Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1968 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
32. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 12:27 Rigs

Wooo, I'll have to get my 'Chris Roberts Special Edition Popcorn Bag' (it's gold-plated and costs $399) for when the Gamescom presentation and the FPS mode is released just to be prepared for the 200+ comments between the ones that think it's a total fucking farce and others that get all googly-eyed whenever Robert's mentions any buzz words like 'free form', 'six degrees of freedom', 'multi-crew', 'persistent universe', 'single player (is dead)', 'this worked earlier' and the always-a-favorite, 'uhhh'... Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 16, 2015, 11:39 Rigs

Parias wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 13:23:
Nuts -- for a second there I thought "Tachyon Project" had something to do with "Tachyon: The Fringe", the classic space sim... and that this was a remake or something.

Disappoint =\

That makes two of us! Guess Bruce is still too busy with the new Evil Dead show, plus isn't there a another ED game coming out again?

Very...Dis...appointed...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
148. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 23:58 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 10:10:
Can't go by when he created his account. I've been here since the very beginning, registered some years later as Drax, lost my PW or something (I forget) and viola - the present...

The only time I remember the Blue's forum being wholly positive was the early Quake days when we were all still flipping out over OpenGL hardware accelerated graphics.

Hey, I still get excited about OpenGL hardware accelerated graphics! I have three nVidia TNT boards, three S3 ViRGe boards (ugh), two 3DFX Voodoo2/8mb boards Drool , a Rendition V2000-based Diamond Stealth S220 board ("...it even supports trilinear texture filtering"...oh, be still my beating heart! ), and two nVidia Vanta boards (oh god) that I use to play various games from the second-gen 3D Accelerator Era, (from roughly 1997-1998) like QuakeGL and Quake2, Unreal and Unreal2, SIN, Half-Life, Spec Ops, POD, Foresaken, DESCENT2 and 3, FREESPACE 1 and 2 and Jedi Knight 1 and 2. Sure I could play them in virtual environment but it's just not the same as booting up a Pentium2 or 3, or maybe an AMD Thunderbird and playing them natively. You haven't lived until you've played QuakeGL on a Rendition-based board at 1280x720 or Grand Prix Legends using it's Rendition-based mode! One of the best and unique chipsets of the time which was sadly bludgeoned by the behemoth 3dfx. It never got the respect it rightfully earned.

Anyway, about account creation, you can't really go by that at all. Mine says September 10th, 2002, but I've been coming here long before that! Where my original account went? I have no clue. I know I forgot it's password and then abandoned the email address it pointed to, so it's lost. That's after lurking here for nearly two years without commenting at all, just reading the news. Things back then were crazy! The industry was still getting on it's feet, being a geek wasn't 'cool' yet. 'Life-like', 'realistic' graphics meant taking some artistic liberties with the definitions...lol...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > F1 2015 Specs
2. Re: F1 2015 Specs Jul 7, 2015, 16:37 Rigs

I get what you're saying but it's not really a big deal, they're just generalizing between the three main players - Intel, AMD, and nVidia. Granted you're not going to have a fun time using it on an Intel chipset, but I think people know that at this point...at least, I hope they know that...

They could have made it a little more clear though.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
26. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 7, 2015, 03:07 Rigs

bhcompy wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 00:29:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 22:09:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:21:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:30:
Freesync is next.

Variable refresh functionality is in the vesa spec.

AMD's trademark for their support for that functionality is called "freesync" - but it's not actually an AMD specific tech.

If nvidia wanted to fully support all the vesa options, they would have a freesync-like feature too. They simply choose to not support it, and instead make a proprietary solution.

-scheherazade

I think nVidias implementation is well beyond what AMD is offering with freesync. The best example is how it performs when frames go under a pre-defined "sweet spot", with freesync basically not doing anything at all and the resulting image looking the same (tearing) as it would *without* freesync. If you have a rig that can reliably push 40+ FPS in any game with not a single drop below that, then you have nothing to worry about, but most of us are not so fortunate. I'll pay the bit extra for a decent implementation of adaptive refresh, and not having to constantly worry about stepping into some "red zone" under 40fps where my monitor starts acting differently.

Hopefully newer revisions of this standard are actually decent.

what is adaptive refresh and why should i give a shit?

I think this will help answer your question.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2015, 16:24 Rigs

harlock wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:02:
Rigs wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 14:38:
Chrome's implementation on iOS is a fucking joke! It literally (and I'm not exaggerating) crashes within 5 seconds on my iPad2. No matter what I did, I could not get it to remain stable for any length of usable time. I don't see how anyone could use it in that state. My iPad's not jailbroken or anything, just a normal iOS install and some games and apps. Nothing out of the ordinary and yet Chrome refuses to play nice.

=-Rigs-=

runs fine on my air 2

probly needs a cpu bigger than a TI calculator

Movingalong Then it's not doing it's job. If Safari can run fine on it, then I see no reason why Chrome can't. Safari leaves much to be desired but at least it's stable. There's no logical reason why Google can't buckle down some of Chrome's extraneous RAM usage and get it running on older (yet still valid) devices. The iPad2 is, admittedly, the last one on the non-Retina line still to be supported and 32-bit, but it is still supported, nonetheless. If Google can't get it working correctly on it, that's on Google, not Apple. (Can't believe I'm saying that but it is what it is)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2015, 14:38 Rigs

WaltC wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:21:
iOS? Lol...;) The answer is "get yourself a computer" and join the grown-up world and you'll have all of the choice you could want in everything, browsers, software, hardware (unless you buy a Mac, but that's another story.) IMO, anyone who restricts his web browsing to a friggin' cell-phone deserves all the "Safari" he's gonna' get...;)
Ugh!

You forget that a lot of us use multiple devices that aren't exclusive. In fact, I've used my iPad2 multiple times to look up Industrialcraft2 recipes and tutorials while playing Minecraft so I didn't have to jump out and back in. (Not to mention that leaving Chrome open while running Minecraft on my 6gig system is bound to give me performance hitches after an hour or so). I also use the iPad2 for my racing sims as a secondary side display (as do many flight simmers)...

harlock wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:39:
you can get chrome on ios

problem solved

Chrome's implementation on iOS is a fucking joke! It literally (and I'm not exaggerating) crashes within 5 seconds on my iPad2. No matter what I did, I could not get it to remain stable for any length of usable time. I don't see how anyone could use it in that state. My iPad's not jailbroken or anything, just a normal iOS install and some games and apps. Nothing out of the ordinary and yet Chrome refuses to play nice.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
19. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 18:47 Rigs

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 18:08:
harlock wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:44:
Fantaz wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:22:
MS wants to release Win10 this month but I've been working with the latest builds of it every day and it's still a horribly buggy mess right now... there's also serious bugs that MS said to us that they are not planning on fixing until Fall/Nov 2015! there's no way I'm going to switch from WinBlue (8.1) until at least Win10 SP1 comes out, or only when they start seriously fixing the bugs. the DX12 exclusive games will have to wait before i play them.

if you use win8.1 willingly, there is no reason to listen to anything coming out of your mouth

better idea would be to ignore everything you say from now on

THat's pretty ignorant.

Agreed, that's a very ingnorant statement, probably not made from experience. Windows 8 was a waste but Windows 8.1 was a much better beast. While I've stepped back to Windows 7/x64, it was under the notion that my system didn't like 8.1 much. It was only later that I found it was really the lack of a BIOS update and setting my RAM speed back to 1066 from 1600 that was causing me trouble. Aside from those issues, 8.1 was solid and stable. I counted myself as one of those that gave 8.1 the virtual finger since the beginning but I'm not too proud to admit that I was so very wrong. Once the START menu was replaced (with a free app, no less), it was a better experience than with Win7. System response times were faster and things didn't crash as often, nor did they take the whole system with them in the occasions when they did. Your opinion is just that, and I personally, think it is incorrect and seriously flawed.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust
5. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Vector Thrust Jul 3, 2015, 21:57 Rigs

The last Ace Combat game was pretty snazzy. Played nice and was rather beautiful graphics-wise. More arcadey but not nearly as bad as that god awful filth, HAWX. Just something about HAWX kicked me completely out of it every time...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
67. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 3, 2015, 07:28 Rigs

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 04:11:
Rigs wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 02:42:
Krowen wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 01:54:
crypto wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 00:13:
So what happened?... did you get into an accident that resulted in some brain damage? You went from "smart financial decisions" to star shityzen and amiibo purchases. Your talking either total bullshit or seriously messed up; just saying.

I read your shitty post and it gave me brain damage, that's what happened. You probably dumped double what I've spent there in completely inconsequential crap but I don't notice you rushing to list your own hobbies or tendencies. Sack up.

I'm beginning to think Krov ven is trolling us and really is both, just split personalities...both alcoholic stepdads...

=-Rigs-=

Blue seemingly confirmed the other day they were two separate people...I'd like to hope that.

Yes, I know, but lately I'm starting to wonder... *gazes off in the distance*

=-Rigs-=

65. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 3, 2015, 02:42 Rigs

Krowen wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 01:54:
crypto wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 00:13:
So what happened?... did you get into an accident that resulted in some brain damage? You went from "smart financial decisions" to star shityzen and amiibo purchases. Your talking either total bullshit or seriously messed up; just saying.

I read your shitty post and it gave me brain damage, that's what happened. You probably dumped double what I've spent there in completely inconsequential crap but I don't notice you rushing to list your own hobbies or tendencies. Sack up.

I'm beginning to think Krov ven is trolling us and really is both, just split personalities...both alcoholic stepdads...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2015, 02:38 Rigs

I'll just agree to disagree. I hate political arguments to begin with and I have a pounding headache. You win. I'm going to bed...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2015, 16:37 Rigs

So, wait, you're telling me that by voting for the candidate I don't like, I'm affecting more change than by not voting at all?! What?! You guys are crazy!

Imagine if those who didn't see a candidate they liked refused to vote at all. All of them. Say only (pulling from thin air here) only 5% vote - for a presidential election. You don't think they're not going to notice? And even if they don't, the media will, and that is the point. The media will harp up and down that our confidence in respectable, electable candidates has disappeared, dried up. It won't effect that election, but bet your ass the two parties will think twice about running the same old song an dance again.

You're not going to affect change by voting for the other guy. What message does that send? They'll just think, like with Obama, that he was popular or had a popular message, not that everyone hated both candidates. Besides, I'm not going to know who will win, so how am I to know who to vote for? If I don't like either one, which one do I choose? It's stupid. Not voting sends a clear message that I don't like the established set of candidates and until such time as someone comes along that I think will actually be a benefit to this country, I will continue to keep my vote silent. Your method is madness and does nothing to help the larger problem!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Terraria Patched
21. Re: Terraria Patched Jul 2, 2015, 16:27 Rigs

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm gonna set aside some time this weekend and jump in...I'm so indoctrinated with Minecraft methods that my quick two minute peek left me scratching my head. I guess that's all part of the fun, eh?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
32. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 2, 2015, 16:15 Rigs

ItBurn wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:32:
NewMaxx wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:28:
The newest fad in these crafting type games is undeniably ARK. Despite the high demands of its engine it has already hit some impressive numbers.

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

Once it gets DX12 and SLI support (both supposedly in July), I'll probably get on board and run a server of my own.

I don't really like these types of games that have more akin to Day Z than Minecraft. You can't really affect the world. You just place more models on top of it. Plus they're usually more about PVP and less about survival, which I don't like so much. 7 Days to Die is probably the best of both worlds though. Robust survival and it's "cube" based(more like pyramids actually) like Minecraft, except with good graphics.

7DtD should be a no brainer for most survival nuts but for some reason it just doesn't grab me. I've tried, boy have I tried. But something is just missing. Personality could be one. The world is rather static. No NPC's except the zombies. Not trading, no end-game. Just pure survival and whatever you feel like building. Yes, you can affect the world and dig and whatnot, but unless you're building something, there's no real reason to. Is there a 'bottom' to the world, anyway? I never found one. And while the graphics are more 'realistic', they're kinda boring. Even with the new graphics engine...I dunno, it's just...dull... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
31. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jul 2, 2015, 16:11 Rigs

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:18:
Krowen wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 09:13:
People just say Minecraft is a fad because they're jealous of its success and bitter that they have no creative energy.

You are correct, Good Krowen!

Giggle Never gets old...

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 19:12 Rigs

Deepjay wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 18:58:
It's clever the way they're selling basically a piece of fiction - people are slamming down $400 and thinking they're going to be crusing fuel efficiently down some space lanes on their way to their space job, drinking juice-pax and enjoying virtual radio ...

WTF

Who is fucking buying this stuff. Seriously.

NERDS!

Who else would buy this shit? The same people that buy Amibo's, the same people that buy anything at a booth in a Comic-Con, the same people that bought Beanie-Babies, the same people that buy twenty year old LEGO sets, the same people that buy Clone Wars toys and then put them on a shelf. The same people we like to call Brony's ...and maybe a furry or two...

=-Rigs-=

9. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 18:33 Rigs

Wow, way to go with that whole 'we're not going to focus on the money donation aspect' angle by putting out a press release shortly after about a $400 ship! That'll makes us take you seriously!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MotorSport Revolution Demo
1. Re: MotorSport Revolution Demo Jun 30, 2015, 18:30 Rigs

The screenshots on STEAM look at little...jaggy...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Terraria Patched
4. Re: Terraria Patched Jun 30, 2015, 18:28 Rigs

Ok, new Terraria player here, heavy into modded Minecraft and many (too many) hours in Starbound, where do I start with this? Are there mods for it like Buildcraft? I'm clueless... *ahem* *looks around*...I mean, for once...

=-Rigs-=

1968 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo