, every quarter they would sit you down and go through some of them. Now this might be a good way to work out any problems that come up but I didn't like being 'on a leesh'. Plus, I had a problem with taking calls personally, which is a major no-no apparently. My 10 year customer service career ended with that job, I'll never do another...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 12:58 Rigs

nin wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 11:22:
I second the suggestion to go on to DSL Reports (or 'Broadband Reports', whatever the hell) and tell them. They usually get things done quickly...failing that, Blue, you know your loyal followers here will gladly 'spread the word' to every site if you wish it, you need only give the word...

Consumerist!

Understood! We have a Code Blue Consumerist Alert! Waiting on confirmation of Pancake activation!...

Maybe we can turn this into an internet meme phenomenon, one last time before the world ends? Yes, To Youtube! (and 4chan!)

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2012, 13:08.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 11:07 Rigs

Holy crap, my last two picks came out right? Geez, I was rockin' a 6-8 record before those two. I wonder how many I can manage to absent-mindedly win this time?

My choice cuts for this last free week, in on Thursday in case we don't live to see Saturday...(then again, that would mean no games either...aeh, God most have football up there in Heaven, right? Because the Devil has football in hell, but it's 'REAL' football, as in SOCCER...BWAHAHAHA!!!)...*ahem*...Falcons, Bills, Steelers, Redskins, Packers, Rams, Raiders, Cowboys, Pats, Texans, Colts, Jets, Broncos, GIANTS! (*cringe*), Cards, 49ers

I second the suggestion to go on to DSL Reports (or 'Broadband Reports', whatever the hell) and tell them. They usually get things done quickly...failing that, Blue, you know your loyal followers here will gladly 'spread the word' to every site if you wish it, you need only give the word...

And if you happen to have forgotten the word, it's pancakes...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - WarBirds 2103
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - WarBirds 2103 Dec 20, 2012, 10:46 Rigs

Uh, Blue...*points up at the headline*...2103? I think it's 2013, yes?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
27. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 17:15 Rigs

Why do I get the impression that the feeling on the servers now that this has devolved into a mess is akin to that of when Galactica rammed the evil Cylon colony and everything went ape shit? IOW, a total clusterfuck...

'Starbuck! Jump the ship!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2012, 16:13 Rigs

PHJF wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:14:
Don't make me laugh, that Nintendo-style pinball was never good for more than a minor distraction. Pro Pinball completely trounced it.

Are you completely mad?! Seriously?

Ok, whatever floats your rubber ducky...I'll stick with my Epic, thank you...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
14. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 16:10 Rigs

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 16:04:
Rigs wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:52:
So...umm, where'd all that bundle money go?

Plus, if they were to give Volition permission to go ahead with Freespace3, they'd be rollin' in it in no time! (Yes, I live in a fantasy world, doesn't everyone?)

=-Rigs-=

The smoldering ashes of Interplay still retain the rights to Descent and Descent Freespace.

BLASTED! Foiled again!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Stops Selling The War Z
7. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 15:54 Rigs

*thinks about the whole development of WarZ*

*laughs so hard, can't make a proper post*

This shit is GOLD! You can't make it up, you just can't, no one's that funny, it's not possible...

=-Rigs-=

1752 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo