Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1724 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warplanes Takes Off
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2013, 13:18 Rigs

I've played WarThunder quite a bit and love it. There's one nagging issue, besides the lousy joystick support (in a flight combat game?! C'mon, it's 2013! You guys should know better!) is the one shot 'You've been Incapacitated' deal. I fuckin' HATE that! Especially when going against bombers that have rear guns/turrets (which the AI controls), they can take you out in less than 5 seconds with two shots! Your engine is just as vulnerable in that situation as well. I don't know if it's realistic, but it sure is aggravating as all hell gameplay-wise!

Other than that, there isn't another MMO flight combat game out there that can touch this except maybe Rise of Flight, but that's a WW1 game/sim, so not exactly the same thing. I highly recommend WarThunder over WoWp.

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > VoidExpanse Announced
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2013, 12:32 Rigs

From post update #3:
"This week everything changed completely. Now we donít have to draw graphics in Paint anymore Ė a new artist finally joined us here :)."

Always a good thing...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 05:52 Rigs

Wow, I should've popped into this thread a lot sooner! From what I've seen since before landfall and then after, some estimated reports have winds sustained as high as 205mph AT landfall (which, to me, seems too high to be possible) and others are in the 175-195mph range (which is much more reasonable, though not any less extraordinary). This doesn't account for higher gusts (some, again, have put them in the 230mph range, which is, of course, theoretically possible). The whole problem is that there was no way to accurately tell because there were no official data being collected before and during landfall (such as hurricane hunter aircraft, which aren't used in the West Pacific basin), everything had to be estimated based on satellite, radar and the occasional space-based microwave scan.

What I can't really understand is why there were so many fatalities (if the first casualty estimates turn out to be true - 10,000+). They had nearly a five days warning, the Philippine government was on the ball (for a change) and evacuated all the coastal towns in the projected path of the storm (which was surprisingly accurate) and had supplies and assets on alert to be deployed at a moments notice in multiple cities and municipalities. Yet, an estimated 10 thousand still perish? WTF? This isn't the first 'super' typhoon to hit them this year (there were three before, two in the last three weeks alone) and there have been 28 named storms this year total. This is a normal season for them. Except for the outright strength of the storm, nothing about this was new to them. They all were very aware and experienced, yet 10,000 estimated dead. I don't get it, I really don't...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 15:58 Rigs

I swear some people just see freakin' dollar signs whenever they look at a website! Not what kind of support it gives to the community it serves or it's value as an information resource...nope, how much SHIT can we safely pile on before everyone runs for something else? Assholes...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 15:00 Rigs

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 14:53:
I've canceled my pre order on it. Will read some reviews first.

*Gasp* Oh, knife to the heart! Geez, you cancelled you're pre-order?! In God's name, why?! This is going to be the best X yet! I wish I had signed the NDA for the beta team when the time came but I missed it. Even if it's a little buggy, I can't see Rebirth being any worse than the best damn space-combat/trading sim around! Honestly, Egosoft should get all the support they can cause, at the moment, they're pretty much the only ones, commercially, holding up the space-sim genre. (Yes, there are Indie titles out and coming and of course, the big gun's Elite and Star Citizen in two years or so, but right now, there's nothing out there that can touch X)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 14:54 Rigs

That is unfortunate. I'm not in any way a programmer but are there alternatives to SF? I see a lot of people using Github lately, is that the same thing?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2013, 13:45 Rigs

Not that I'm advocating cheating (perish the thought! *thinks back to the fact that he's cheated in every single single-player game he's ever played* heh) but if you look at the video (and can stand the guy's 'uh, but ya' over and over and over and...ARGH!) at about 1:42, you'll see that it says that if you leave a job too many times without finishing it, you'll be put in the pool as well. I wouldn't say that's cheating, just being a pain in the ass...fine line? *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2013, 15:55.

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:25 Rigs

Kind of irrelevant but in ALL of my gaming on my 4870, 5770 and now 7850, my fan speeds have never gone above 60% in any situation other than me putting it there manually. I know this because of the sound, especially with my 7850. At 65%, it starts to have this low-pitched 'whine' that gets louder as the fan gets faster. At 60% and below, it's not there at all. On my 4870 and 5770, I've looked over the logs after long runs in Just Cause 2, Crysis2 and 3, Arkham 'whatever', Dead Space 2 and 3, Battlefield 3, STO and SWTOR, and Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon...at no time did it go above 65%. So them maxing the cards at 47% (or whatever) is not that big of a deal from what I've experienced. Obviously, the R9 290 is a new part and as such, works somewhat differently, so there might be, indeed, a need for it to go to 100% but I can't imagine what, exactly, other than extreme overclocking... *shrugs*

Give AMD some credit. They designed the damn thing, I would think they'd kinda know what they're doing, yes?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:16 Rigs

I'm too sexy for this thread...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 21:53 Rigs

They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?

Cause they know it's gonna look like ass on a new Xbone and if that gets out, it'll kill what little momentum they have to sell units...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Rambo: The Video Game Trailer
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 21:48 Rigs

This 'game' proves that graphics aren't everything...god, it just looks so...basic. One shot and the guy in front of you explodes into a million gibs. This looks like a sequel to 'Ride To Hell'...oh god... *shudder*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 18:37 Rigs

Jim gets on my nerves at times, which is why I love to watch Yahtzee pwn him thoroughly in every 'Rymedown Spectacular'...Angry Joe is a fucking riot, especially when he reviews the really bad shit, like Ride to Hell and Sonic Free Riders...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Announced
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2013, 18:05 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:30:
Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:08:
So are they going to take us down to Paradise City?
Where the grass is stained red and the girls are subjugated?

That doesn't rhyme...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2013, 15:09 Rigs

Whenever I start a new game, I immediately head for the graphics options and mess with the v-sync and shadow settings. For some reason, shadows always seem to kill the frame rate, across the board. I have found very few games that it didn't affect. Lately I've spent in-ordinate amounts of time in Minecraft (yeah, yeah, I know) and I always turn off v-sync, and AF. Typically I would keep AF to 16x but then I turned it off one day, my fps shot up like 50 and I sat there looking like Keano Reeves. I was under the mistaken impression (for like 10 YEARS!) that AF had little effect on performance. Duh. So now that's something I watch for too. In graphically heavy games like GTA and BF3, shadows, AF, v-sync and AA go OFF or to very LOW settings and then I step them up after playing for a while...

So, basically, I just do the same thing everyone else does and contributed nothing to the conversation...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 20:15 Rigs

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:34:
ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Uh... not really?
EA didn't "acquire" this studio, EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

But it certainly does not belong on the list of studios they bought and closed, because they never bought it. You're complaining about something by making giant assumptions that aren't even remotely correct yet could have been easily Googleable (we call this a RollinThundr.) EA does lots of dumb, obnoxious things. Don't mislabel this.

I think it's cute your and nin's need to constantly troll me just to troll me all while whining that people troll, it's like the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. Grow the fuck up beamer, stop acting like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.

Group hug? Grouphug

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 17:02 Rigs

While it's all but impossible to mine bitcoins nowadays with anything but a dedicated 'miner' (as has been mentioned earlier) and it will only get less profitable as time goes on, the new 'thing' is an off-shoot of bitcoins - litecoins. From what I've read, they're like what bitcoins were when it started and, if I understand it correctly, is just a rewind of bitcoin mining back to where it was years ago so it might be profitable again with a PC. I would look into that and forget about bitcoins...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 14:41 Rigs

Wow, so generous, nVidia! Probably about that same percentage of chance that I'll get one if I call up and beg!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 20:00 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 18:30:
What height/resolution is your 22" screen and what width/resolution is your 15" monitor? Do they match?

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor as my desktop's primary display and a 1280x1024 19" monitor for a secondary, rotated 90 degrees to portrait, i.e. 1024x1280. It's only a few pixels higher and very nearly the same physical height as my primary monitor, and is also roughly the size and shape of a standard A4 letter page, as seen in any PDF, which makes it useful for keeping an eye on reference material.

My 22" is a Samsung LCD monitor (SyncMaster 2253BW, 1680x1050) and the 15" screen is from a Compaq Presario C500 laptop (actually I have two of them, one dead the other in pieces, mostly working parts - screen on both is fine). Here's a picture of my monitor model sitting next to a laptop screen of roughly the same size. I would like to either take the laptop screen and make a convertible tablet with all the parts or an extra screen to compliment the 22"...I just don't know how to wire the laptop screen on it's own to work with any kind of video input, such as DVI or HDMI...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 17:14 Rigs

This isn't exactly on-topic but I'm kinda at a standstill so I'll ask anyway...I have a laptop screen from a laptop that no longer works (bad motherboard). I would like to find something useful to do with the screen. It's a 15 inch beauty and it would be a real shame to let it go to waste. I also have another laptop that's in pieces but able to eventually work, so I was thinking maybe I could turn it into something like a 'Poor Man's Tablet' with the running laptop and the screen turned around. I know it's not touch-enabled but at least it could be used with a mouse. It would look like one of those 'convertible' laptops. Or, I could use it as a second, smaller screen for my desktop system, like having a tablet to compliment my 22-inch flatscreen...Just curious what you guys think or if anyone knows any links on how to build something like that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 18:16 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:58:
Okay, yeah, let's argue semantics then, since your head has been buried in the sand where the facts are concerned, lol. If the 290X is claiming "victory" over the 780 with a 9% increase, what exactly would you call a 34% increase? That's a bona fide generational gap in GPU performance, about the same as the difference between a GTX 780 and a GTX 680... It's really not an opinion to say that AMD is a generation behind, when they had to bring out their next line of products to match the performance of what NVIDIA released last time.

I'd say a 34% increase in performance is...you know what, I already said what I thought in my last post. I don't need to repeat myself. I don't think it's a big deal. I really don't. The 'gaps' you're talking about are nothing compared to the leaps in performances from the old nVidia 8000 and 9000-series and the ATI 'X' and early HD1000-3000 series. Those were crushing defeats and amazing boosts. The difference in the performance between the HD7970 and the TITAN isn't enough for anyone with a card that's less than two years old to go out and grab one, from either side. I have a 7850 and I have absolutely NO interest in a 7790, a TITAN or an R9 290X. Hell, the 'leap' from my old 5770 to the 7850 was rather disappointing. And, I'm sorry, but no matter how you try to spin it, AMD is NOT a year behind nVidia and anyone that thinks they are really does have their head buried...ahem, somewhere...

=-Rigs-=

1724 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo