Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1660 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 06:29 Rigs

That's what I don't get, Bats. What's happening to this industry? I said the other day that all the recent franchises have faltered. Why? Why is it so hard to put all the pieces together anymore, especially in a Triple-A, multi-million dollar title? You'd think it would be a given, but no. It boggles my mind when I read all the reviews for the games that people were 'sure' would make it and...they didn't. Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, SWTOR, DNF, Rage, Dead Space 3, COD, MOH, now this...WTF is going on?!?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 05:06 Rigs

God some of these reviews are as painful to read as the ones for WarZ...are there any more?

Like nin said before, everyone loves a good trainwreck...damn, I do feel bad for the devs though, they seemed to love their game very much, I'm sure some of them are going to take this a little hard...but holy shit, did anyone not see this crap in Q and A? Was there even a Q&A anyway? I always thought that xenomorphs 'saw' by some kind of mix of sonar, radar and sound, and maybe some kind of smell or taste organ. I've never seen a xenomorph with eyes, as we would call them...so this whole 'locating by sound' thing is just stupid in the extreme, they already do that!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 16:55 Rigs

avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 12:46:
No one under the age of 30 wears a wristwatch these days.

Bite your tongue, youngin'...

I'm going to be 35 in July and I wear my watch religiously and feel naked without it on! It's been through about 10 different wristbands until I found a nice flexible, easy-to-wash one. The original battery in my watch, I don't know how or what kind of battery it was, but it lasted a good 5 years! Since then I've had to replace the battery every year or two. But I wouldn't even consider leaving the house without it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Axl Rose's Activision Lawsuit Dismissed
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 22:03 Rigs

Cut him some slack? Why? I think he gets away with too much as it is...Just because he was good years ago at what he did doesn't excuse his antics later on. IMO, the man's a total douche that let all his 'fame' go to his head in a big way. He acts like he's entitled to be where he is/was and whenever anyone tries to bring him down from Ego Mountain, he has a hissy fit, like this lawsuit...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2013, 22:05 Rigs

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 11:33:
Can we get you to do summaries of every comment thread over 20 comments from now on?

Creston

We're gonna run out of emoticons pretty quick...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: It's free! WinZip for Windows 8. Feb 9, 2013, 18:15 Rigs

Um, Blue...

Spot_left Call us shocked! WinZip for Windows 8 isn't free after all! Spot_right

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2013, 09:46 Rigs

Are there any big-budget 'Triple-A' titles anymore that actually haven't been effected by the apparent SUCK permeating the industry lately? Seriously, WTF has happened to all the good games/franchises in the last two years? NONE of them can seem to pull off anything equal to what they did previous, much less EXCEED it! Are we supposed to put all our hopes with 8-bit-wannabe indie titles to gives us a quality experience now?

=-Rigs-=

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 22:55 Rigs

Argue
Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
Tomb Raider was responsible for every computer enthusiast to buy ourselves a Voodoo 3DFX addon card, back in the day. Bat
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:19:
No it wasn't, Quake was. Fight
crypto wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:33:
Yep. Tome Raider sold consoles. Rifle
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 19:31:
It was Half-Life (and to a lesser degree Quake 2) that got me to buy a 3DFX card and it was definitely worth it. Flamethrower
Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 20:46:
Thank you for clearing that up. F*cking revisionist history. Smash
Flatline wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 20:21:
better not say "fucking" you naughty boy! woo! crisis averted, nice job Whip

Drunk2

Lol_dies

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 22:40 Rigs

Damn, this was just announced today and I still didn't get it sent in fast enough! I'll never be a professional news sender-iner like nin and Ant, jus' never! Pouting

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2013, 02:17.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 19:31 Rigs

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
Tomb Raider was responsible for every computer enthusiast to buy ourselves a Voodoo 3DFX addon card, back in the day. Bat
Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:19:
No it wasn't, Quake was. Fight
crypto wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:33:
Yep. Tome Raider sold consoles. Rifle
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 19:31:
It was Half-Life (and to a lesser degree Quake 2) that got me to buy a 3DFX card and it was definitely worth it. Flamethrower

Popcorn

Giggle

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 17:56 Rigs

Flatline wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:07:
Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:06:
I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game... *snip*

We don't need Mass Effect though for a kickass space combat sim. We just need someone to make a kickass space combat sim. I'd be perfectly happy with an original IP.

And once you get into development, I think you'd encounter issues with an ME space combat sim. You'd have like... two weapons. Your rapid fire mass accelerator, and your heavy mass accelerator. No space superiority fighters, interceptors, bombers, or variants among loadouts and or much of anything interesting. Fighters actually seem like they're an inefficient solution in the ME universe. Corvettes seem like they'd be the best starting point- large EZ0 reactors for powering the mass effect fields necessary to launch heavy ordinance or maintain rapid fire. The mass effect field makes maneuverability a null issue- the closer you crank down the effective mass of an object, the more effect you see from thrust. At effectively zero mass, maneuverability becomes infinite from a thruster standpoint.

With that kind of maneuverability and firepower, you'd need insanely powerful computers (not necessarily AI) to pick the most statistically probable firing solutions and saturate them with fire, as well as evasion computers who are trying to calculate evasion patterns that are hard to predict. Not to mention once these slugs leave the mass effect field they're subject to plain old relativity now, which makes time dilation *really* fucking complicated.

Taken to it's logical ends, I don't see fighters... or even frankly organics, taking part in space-based battles. The organics strap into G-force webbing/cocoons and wait for the central computer to finish the fight.

Which, oddly enough, is how space combat works in the book Forever War by Haldeman. Definitely worth reading.

That's where the whole 'fun vs realistic' thing comes into play. Sure you could go your route but it wouldn't be very fun or much of a game. So, if they do make an ME space-combat sim then they'll have to introduce some new weapons and concepts. Obviously fighters were effective to some degree in the universe or they wouldn't have been featured in the game (even if it was only a 2-min clip in a cinematic, it's still 'canon'). You can't really go by weapons available on the Normandy to show what weapons might be available to fighters or lesser craft. They're totally different. I agree that maybe having Corvette-sized ships available to play as might also make it somewhat more interesting. Hell, you could go the Starshatter route and start out in fighter/bombers and work your way up to the big guns. Now that would be the bee's balls right there! Especially if the visuals were close to the cinematic in quality and in the ME universe and if the last campaign was the battle at Earth, where you command a fleet of cruisers, destroyers, frigates and fighters/bombers and then have the option to jump into any one of those craft to fight... Drool Yowza!

And you're right, it doesn't have to be the Mass Effect universe, but it would be nice to have a big-budget space-combat sim...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 12:06 Rigs

I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game, when they all go after the Reaper fleet after jumping in-system and when they cut to the fighter pilot getting ready to engage, I thought that this would be an awesome game on it's own! I would love to fly a fighter in a massive fleet battle with these kinds of pyrotechnics and immersion and with the ME's story background, it would have plenty of stuff to add in. Maybe start out sometime during the middle of the second game and run concurrent to ME2/3's story with Shepard, but telling it from a different angle and explaining how other parts of the military got ready for the fight. It's kind of the same thing I thought about when they included some space dogfighting in HALO: Reach, it would be wonderful on it's own and fleshed out with it's own story amidst the larger conflict... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Hitman Movie Reboot Plans
22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 17:59 Rigs

Coulda been worse, they could have asked Jake Gyllenhaal to do it... Puke

I'm still not recovered from Brokeback Mountain...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 10:49:
How long did consoles really blow us away?

C'mon, Doom came out in 1993. It was far better graphically than anything the SNES, only two years old then, could produce.

Yes, true, but it also took nearly two decades for a PC to be able to handle emulating a 16-bit console. While the PC's had Doom, the sound hardware on a PC was decidedly lacking compared to console. PC's could do a really crappy midi or a really compressed digital audio which sounded almost as bad. Even if the soundtrack of the game was good, you needed a Roland soundcard to here it like it was meant to be. The SNES has no problem in that area. In fact, a lot of older 16-bit RPG 'soundtracks' are very popular (especially from Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy). On the graphics side, it wasn't a case of which was necessarily better at everything but rather each had it's own strengths and weaknesses. Hardware was much more stylized and proprietary which made it harder to code for unless you knew said hardware intimately. PC's were just starting to come into a standardized modular design. (Unless you bought a Packard Bell, then all bets were off! ) While PC's did 3D and polygons better, the SNES did scaling and 2D far better. While there were hundreds of 2D 'shoot-em ups' on console, PC had one in the early 90's, Raptor. (There was also Zone66 and later Firefight, when DirectX and Win95 were in their infancy, but still no match for console) PC's had joysticks and a mouse, but the best way to game was still a joypad. PC's wouldn't get a decent pad until the Playstation was a household name and 3D accelerators were commonplace, along with their more sophisticated games...

Back in the 90's, when a new console was going to come out, the anticipation was enormous. The whole industry held their collective breaths and speculated on the 'unbelievable' hardware. Each generation would be the one to bring 3D and VR home. The games would be something never seen before and the wait for release was agonizing. That was how consoles were supposed to be. They were to be the trend setters that the PC's would aspire to beat given time. They always did. But now it's not even a contest. And now, a new console generation is a 'take it or leave it' kind of thing, not a 'OMG!!!' moment like it was when the first Sony Playstation was announced and then released first in Japan. The console gamers over here at the time would have gladly shaved themselves bald and tattoo any phrase on their skulls for one. eBay didn't exist so the only other option was to pay over $1000 (I know because I seriously considered doing it) to have one shipped here. But then it could only play games made in Japan. But it didn't matter. Just having the thing would have been an honor. You don't see that anymore because the hardware is not such a leap as a it used to be and not nearly as exotic...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2013, 06:02 Rigs

pagb wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 05:05:
robdot wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 02:19:
Im a console gamer who reads blues every day. All you guys ever do is bitch. And talk about all the games your not gonna buy. You endlessly whine about anti pirate techniques while you pirate every thing you can. pc gaming is dead. pc's are dead. no one even makes pc's any more. and no one makes pc games any more, and no one cares.My ps3 plays in 3d on my 60 inch plasma. Book stores are gone. Music stores are gone. Time moves on. Very soon publishers will stop making ports for you to steal ,or bitch about, or declare you wont buy.

About the piracy bit... Are you conscious that console versions are pirated up to two weeks before launch (if not more in some cases), while in PC we have to wait for the binaries to be unlocked (that's launch hour), right? Most of the time the piracy excuse is pure bs.

That's not really true as you can see them listed early when you hop onto Pirate Ba-....Aaaah, I see what you did there! Very clever... Thinking2 ('Sneaky, Charlie...sneaky Wink )

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 23:45 Rigs

Hehe...'nudie mod'...perv...

I much prefer this nude mod instead... Suggwink (NSFW!!!)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 15:51 Rigs

There's a dev down there in Texas land...some big developer but the name escapes me at the moment...hmmm, made some marginally effective FPS's in the 1990's called Doom and Quake. Heard of them?

I want to know why there's such a dearth of good art talent for games these days? All these 16-bit (or, god forbid, 8-bit like 'Hotline Miami' and 'I seek the troof') wannabes with their 'art' is making me cross-eyed. C'mon, fellas, it was fun at first, but now you're just trying too hard to look like you're not trying...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2013, 02:36.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2013, 01:32 Rigs

Oh, for Christ- 'capable of DX11 performance'?! Big frakin' deal! Um, hello, it's 2013 and DX11 has been a viable platform since 2008-ish! WTF?! If I buy a new 'NEXT GEN' console, I want it to blow my socks to Cleavland! Not just be capable of doing what my 2 year old PC can do already! That was the point of consoles in the 90's, to blow us away with these 'amazing' visuals and awesome, never-seen-before games and gameplay. If it doesn't have that, then what the hell is the point? If the console isn't able to out-do current PC's, then buy a frakin' PC and consoles become irrelevant...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
58. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 21:31 Rigs

Typically I don't waste my time to argue about all this bullshit...and that's all it is. But when reading the story (yes, my Blue brothers, I gave Kotaku a page hit, please forgive my transgressions!), this comment...

Malcolm Christiansen @DrShenanigans
@mikesacco @reverendanthony Hey big fan of BL2's writing here also, loved Handsome Jack, TT was a profound misstep & made me uncomfy thanks

...made me just want, very much, at this very moment, to punch this little girlie-mon right in the face! Slap 'Uncomfy'? UNCOMFY?!? Uncomfy is a really bad rash on your crotch, not a character's voice-over in a video game! I can see this pansy-ass strapping himself to a tree to protest a construction site! Where the fuck is my chiansaw?!? Bat

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 20:55 Rigs

And Euro Truck Sim 2 went where? *annoyed*

=-Rigs-=

1660 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo