Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1681 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA5 PC Confirmed?
47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 21:09 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 13:00:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:52:
Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:30:
Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:03:
Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

And RDR may be a fluke. That was one of the most troubled development cycles to actually manage to release a game. The general consensus around the industry was that the entire studio was going to collapse. Instead they released a moody, atmospheric blockbuster, but it seems that it may have all come together at the last second.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was caught off-guard by RDRs success and really had plans to move away from it as quickly as possible. It may explain why we've heard zilch from that studio, too - I really think they were in limbo at release and Rockstar ended up very delicately trying to figure out how to fix their massive flaws without ruining whatever it was that made RDR great.

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

There was a financial reason - they didn't expect the game to do well and, more importantly, didn't think they could take a single person off of the development of the console version to put them on any form of PC port. PC ports aren't free - they cost money. And they require someone to perform them. Even if they're done by a different studio, you still have to have some of your engineers working on the engine and providing support to the external team. And everyone else on the team needs to be available to answer questions. And a producer from the original is probably overseeing the port.
Go reread all the "Rockstar Spouse" reports and tell me if they sound as if they could have spared this. And, when Rockstar seemed to think this would be a failure, hell, basically the entire industry expected this to be the next Trespasser or Daikatana, why would you spend a dime to port it?

Your "fear" argument makes little sense.

Holy shit, Beamer, did you even READ what I said? All of it?!

Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:52:
The only logical reason for them not to release it would be financial not technical.

There was a financial reason

Speechless

Either I'm stupid or you just re-enforced what I just said...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 21:31.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders Announced
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 20:49 Rigs

Oh god, PLEASE don't suck!

*runs off to download demo*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:52 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:03:
Well what's the only game they didn't port? RDR? It's never really been a question of it coming to the PC so much as when.

And RDR may be a fluke. That was one of the most troubled development cycles to actually manage to release a game. The general consensus around the industry was that the entire studio was going to collapse. Instead they released a moody, atmospheric blockbuster, but it seems that it may have all come together at the last second.
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar was caught off-guard by RDRs success and really had plans to move away from it as quickly as possible. It may explain why we've heard zilch from that studio, too - I really think they were in limbo at release and Rockstar ended up very delicately trying to figure out how to fix their massive flaws without ruining whatever it was that made RDR great.

So they wait years to figure out if RDR is a hit and then consider it for release on PC? I find that scenario hard to believe. As has been pointed out by me, and others, Rockstar is out to make money. It makes no sense not to release RDR unless there's a financial reason. And in my opinion, that reason is to feed the 'fear' that Rockstar might not release every game to the PC, thus building their sales on console releases. This way they get the most from the consoles, then get the most from PC buyers and some double-dippers. What could be better than that? (Financially, anyway) RDR may come out later down the line, but I doubt it. There's really nothing about RDR that would make it uniquely difficult to bring to PC. It's certainly not any different from say, LA Noire, which I would think would be much harder to port, given it's various technologies. RDR is basically GTA in the wild west. The only logical reason for them not to release it would financial not technical.

=-Rigs-=

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 12:30 Rigs

Panickd wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 12:20:
Rigs wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 10:38:

THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry. They've done this nearly every damn time and yet each time seems like the first in the eyes of the PC gaming-centric media! You're playing right into their hands, hook, line and sinker! If you didn't act like starving tigers clawing at the gates for that juicy steak on the other side, then this wouldn't happen. Rockstar, at the end of the day, is out to make money. The way they play us like violins is Marketing 101...

There was never any doubt that GTA V was going to be released for the PC. It was expected everywhere by everyone and reported as such. It's become SOP for the major releases of the GTA series to hit the PC 6-8 months after it comes to the consoles. It's a little hard for Rockstar to sucker anyone when everyone knows the PC release is happening. The only people that get shilled are the ones that feel as though they just have to play it day one. And it's not a conspiracy, it's capitalism. Consoles sell more copies than the PC hence the consoles get top billing and priority.

And BTW, all companies are out to make money. That is the sole reason they exist (if they're publicly traded, anyway). It's not a bad thing. It's how modern day economies work.

Isn't that what I just said?! Thank you for summarizing my post, here's some cake... Cake

And for the record, I wasn't criticizing Rockstar, I was merely pointing out something I felt was obvious...

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2013, 10:38 Rigs

I don't doubt that GTA5 will be on the PC as well as consoles and I don't doubt that that was the plan all along. I just can't believe no one else sees it and calls them on it. They know that gamers have short memories, at least when it comes to release dates - after the fact. Everyone knows the release date of some games coming out soon, like GTA5 and Saints Row4 and Assassins Creed 4. But few remember when they were released after they've done so. Who can remember when the original GTA4 came out? Max Payne3? Saints Row 2? Halo2? GTA3? Rockstar knows this. So what they do, and they did it with GTA4 also, is they pile on the PR for the console version, fast and furious (ahem), and never mention the PC version - EVER. This creates doubt in the minds of those that really want GTA. So they start to fear that if they don't get the console version, they won't be able to play it at all! In addition, Rockstar will occasionally hold back a title from being released to PC (Red Dead Redemption), to re-enforce this 'fear'. So when GTA5 is released, they make a big deal about it and get everyone to buy the console version without giving away any plans about the PC version. A few months go by, Rockstar never commits to an answer about it either way, meanwhile the console version is at the top of the charts. The Christmas season comes and they once again trumpet the console version to squeeze every last drop out of it that they can...

THEN, and only then, do they start to give in about the PC version. They've gotten pretty much all they can out of the console version, so now it's time to ring the PC version dry. They've done this nearly every damn time and yet each time seems like the first in the eyes of the PC gaming-centric media! You're playing right into their hands, hook, line and sinker! If you didn't act like starving tigers clawing at the gates for that juicy steak on the other side, then this wouldn't happen. Rockstar, at the end of the day, is out to make money. The way they play us like violins is Marketing 101...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > BeamNG Racing Game Alpha
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2013, 05:35 Rigs

There have been updates to the alpha since the tech demo was released and in the changelogs they state that they've worked on it not being so 'bouncy' or 'floaty'. So they're aware of it and are actively in the process of getting it to feel right. This is one of the first things people mention when they try the demo, so I would imagine it's foremost on their minds to get it correct. In the alpha, it doesn't seem as bad but they still need to make some more tweaks to get it feeling right, which I'm sure they will. This is complicated stuff and it's only very early in development, so they have some time yet to get it perfect...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > BeamNG Racing Game Alpha
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2013, 18:58 Rigs

Yet another game I've been using for a while before being mentioned on here...anyway, yes it's very impressive, but it's still in the ALPHA stage, peeps! Please remember that! The physics are a little 'floaty' but they've been working on it. If you're using the tech-demo, that's a little bit older 'tech', so it's not really representative of the current state of the alpha. They have a lot planned and hopefully they'll have some support from the gaming community...This stuff is awesome!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2013, 18:24 Rigs

Panickd wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 16:58:
Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:42:
You're missing the point. He wanted to instil fear into the troops. Get in line or get fired, it's that simple. People were leaking things, he needed to get the house in order.

This is AOL we're talking about. If someone pulled this at Apple (already happened) or Google I could see it, but AOL? Now literally everyone who watched this guy get canned are polishing up their resumes to hit up any place else to work. No one walks around going, "Gosh, if only I could get a job at AOL!" All this does is screw over an already tanking company. That isn't the way one runs a slowly sinking ship.

BINGO!

Fire someone in front of the rest of the company out of fucking nowhere? FUCK THAT! This could have been handled a million different other ways than how it was. If he was taking pictures, than it was obviously allowed previously and he was given the go-ahead. He could've just told him NOT to BEFORE the conference call. Or maybe he did. Who knows? Still, the way this was handled is out of line. If it had been me that was fired, I'd have had words with him in-front of everyone. I wouldn't just sulk away and pack my box. He wants to disrespect me publicly? He better be ready to get it back, CEO or no! That shit follows you and in future jobs he'll be seen as a push-over. Tim Armstrong is nothing but a fucking bully...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 15 More Games
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2013, 17:58 Rigs

They seriously need to sit down and redo this whole process. As it is, you're can't' just look at the list and know which games are almost done, alpha, techdemo or what! While it's nice they put the 'spotlight' (ugh) on the interesting games, it doesn't tell us why. Games on this list should be at least close to release.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dead Island Epidemic Announced
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 22:03 Rigs

Fuuuuuck me...You'd think they'd fix what they started in one genre before jumping to another one...

And enough with fucking zombie shit already!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > John Carmack Joins Oculus VR
73. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 19:50 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:49:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:32:
Noting this is all moot while I wear glasses,
Ray
I do hope they will figure something out for people wearing glasses, but I thought I've read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about that as the screens you are looking at are literally right in front of your eyes.

I've seen numerous previews and interviews where they've said that glasses are not an issue in wearing the Rift. I want one so bad I can taste it. No, really, I'm chewing on an HDMI cable right now!

Oh, and I wouldn't have thought both of you , Prez and Creston, would be so *ahem* 'whipped' as to worry about having a VR headset on your face while you pretend to listen to your significant other. If it bothers you that much, you can always buy her one too...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 20:16.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:36 Rigs

Jivaro wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:33:
Rigs wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:17:
Not related, but not posted yet - John Carmack has left id!

http://bit.ly/14jAUyP

Err, no he hasn't. At least not according to your link. Maybe it was updated after your post?

No, I was semi-wrong. nin corrected me. And some stories were updated after I posted, too.. I just didn't wait and research it first...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:19 Rigs

Thanks, nin, I didn't see that one yet. I stand corrected!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:17 Rigs

Can be deleted now...

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 11:34.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:15 Rigs

Posted in wrong thread anyway...

=-Rigs-=

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 10:45 Rigs

'Screenies on the front page?!? Sacrilege! You guys find some matches and I'll grab the stake...'

'But all we have is a bag of Cheetos and a BFG'

'Hmmm, that could work but it'll be a little messy'

'Isn't the motto, 'No messy cleanup'?'

'Well, yeah, but it doesn't really work when he's the one making the mess'

'Oh...well...hmph, I've reached my entrail cleanup quota for the month already'

'But it's only the 7th'

'Yeah, I made a second run through Hotline Miami and BROForce, along with some Blood Dragon on the side'

*Everyone nods and groans in agreement*

Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands, why do you ask?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?
28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 14:46 Rigs

zombiefan wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 14:29:
To all you whiny bitches: There will never be enough zombie games. But there will be stupid attempts to cash in on the zombie, by throwing them into Colonial America for instance. Regardless,

BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!

Says the guy named 'zombiefan'...

'Whiny bitch', eh? Bat Why don't you come over here and we'll have a little talk about getting your point across in a more 'mature' manner...

=-Rigs-

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 and Source 2 Clues?
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 12:27 Rigs

El Pit wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 12:14:
Yay, more multiplayer-centered zombie shooters ftw!

Really, I loved the STORY of Half-Life, but I understand it's more difficult and less FUN to make a solid singleplayer shooter these days. That's why no Valve member moved his desk to the Half-Life 3 group. Right, Valve?

Instead, more multiplayer and more hats. If it wasn't for Steam, Valve would be in trouble.

Another vote for the story! You know, I only played through HL2 ONCE but there was a reason (not just because that bit with the airboat got really, REALLY old after a while...like the second bit of HALO, running across all those look-a-like bridges and corridors). To be honest, I didn't want to lose the 'awe' of not knowing every little thing about the story. I saw what Valve wanted me to see in my playthrough, and I didn't go back. (That Ravenholm bit was a pain in the ass too...it just felt disconnected from the rest of the story) I played Episode1 and got about three quarters through and stopped. Never went back to it. Then I watched the story bits of it and Ep.2 on Youtube and I was ready for Ep.3/HL3. For me, HL was more of a movie-type experience than a game-type, like Mass Effect. I don't know how to explain it, but that's how I felt about it. I would love to see HL3...even if I just watch the story bits on YT...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Stunt Runner Kickstarter
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 22:37 Rigs

Damn, for a second I thought that said 'Stun Runner' and got my hopes all up... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
67. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 19:43 Rigs

I hated Quake1 and Quake3 multi with a passion! It made me sick to see all these damn twerps bunny hopping their way to an easy kill and thinking they were 'l33t' for it! Disgusting! It should have been put down as soon as it became a 'thing'. For some reason, though, I have nothing but good memories with Quake2. Hmph...don't know how that happened...

...what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=

1681 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo