Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1643 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
52. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:45 Rigs

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 11:10:
16 gigs..... 4 as a memory cache. I'd go at least 8 now for sure, but more like 12 minimum. You want a little extra headroom vs consoles. The nice thing with the Ram is you can have a lot open in the background and everything still runs grand. The days of close everything to play a game are long gone.

And thank God for that. Oops, I want to play Half-Life. Time to stop half of my processes so I can get as much performance as possible. I do not miss that at all.

Reminds me of the old DOS days...'Oh, damn, just not enough to fit DOS, my soundcard, my cd-rom and the mouse all into HIGH memory...hmmm, guess I don't really need sound, right?'

Then, a couple of quiet hours later...

'Fuck it! The cd-rom's goin'!'

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:27 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:14:
Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:53:
tl;dr - they aren't ahead but they aren't lagging behind either

How can you say that in response to the simple fact he stated? AMD released the 7970 in January, which beat the GTX 680. One month later, NVIDIA releases Titan and absolutely destroys the 7970, enabling them to command a huge price premium that many people have been paying. 8 months later, AMD releases the 290X (very annoying, by the way, that they're recycling numbers that GeForce used to use, in order to avoid recycling their own numbers), which only barely catches up to the Titan in performance. They price it accordingly, on par with what flagship cards have traditionally sold for when there is actual competition abound, but all NVIDIA has to do is issue price cuts and that advantage instantly dissolves. A 780 at the same price will be the more attractive option when you're considering the heat/noise/power that this 290X sucks down and puts out.

So next year, when NVIDIA releases the 800 series, they will again be waiting a while for AMD to respond. How long is up to them; they can release in the first quarter again, or rest on their laurels a bit because of this lead they have built up. One thing is clear, though... All of this breathing room has allowed them ample time to produce superior designs. They're continuing to push performance increases while also REDUCING relative power consumption and thus heat output. They expect the 800 series "Maxwell" parts to be even more energy efficient than 700 Series "Kepler." That's quite different from AMD, who is forced to sacrifice those things in order to boost performance enough to be competitive. For their sake, I hope Mantle does something great for them, because while they may have just won a battle, they're losing the war. I would hate to see their GPU department fall behind like they have in CPUs, because then the company as a whole would be in serious trouble.

What facts? You both are stating your opinions and assumptions as facts. That whole second paragraph of your quote up there is nothing but pure conjecture on your part. The TITAN destroys a 7970?! Are you on crack? Proof or it didn't happen...and if it didn't happen then your whole argument falls apart. I don't see it from your side, which sounds suspiciously like an nVidia bias. That's fine because I'm an ATI (err, I mean AMD) fanboy, so whatever. But still, the fact is that the 7970 and the TITAN are a lot closer in performance than you make out and the 290X, while apparently annoying the hell out of you, is no slouch either. Your comments smack of extremist 'nVidia will rule the world'-type views while the reality is that everything is very much even. I never claimed that nVidia was a slave to AMD's technical prowess, nor do I have the time to break my 'argument' down into little tasty chunks so you/everyone can understand so put away the pitchfork.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2013, 16:33.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 10:53 Rigs

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:41:
AMD may get some big price/PR wins, but the Nvidia has been selling GK110 (780 / Titan) cards for the last 9 months at what must be close to a 100% profit margin. Nvidia is postively crushing AMD in that respect. AMD wishes they could release a card like this at $1000, but they can't because they're getting close to year behind Nvidia in performance. Pricing is all they can do to compete.

Say what? Care to elaborate a little on that? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...AMD seems perfectly able to stand toe-to-toe with nVidia price and performance-wise. The R9 290X isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread but it gets the job done and at a pretty reasonable price point. No, AMD doesn't have anything Crossfire/SLI-related to compete with any discernible difference in performance from anything nVidia has but they certainly aren't a 'year behind'...

tl;dr - they aren't ahead but they aren't lagging behind either

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 10:49 Rigs

NMA: Apple unveils new iPad Air, but does anyone still care about articles that constantly ask if anyone still cares?

Fixed.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Patches
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 09:30 Rigs

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 08:27:
I can't believe they still haven't shipped the plugin API for MC.

Yeah, they're really dragging their feet with it. I guess because they want to make sure that is works with everything and it doesn't break the rest of the game but damn. I mean, if you really look at it, the game itself isn't all that big of a thing. It certainly isn't a very complicated RPG or need to come on 3 DVD's...from my point of view anyway. I don't see why they can't get it done rather quickly. Every update inches it forward ever so slightly and in the meantime we get flowers, stained glass and, uh, horses? I mean, forget the addition mobs and little bits, the mods take care of most of that anyway, same with the biomes. There are 5 different mods that adds biomes and combined, that's like a total of over a hundred different lands. Yet Mojang insists on putting more in the vanilla version. Just get the main features done, guys, and THEN work on that shit!

Really, I just want the plug-in API so this having to download a new version of a mod with every new MC version release will stop. It's such a pain in the ass, and add to that, most mod makers use Adf.ly for their download links, so that's waiting 5 seconds on every download, not including the download itself. Sometimes it's 10 seconds. If it doesn't go through the first time, or you do something wrong or pick the wrong download...another 5 seconds to sit and wait. And I haven't found a Firefox add-on that can successfully bypass Adf.ly without breaking it or them blocking it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 07:26 Rigs

Bah! Not that I'm going to be playing COD: Follow That Dog! anyway but I did have 8gigs in my machine a few months ago. I built a new box for my Mom with a nice AMD A6 (yeah, I skimped, shoot me! She plays on FB and reads email, she doesn't need an i7!), my old(-ish) HD5770 (the reason for giving her that was an excuse for me to get an HD7850...I'm such a bastard! Flush ), and again, skimped on the RAM with only 2gigs of DDR3. She was only using win7x32 so I figured it'd be enough. Well, not quite. Things were sluggish and Firefox would typically slow the system down to a crawl with more than 2 tabs open, especially if they had any JAVA or Flash running in them. So, not having any spare cash after having bought GTA5, I sacrificed 2gigs from my system to hers, giving her 4gigs. Windows7x32 only sees 3.5gigs of it, but that's fine. At least it helped her system become nice and smooth and no more complaints of it slowing down while playing Pet Rescue! *gag*

However, while I figured the 2gigs I took out wouldn't really have an effect on my Win7x64 system, I was dead wrong! Everything is slower now. Apps load slower, the system shuts down slower. I think it even boots slower, even though it's on an SSD already. So my next upgrade will definitely be another 6gigs for this system, up to 12gig total. I don't want to dick around and have to go upgrade again in a year because 8 or 10gigs isn't enough. I only have 4 slots, so I have to manage wisely. (FYI, I have an i5/750-2.66ghz (first gen) on a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, in case you were curious)

=-Rigs-=

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 05:10 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 04:19:
@Rigs, you're running all of those at once?

Also, I wonder how many of those will still work after the update.

In the first group, yes. I use MagicLauncher (as seen here) to load them in a specific order so they don't conflict. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to figure out which is causing a problem if MC doesn't load, but typically you can sort it out pretty quickly. Most problems stem from block id or entity id conflicts, which can be changed manually. There are some other mods I use that aren't as popular as the ones I listed. At the moment, I run 29 mods in MC (as you can see here). A friend of mine who's much more technical at it than I am has had 88 mods loaded at one time before and I've seen it running. It takes about 4 minutes to load up, but it eventually finishes. Some mods aren't coded well and tend to bring your frame rate to it's knees, which was a problem I had with 1.6.2.. So far, with 1.6.4, I haven't had many troubles. I do have to keep AF off or my FPS goes from the high 90's to the single digits. Hopefully when version 1.8+ and beyond is released, these stuttering and low-frame rate problems will be a thing of the past (they're phasing out OpenGL implementation under ver. 2.1, which will make any videocards under that incompatible but will also make the renderer much more efficient because it doesn't have to stay compatible with 'ancient' hardware anymore)...

Most mods break and have to be updated with every version change. I have to go hunting for every single one of my mods when a new version comes out. Most mod makers are on the ball and get them out quickly, especially when there's snapshots in-between. But some mods are left by the wayside and you just have to either stay at your old version or leave them behind. One of my favorite mods, mAtmos, which gives MC custom sounds for everything (walking, running, jumping, etc) is only up to 1.6.2 and the author is having trouble getting it working under 1.6.4, so I hesitated to upgrade but finally I couldn't wait any longer because other mods had new features in 1.6.4 I wanted to use/try, so I just have to wait and hope and keep checking. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2013, 05:17.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 03:41 Rigs

My recommendations for mods to get the most out of MC right now...

Minecraft Forge
Optifine
TucMC
Rei's Minimap
Millenaire
ATG (Alternate Terrain Generation)
Biomes O' Plenty
ExtraBiomesXL
BWG4 (Better World Generation)
Weather and Tornado Mod (with tornadoes and waves OFF)
Dynamic Lights
GalacticCraft
Light Bridges and Doors
Not Enough Items (need Code Chicken Core)
MCA (Minecraft Comes Alive - Villager AI mod)
Ruins Mod

Some others:
Twilight Forest RPG
Divine RPG
Aether 1/2 RPG
ComputerCraft
ThaumCraft
Buildcraft
IC2 (IndustrialCraft2)
WirelessRedstone
Zan's Minimap (alternative to Rei's)
RadarBro (alternative and/or supplement to Rei's and Zan's)
Dungeon Pack
BilblioCraft (shelves and bookcases)
FurnitureMod
AnimatedPlayer
mAtmos (when it's updated to 1.6.4+)
AtomicScience/ICBM/MFFS/UniversalElectricity
Immibis Mods
RivalRebels
Seasons Mod
Invasion Mod

Minecraft Mods List for 1.6.4
http://modlist.mcf.li/version/1.6.4/

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 10:24 Rigs

So I guess I'm never going have those two Japanese guys come to my house and play the Wii with me? Cry

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 10:21 Rigs

This is either going to be the best fucking thing EVER or it's going to be the biggest clusterfuck EVER! I don't see how this can come out and be 'meh'...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham Next Month
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 04:06 Rigs

Well, they're both strategy games, if you want to get technical, but yeah...I can see Paradox milking this surprise cash cow for every little bit they can. Not that I'm complaining...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GTA5 PC Clue in AMD Drivers?
39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2013, 00:13 Rigs

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 22:19:
I'd be happy to help you along, but I have to admit that patch 1.04 only seems to have made shit worse for me. Three times I got kicked out of a session by other players when I was the ONLY PLAYER IN MY SESSION. Several times I got a message that I couldn't save, that the servers were down, yadda yadda yadda. And once, when I had Simeon's special order vehicle, and was chased by SIX players (teehee!), suddenly I think my connection dropped as everyone got disconnected. Did make it easy for me to deliver the car though, hehe.

I gave up. I don't have the patience to deal with this shit. I'll try again tomorrow. Creston918 on PS3. Friend me, or invite me in game, or whatevs.

Very cool...hopefully I'll get the chance tomorrow afternoon/evening-ish and I'll give it a try!

Quick question: Do I absolutely need a headset/mic? Or can I make do without one without it hindering my progress or group cooperation? Just curious...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 21:36 Rigs

Maybe he chose the Giants this week and is on his way down to proudly sit with me in hopeful defiance of all common sense on the SS Gigantic Titanic? Or maybe I'm just becoming delusional from lack of oxygen (not to mention sunlight)...

All joking aside, I can understand exactly what Blue is enduring right now, not just with the immediate illness and uncertainty but with the looming inevitable, heart-wrenching future. It's always great to get a new puppy or kitten and you don't really think about what's going to happen years down the line because you're so occupied with getting them through those frantic early years. We have a brown poodle/lhasa apso-mix named 'Snickers' who we got roughly six months before my daughter was born. She'll be 16 in little over a month!

So that makes Snickers 16 and a half already. He's almost completely blind and nearly totally deaf. In fact, while before it seemed some days he could see better than others, the last week or so it's as if his sight has been completely lost as he bumps into everything now and has to be guided while outside else he'll wonder off. He still has a pretty good sense of smell, but it doesn't have a long range apparently. Unless it's right in front of him, he doesn't know it exists. In addition we've been trying to get him free of worms for months but nothing we do seems to help and as such he's pretty much skin and bones, even though he eats fine and drinks water by the gallon. He has to wear a diaper at all times as he's lost a lot of control of his bladder. In spite of all of this, though, you would be shocked to see how energetic and spunky this dog is! He doesn't leave my Mom's side and when she walks off, his nose is to the ground and he doesn't stop until he finds her. If she goes out and he can't find her after about 20 minutes, he starts howling LOUDLY until she comes back home. And when she does get back, he jumps and runs around as if he were a puppy again! I truly don't know what's keeping him going but he is, nevertheless. Some days are obviously better than others, and there have been times when we thought that he might not be 'here' when we got up the next morning. But he is, bright and early at 7am, jumping on my Mom's bed to get her up. I have no idea how he knows what time it is either but he does. As much as that dog drives me absolutely crazy, I have to admit he surprises me all the time with his will to keep going...

It sounds like Hudson is in the same category! Best of luck, Blue! I know these times aren't easy, by any means, but there are people here that totally understand what you're dealing with...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2013, 23:40.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 21:28 Rigs

I might be venturing onto online for the first time this weekend, if I have some time. So, if you happen to catch me (under Lumarra), maybe help me learn the ropes? I'm sorta a little intimidated going online, to be honest. I had originally told myself I'd wait until I was finished with the single-player but now I'm a little anxious to see the online side too. Though, I have to find a decent mic as I don't have one at the moment...I did..*grumble*...just have to make do without for the time being...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > DTM Experience Demo
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 21:14 Rigs

Drool

Need...to...hook...up...wheel...can't...stop...playing...GTA5...

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2013, 10:44 Rigs

God, I can't wait until GTA5 gets on the PC! I mean, I'm still playing the living hell out of it on PS3 but being on PC will be so much better, in regards to textures, speed/frame rate, pop-in, resolution and mod support. I just wish *R would say SOMETHING! Anything, please!

Anyway, looking at that post, I noticed this too...

<application Title="Watch Dogs Demo" File="DuniaDemoLaunch_PC_r64.exe">
<use Area="PXDynamic">HighPerfGPUAffinity</use>

So, I assume they're going to release a demo along with the game itself? I wonder when? There's also a 'Need For Speed Sequel' entry in there, so obviously the GTA5 and Watchdogs info must be recent and solid as they would have just put in generic info otherwise. At least, that's how I see it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Terra Ex Kickstarter
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2013, 15:50 Rigs

*lots of PR-speak about how scientific and authentic the game experience will be*

then..."The game begins when Earth collides with Mars."

Uhhh...alrighty then...check, please!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Changes
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2013, 03:38 Rigs

I, honest to GOD, can not see the difference between 3 and 4! I mean, I didn't play the beta, so maybe there are obvious things, but in all the streams and vids, I didn't see anything that told me, right off the bat, that this was BF4...am I crazy? (or just stupid?)

Wait! Don't answer that... (I actually asked the internet if I'm stupid...yeah, like they're going to give that chance up... )

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Announced for 64-bit PCs
30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2013, 22:25 Rigs

UConnBBall wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 22:22:
BUT when have they earned this kind of trust? Everything from Stardock has been a mess for what 7 years!

If you're referring to the whole Fallen Enchantress debacle, then I can say that most of those that play GC2 didn't bother with it. It's a strat game, sure, but most GC2 players are 4x freaks. And the support Stardock gave for GC2 during it's run, including the mod community, more than makes up for any mess they had with another game from another genre...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2013, 22:20 Rigs

I went 10-5 this week, my best so far...though I still sit here on the bottom of the ocean, ALONE, on the SS Giant Titanic...I won't abandon them, I'll just cry that much more when they lose again...geezus 0-6! Have the Giants ever started a season that bad before? Blows my ever-loving mind...

As for the loading issues on the PS3, I haven't had any problems with the texture pop-in other than a few times, mainly with the gas stations that you can't enter (the ones with just a texture for the front). Sometimes it will take until I start pulling away from it again to pop in. During the first heist and you drive through that big tunnel, I had some objects pop-in that I ran into which pissed me off but it wasn't something that broke the mission or made me lose. And a second run through (just to check) didn't have the problem again. Now, when you change characters and fly up and then back down, when they show your 'new' character, his surroundings take a few seconds to pop-in, which is a little weird, but it's only a short time and it's done. It might be just because it's the download version that you're having the troubles. You'd think that having everything installed on the hard drive would make it load faster, but for some reason it seems GTA5 is geared and optimized to load from the disc faster than on the hard drive. Hence the reason why they tell you not to install the second disc to the x360 hard drive. Kind of the opposite of what you would think would be the case... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

1643 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo