Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1679 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Jan 14, 2014, 18:19 Rigs

I have to say that's pretty freakin' awesome...thank you, Paradox, for thinking outside the box for a change!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 17:23 Rigs

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 17:10:
Rigs wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 16:58:

Uhh, did I miss something? o.O

In posting that? I assume so. It's surely a scam, as there's no Fallout 4 beta to generate keys for, but even if it wasn't a scam, that would not be something to post here.

Your site, your rules. My apologies.

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2014, 16:58 Rigs

Uhh, did I miss something? o.O

Anyway, I think the thing is the ability for the producers/director to respect the film canon. Not just toss it because the director wants to add something cool (AHEM! *cough* Star Trek Into Darkness *cough*) Abrams is known for not having the best time with intricate story telling. He's not Michael Bay-bad or Uwe Boll-bad (thank Christ) but he takes major liberties. I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to direct this trilogy. I really don't. He's a great guy and I like him as a person and geek, but as a director of sacred sci-fi geek properties - ~~ aeh...no. He's gonna fuck it up. I know it. I'll be genuinely surprised if he manages to avoid the huge minefield he's steaming into and comes out with a great film. The first Star Trek was ok. I liked it. But it wasn't like the originals, it was too much shaky cam, lens flares and running around. Take a look at the original Star Trek 2, what are they doing the most? Sitting and waiting or talking. But that's a good thing. It created atmosphere. Abrams movies are nothing but running from one set piece to the next at full speed. You never get a breath in...well, one that means anything, anyway. And now that they've boxed themselves into a short time to produce the thing and don't have a solid script yet...yikes...that's NEVER a good sign...it means there's no solid vision for the film and it's going to suffer for it...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2014, 17:07.

News Comments > Jumpgate Lives
7. Re: Jumpgate Lives Jan 13, 2014, 21:44 Rigs

Meh...it was ok. I spent a great deal of time with the original but after a while I just...wandered off. Nothing to really keep you there and playing beyond the first bits of exploration and fascination. I much prefer Vendetta Online myself, or maybe some STO in manageable chunks...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Rambo Trailer; Game Release Next Month?
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2014, 20:37 Rigs

I'm actually kinda of impressed with the texture quality. *ducks from flying tomatoes and the occasional lock-in-a-tubesock* (heh, 'tubesock'...tubesock, tubesock, tuuuube-sock...that's a funny word... when I hear 'tubesock', I think of those tubeworms on the ocean floor, where you touch 'em and *sssttthhlyuoop* )

Typically these things have awful textures, washed out or muddled with no crispness or detail, but at least these are pretty decent, considering the game they're in. And at least it has the original soundtrack...hopefully. It's in the trailer, I hope that means it's in the game too. Not that I'll play it...ok, yeah, I'll probably give it a whirl just to see how catastrophically bad it is. Can't ever give up the chance to play a train-wreck. Hell, it looks better than Ride To Hell: Retribution, so it's got some potential. The way he stalks through the forest isn't too bad, looks rather realistic...again, given the game it's in...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2014, 21:13.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2014, 10:57 Rigs

So, um, now that it's a nice, brand new year, any chance we might see the implementation of some tweaks and features for the site? I know some have had issue with the search function not really working that great for specific things (really, it's more 'general/ballpark' than precise but you usually find what you're looking for...eventually). Also, the 'url tag' in the comments is very...cumbersome.

Actually, though, what I'm really, REALLY hoping for is the addition of color gradients for the front page! Apparently a lot of people really like the 'blue to black' gradient idea, and I agree! It looks stunning!

So, please? PLEASE?!? Pretty, pretty please?!? (with a cherry on top?)

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Hello Games Flood Follow-up
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2013, 17:15 Rigs

Well, seeing how a tornado can pretty much form anywhere on the damn planet, I'd think that would be a little stupid...Now, if we're talking about areas that are more prone to this activity, then that's a little different...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 13:45 Rigs

Yeah, I have to agree that Rebirth was quite a let down. I think had they just updated Albion Prelude or Terran Conflict with a new graphics engine and enhanced the ways you can interact and affect the universe around you, plus giving it better AI (or maybe devoted some of the time to give it a planet-side landing option - how bad-ass would that have been?!), they would have sold it in droves. But no, they had to toss everything. I'm kinda split half and half because we're always bitching about devs taking risks and trying something new and though it didn't work out, at least they tried to do something unique and different. Hopefully the modders and further work from Ego can somehow soften the disappointment factor a little...

And while I kick myself for saying and probably will get a hand to the back of my head, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with GTA5. To be fair, I don't think it could've ever been as good as anticipation made it to be and I still love it, but...I dunno. I just wish there was 'more'. More interaction within the environment and better AI. It's certainly an amazing game in it's own right, I can't deny that. Maybe I'm just really hoping when and if the PC version comes around (and I had heard a rumor from TweakTown that there was 'supposed to be' an announcement on Christmas Eve, which obviously never came) that the mods bring in that little bit that's missing now and complete the game and make it the best of the best of the BEST that it should be.

Another disappointment would have to be with Minecraft. While they do continue to work hard on it, it feels like progress is agonizingly slow. The updates that do come out don't really make major changes and focus on things that, IMO, should have been put to the side until some of the other major stuff was completed. Plus all these near-constant little updates end up breaking my mods every time and then I have to go update every single one which is a major pain in the ass. If they would just finish the frakin' MOD API already, this wouldn't be such an issue...or any issue at all. I would also like to see some more of a graphical update to it. Texture/Resource packs and mods help but it needs major optimization. I know in the updates past 1.8, this is going to be addressed with the dropping of ancient OPENGL compatibility, but still, there should be an option to crank it with optimized, native shaders that run very smoothly on current hardware. Right now, on my Core i5/2.6ghz, 6gb of RAM and HD7850 system, I average ~30fps with 48 mods loaded. Implementing AF or AA makes the fps plummet to the single digits. And forget the highend shaders. But if they actually hardcoded them and optimized it IN Minecraft itself, that would be a whole 'nother story...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:11 Rigs

Yes, but think about it for just a second...had this mod actually allowed all the seething hate to fill that forum, do you honestly think it would have lasted this long? It would have imploded into a singularity of pure, vile hatred and evil, slowly consuming the net in an ever expanding event horizon of horror (holy shit, I need to write this down! )...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:07 Rigs

Well, I can happily go into 2014 knowing that nothing at Blues has changed a damn bit in all these years...People still bitch at perceived injustices against them at the slightest drop of a hat...and you know what?! That's just fine. Complain all you want about something nice that a big bad publisher decided to do for you filthy heathens, all out of the kindness of their hearts Giggle ...I still love ya anyway Smitten2 and hey! Now you even have ME bitchin' about bitchin'... So there you go! It's one glorious circle-jerk and you guys made it happen! (What?! No 'circle-jerk emoticon?! Hmph...) Grouphug Horray! *fireworks and confetti*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2013, 06:35 Rigs

I'm sorry...I still can't take any computer seriously when it's called an iMac... Giggle

And before you get high on your Apple horse Rotfl ...ahem...keep in mind I have two iMacs humming quietly along next to me...

Anyway, $7,000 for a computer that isn't a powerhouse seems like an awfully stupid thing to buy, but then again, I don't do much 3D or video work (at least like I used to) so it might all be in those FirePro cards. Which, for the record, are crap for games. I had an older Firepro given to me by a 3D CAD user friend who had updated and didn't need it anymore. At first I was all happy and excited even though I knew they weren't made for games. But I was hoping maybe that was just something they said. Turns out, nope! On a Core2Duo 2.66ghz and 2gigs of DDR2 RAM, I was getting a whole 25 fps in Crysis. Yippee! Sarcasticclap

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Wings over Flanders Fields
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2013, 06:11 Rigs

This was originally a major mod for CFS3, the new version only needs to check that you have the cd's (or really a cd key) so it can acknowledge those always important copyrights to Microsoft and then tells it to fuck off. Basically so they can use parts of the engine that still belong to MS. It was a very substantial mod but I think it coming out now, so long after CSF3 has been forgotten can either be seen as impressive or fashionably late or clueless, depending on your point of view. Given that there are still modders for the old MICROPROSE sim European Air War(!), this doesn't look so out of place. I understand that doing something like this is a great time consuming effort, but unfortunately for them, Rise of Flight and the MMO's World of Warplanes and WarThunder (which both feature WW1 aircraft) have come out in the meantime. RoF especially is a graphical treat. Still, what they've managed to wrangle out of this 10 year old engine is impressive, definitely a labor of love...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
53. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 03:54 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 18:17:
Why all the bitching? We are now getting SOMETHING from Disney that Lucasarts couldn't/wouldn't do in over 10+ years?

This is what you want?!? This pitiful wannabe...SHIT?! LOOK at the video again! The TIEs, they have red rocket exhaust! WT everloving F?! At NO time, in any simulator I've ever played did the TIEs have ANY kind of exhaust, colored or no! At 0:30 in, the X-Wing blasts the TIE with one shot and then proceeds to do a barrel roll that, all things considered, should have turned him inside-out! Maybe that's why the TIE that was NEXT TO the one he just effortlessly blasted mere seconds ago is able to wreck his ass with two shots MAX! Who knows, maybe he did resemble a tipped-over cherry pie in his cockpit seat...would explain why we hear, '...can't shake him', when he doesn't do any 'shaking' to begin with!

Again, YOU want this? In that case, YOU'RE part of the problem! Bat

GET HIM!!!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Overgrowth Early Access
2. Re: Overgrowth Early Access Dec 18, 2013, 03:31 Rigs

Indeed, if this was a framework available for other designers or a tool, it would be awesome, but as a game, it leaves a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, the tech in mighty impressive but there's not really a 'game' here. Kinda like that soft-body physics car sim that came out a few months ago NG Drive. Impressive tech, no game. Why they put this on Early Release when there's really nothing actually there but a sandbox to fool with until you get bored...I dunno...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
19. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 02:10 Rigs

Denthor wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:11:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:33:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.

How do you do that for a review of a movie/game/lets play etc?

Get permission from the publishers to review their game? What if it is a scathing review? All the power is on the publishers side which is open to abuse.

First off, watch this for the process that most of the bigger channels go through to get permission to look at a game. A lot of devs and publishers will send them STEAM keys (whether it be for a review, commentary, Let's Play, whatever)...

(I've been doing this ALL day, actually, and I've learned much in the last 24 hours about a lot of legal CRAP that makes absolutely NO FUCKING SENSE WHATSOEVER!

Next...Cutter, man, I respect your opinion but this time you're pretty much chewing shoe because you're totally WRONG about what's happening...again, I've been talking about this ALL damn day...watch this...
....and this....and this...and some of this too...

And if you don't want to bother putz'n around with them, at least watch THIS!

They explain it much better than I could. My brain is about to give out, it can't handle all this crap stuffed into it in one day! Ugh...

=-Rigs-=

25. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 14:38 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:29:
Episode IV

A NEW HOPE

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships indie developers, striking
from a hidden base their basements, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire game corporations.

During the battle, Rebel indie
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's Corporations'
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR
FREE TO PLAY MODEL, an armored space
station
a revenue generator with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's Corporations'
sinister agents accountants, Princess
Leia
Tim Schafer races home aboard her
starship
uh, his Snuggle truck?, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save her again, his
people and restore
freedom to the galaxy gamers....

Better...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 13:49 Rigs

Fuck me! Is it asking too much to get a semi-hi-fidelity space-combat sim set in the Star Wars universe around here?!? You know, back in the day, when the PC sim audience was about a TENTH of what it is now, try to guess what LucasArts was pushing out every year or so? Yup, that's right, a serious SPACE-COMBAT SIM set in the Star Wars universe and you wanna know somethin' else? IT FUCKING RULED! Literally! It was PC GAMER'S BEST PC GAME OF ALL TIME! Now, in Twenty-aught-thirteen, with PC's hundreds even thousands of times more powerful...this...THIS is what we get?! I'M NOT BUYING IT! I'M NOT PLAYING IT EITHER!

This is a straight analog to how Lucas was forced to make the original trilogy with the funding and technology of the day, which put serious limitations on what he could do, thus giving him a challenge that he had to overcome in order to be successful. The second trilogy is proof that when those limitations are removed, when the challenge is no longer there, the passion is lost. THIS...*points finger in disgust* whatever it is...is also proof that when you have no limitations on computing power or budget (since it's Disney holding the checkbook), the challenge to make a good game within a limited space and amount of resources is gone, and thus with it, the passion to make things the way they should be...THE WAY TRUE STAR WARS SPACE COMBAT SIM FANS WANT THEM TO BE!

THIS HAS TO STOP! Stop making garbage for a quick buck and actually find a developer that will pour it's heart and soul into a game that is worthy of the lineage...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2013, 23:04 Rigs

Easy there, Creston,, I think I'd rather have Heists that actually WORK and are FUN to play than just having them for the sake of having them...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $34 Million
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2013, 15:14 Rigs

I don't know what the big deal is...Triple-A games in development typically cost in the tens of millions to produce. Granted this is money that is usually provided by a publisher instead of the public, but still, it's not like Robert's is sitting on a throne of gold and cash, occasionally taking a dip Scrooge McDuck-style...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2013, 17:29 Rigs

Gonna leave this here in case anyone missed it when I posted it in the ITB...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4jofI_rKY#t=112

Really something you guys should see if you haven't already....

=-Rigs-=

1679 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo