Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1968 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
11. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 20:00 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 19:23:
Rigs wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 18:52:
And just to be an AMD bitch by raining on this grand parade you green bastards didn't invite us to, we have swanky new drivers *sparkle* (Catalyst 15.6 beta) *sparkle* for BATMAN too! So Nahnah ...

Gratz!

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 19:03:

Get your penny stock shit out of here. lol

Yeah, I was probably asking for that...lol...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 18:52 Rigs

And just to be an AMD bitch by raining on this grand parade you green bastards didn't invite us to, we have swanky new drivers *sparkle* (Catalyst 15.6 beta) *sparkle* for BATMAN too! So Nahnah ...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
19. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 18:28 Rigs

As a 'hardcore' simracer, I find this disgusting. And I'm not alone. Like space-combat-trading-sims, these things are a labor of love. They're not a cash grab. Or at least, they're not supposed to be. I don't know what Chris Roberts is smoking. (Apparently some good shit, considering how much money he got but I digress) Sim racing is something that takes years of practice, years of commitment. Hundreds of dollars in equipment. You don't spend $400 on a wheel and pedals to play Forza. Sorry. I mean I don't. Or wouldn't. This whole 'ship it and flip it' is bullshit.

Let's take a look at Race07. Given the number in it's name, the sim was released in 2007. Continually upgraded by the folks that gave us GTR and GTR2, this sim has spun off Race07, RaceOn, RaceOn Extreme, a ton of expansions and mods including the absolutely excellent Game Stock Car . Nascar Racing 2003 still lives through mods, even today, 12 years after release. Grand Prix Legends (GPL]), the granddaddy of open wheel sims on modern systems (aside from the old but still good, Grand Prix 2 (F1GP2)), still has mods and is still supported by the mod community. rFactor is still supported by mods and was the catalyst for the GTR-series. You don't release a racing simulator, dump it on the community and then quickly move on to the next iteration. Your sim will die. I can tell you that without hesitation. PC has it's merits, it's beautiful and is a very good simulator. It does what it does well. But it will be a footnote in simracing history if they continue with this practice. The community is not going to support these actions...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
22. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 13:45 Rigs

descender wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 13:11:
Give me some PC racing games actually worth using a wheel in and I'll considering something like this again. It really is remarkable the difference it makes using the wheel.

Anyone else play POD back in the day? God I loved that game. Yeah, I had a wheel for that... :p

Yup, played POD. I actually got my start with one of these in Papyrus's Indy500 back in 1993. Shortly after that it was Indycar Racing, Nascar Racing and Grand Prix 2 (F1GP2). Then it was on to Grand Prix Legends and the TOCA and GRID series. Nowadays it's mainly iRacing, though I do play the occasional NASCAR 14 (and now 15), F1 2013 (with the historical DLC, the only good one) and the new DIRT Rally which is extremely good, to my surprise. Like Colin McRae/WRC4 good! In between all that was Viper Racing ('member that?!), GTR1 and 2, Race07 (and it's derivatives), Live For Speed, NFS Shift 1/2 and rFactor (especially with the VHR NASCAR mod). So there's still many titles out there to play if you aren't too picky. The future is bright for this genre too, with the recently released Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and the ongoing development of ol' Euro Truck Simulator 2...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
15. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 12:37 Rigs

JayDeath wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 12:01:
My G27 is holding up well. My only complaint is all the wires. I would like a wheel setup with less wiring, if that's possible.

I'll second that. My G-25 is still going strong at five years old. I still have my Wingman Formula Force in the closet, along with a ForceLabs RS wheel, which, while a little 'cheap', is still a decent wheel. My LWFF sadly isn't supported in anything over WindowsXP. I love Logitech, most of my stuff is from them (keyboard, mouse, wheel, webcam, gamepad (when not using my PS3 DS3)) but I think they totally missed the boat when it came to hardcore, top-of-the-line wheels and pedals. My G-25 has a nasty habit of having a little 'notch' right in the middle of the wheels rotation, so trying to keep a straight line requires me keeping to either side of this 'notch'. I've tested the Thrustmaster and FanTec's and noticed that all of their wheels are smooth from one side to the other. I don't know if it's just my wheel or inherent to all G-25's. The force-feedback is nice but I tend to keep it low. I don't need it to rip out of my hands when I bump another car or the wall. Just a nudge is enough to tell me all I need to know. And really, that's what it's about. Not the fly-by-your-pants style but just subtle clues to your environment that you can't get from a simulation. I know some people like to jack it up to the highest setting so that the wheel practically takes over. That doesn't seem to be much fun to me. Just give me the hints I need that a real wheel would give in a real car. I don't need my arms ripped off for spinning into a wall, thank you.

As for this new wheel? Well, the only thing I'd be concerned about is the handling and what they've done to keep the FFB smooth and engaging. Sadly, I see nothing about that here. I don't care if it's got 'hand-stitched leather' or a 'leather-covered ball' and 'anodized aluminum spokes'! Is that going to help me take a few seconds off my lap times? I seriously doubt it. And that's the difference between the hardcore sim racers and those just playing a racing 'game'...and why Logi apparently doesn't know the difference...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Division 9 Footage
15. Re: Division 9 Footage Jun 4, 2015, 05:50 Rigs

Hump wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:11:
speaking of other heartbreakingly promising games that never made the cut but had an amzing trailer...Prey 2

You want heartbreaking? You want soul-crushing?! I only have to mention one title. Nothing more needs to be said.

Babylon 5: Into The Fire

Let it never be forgotten...well, you can, I won't...EVER...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2015, 05:57.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 3, 2015, 02:59 Rigs

'In Mamais' vision players will have to plan where they want to go, because every input into their spaceship will require the direct opposite input to counteract it.'

Oh yay, having to sit backwards for half your trip to anywhere to slow your momentum...now that is what is missing in space combat sims today! Movingalong

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2015, 02:40 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 01:48:
Rigs wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 15:36:
Yet we simultaneously give the practice support and shun it at the same time=-Rigs-=

"WE" don't, gamers are not a homogenous group. They are just people, and most people on are planet are fucking stupid. As for industries "collapsing". Sorry to say but it's not just the gaming masses who take it up the ass.

The vast majority of people buying games 1) are stupid 2) don't understand technology. If you asked the average gamer about dedicated servers you'd get a blank face.

Aside from the major public media (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, et al.) , I can think of no other 'group' or industry that accepts the process of half broken products being put on the market to be fixed after they're bought. I wasn't just speaking about the whole GG controversy. By 'we', I was referring to the gaming press and those that read what they put out, not just gamers in particular. You can find the objection of 'booth babes' as a 'thing' right next to a slide-show of it on the same site. (well, you could, this was a while ago that I saw it)

As for dedicated servers, I think you don't give gamers enough credit. Maybe console peasants might not understand the importance, but every time a new Call of Duty is announced, all I see in the comments is 'Dedicated servers?' asked a half billion times...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2015, 15:58 Rigs

Would just like to point out that if you want to get in on the comment fun on Polygon and don't have an account yet to do so, they make you wait a day (down to the second) before being able to post. I mean, really?! That was the whole point I made an account and I find that out at the end. Fuck off, Polygon...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hatred
23. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hatred Jun 2, 2015, 15:51 Rigs

Optimaximal wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 05:42:
At least Amazon moderates their user opinions to the point of requiring you say things about the actual product.
No, they really don't...
Steam now lets users rank obvious fake/joke reviews as such. If you do so, then the game will very quickly get its deserved ranking.

Yeah, but if I see another

*long, tired, meaningless, cringeworthy, humorless story of fail*
followed by 'Got to fuck a goat while watching Game of Thrones (wha..?)
Would do again, 10/10'

..I'll fucking scream!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 15:36 Rigs

What I can't understand is why this industry does so many bullshit things and gets away with it that others would outright collapse from. You don't see the car industry having a crisis about misogynistic writers/users. Have you been to a car show? There's 'booth babes' everywhere. Yet we simultaneously give the practice support and shun it at the same time. Almost like a guy who masturbates and then feels guilty about it afterward. This industry got too big too fast, too commercial too fast. You go back to the late 80's/early 90's and none of this is an issue. I know, I have the gaming mags to show it. I read them often. (True story, I have 5 plastic containers FULL of about 500+ gaming mags, CGW, PC Gamer (the whole set (bar one or two) until 2001 and a whole set of Next Gen not to mention various Game Players, Computer and Video Games, EGM, and the holy grail - PC Accelerator...OMG, PC Accel could never exist in this environment! Could you imagine?! That's how bad this has gotten!) This industry gets away with releasing half done products that are fixed (mostly) after release! What other industry allows that?!?

The gaming industry is having a personality crisis and hopefully we can, along with the 'Major News Media' get through this without imploding and taking it's base with it...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
6. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:00 Rigs

bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.

Yeah, but you can easily go into the game directory and run it without Steam being online. I wonder how they'll handle that with people that use cracks to get around that restriction. I applaud Valve for finally stepping up to the plate and being a respected market leader they're seen as but I foresee a lot of hassle with this with such vague language for returns like 'for any reason'. I fear that will come back to bite them in the long run...and later, us as well...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
61. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 26, 2015, 10:17 Rigs

InBlack wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:17:
Rigs have you tried setting the default "Borderless Window" graphic setting to "Fullscreen"? I noticed that the few hardlocks (with sound continuing) I got with the game completely dissapeared once I switched to Fullscreen. Also turned the FPS setting from "unlimited" to locked to 60. (Your system might not handle 60, locked at 30 the game ran much smoother on my 'old' GTX760).

Well, as I mentioned in the 'OoTB' thread, my issues have been resolved by underclockng my CPU and RAM and updating my BIOS. Just wanted to mention that here as well in case someone is searching for the same answer I was in the future.

My settings in TW3 are 'Full-screen' with fps set to 'Unlimited'. I've seen some people say that setting it to anything other than Fullscreen will cause issues while some say the opposite. Same with the fps setting, some say to lock it and some say doing so causes problems. Since I'm running it on a 19" 4:3 1280x1024 LCD monitor, my GPU has some extra power that is usually used when playing on my 22" Widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 LCD monitor. Running the lower res lets me bump up other settings, such as Post Effects, AF and AA that I would typically keep off or low. Shadows are another frame rate killer for AMD cards in my experience and something I tend to keep low. AA is another one along with Vsync. If a game runs well, first I up the AF, then turn on Vsync and finally, if I have power to spare, I'll turn up shadows or turn on AA. In TW3, AA is off, Vsync is off, shadows are medium and motion blur is off. In GTA5, almost everything is set to 'Normal' except Post Effects and Shaders. Those are Very High or Ultra. The textures might look like ass but at least the effects and sky are pretty bad ass...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2015, 20:37 Rigs

New update 1.04 for The Witcher 3 is out. I've solved my earlier issues with both The Witcher 3 and GTA5. Spent nearly all night last night playing both with no problems whatsoever! The solution? Updated my BIOS from it's default original to one released in 2012 (which apparently supports my SSD and RAM much better, since SSD's were a new-ish thing back when this system was originally built in 2010) and slightly underclocked my RAM from 1600 down past it's default of 1333 to 1066. I also set my CPU to it's default 20x multiplier (at 2.66ghz) from what it's been running since being built, 21x (2.8ghz). These changes fixed Windows7 BSOD'ing randomly like five times a day (since it's installed on my 40gb Intel X-25 SSD), The Witcher 3 crashing out after 10 minutes and GTA5 crashing out after 10-15 minutes. The only problem I ran into was The Witcher 3's notorious 'minimizing bug', where the screen tried to minimize itself to the taskbar over and over for about a minute. Then it stops and you can continue playing. This is a known issue that hopefully this new patch corrects. My thanks go to those that gave suggestions in a previous thread, Quinn - InBlack - Retired, much appreciated! Salute

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 26, 2015, 10:06.

News Comments > Star Citizen Asset Leak
23. Re: Star Citizen Asset Leak May 25, 2015, 20:26 Rigs

Orogogus wrote on May 25, 2015, 19:21:
jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2015, 18:21:
I'm sure the designers are smart enough to realize it if we are. Do you suppose it's simply they assume the average viewer won't be able to wrap their head around something like a Star Destroyer with a bridge on both the top and bottom?

The Bab 5 Star Fury is one of the better sci-fi fighter designs, IMO. The focus of view is towards the forward hemisphere, not the bottom or top. Most star fighter designs are just space versions of the F-15 or whatever.

I think this owes as much to anatomy as psychology. Our heads are on top of our bodies, with our eyes set facing forward.

It seems to me that the Starfury, like the TIE Fighter, has a smaller field of view than a space F-15 cockpit. If you have a bubble cockpit on the top of a ship, the pilot's head pokes up and he has full view of the entire top hemisphere, minus whatever's physically obstructed.

In that Starfury, the pilot is seated back from the glass, so he has less than the full hemisphere's view. He has a cone of vision extending from his eyes to the edges of the glass instead of the full hemisphere, further obstructed because his instruments and controls are in front of him instead of below the glass.

I think if you really wanted to emphasize the forward hemisphere of view, you would put pilots lying down or on their chests, with their heads poking out a bubble facing forward. But neck cramps are probably a thing, and it also doesn't sound very safe for the pilot.

Actually, Minbari fighters are piloted laying down...

=-Rigs-=

57. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 23, 2015, 02:22 Rigs

So now I have a new 'wrinkle' in this whole saga of getting this game to run right on my system. Before it would crash after about 10 minutes, as I've explained before. I updated to the 1.03 patch, gave the game it's own profile in the AMD Cat Control Panel and set it to 'High Performance'. I've tried just about every single suggestion here and elsewhere short of upgrading my BIOS and underclocking my video card. (I'm not against doing that, I just haven't gotten around to installing Afterburner and testing it)

However, after patching it up to 1.03, I found that it did crash after about 15 minutes, allowing me to get into the prologue and through the combat tutorial but then it straight locked up just when I thought it was actually going to finally work.

(Slight, slight SPOILER!: The exact spot is when you're on the horse following your companion through the ransacked little villages and encounter two wolves and then you get to a bridge. Right there, in the middle of the bridge, it locked)

But after it locked, the sound continued and I was able to alt-tab and then close it out. In this way, no crash log was made. Apparently, this is another well-known crash/freeze bug and I'm currently making my way through this forum thread to see if anyone has found a fix for this. Whether the other problem has been fixed and now I just have this one instead or I have both, I'm not sure...I'll update when I know more... Sigh

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > NASCAR '15 and Demo Released
12. Re: NASCAR '15 and Demo Released May 22, 2015, 14:41 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on May 22, 2015, 13:07:
I wasn't meaning to touch a nerve, Rigs, but I can't help but think you're overstating things a bit... iRacing boasts on their website that they have "over 55,000 members worldwide," so if that's your metric for a massive community, you've kind of validated my comment right there.

But let's assume there really are millions of people aching for a NASCAR sim racer, say 2-5 million. That is still a very small fraction of the sport's supposed 70+ million fanbase (dwindling every year for the past several, from what I've just read), and is exactly the point I was trying to make.

No, no, it's ok, I guess I was fanboying it a little much. You're right, I didn't have any official facts to back up my claims, I was just talking in relative terms. I'm really waiting for the day that I can jump back into the ol' #63 Bluesnews Chevy again in a worthy single and multiplayer NASCAR centric SIM...none of this arcade stuff or these multiple racing genre sims. iRacing is all we have right now that comes even somewhat close, so those of us that do race tend to put it on a pedestal that, as you pointed out, compared to other sports and gaming genres, would be no more than a small niche community.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 23, 2015, 01:21.

53. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 22, 2015, 12:54 Rigs

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2015, 09:10:
Rigs when was the last time you cleaned you CPU Cooler/Fan combo? The reason I ask is because you mention that you have an old MB, and you leave your PC on 24/7 (major dust bunny magnet) so maybe it's been a while. I used to have similar crashes/freezes/lockups in games until I cleaned my CPU/FAN/COOLER (and reapplied thermal paste).

I know this sounds far fetched, but give it a go, it takes two minutes to vacum cleane the fan/cooler at least.

Again, thank you for the suggestion, however, I'm way ahead of you on that...lol. The system is older but it's been in three different cases since I built it in 2010, each one a bigger enclosure class - Mini-ITX, mATX and finally plain ol' ATX. The system sits here on the left side of my desk, with it's left side panel off and two small desk fans (about 6" across) sit next to it blowing cool air on the video card and hard drives. It just had a full cleaning when I reinstalled Windows8 last year and while it might be a little dusty, it's certainly not clogged with dust or dirt or hair or anything like that. I watch this thing like a hawk....or an over-protective father, whichever. It does stay on pretty much 24/7 and it is possible that it could use a new layer of thermal paste. That hasn't been redone since it was built. Aside from another case fan behind the CPU, it's only got the retail box supplied fan and heatsink.

The GPU's fan (an XFX 'Ghost Core' HD7850/1gb) was replaced in September as the previous fan stopped spinning after about 10 months. Since then it's worked fine.

Still, like I said, I do appreciate the suggestions. There could definitely be something I've missed that is obvious to another set of brains/eyes...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on May 22, 2015, 13:03.

6. Re: NASCAR '15 and Demo Released May 22, 2015, 12:37 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on May 22, 2015, 11:32:
I don't think people liking to watch NASCAR (for some reason, it's beyond me TBH) equates to people wanting to virtually play at it. I don't think their target audience is very big into video games, let alone racing sims.

No offense, but you just said that you don't think the audience for games of a sport that you don't like and don't watch are really not into games for said sport. (Unless I read your comment wrong) I respect your opinion and you're welcome to it but you'd probably be surprised how wrong you are. The sim racing community is vast. Just the iRacing part alone is massive, especially the NASCAR sanctioned 'PEAK AntiFreeze Online Cup Series' (which is an official branch of NASCAR...let's see F1 do that!). When NASCAR Racing 2002 and 2003 came out, along with NASCAR HEAT and NASCAR Sim Racing, the community numbered in the millions. It's shrunk since some, but it's still a very dedicated and avid group. You may not hear much about us in the main gaming press or the mass media but like flight simmers, we're there all the same. The amount of money flowing through this industry is as massive as the community.

Now I, myself, can't see the appeal of Rally or Drifting but I recognize that it has some very strong supporters, especially Rally. The new DIRT Rally game/sim has been well received by the community and can only get better as time goes on during it's 'Early Access' period. Still, given how arcade~ish this new NASCAR '15 is, I really wish there was a single-player iRacing/NR2003 equivalent sim out right now. It's a gaping hole that, like space combat-trading sims before it, needs to be desperately filled...

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: NASCAR '15 and Demo Released May 22, 2015, 11:16 Rigs

Now now, we're not talking Nascar 2000/Revolution or Nascar Thunder levels of incompetence here. It's a serviceable arcade NASCAR themed racing game and in that regard, it does ok. If you're looking for the next Nascar Racing/single-player iRacing, then you're sorely out of luck. It's all about expectations. Obviously, the only true 'heir to the throne' should be something like a single-player iRacing sim. Why this hasn't been done yet, considering how much more popular NASCAR is in the U.S. compared to F1/V8/Drift/Rally, is very perplexing. No new NASCAR sim but we'll throw out the F1-equivalent of a Madden game every year with each having diminishing returns in both quality and content.... Headscratch

=-Rigs-=

1968 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo