Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1723 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
39. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 19:04 Rigs

The question is, how does one keep going after making their most successful project? Like, the traditional story is that we're always working toward that one big thing, that perfect project that gets it all right. WoW was that project for Blizzard. They didn't know it at the time but I think they know it now. How do you follow on from that? Obviously, expectations are going to be really, really high and because of that, pretty much anything that is developed that isn't somehow even better than the original 'perfect' MMO, it's going to look like a failure (see Duke Forever, Daikatana, Unreal2, etc.).

So, do you hold back on your first projects just in case one of them does become a major hit and thus you can build the second one bigger and better or do you just keep the first project going until you can't squeeze anything more from it and then quietly drift-off into the night with the knowledge that you did it the best and nothing you could ever do in the future would have surpassed it. OR, do you try again and hope that lightning does, indeed strike twice, putting every last ounce of your will into your new 'Grand Opus' (while, at the same time, neglecting the first project)?

Hell, I dunno, I have enough trouble deciding which damn color of Mountain Dew I want...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer
10. Re: Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer Sep 23, 2014, 12:31 Rigs

Oh, wow, I didn't know Ray Romano was a game designer too! Talented chops this guy's got...

Well, having not played more than the first few minutes of (Where) Sleeping Dogs (Lie) , I can't really give an opinion on this 'followup'. It looks kinda interesting, it seems to be pretty polished and presentable. Gameplay seems to be well thought out though the devs just said the same thing over and over again in the video just in different ways, so I don't know if that's marketing or they just don't know how to sell their game to an audience...lots of questions, no real answers...except what Ray Romano is up to nowadays...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Dragon Ball Xenoverse PC Plans
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 13:58 Rigs

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2014, 13:20 Rigs

You know what this world needs? MOAR celebrity selfies! Nude, preferably... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 15:40 Rigs

If anyone is interested in learning more about CPU history from a system builders perspective (or just like reading about it as much as possible, like I do), there's a very detailed retrospective over at RED HILL. I guess they were a system builder in Australia for the longest time, don't know if they're still around. Some really good bits of history there, though. It's been an exciting read...

EDIT: There's a companion article about the history of the GPU at TECHSPOT...more geared to us gamers than the CPU one...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2014, 00:12.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Trailer
2. Re: GSB2 Sep 17, 2014, 15:34 Rigs

Give me a dedicated, fleshed out campaign game...doesn't have to included a huge story or plot, just a random galaxy and some 4X options along with the main course meal and I'll happily eat it up and ask for seconds...please!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for Windows in November
25. Re: Xbox One Controller for Windows in November Sep 17, 2014, 15:29 Rigs

You couldn't pry my Logi Rumblepad2 out of my cold, dead hands...until I found the MOTIONJOY drivers for my PS3 Dualshocks...my god, where have you been my whole life, pretties?!

A DS3 controller and a Logi G25 wheel, shifter, and pedals...I'm ready for just about anything...I used to have a Saitek X-45 stick and throttle but I found it to be way too stiff for my liking and since I hardly used because of that, I sold it and now just use my DS3... (or, if supported by the game, my DS3, my Rumblepad2 AND my G25 all at once (like in EuroTruck2) - PERFECTION!)

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2014, 16:30.

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 16:08 Rigs

Sho wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 16:00:
Rigs wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 15:54:
I know it's not 'console exclusivity' yet everyone here seems to think that's exactly what it is.

No, there were other voices in the thread. For discussion to progress it's usually a good idea to latch onto that and see if you can expand the thinking or contribute something, rather than endlessly continue the same one-note conflict. It's best to ignore the simple knee-jerk stuff. It's usually grandstanding or letting off steam, and if you respond to it you just deliver a wordier version of the same.

Yeah, you're pretty much right. It's not just that, I've been on the bandwagon all day...all weekend really on a few different sites arguing the same thing so when I said, 'everyone' it was not so much here as other discussions as well. I really need to back off this anyway, I've put way too much time into it then I should. I've spent a lot of time in MC, as stupid as most people think the game is, but with some mods, like Reika's Reactor mod, where you can build a full blown fusion reactor in-game, things aren't as stupid as it seems and most people don't understand that. LEGOs may be children's toys but look at some of the shit people have built with them! MC is the same, the things you can build in-game are mind-blowing and only limited to your imagination and ambition. MS buying Mojang is a real threat to all that and many people fail to understand the specifics...

Anyway, I've made my point, I'll shut up now...

=-Rigs-=

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 15:54 Rigs

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 15:43:
Rigs wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 14:40:
I love when people start acting like advisers when they've never even played the damn game in question. You've never played it, you don't know it's user base or it's mod community, but you're absolutely sure of what MS's plans for it are because...why? Oh, right, because you play games.

(snip)

Mojang I know. Minecraft I know. I've been playing MC since the 'Infdev' days. I know it's modding community. I have 48 mods loaded at any one time while playing. I know what I'm talking about and I know that this acquisition has the community scared shitless! WE DON'T WANT THIS! Like you armchair advisers, MS won't know the community, what's best for it, what it wants. We want the Modding API. MS's acquisition will KILL that.

Started like a rant to the gang here who see's a fuck up most likely coming, telling us "we are just gamers we don't know shit"

Please don't put words in my mouth...that's not what I said. I said that you don't play Minecraft yet speak as if you know exactly what part of Minecraft MS is going to slice and dice and why. How can you possibly know what could be of interest to them if you don't know the very game they want? I know it's not 'console exclusivity' yet everyone here seems to think that's exactly what it is. It's not, I'm telling you it's not and now you're telling me you already knew that. Any other reasons you might fancy?

=-Rigs-=

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 15:10 Rigs

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 14:55:
The idea that MS would swoop in and destroy the community or the modding is hilarious. Don't get me wrong, MS has done some dumb shit in the past, but to jump to that conclusion is ridiculous. The new CEO has no interest in killing that scene.

Do you play the game? Do you spend time in the mod community? Do you play the game with mods and have to seek out new versions of each one individually each time a new version of MC is released? If not, then your words carry very little weight with me for obvious reasons...

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 14:55:
Just for the record, Microsoft is buying Mojang, not Minecraft. ...I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

Indeed...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2014, 15:37.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 14:40 Rigs

I love when people start acting like advisers when they've never even played the damn game in question. You've never played it, you don't know it's user base or it's mod community, but you're absolutely sure of what MS's plans for it are because...why? Oh, right, because you play games. You don't see me in the Diablo3 threads bitching about how Blizzard should be doing this and that to fix it's failings. Why? Because I don't fucking play the game! I don't know it's community. I don't know how Bliz interacts with the community. Mojang I know. Minecraft I know. I've been playing MC since the 'Infdev' days. I know it's modding community. I have 48 mods loaded at any one time while playing. I know what I'm talking about and I know that this acquisition has the community scared shitless! WE DON'T WANT THIS! Like you armchair advisers, MS won't know the community, what's best for it, what it wants. We want the Modding API. MS's acquisition will KILL that. I know they won't go for anything as open as a modding API for 'their' game. It just won't happen. Show me one MS PC game that has something like that? You can't because there aren't any. Not like the modding scene this game has. For instance, just take a look at the modding forum and count the hundreds of mods ready for download...

Official Modding forum

MS will never put up with it. Modders make money from their mods through ad.fly links. MS would kill it dead in a heartbeat. The Modding API has been in development for two years now and all the latest versions (since at least 1.5 onwards) has been to get things in place to support it. That would be the dreams of the modders (and players that enjoy those mods, like me) and two years of hard work destroyed because of MS's greed.

It won't work. Not because they 'want it exclusive to consoles'. Dude...just stop. You have no fucking idea at all. It's on consoles now, all of them. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with making money through transactions and mods. Already, skins are monetized on the console versions. A modding API would make micros on PC impossible. THAT IS WHAT MS WANTS. They want to monetize the shit out of it. It has nothing to do with being 'exclusive'.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2014, 17:13 Rigs

Putting that issue aside for the moment, I'm wondering how the hell a public company can operate in 2014 and not have safeguards and IT security in place?! I mean, if it was 2004, that would be serious but understandable. In 2014, there should be no excuse whatsoever for any kind of lapse in IT security in any way, unless it's an undiscovered exploit or known bugs that are worked around and monitored. It's just way too risky nowadays to take chances like this. You will get burned, publicly. That being said, the punishment for being lax in these areas should be astronomical instead of just some bad publicity and a few press releases...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > SimBin Declares Bankruptcy, Reforms as Sector 3
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2014, 14:48 Rigs

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 14:32:
Along came Assetto Corsa and killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Being Simbin and Gran Turismo on PS3. too bad, but that's a tight marketspace that Assetto Corsa won over with all the right ingredients.

Project Cars is expected to come and steamroll this entire parkinglot as well, come November.

Wha..? I don't understand half of what you said. Assetto Corsa is in Early Access, so it's not done. Neither is Project Cars for that matter. Race Romper Room is out now and has been updated plus it's 'free'. I'm not seeing any kind of comparison here except that they're both racing sims?

Far be it for me to be a Simbin fanboi, but I do own all of their greatest hits. While their marketing process leaves much to be desired, there's no denying they had some serious talent. I, too, wish they had focused on GTL2 and GTR3 instead. At least they're not totally dead. Hopefully they can pick themselves back up and blaze a new path to where they used to be in the genre. Regardless, Simbin will be missed. They made some epic racing sims that I put far too many hours any reasonable individual should ever admit to...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Ship Customization Video
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 15:53 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 08:10:
Suppa7 wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 07:41:
Cliffs games leave a lot to be desired but they sure do look pretty. I wouldn't really call them games, more toys then anything. I'd love it if beat hazard and space battles had a baby, I'd love to play the beat hazard ship againts a fleat of space battles ships while the music is playing.

The problem with cliffs games is he either needs to take Space battles in the 4x like direction of simulation, or go the smuppy beat hazard route of an action game. This toy simulation with microscopic RTS elements that plays out fixed as you watch the game play itself is petty bland.

His game caters to super casuals.

GSB2 mixed with a 4x would be really neat... it's absurd he never actually does anything with his ideas. He just polishes them up, but he never connects the dots for a truly great game.

I get what you guys are saying but why does every game have to have a story/campaign? I've always considered the Gratuitous games to be more 'casual', something you can play in a few mins, for a few mins and then go off and do something else. If you want some strategy and detail, it's there in the shipbuilding and (now) customizing aspect. He included a 'conquest' mode in the last DLC for GSB and it was ok, but didn't really scratch the itch it was trying to. I totally understand wanting to have a great 4x type of game bolted to GSB's frame and that would be cool, no doubt, but sometimes it's just fun to blow shit up without having to worry about the consequences, except whether you're winning or losing...

=-Rigs-=

General Discussion > NFL Week One
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 15:27 Rigs

Bah! If this is any indication of my performance the rest of the year, I might as well quit while I'm ahead... *thinks about it* ...otoh, I must have a fetish for pain when it comes to the Giants. I take so much but yet I still choose them every week out of...loyalty? No, pure desperation is more like it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 16:06 Rigs

We all have our demons, Prez. Granted, mine aren't for massacring helpless dogs but...we all do things in life, sometimes split-second, without thinking, in-the-moment things and then regret it for the rest of our time here. I think Ray Rice is finding that out the hard way today. Note, I'm not in any way condoning their actions, I just know what it's like to make a stupid mistake that everyone knows about and then have to live with it without any chance of redemption...God, that sounds like the plot to a new FPS... Puke

Anyway, my picks absolutely sucked balls. I had some high hopes I'd actually list this year...not like last year where I was waaaaaay in the back that you couldn't even see me with my hands up...ugh, I can see where this is going and I don't like it, not at all...c'mon, Big Blue, save me from oblivion!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 16:20.

News Comments > F1 2014 Trailer
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 05:51 Rigs

I don't see anything out-right wrong with it. Reminds me of the old F1 Phoenix track, which was featured in Microprose's 1993 World Circuit.

The one thing that is still missing from the F1 sim series is the amount of jitter and vibration that is apparent when viewing from the cockpit or anywhere on the car, especially around the wheels. In-game it looks too mellow and smooth. You watch a real race and the driver is bouncing around in the seat along with his hands on the wheel, especially evident when he goes over corners...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2014, 13:46 Rigs

Whatever. This whole thing has become just...tiring. As in, 'I'm tired of fucking hearing it!'. Seriously, how many articles are going to be made about how 'girls aren't treated the same as guys', etc...we know. We heard. Just because it's been 12 hours since the last article decrying sexist inequality doesn't mean we need another. Like, for instance, yesterday, I'm on Wikipedia and what do I see toward the bottom on the 'Did you know' section?

... that the developer Zoe Quinn considered delaying the Steam release of Depression Quest following the death of Robin Williams?

Seriously? Had the gaming journalism egosphere not taken a collective dump and then written about it last week, would that had been featured? I seriously doubt it. I'm not saying the point they're trying to make doesn't have value. I understand what the situation is and the reasons for it and that's the thing. I GET IT. Please stop trying to jam it into my brain through my ears with a cheap Q-tip....thank you.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > CCP Closing SF Office
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 17:35 Rigs

Wesp5 wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:57:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:38:
Wasn't it Activision who made the first VtM game?

Activision published VtM: Bloodlines and is both guilty of releasing it unfinished and on the same day as HL2. If you want details read what Tim Cain has to say about it: http://books.google.com/books?id=lroZsP4zyIYC&pg=PA102

Wait, wait, wait...he says they were 'being compared to the only other Source game on the market', meaning HL2, but I swore BloodRayne2 was released before that and was on the Source engine...I can't find my box at the moment, but I'd swear it was on the box as being on the Source engine...am I going crazy?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Escape Dead Island in November
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2014, 23:40 Rigs

Enough with the fucking zombies already! Holy shit, I almost wish the glut of WW2 shooters would come back...funny how that happens, like a fad, all at once and then... *crickets* Hmph...

Anyway, if I recall (and I really can't keep all these damn zombie games straight, probably because I'm not into them, mainly because my mind can't rationalize that zombies could ever exist. They have about as much of a chance of happening as the movie 'Reign of Fire' does in becoming a future documentary) wasn't DI2 supposed to be this really cool open-world, almost rogue-like shooter? I vaguely remember seeing a video with the player jumping across building roofs and seeing realistic cloth physics and whatnot...was a while ago, though...looked pretty cool, almost had a Far Cry-vibe to it...

=-Rigs-=

1723 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo