Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1643 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 17:30 Rigs

"A space marine (who's name isn't Master Chief)..."

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded
35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 06:20 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:39:
Well maybe if the US wasn't starting wars and invading countries it wouldn't be a problem now, would it?

Trainwreck wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 22:34:
Ah. How much experience do you have looking through EO/IR cameras, trying to discern everyday objects from weapons? In time-critical situations when troops have been in contact and an error in judgment will result in lives lost? Because I have plenty, myself, so I didn't want to embarrass myself if you had over 800 hours of combat flight time or something.

Anyway, the Apache video demonstrates - assuming the context is correct and WikiLeaks isn't lying with their commentary - is an unfortunate but completely understandable mistake given the situation.

As someone who has worked with those types of aircraft and ground forces extensively in various operations, I can attest to their professionalism and the seriousness with whic they assume their duties. AVOIDING civilian casualties in Afghanistan was our highest concern; to the point where we regularly risked the lives of our own before risking shooting or bombing the wrong person.

And do I view the GWOT as us vs. them? Yes, yes I do. That's what war is, and especially in this case, considering the tactics and goals of terrorists and Islamist governments, and their facilitators and sympathizers.

Um, not to discount and disrespect anything in your argument but I have to ask, what does any of this have to do with GAMES?! In case you all forgot, you're on a VIDEO GAMES WEBSITE. It's NOT political and NOT military, and honestly, a lot of us come HERE to get away from the very thing you people seem to constantly bicker about but NEVER agree on. So why even f'n argue about it in the first place? You know you're not going to get anywhere and the argument is just going to turn into a Democrat versus Republican 'He said, She said', like it always does. This is why we no longer argue about whether the PC or the Mac is better. Because regardless of the facts, everyone has their own opinion and while it is legal and a right to argue your opinion, it doesn't mean I have to #$%# listen to it all the damn time...no offense...

And in celebration of the right to state your opinions, let me say that this Democrat vs. Republican, Left vs Right bullshit is getting way out of hand! I'm getting so fucking sick of seeing something happen and 20 people over here snicker that if the liberals would just kill themselves the world would be rainbows and unicorns and 20 people over there saying if the conservative jackwads would keep their mouths shut, we'd all be happier than Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch...ENOUGH ALREADY! I'd love to just give you opinionated sons of bitches all the guns and bombs you want, put you all on a remote island and you can blow your asses to kingdom come to prove who's is bigger, if only that would mean you'd all just shut up! ...Just sayin'...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Sword of the Stars - The Pit Alpha Demo
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 04:08 Rigs

So, uh, hows that sequel coming along?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > BioShock Free on GameFly
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 14:42 Rigs

Ant wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:15:
Why do we have to give them our billing data when signing up? No thanks, GameFly!

Took the words right outta my mouth, Ant! I never got around to playing Bioshock, not really my kind of thing and I wasn't groovy with the story so I gave it a pass but, hell, you can't argue with free and I was all set to try this thing out, years past due, when I get through two 'check out' screens (why?) and promptly hit a 'fill in your credit card information'...uhhh, nooo, don't think so! For Free? And I know exactly what they do too, they send a purchase of $1 and then reimburse it just as quick. Doing so gets all my bank and credit info into their grubby little database...Nice try, GameFly, but no. This sheep has enough games to play right now anyway, sorry!

Just bad bad bad all 'round, really...Shame on you, GameFly!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Art
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 13:35 Rigs

Creston = Bluesnews resident 'Charlie The Unicorn'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 18:34 Rigs

HOLY Pumpernickel! Shocked2

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 00:36 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 23:54:
Halo hasn't been good since the first and the first one also had issues towards the end of the game with repetition and the lame concept of the flood. Halo 2 PC was just garbage, the whole single player campaign was a giant pile of shit. Halo is probably the most over-rated property in gaming.

I'm not one to usually take issue with people's personal opinions of a game, but statements like this are just bullshit. That's no better than some troll on Youtube saying, 'Oh this shit sucks!'. Why? Why was the campaign shit? WHY is it overrated? Because it just IS isn't a valid argument.

Go replay Halo 1. There's a large segment of the game where the designers literally copied and pasted the same interior section over and over, with glowing blue arrows on the ground showing you where to go. It was pretty terrible.

You're kidding, right? You call some arrow-'shaped' glowy lights on the floor as big glowing arrows telling you where to go? I can think of a quite a few FPS's that have the same thing, whether they're for navigation or just plain aesthetics. I already conceded that the last 1/3 was repetitive. That's fact. We're all aware of that. But so what? No other FPS had corridors and areas that looked exactly or similar to each other? C'mon, bitch about something VALID, please!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 23:15 Rigs

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 23:03:
Just like Alan Wake was designed to be played on Xbox, amirite?

Anyway, can't say I'm really bothered. Halo 1 and 2 were pretty underwhelming. Halo 1 had some of the worst level design I've seen in any game ever. When your environments are so incredibly bland and generic that you have to put glowing arrows on the ground showing the player where to go, you know you have a problem. Halo 2 wasn't much better.

Jerykk, where are you getting these 'arrows on the ground'?! I have no idea what you mean by that. And as for the level design, I didn't see anything that wasn't also done in other PC FPS's in that timeframe. You make it to look like it's actually worse than other FPS's for the time and it isn't (or wasn't). Granted, the last 1/3 was a little repetitive, but it was still great nonetheless. Am I butthurt by that comment because I'm a HALO fanboy? You better %#$@ believe it!

And few will comment on this. Because no one on the pc cares about Halo. It seems to me that halo is of little interest to the pc crowd. With good reason i think

Fine, they didn't release the others to the PC and it didn't (doesn't) have revolutionary this or that. Does that stop anyone from buying CoD every f'n year? No. Just because YOU have no interest in it doesn't mean NO ONE does. You DO NOT speak for me!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gone Gold - Far Cry 3
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 23:06 Rigs

Why is it taking so long between gold and release? It used to be only a few days, now it's weeks at a time? WTF?

This is one of only a handful of games I'm really looking forward to...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 19:16 Rigs

Just as long as I can get white with 4G for my iTurd, I'm a happy lemming...

Seriously, the reason Macs were jokes on their own chips was how Apple was being handled at the time. It's a lot different now. I don't see Apple going back to making Performa's...(I'll be eating my Fedora when they bring out the PerformaXL series in a few years...lol) I mean, they're using the custom A-series chips in the iPod/Pad/Phone, so them going to custom designs isn't much a stretch. Would they go back to an IBM design? Doubtful...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 05:06 Rigs

PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:00:
the War on Terrorism is over

Where the hell did you hear that???

Oh, sorry...here, let me fix that for ya...

"...the War on Terrorism is a lie..."

Better?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 FOV Capped at 80
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 17:10 Rigs

Nono -pcdev- Rifle

That is all...

=-Rigs-= Race

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 00:05 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 22:43:
None of that will ever happen, Rigs. You'd have to have a government and a people that can actually agree to bi-partisanship. I see the north and south seceding before that ever happens.

That's a unique way of putting it..lol...but that's what's wrong. It's like nothing can ever get done in this country unless it's dragged kicking and screaming, or there's some kind of conflict involved. So, if that's the case, I say declare hurricanes a threat to national security. The War On Drugs is over, the War on Terrorism is over, now we have a the Tropical Cyclone War...you see how stupid that sounds? It mirrors how stupid it is that we have to declare something a mortal enemy in order to deal with it effectively. (well, try to deal with it effectively, as the war on drugs and terrorism has been anything but effective...unless your Osama Bin Laden)...

Seriously, money should not be an object that stands in the way of protecting our biggest cities and culture. If we can give the banks $750 billion and countries that hate our guts billions to leave us alone, then we sure as hell can spend it to protect ourselves at home...Why is everyone reluctant to change for the better?

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:20 Rigs

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 22:10:
Will it need trillions? Then so be it. Pull it from foreign aid our military!

Fixed.

I was trying to stay out of the snipers crosshairs...at least for a little while...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:06 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 21:37:
Perhaps a nice thought, but a thought that has neither foot in reality. We need trillions, yes trillions with a 't', of dollars to repair or replace existing infrastructure. That's prior to building additional flood control systems for coastal areas. As far as an early warning and detection network goes, we had plenty of warning.

And how about some personal responsibility? Part of the problem was people ignoring mandatory evacuation notices. If my neighborhood was in danger of getting wiped off the map, assuming I get a 7 day warning, I could and probably would be 500 miles away in an extended stay hotel by the time the storm hit.

People didn't evacuate because they watched the news and the news told them that this storm was only a minor Cat 1 hurricane (if that) and according to that, they'd only get some rain and a little wind. It told them nothing of the storm surge, nor were officials able to convince them otherwise. When people see a speeding train coming for their car, they get out of the car. They needed to know that this storm wasn't a little rain shower but a speeding train.

Yes, it was forecast and early warning was given, but not to the right area and not fast enough. I'm not talking, 'Oh, look it might hit the mid-atlantic', I'm talking, 'As the storm makes it's way inland on the southern Atlantic coast of NJ, winds and storm surge are going to impact Staten Island and southern Manhattan. Staten Island will be the hardest hit as it sits exposed to the most powerful part of the storm'...that's what I mean by early warning. You think then people would think twice about staying?

Will it need trillions? Then so be it. Pull it from foreign aid! Get it from the international community. We've helped them, now they help us! Do what is necessary and it can become reality. The only reason it isn't is because you think it shouldn't (not 'you' but people in general)...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2012, 22:22.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rumors
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 21:43 Rigs

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 19:28:
I was joking about the WiiU being "Next Gen" when I said "in a couple weeks".

According to some, the next generation of consoles is released in a couple weeks.

I misread your comment and thought you were saying all the next gen consoles were rumored to be coming in a few weeks, not just the WiiU ...sorry 'bout that...

Personally I stick with what I said, regardless of what hardware they'll use the graphical jump won't be half as big as the jump was from the PS2 to the PS3 generation. Financially, with Sony on a bad spot and MS not wanting to spend to much, it makes perfect logic that the next hardware will be the equivalent of a 6670 in graphical power or something equivalent or slightly more powerful. They know the WiiU is weak in terms of graphics.

I just find it very hard to believe that any company that puts in years of research and development and hundreds of millions of dollars is going to just 'settle' for a small jump in power/graphics. They're not looking to put out a console for the sole purpose of saving money in the long run. They're doing it to win a war, as such. That's the reason it's considered a console 'war', each one is trying to upstage the other. Yes, they know the WiiU isn't much of a threat in power terms, but maybe in playability and first-party games it might be. I'm sure without a doubt they have eyes in the other camp telling them what the other has on the table. MS infiltrates Sony and vice-verse. I just don't think it's as simple as throwing some PC parts in the box, lining up some exclusive games and releasing. It's more complicated than that and it has been each generation...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 21:23 Rigs

I can't understand how many times this country has to go through disasters, one after another it seems, before it finally takes the money out of the something like, oh I dunno, Middle Eastern foreign aid, and puts it toward preparing this nation for the next Katrina/Sandy/earthquake /tsunami/super-volcano /terroristNBCAttack/CanadianSyrupInvasion/AlienFirstContact /solarCME/GammaRayBurst/AsteroidImpact/zombieApocalypse...The first thing that should be done is the establishment of regional stockpiles of critical products like food, water, blankets/clothes, gas, etc. So what if it sits there for years? At least it will be there when it's needed. Plans need to be enacted, like evacuation routes are now, to streamline what is done when each certain disaster occurs - ie. setup of gas pumping stations at 30 mile intervals, one for officials, one for public. A 'one-stop-shop' where all information is funneled and dispersed so people can come to the offices or call to get the very latest information and not rely on rumors or speculation. We have Twitter, Facebook, the internet and smartphones, company and government networks - USE THEM! Use the social security numbers and driver's license database to setup an official 'call-in' center. After a disaster hits your area, you call in and either dial in a PIN number or text message a PIN to show you are ok or need this or that. This info (not the SS#'s themselves) goes to the aid workers and your family/friends can call in to get updates or go online to see if you've checked in and/or need anything.

NEXT! The nations power grid needs to be modernized and BURIED! Put those bad boys underground! I don't understand WHY this hasn't been done yet?! What's the first thing to go in a storm? The power. Why? Because a line or pole gets knocked. Ok, well where can you put it that it doesn't get affected by wind, rain or snow? Underground! Hell, build whole passageways so if there IS a problem underground, you only need to open the access door/hatch and go down the access tube/hallway. Build real 'Jefferies Tubes' underground! Then harden and protect the lines with realtime monitoring and 24/7 on-call support and constant maintenance. Stop trying to put a bandaid on a corpse! It's going to all collapse if it's not overhauled! Plus this might mitigate a possible Sun burst or EMI pulse attack.

THEN! Setup staging areas where the National Guard and certified contractors meetup, get the sitrep and fan out to start recovery efforts. The chain of command is known to ALL individuals and every one knows who's in charge of what and what the procedures are.

Before any of this, it's time to put money into a early warning and detection network in the ocean. Setup hardened structures/buoys at set intervals out from certain spots to give clear information on approaching storms. I'm talking hundreds of these things, linked both by cable and wireless by satellite. These 'buoys' would extend out in a semi-circle from say Cape Hatteras, NC, having a comma shaped line of them at 50 miles, 100, 200, 300, 400...etc, then another set further south in the Caribbean. Then another set headed west from Tampa, FL and south from New Orleans and east from Galveston. In addition to hurricane hunter planes and remote controlled surface/sub surface drones, these buoys would give a real-time look at the conditions there, with real time video, so they can see how the conditions are at sea level. This would coincide with a change to the scale at which tropical storms and hurricanes are labeled as. Instead of the Saffir-Simpson scale, a new way would be developed to give a clearer vision to ordinary citizens of the dangers a particular storm would present. Currently, only the wind is taken into account. As we've all seen, that's rarely the only thing to cause damage and destruction. This new scale would show what kind of potential a storm could have of causing floods, wind damage, storm surge, tornadoes, coastal erosion/pier damage/boat and dock damage...AND it would be tailored to each area based on time of year, storm path, storm history, the area geological layout and population density...

This can be and HAS to be done or we will suffer these disasters over and over again, sitting, asking ourselves why we have to endure it. We don't have to. We have the means, we only need the will. It shouldn't take war or the threat of war or a terrorist attack to get us to make a fundamental shift in our response to disasters.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. What we're doing now isn't working! It needs to change!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rumors
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 18:55 Rigs

This rumor of the next-gen sporting a 6670 is a thing I like to call complete bullshit. No way any console is using off-the-shelf PC parts. Yes, they use parts similar but every new console has had it's own graphics chip developed especially for it. Maybe a derivative of the 6670? I find that doubtful as well. Each gen of console is meant to be a huge leap forward from the one before, which is why console's have 10+ year lifetime cycles. The PSX to the PS2, the PS2 to the PS3, while a smaller jump was still rather large. Just because most games on the PS3 haven't taken advantage of it's horsepower doesn't mean it's not there. The Xbox, while a little different in terms of where the horsepower is focused (ie more CPU dependent than GPU, though the GPU is no slouch), is the same way. The difference between the Xbox and 360 is sizable. They haven't squeezed everything out the current gen yet, especially when it comes to the PS3. Probably because the PS3 is apparently so much harder to develop for. I mean, look at the jump in quality in the HALO series each time, HALO3 to REACH to HALO4. Hell, look way back to the amazing power they pulled out of the SNES in it's twilight years. Everyone is looking to next-gen but there's still some left in the current hardware. And because of that, I think the next-gen systems are going to be FAR more powerful than what's been rumored. They have to be.

As for them coming out in a few weeks? It's nice to dream...The first PS4 dev kits just got sent out and they're not even on the hardware itself, just a box with similar spec. We have some ways to go until release, guys. Trust me on that...

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 13:24 Rigs

After a life of living where there's snow every year, I can't stand the stuff any more. I would LOVE to move to Florida where I can ride my motorcycle year 'round. On the other hand, maybe *not* being able to ride part of the year makes it all that much sweeter when I can. That, and Florida's pretty flat - - I wonder if I'd miss the mountain rides .....

If you're already wondering if you'd miss something by moving here, you're better off where you are. Seriously, this state is NOT all it's cracked up to be...by a long shot. I've been here 17 years, longer now than the time I spent growing up in NJ. I tell everyone that I came down here kicking and screaming but in truth I was curious what this place would be like as I had never lived outside of NJ, and aside from week long romps to NM, IN, and VA, never ventured far from it's borders. One thing that stuck with me is something a good friends mom said to me before we left, as they had a summer home on the east coast of FL. She told me that the air in FL has almost no smell, nothing compared to NJ. She was right. Aside for a couple months in the winter, the air in FL is mostly stagnant and I found myself missing NJ's sweet cut grass and clean, cold morning air almost as much as the snow.

Speaking of snow...the year I left NJ (in Sept of 1993), we had a major blizzard - the 'Superstorm of '93'. Never before had I witnessed such an awe-inspiring event. Having to trudge across a frozen lake, along with three friends, every one keeping an eye on the one in front of them, while wearing a swimming mask so I could see in the horizontal, two-inch-per-hour snowfall as the wind howled and thunder boomed, almost as dark as night at noon was something I will NEVER forget. I had loved snow before but that sealed the deal for me.

I can understand the want to get away from the snow and cold, as my parents did coming to FL after spending their whole lives (over 50 years at that point) in NJ. Not everyone loves it. It can be a serious hassle, having to shovel it and walk in it and by the end of the winter you're sick of seeing it. Especially that nasty brown-black crud on the corners and along the roads that melts last and holds all the sand and salt put down that year, which forces you to wash your car frequently so the frame doesn't rust (at least before fiberglass and protective paint came along). I know the feeling. Too much of a good thing is never good either. But you hit on something that few realize. You treasure those warmer seasons more because they are finite and don't last. Being able to do something all the time takes some of the anticipation and fun out of it. You can ride all year down here, yes. Our neighbor rides two or three times a day. You would quickly tire of it though as you pointed out, there are no mountain trails or overlooks here. It's not 'Texas flat' but just somewhat 'hilly'. I liken the topography to NW NJ, where I'm from, though without the Appalachian chain running through it, obviously.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2012, 13:31.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 06:01 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:11:
What do you prefer more, Rigs? A solid Nor'Easter or a good Sou'Wester?

As long as it snows as if Hell itself froze over, it doesn't matter if it's upside down, inside out or sideways...though I do prefer Sou'Wester airlines...

=-Rigs-=

1643 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo