Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1681 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 4, 2013, 11:48 Rigs

Multi-channel (broadband) tv service?! My god, it's...THE FUTURE!

*puts on VR goggles*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 09:20 Rigs

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 09:10:
After reading parts of this thread, I can't possibly imagine why so many people think there's sexism in the game industry and community.

No, it's not that. I'm tired of constantly turning around and being told I'm scum because I'm a man. Everywhere nowadays, it's the 'mighty white man taketh over, how dare he?!' and as a divorced, single father, I take offense to being portrayed as a stupid, bumbling, sexist, racist drunk who only cares about himself! That's all I see in advertising and in media anymore. But can I say anything about it without being labeled sexist? Obviously not. So why fight it anymore? I tried being the nice apologetic ladies man and all I got for it was more hate-filled diatribes on blogs and news articles by 'oppressed' woman folk. Fuck them. I'm done being sorry for WHO I am even though everyone else apparently can do or say whatever the fuck they want and if I (meaning 'men in general') call them on it, I'm the sexist asshole! So, fine, I'm a sexist asshole. Now they can all shut up about it because we admitted they're right, we're wrong. Whatever. Just shut the fuck up already. (whiny women 'in general', not you in particular PA)...

Hopefully that made some sense...if not, sorry, I'm extremely tired from working 20-30 hours at a time the last couple weeks...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Digital Paint: Paintball 2 Reunion
6. Re: Digital Paint: Paintball 2 Reunion Jan 4, 2013, 09:07 Rigs

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 16:14:
Rigs wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 11:01:
Oh no...No, No, No! DIE! DIE DIE DIE already! PLEASE, if there IS a God in Heaven, you will find some mystical way to smite this trash off the face of the Earth...

*grabs the 'Voodoo For Dummies' and starts speed reading*

=-Rigs-=

Why? Its a free game.. Bluesnews logic. I'll never understand

No, no. It's not 'Bluesnews logic' (whatever the hell that means). It was me being stupid. I got this confused with another, much crappier game...my apologies...carry on...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 07:05 Rigs

*bangs head against desk repeatedly*

How many fucking times are we going to get the same damn article, week after fucking week?!? Cry/moan/bitch/wah-wah about how women are not equal in this industry or any other and how they wish it would change and if I could just let one girl know...GEEZUS FUCKING CHRIST - SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY! I'm so sick of it! Have you not noticed nearly every other 'female game journalist and/or game developer' (who really play games! They really, really do! Honest! Morgan Webb too!) has said the same sad story over and over already? Go home, cry your eyes out, write in your journal or whatever and then come back to work and do what everybody else does! Not because you have a fucking vagina and I have a dick, (oh noes! the inequality of it all!) but because we're people working in the same building, employed in the same industry! Nothing more, nothing less... Rolleyes

*ahem* Relatively speaking, of course...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter
11. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 06:43 Rigs

Don't forget there's also RPG Maker, too. It's pretty easy to use, you have a lot of different options within the app and it has excellent support via the developer and a robust community around it...

I think if anyone is wanting to try developing games, from what I've found it would be best to learn PYTHON, HTML5 or UNREAL/ActionScript...After that, if your brain hasn't liquefied, you can move on to something a little harder such as C++ or C#...

I went on a programming learning binge last year and tried to grab every pdf, tutorial, book or site that I could get my hands on but in the end, I just couldn't get my head around it. I'm lucky if I can balance my checkbook and math has never been a strong trait of mine, so maybe I just wasn't meant to be a game dev/game programmer... *sigh* I have lots of ideas though, like a modern version of EGATrek or Rules of Engagement 2...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 06:49.

News Comments > Digital Paint: Paintball 2 Reunion
1. Re: Digital Paint: Paintball 2 Reunion Jan 3, 2013, 11:01 Rigs

Oh no...No, No, No! DIE! DIE DIE DIE already! PLEASE, if there IS a God in Heaven, you will find some mystical way to smite this trash off the face of the Earth...

*grabs the 'Voodoo For Dummies' and starts speed reading*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Funded
9. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 03:05 Rigs

Holy shit, Cutter already checked in, Creston hasn't had a cow yet?! Is he dead? Someone wake his ass up! His favorite game just got funded!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Valve on VR Latency
20. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 00:04 Rigs

I can't help but think that VR in the future is going to look more like TRON LEGACY than the VR that was imagined in the 80's. Not that that's bad, per se, but as has been said, they better be makin' the whole simulation suit for it...don't forget the hot girls to put it on me either! Just leave CLU out of it, eh? Free Olivia Wilde VR with every purchase!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage
2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 19:14 Rigs

If it's being 'revised' then why show it? So, you show something that's not going to be in the finished game to show off how the game is coming along? o.0

I hope you can at least turn off the damage numbers... it screams consolitis.

How does showing hitpoints mean a 'console-first' mentality? I don't understand that...

In any case, I probably shouldn't even be saying anything because I am definitely not an RPG-type player. I've always found the 'you hit me, I hit you' way of playing to be...for lack of a better term, stupid. Sorry to those that do like it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2013, 02:10 Rigs

Wow, I didn't realize I hadn't been around here for a few days...and I bet not one of you noticed!

Anyway, Thank You Blue for gracefully reporting my football score in such a ho-hum, subdued manner. That last week's score was seriously embarrassing... I totally missed this week. We'll see if I can improve my record next week...

Happy New Year to everyone here! I've been awake for 32 hours straight so my happy ass is going to bed! Wake me up Thursday-ish...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2012, 23:34 Rigs

No..no..I got the best way to fix this problem...anyone that wants to buy a new system or component has to DO RESEARCH and find out themselves. How about that? I mean, shit, back in the late 80's/early 90's, there weren't ANY standards. You saw Intel 386SX (or god forbid, '100% IBM Compatible' - whatever the fuck that means), 2mb of RAM and 10mb of hard drive space...also an optional 100% Sound Blaster Compatible sound card. Don't have it? Tough shit!

Oh and don't forget when you get the box open and it says you need at least 610k of conventional memory and at least 2mb or extended and/or expanded memory to run that awesome new game, which means making a 'boot disk'! Let's see how many kids figure that shit out nowadays! Then maybe we can play our Call of Halo Medal's in peace!

Yup, I'd be MORE than willing to go back to that...PC gaming doesn't need to be mainstream...

EDIT: This got me thinking about the first 'modern' PC game I ever bought, Aces of the Pacific. I got that six months before I got the PC to play it on! Just read the huge-ass manual over and over...Anyway, the box said Intel 386SX/16 with 2mb or RAM minimum. When I got my PC for Christmas (IBM PS/1 486SX/25mhz with 4mb RAM), I looked at the 'technical supplement' (this was all new to me and I hadn't been able to practice on another system beforehand) and it said you HAD to have at least 590k of conventional memory and at least 2mb of extended memory. You know it took me THREE DAYS to finally get the right configuration set to get it running?! Yeah, it was fuckin' worth it all the way, but damn! I can't see the kids of today taking the time to do something like that or even their parents...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2012, 23:44.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:50 Rigs

There are three things that define performance on the PC currently...CPU, RAM and Video Card. Plaster all three on a box and you have your standard! For the CPU, all you need to do in addition to the name of the processor is give the year of release, like Core i3/2.xghz(2012) or maybe even the chipset like...Core i3/2.xghz (Sandy Bridge-2012). Why is that so hard?! It's not. Don't make it harder by having to translate one number into another. You could easily put these on the box and be done with it...

CPU: Core i3/2.xghz (SandyBridge-2012)
RAM: 12gb DDR3/1600
Video: AMD Radeon 7770/2gb

How is that confusing? Problem solved.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Christmas Eve Screenshots
7. Re: Christmas Eve Screenshots Dec 24, 2012, 19:41 Rigs

Meh...I'm sorry, I'm looking forward to it but these screens, except for the pic of the dog in the car, which is seriously hi-res, the rest look mediocre. That one hi-res one tells me it has to be from a PC version. Compare the others to it. The textures in the others are lo-res and blurry, like usual. The underwater pic with the shark was cool too. Finally, devs are getting the underwater environment right. FC3 looked good from up top, but there were no real physics down below. If you knocked a barrel off into the water, it fell to the ground and rolled around like there wasn't any water there at all! And the clipping problems with the sharks were a letdown too. Hopefully *R have found a way to get around that, since it's been confirmed that there are underwater missions in GTAV...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 20:38 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 20:23:
You think that's bad, the Bengals actually BEAT the Steelers and are going to the playoffs.

Yeah, that is pretty bad...those Mayan's sure have a sick sense of humor...

=-Rigs-=

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 20:01 Rigs

Giants: 14
Ravens: 33

I'm gonna go stuff my face in a pillow and cry now... Wall2

Let it be known that I'd rather watch a rain-delayed NASCAR race than the GIANTS make absolute ASSES of themselves!

Thank you.

EDIT: My record this week, with the '49er game just starting is a miserable (or laughable, depending on your point of view) 7-8...which leads me to ask, why, exactly, did I start playing this again?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2012, 20:36.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:14 Rigs

I will gladly trade places with anyone in a cold, snow weather zone from here in FL! Seriously, FL is NOT all it's cracked up to be. It's NOT all beaches and hotels/resorts. It's, for the most part, boring rural areas full of ignorant racist rednecks. I realized the other day that I was feeling depressed lately because I hadn't been out of this state in nearly 10 years...it wears on you. There is so much STUPIDITY in this state that after a while you begin to lose faith in all of humanity...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 22, 2012, 19:11 Rigs

'Hothead Games Signs NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman to Assist on Big Win Basketball Mobile Game'

The name of that game sounds like something out of Japan...'Big Win Basketball Mobile Fun Play Time Kittens PowWOW Game...for FUN!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced
4. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced Dec 22, 2012, 00:41 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:28:
Didn't you ever see Delta Force, where Chuck Norris rides a dirt bike and climbs aboard a jet full of hostages?!?

Gah Rigs, what the hell!?!

When I hear 'dropship', I think sci-fi (Aliens, HALO, Starship Troopers, Star Wars) not the real, modern battlefield. And dirt bikes...well, you pointed out Delta Force, which was 80's style. So both pretty much 'bookend' BF3's depiction of warfare as it's suppose to be in the 20-teens...I could see if they added quads, Hummvees, (if they weren't already in the game) or maybe an armored golf cart or two. A 'modern' dropship, in my mind, would be a V-22 Osprey, similar to those jet-powered ones in BLOPS2. But then, those in BLOPS2 remind me immediately of the Pelicans in HALO. So, no, dropship is not a good name for a 'modern' airborne troop transport...IMO...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced
1. Re: Battlefield 3 End Game DLC Announced Dec 21, 2012, 22:14 Rigs

Dirt bike? Dropship?! WTF?!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game in April
20. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 20:15:
I wouldn't expect you to understand Star Trek...or what constitutes a decent "flick" for that matter.

I strongly disagree with that statement, Cutter. One's opinion of the new 'vision' for Star Trek has nothing to do with one's Trek fanboy status. I happen to like the new one and I'm definitely a major Trek fanatic. I'm really looking forward to the sequel next year, too. To be honest, while I loved seeing the TNG cast on the big screen, the stories they were using for plots were getting seriously stale and cliche'd. It was obvious to most, whether we wanted it or not, that it was time to move on. Sure, they could have put in another movie or two. Hell, everyone thought ST IV was the last, then V (god forbid) and then VI. Nimoy and Shatner are getting old, there's no way around it anymore. I love them to death but like the possibility of seeing another 'Lethal Weapon', you just had to wonder...how? Sure, they could do a 'pass the torch'-type of story to a new crew but I think the way it was handled ultimately (in the 2009 film) was more interesting. Yeah, time travel and alternate realities, blah, blah. I know. But once the cat was out, you had no choice but to skin it...er, uh, I mean you couldn't put it back in the bag again. They went there in IV and in 'Generations' and then in 'First Contact', so, wth, why not, eh? They did a good job with the acting and the visuals and respecting most of the previous series design. Obviously not everyone was going to like it. There are die hards that think the Enterprise re-design was sacrilege. So be it. The fact is what it is. This is the path they chose to take and barring getting a hold of billions of dollars and the rights from Paramount's cold, dead, bloated corpse, we're just gonna have to make the best of what we get. I thought they did a good job, I really do and I enjoy watching it. It doesn't slow down much and things are constantly moving ahead. It could have been worse! Uwe could have gotten a hold of it! Then where would we be?

Those that mentioned EGA Trek, it's funny you bring that up because I was just playing that this afternoon! I love it! Such a simple, easy to play game but hard to master. Almost like a game of solitaire or checkers/chess. Really wish there was an updated-ish Window-native version. If I knew programming, I'd do it myself. Just a straight port with a minor graphical update. Nothing more. FTL kinda of fills the role, but in different ways. You know another game like that is 'Rules of Engagement 2' (and the first one also). A little more in-depth but same kind of premise. Not Trek-related but you can tell it was at least influenced by it. (Check it out here if you haven't heard of it) I have ROE2 and used to have the whole box with manuals and everything but sold it. Now I can't find the manals anywhere! They were really thick, like 300 pages or so, too and detailed, with a very intricate background story. Wish I could find the manuals online in a PDF. Even replacementdocs.com only has the manuals from the first version. No one seems to have the second.

That Artemis space-sim is a blast! You have to have like six or seven PC's/tablet's/notebook's hooked up and/or networked to get it going but once you get over that hurdle, wow! Like was said, pair that with a Bridge Commander-type sim... *drool* Drool

Now I'm gonna go play some more ROE2 and EGA Trek, you got me thinkin' about it...I should be workin'!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2012, 00:21.

1681 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo