Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1643 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 04:22 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 02:38:
Seriously Rigs, how do you do it?
I find baseball boring as hell.... but to watch 20 cars going in circles?!? The ONLY good thing about Nascar racing is when shit goes wrong and you see flames and debris flying all over the place!

The day they put weapons on Nascar's is the day I will proudly proclaim I am the biggest Nascar fan in the history of the sport.

We really need a Interstate 76 reboot...

It's really not that bad, to be honest. Yes, some races are pretty boring, usually the 'cookie-cutter' tracks like Kansas and Chicago in the middle of the season I don't typically watch unless I'm trying to take a nap...lol...But it's exciting on the larger tracks such as Daytona and Tally, with speeds up to and over 200mph, with bump drafting, it can get nerve-wracking in the final laps when you want your driver (#2, Brad Keslowski, in Rusty's Wallace's old car, who was my fav until he retired) to win and not get caught up in a last lap 'Big Juan'. (Or alternatively you want the punks to wreck out, #24 Jeff Gordon and #48 Jimmy Johnson) It's cool to watch on the super-small tracks like Martinsville and Bristol for all the bumping and pushing, especially the night races. Most cars come out pretty beat up from those.

In addition to all that, have you ever tried actually racing a stock car at a track? It's not easy, and certainly not as easy as it looks on tv! I took a 30-lap driving course in one at Pocono years ago and nearly pissed my pants! Then you get into a simulator like Nascar Racing 2003 or iRacing and it takes a long time to get good, especially at the 'flat' tracks like LV, Indy, Homestead and Cali.

For all that, I'll admit that the last few years my interest has been waning, but with the introduction of the new Gen6 cars, I'm really getting into it again. The cars look like real race cars now, not sheet metal boxes with stickers made to look authentic. Seriously, check the new cars out, they look much better than before! In fact, it's sparked some interest in me in giving the ol' Bluesnews car a makeover...it's in serious need of one... Cool

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 02:33 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:49:
Rigs, you in?

Oh, sorry, guys, I was busy watching a replay of the three day Thunder testing of the Gen6 car in Daytona...what's this 'football' you speak of? I'm not a big fan of soccer...

I called my pics yesterday, when they were tied...

Rigs wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 19:19:
Speaking of the game, since I didn't do my picks yet and the game is tied, 28 to 28 (who knew?), I'm gonna give 'em since I'm not technically cheating (no one's winning the game yet)...

Broncos, Packers, Falcons, Pats...may God have mercy on my soul...

and then...

Rigs wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 12:07:
Anyway, I think for now on you guys can just pick the opposite of whatever teams I pick...thus the story of my life and the reason why I don't play the lottery...

Unless I'm understanding you incorrectly...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 13, 2013, 16:09 Rigs

Dades wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 17:30:
$50 from 20 years ago is not $50 today though. Your $50 from 20 years ago buys a lot more than it does now. Videogames cost up to $100 in the SNES days, it doesn't mean anything now and that's why your point falls flat.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

See, you did it again. You're comparing the '$50' of today to the the $50 of the past in regards to buying other things and it's 'value' between then and now. My argument is not about $50 compared to what it was. But I'm not going to argue it any further. You guys just don't get what I'm trying to say and no matter how I try to explain it, you just fall back to the whole 'economies of scale' and inflation facts when they have nothing to do with what I'm trying to convey. But whatever... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

39. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 Rigs

UConnBBall wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 09:15:
WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

OK how about you get prosecuted for something that benefits all of you!!!

If you don't know the story and if you don't understand suicide SHUT UP!

blah, blah >snip!<

Huh?

Didn't someone say he was a brilliant person and what happened was a shame? I thought the same, he was railroaded because of who he is/was. Who's ridiculing who here?

Anyway, I think for now on you guys can just pick the opposite of whatever teams I pick...thus the story of my life and the reason why I don't play the lottery...

I'm more stoked about the new Gen6 cars that just tested (and wrecked) in Daytona this week. Nice! They actually look much more like their production equivalents now. Seriously, I know you guys don't like NASCAR, but indulge me a bit and check out Nascar.com and the new look to the stock cars. Much better than the travesty that was the CoT (Car of Tomorrow) remodel a few years back (Real race cars don't have wings!)...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2013, 19:19 Rigs

Speaking of the game, since I didn't do my picks yet and the game is tied, 28 to 28 (who knew?), I'm gonna give 'em since I'm not technically cheating (no one's winning the game yet)...

Broncos, Packers, Falcons, Pats...may God have mercy on my soul...

Back to work...OH! Happy Birthday, Ant! Funny, I was just playing your simulated brethren just this morning (Sim Ant)...they don't live very long when spiders are about, might wanna tell them to work on that a little...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 12, 2013, 11:55 Rigs

Ok, ok, sorry, the argument I have in my head is not coming out in an easy-to-follow way here and for that I apologize. You guys aren't getting what I'm saying and I'm not quite sure how to explain it any other way, honestly. When I say $50 is $50, I mean that 20 years ago, you worked, got paid, went down to the store and bought a game for $50. Today, you work, get paid, and go down to the store and still pay $50. This is what I mean. Not inflation. Not 'economies of scale'. You pay $50 for a game today just like you used to and way back it was promised that this would change when cd's (and then dvd's) came out. It hasn't. That's my argument. I can't make it any clearer than that. Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2013, 13:10 Rigs

Trusted source confirms soldered-on Broadwell CPUs.

Oh shit...here we go... Rolleyes

"And so, it begins...",

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 11, 2013, 07:31 Rigs

*sigh*

You guys are totally missing my point...

'Economies of scale' is/are irrelevant in the scope of this argument. Fifty bucks today is just the same as fifty bucks 20 years ago. IOW, $50 is $50. Whether that $50 back then equates to $30 or $25 now doesn't matter. Games are still $50 - $60 at launch and the promise of cd's and dvd's was to bring that cost down, which never happened. Games were $50 - $60 when released twenty years ago and they're $50 - $60 now (depending on the game, which 'version' you get, if you pre-order...blah, blah, blah) C'mon, why are you two having a hard time with this? Yes, 'Digital Deluxe' versions are the 'Limited/Special Edition' of the downloadable release but the fact remains that they need not be that high if only because we continue to buy them at that price. Sure I, and most well-educated (or at least well informed Inquisitive ) gamers, like most who come here, know better. But we're not the ones that spend the millions on these 'Deluxe' versions, or on 'casual' quick-time-events disguised as mini-games, or hats for TF2 (*ahem!*) and cows for Farmville (or whatever it is you buy for a dollar or two at a time in these games). And those gamers aren't aware that there is and should be a difference in price between the two...This isn't rocket science, guys...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 11, 2013, 03:31 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 01:47:
Dude, seriously? Games are cheaper than they've ever been. Dishonored, XCom, BL 2 were all $30 within a month or two of release.

'Dude', yes, seriously. I'm not talking about two or three months after release, I'm talking AT release. Before release, when you pre-order. Even a 'Digital Deluxe' copy of any anticipated game will set you back $60 - $80, sometimes over $100! You call that cheap?! No, it's not, no matter how you want to spin it. Digital releases should be the cheapest of them all, there's no freakin' packaging, distribution, shelf space to occupy, retailers to haggle with! Why the $80 price tag?

Take Star Trek Online, for example. Before release, I couldn't find a 'Digital Deluxe' version for pre-order under $70. Why?! They upload the file to a server they already use, so it's not for bandwidth. For making the game? Fine, but why $70 a piece? Why not $30? Sure, after a few months, it dropped considerably, but only because of it's ratings and selling volume/subscription rate (or lack thereof).

My point is that the price of games today is not based on some outdated scheme of packaging and distribution, yet they'd have you believe that so they can continue to charge outrageous prices, that, if you actually look at it, just can't be justified...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 11, 2013, 00:41 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:03:
Rigs wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:27:
Now if Chris Roberts had said the same thing... Rolleyes

Seriously, guys, you're nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking...

Man, I wish I could fast-forward two years and sit with both Elite and Star Citizen and compare them side by side...

=-Rigs-=

One is vaporware and the other will be a major let down.

I'm gonna hold you to that two years from now... Nod

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 11, 2013, 00:30 Rigs

Oie...MS knows how to stick their foot in their mouth with great ease nowadays. I want to know one thing. Before cd's came around and the cd-rom game was the next 'big thing', we were promised (quite a few times actually, by all manner of people from Ken at Sierra (on his 'hard copy blog/newsletter/magazine/fanzine/thing') to some other gaming execs, not to mention many gaming journalists at the time, including those at CGW and I have the proof in the mag articles) a steep reduction in the cost of games because the cost of manufacturing a cd-based game was 'so much less' than that of a disk-based game. Then it was DVD's, now digital. When is the fucking price going to actually come down?!? Hello?! It's been 20-odd fucking years now! I can't see why a game has to cost $60 or even $50 at launch nowadays. They do it because we, gamers, let them! Just like gas prices. They raised them and raised them and when it got too high and we had a slight hissy fit, they lowered them. When we weren't paying attention, they raised them again. And every time the reason was different, when they found out that they couldn't use the same reason each time...So WTF?! *taps foot anxiously, arms folded, eye-brow arched menacingly*

I'm waiting...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Harpoon - Ultimate Edition Patch
5. Re: Harpoon - Ultimate Edition Patch Jan 11, 2013, 00:19 Rigs

Herman Hum wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 23:23:
After 3.7.0 Release: (080 Issues reported)
After 3.8.0 ..Patch: (080 Issues - 34 Fixed + 088 New) = 134 Issues
After 3.9.0 ..Patch: (134 Issues - 31 Fixed + 068 New) = 171 Issues
After 3.9.2 ..Patch: (171 Issues - 15 Fixed + 035 New) = 191 Issues
After 3.9.3 ..Patch: (191 Issues - 19 Fixed + 015 New) = 187 Issues
After 3.9.4 ..Patch: (187 Issues - 46 Fixed + 068 New) = 209 Issues
After 3.10. Release: (209 Issues - 82 Fixed + 102 New) = 229 Issues
After 3.11. ..Patch: (229 Issues - 09 Fixed + 014 New) = 234 Issues

A comprehensive third-party list of 234 * Known Harpoon [ANW] Issues has been exhaustively collected on HarPlonkHQ since the release of Harpoon ANW 3.7.0 Now that 3.11 has been released, the list has been checked to see what has changed.

http://tinyurl.com/AGSIs-Known-ANW-Issues

Yeaaahhh, no offense, but I have a hard enough time keeping all my Minecraft mods in order...you guys have fun!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 17:27 Rigs

Now if Chris Roberts had said the same thing... Rolleyes

Seriously, guys, you're nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking...

Man, I wish I could fast-forward two years and sit with both Elite and Star Citizen and compare them side by side...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Half-Life Prototype Footage
16. Re: Half-Life Prototype Footage Jan 10, 2013, 09:03 Rigs

Oh wow, I remember the days leading up to HL and SiN. I have my CGW, PCG and PC Accelerator mags to prove it! What a time! All this was new and exciting, back when 3D cards were '3D graphics accelerators'...ha! I remember getting my Pentium2/400mhz (that replaced my ancient 486DX2/66 that I had been nursing along until then...funny story I've told before but I was actually able to get Quake2 to run on that 486! It was in a window the size of a postage stamp, software rendering (obviously) and at like 2fps, but it ran! I was so proud! ), 128mb RAM on the legendary Asus 440BX chipset (P2B motherboard - still got the box, but not the board, FL's notorious lightning saw to that... ), a Diamond Stealth S220 (which was a 4mb Rendition-based board, 2D/3D) and a Diamond Monster3D2 (which was, of course, a 3DFX Voodoo2-based board with 8mb of memory and 3D only). Shortly after having it built, I added another Diamond Monster3D2 board (an RMA 'accident' - long story) and I was able to run it in SLI. Kick ass, though my PSU wasn't powerful enough and had intermittent black screens when running heavy-duty 3D-intensive games.

I was actually looking forward more to SiN than HL at the time. I really wasn't that excited about HL at all. SiN was the one I was constantly reading previews for and what not. It sounded and looked awesome. And, really, if you can look past the bugs (especially at release, where some of the game was absolutely broken), SiN was pretty awesome. I loved it and played the hell out of it. The patches certainly helped to bring the game to life too. Sometimes literally as some of the release bugs broke the bosses to where they didn't move AT ALL. One of the few games I've played through all the way multiple times. A forgotten gem, certainly. As for HL, I was able to get a copy free and played it quite a bit and it was amazing, but I just wasn't as into it as SiN for some reason, even though I probably logged more hours in it than SiN. *shrugs* I dunno. Maybe because there were so many new and different 3D games coming out at the time. I had all I could do being a young father, working 12 hour days and playing games while keeping a girlfriend and social life...

Other games back then that stand out are Total Air War (which was one that really brought my system down to it's knees at times), Grand Prix Legends (one of the only games that took advantage of the Rendition-based Diamond Stealth S220 board more than the 3DFX board, and looked stunning because of it!) and Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2)...

=-Rigs-=

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 03:02 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:57:
No it's not strange to see the same teams in the playoffs. It's always cyclical when they're in dominance. Look at all the periods for the NFl and you'll usually see the same team in the playoffs for several years on a row until the key players retire or are traded and the rebuilding process begins again.

I'm aware of that, I was just surprised at the amount of teams that have come back again...I guess this doesn't apply to the defending Super Bowl champs, eh?

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 02:58 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:20:
NO NO NO TO NASCAR. I'd rather watch Golf and Lawn Bowling then watch cars make left hand turns! Baseball is 2nd runner up as it is BORING as HELL!
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:57:
And NASCAR? *shudder* I'd rather watch paint dry.

*Runs back into the bedroom and quickly takes the 'Dale Jr.' t-shirt back off*

So much for that...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 23:19 Rigs

Wow, I followed good ol' Creston into 'harm's way' (took his picks for the football games) and came out...even. Compared to last time I did this, that's just fine by me! Since the Giants put themselves out of their own misery, it's all fun and games anyway...I have no emotional horse in this race...

EDIT: So since the football season is quickly coming to an end, I'm curious how many of you guys are getting ready for the Daytona500 next month? Maybe we can get a list going for the upcoming NASCAR season? Yeah, I know you all would rather watch baseball (*puke*) but it can be fun rooting for the first guy to go around in a circle 200 times without throwing up...

EDIT #2: You know, I was looking some more on nfl.com and I noticed that, with the exception of the Saints and Giants (*sniff*), most of the teams that were in the 'post season' in 2011 are there this year as well...pretty cool/strange/ironic, eh?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 02:56.

News Comments > Deus Ex Design Documents
12. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 22:59 Rigs

Holy crap, Creston, did you know you have more comments than your User ID number?! Worship

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Deus Ex Design Documents
10. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 20:35 Rigs

I feel like an adult sitting in a mall food court and all the kids are laughing at a joke I don't get...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 15:35 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:55:
No, the issue is that she's complaining about a problem in society and you're taking it to mean a problem with you, then making all kind of "I shouldn't be a victim" arguments.

When have you ever been treated as a lesser sex in which to complain about? Call me when you make 70 cents on the dollar, or any time you make a point someone says to you "that's nice, now go make a sandwich," even if just a joke...

Actually, smartass, I HAVE been treated as a 'lesser sex' in the past! That wasn't a very wise question to raise. You have no idea what kind of experiences I've had that, in turn, shape my arguments. In 2001, my fiance` (ex-wife now) and I both got jobs at Prudential headquarters in Parsippany, NJ. We both had the same job and job 'title', which was admin assistant. (Basically the unglamorous work of filing, sorting, copying, running around and slaving it for the other marginally higher-ups). In fact she's two years younger than me also and I had more administrative experience, not to mention years more computer experience and more advanced office PC skills. But because nearly everyone in the office was female - our assistant boss, our boss boss, their boss and everyone in HR (I was one of only three men on that part of the floor/division, none in management/supervisory positions), I made $9/hour while she, for some 'inexplicable' reason, got $11/hr - for the same job, same hours, SAME WORK! When I brought this to the attention of our BOSS boss (my term, since everyone there was the 'boss' of something or someone...except for me, apparently), she gave me a look as if to say, 'Yeah, so?'...I didn't stay long after that as it wasn't the only 'injustice' (article's term), but my fiance` was obviously just fine and made quite a few friends there.

Listen, I'm not saying it happens ALL the time. I'm not saying men are 'oppressed'. I'm saying that it happens to BOTH sexes, not just women. Just as blacks can be racists, women can certainly be sexist and having untold numbers of them bitching and whining about it all the time while men have to sit and politely keep their mouths shut is fucking ludacris...IMO...

And with that, I am done with this argument...Good day, sir!

Nothin' personal, Beamer, man, the article and the ones before it just irked me the wrong way and it's 2013 now FFS! I think humanity needs to finally evolve beyond this sexist/racist/left-right BS... Cool

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 23:16.

1643 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo