Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1597 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:25 Rigs

Kind of irrelevant but in ALL of my gaming on my 4870, 5770 and now 7850, my fan speeds have never gone above 60% in any situation other than me putting it there manually. I know this because of the sound, especially with my 7850. At 65%, it starts to have this low-pitched 'whine' that gets louder as the fan gets faster. At 60% and below, it's not there at all. On my 4870 and 5770, I've looked over the logs after long runs in Just Cause 2, Crysis2 and 3, Arkham 'whatever', Dead Space 2 and 3, Battlefield 3, STO and SWTOR, and Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon...at no time did it go above 65%. So them maxing the cards at 47% (or whatever) is not that big of a deal from what I've experienced. Obviously, the R9 290 is a new part and as such, works somewhat differently, so there might be, indeed, a need for it to go to 100% but I can't imagine what, exactly, other than extreme overclocking... *shrugs*

Give AMD some credit. They designed the damn thing, I would think they'd kinda know what they're doing, yes?

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:16 Rigs

I'm too sexy for this thread...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 21:53 Rigs

They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?

Cause they know it's gonna look like ass on a new Xbone and if that gets out, it'll kill what little momentum they have to sell units...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Rambo: The Video Game Trailer
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 21:48 Rigs

This 'game' proves that graphics aren't everything...god, it just looks so...basic. One shot and the guy in front of you explodes into a million gibs. This looks like a sequel to 'Ride To Hell'...oh god... *shudder*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 18:37 Rigs

Jim gets on my nerves at times, which is why I love to watch Yahtzee pwn him thoroughly in every 'Rymedown Spectacular'...Angry Joe is a fucking riot, especially when he reviews the really bad shit, like Ride to Hell and Sonic Free Riders...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Announced
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2013, 18:05 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:30:
Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:08:
So are they going to take us down to Paradise City?
Where the grass is stained red and the girls are subjugated?

That doesn't rhyme...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2013, 15:09 Rigs

Whenever I start a new game, I immediately head for the graphics options and mess with the v-sync and shadow settings. For some reason, shadows always seem to kill the frame rate, across the board. I have found very few games that it didn't affect. Lately I've spent in-ordinate amounts of time in Minecraft (yeah, yeah, I know) and I always turn off v-sync, and AF. Typically I would keep AF to 16x but then I turned it off one day, my fps shot up like 50 and I sat there looking like Keano Reeves. I was under the mistaken impression (for like 10 YEARS!) that AF had little effect on performance. Duh. So now that's something I watch for too. In graphically heavy games like GTA and BF3, shadows, AF, v-sync and AA go OFF or to very LOW settings and then I step them up after playing for a while...

So, basically, I just do the same thing everyone else does and contributed nothing to the conversation...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed
22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2013, 20:15 Rigs

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:41:
Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:34:
ldonyo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 18:32:
One more body added to the pile of EA acquisition closings. How long will it be before BioWare suffers the same fate?

Uh... not really?
EA didn't "acquire" this studio, EA founded this studio. Then they decided it would be good to call this studio "BioWare," even though it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they renamed it because it had nothing to do with BioWare. Then they closed it.

But it certainly does not belong on the list of studios they bought and closed, because they never bought it. You're complaining about something by making giant assumptions that aren't even remotely correct yet could have been easily Googleable (we call this a RollinThundr.) EA does lots of dumb, obnoxious things. Don't mislabel this.

I think it's cute your and nin's need to constantly troll me just to troll me all while whining that people troll, it's like the ultimate pot calling the kettle black. Grow the fuck up beamer, stop acting like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.

Group hug? Grouphug

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 17:02 Rigs

While it's all but impossible to mine bitcoins nowadays with anything but a dedicated 'miner' (as has been mentioned earlier) and it will only get less profitable as time goes on, the new 'thing' is an off-shoot of bitcoins - litecoins. From what I've read, they're like what bitcoins were when it started and, if I understand it correctly, is just a rewind of bitcoin mining back to where it was years ago so it might be profitable again with a PC. I would look into that and forget about bitcoins...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2013, 14:41 Rigs

Wow, so generous, nVidia! Probably about that same percentage of chance that I'll get one if I call up and beg!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 20:00 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 18:30:
What height/resolution is your 22" screen and what width/resolution is your 15" monitor? Do they match?

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor as my desktop's primary display and a 1280x1024 19" monitor for a secondary, rotated 90 degrees to portrait, i.e. 1024x1280. It's only a few pixels higher and very nearly the same physical height as my primary monitor, and is also roughly the size and shape of a standard A4 letter page, as seen in any PDF, which makes it useful for keeping an eye on reference material.

My 22" is a Samsung LCD monitor (SyncMaster 2253BW, 1680x1050) and the 15" screen is from a Compaq Presario C500 laptop (actually I have two of them, one dead the other in pieces, mostly working parts - screen on both is fine). Here's a picture of my monitor model sitting next to a laptop screen of roughly the same size. I would like to either take the laptop screen and make a convertible tablet with all the parts or an extra screen to compliment the 22"...I just don't know how to wire the laptop screen on it's own to work with any kind of video input, such as DVI or HDMI...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2013, 17:14 Rigs

This isn't exactly on-topic but I'm kinda at a standstill so I'll ask anyway...I have a laptop screen from a laptop that no longer works (bad motherboard). I would like to find something useful to do with the screen. It's a 15 inch beauty and it would be a real shame to let it go to waste. I also have another laptop that's in pieces but able to eventually work, so I was thinking maybe I could turn it into something like a 'Poor Man's Tablet' with the running laptop and the screen turned around. I know it's not touch-enabled but at least it could be used with a mouse. It would look like one of those 'convertible' laptops. Or, I could use it as a second, smaller screen for my desktop system, like having a tablet to compliment my 22-inch flatscreen...Just curious what you guys think or if anyone knows any links on how to build something like that...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 18:16 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:58:
Okay, yeah, let's argue semantics then, since your head has been buried in the sand where the facts are concerned, lol. If the 290X is claiming "victory" over the 780 with a 9% increase, what exactly would you call a 34% increase? That's a bona fide generational gap in GPU performance, about the same as the difference between a GTX 780 and a GTX 680... It's really not an opinion to say that AMD is a generation behind, when they had to bring out their next line of products to match the performance of what NVIDIA released last time.

I'd say a 34% increase in performance is...you know what, I already said what I thought in my last post. I don't need to repeat myself. I don't think it's a big deal. I really don't. The 'gaps' you're talking about are nothing compared to the leaps in performances from the old nVidia 8000 and 9000-series and the ATI 'X' and early HD1000-3000 series. Those were crushing defeats and amazing boosts. The difference in the performance between the HD7970 and the TITAN isn't enough for anyone with a card that's less than two years old to go out and grab one, from either side. I have a 7850 and I have absolutely NO interest in a 7790, a TITAN or an R9 290X. Hell, the 'leap' from my old 5770 to the 7850 was rather disappointing. And, I'm sorry, but no matter how you try to spin it, AMD is NOT a year behind nVidia and anyone that thinks they are really does have their head buried...ahem, somewhere...

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:53 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:35:
Rigs, I don't even follow GPU battles anymore, as they've been kind of meaningless for a while, but Anandtech found the Titan to average about 34% faster than the 7970. I'd say that's destruction.

*sigh*...You're not helping, Beamer...

34% is not exactly a knock-out in my book. And certainly not destroying the competition. Did it kick it's ass? Yes. Did it send it crying home to Mommy? No. If it was over 50% then I'd think differently. In any case, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I just felt that AMD and nVidia, on the whole, were pretty much even in performance. nVidia has much better SLI implementation than AMD's Crossfire, for sure. nVidia cards, in my experience, typically run louder than AMD cards of the same level. That's MY personal experience. If the 7970 was beaten to a pulp by the Titan, so be it. I'd just hadn't seen anything saying that in the articles I'd read. And the 290X looked to be a very good step up for AMD. Again, all my opinion. And I certainly don't see how AMD could be a whole YEAR behind in performance. That's just crazy talk!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
52. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:45 Rigs

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 11:10:
16 gigs..... 4 as a memory cache. I'd go at least 8 now for sure, but more like 12 minimum. You want a little extra headroom vs consoles. The nice thing with the Ram is you can have a lot open in the background and everything still runs grand. The days of close everything to play a game are long gone.

And thank God for that. Oops, I want to play Half-Life. Time to stop half of my processes so I can get as much performance as possible. I do not miss that at all.

Reminds me of the old DOS days...'Oh, damn, just not enough to fit DOS, my soundcard, my cd-rom and the mouse all into HIGH memory...hmmm, guess I don't really need sound, right?'

Then, a couple of quiet hours later...

'Fuck it! The cd-rom's goin'!'

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 16:27 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 13:14:
Rigs wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:53:
tl;dr - they aren't ahead but they aren't lagging behind either

How can you say that in response to the simple fact he stated? AMD released the 7970 in January, which beat the GTX 680. One month later, NVIDIA releases Titan and absolutely destroys the 7970, enabling them to command a huge price premium that many people have been paying. 8 months later, AMD releases the 290X (very annoying, by the way, that they're recycling numbers that GeForce used to use, in order to avoid recycling their own numbers), which only barely catches up to the Titan in performance. They price it accordingly, on par with what flagship cards have traditionally sold for when there is actual competition abound, but all NVIDIA has to do is issue price cuts and that advantage instantly dissolves. A 780 at the same price will be the more attractive option when you're considering the heat/noise/power that this 290X sucks down and puts out.

So next year, when NVIDIA releases the 800 series, they will again be waiting a while for AMD to respond. How long is up to them; they can release in the first quarter again, or rest on their laurels a bit because of this lead they have built up. One thing is clear, though... All of this breathing room has allowed them ample time to produce superior designs. They're continuing to push performance increases while also REDUCING relative power consumption and thus heat output. They expect the 800 series "Maxwell" parts to be even more energy efficient than 700 Series "Kepler." That's quite different from AMD, who is forced to sacrifice those things in order to boost performance enough to be competitive. For their sake, I hope Mantle does something great for them, because while they may have just won a battle, they're losing the war. I would hate to see their GPU department fall behind like they have in CPUs, because then the company as a whole would be in serious trouble.

What facts? You both are stating your opinions and assumptions as facts. That whole second paragraph of your quote up there is nothing but pure conjecture on your part. The TITAN destroys a 7970?! Are you on crack? Proof or it didn't happen...and if it didn't happen then your whole argument falls apart. I don't see it from your side, which sounds suspiciously like an nVidia bias. That's fine because I'm an ATI (err, I mean AMD) fanboy, so whatever. But still, the fact is that the 7970 and the TITAN are a lot closer in performance than you make out and the 290X, while apparently annoying the hell out of you, is no slouch either. Your comments smack of extremist 'nVidia will rule the world'-type views while the reality is that everything is very much even. I never claimed that nVidia was a slave to AMD's technical prowess, nor do I have the time to break my 'argument' down into little tasty chunks so you/everyone can understand so put away the pitchfork.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2013, 16:33.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 10:53 Rigs

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 10:41:
AMD may get some big price/PR wins, but the Nvidia has been selling GK110 (780 / Titan) cards for the last 9 months at what must be close to a 100% profit margin. Nvidia is postively crushing AMD in that respect. AMD wishes they could release a card like this at $1000, but they can't because they're getting close to year behind Nvidia in performance. Pricing is all they can do to compete.

Say what? Care to elaborate a little on that? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...AMD seems perfectly able to stand toe-to-toe with nVidia price and performance-wise. The R9 290X isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread but it gets the job done and at a pretty reasonable price point. No, AMD doesn't have anything Crossfire/SLI-related to compete with any discernible difference in performance from anything nVidia has but they certainly aren't a 'year behind'...

tl;dr - they aren't ahead but they aren't lagging behind either

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 10:49 Rigs

NMA: Apple unveils new iPad Air, but does anyone still care about articles that constantly ask if anyone still cares?

Fixed.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Patches
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 09:30 Rigs

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 08:27:
I can't believe they still haven't shipped the plugin API for MC.

Yeah, they're really dragging their feet with it. I guess because they want to make sure that is works with everything and it doesn't break the rest of the game but damn. I mean, if you really look at it, the game itself isn't all that big of a thing. It certainly isn't a very complicated RPG or need to come on 3 DVD's...from my point of view anyway. I don't see why they can't get it done rather quickly. Every update inches it forward ever so slightly and in the meantime we get flowers, stained glass and, uh, horses? I mean, forget the addition mobs and little bits, the mods take care of most of that anyway, same with the biomes. There are 5 different mods that adds biomes and combined, that's like a total of over a hundred different lands. Yet Mojang insists on putting more in the vanilla version. Just get the main features done, guys, and THEN work on that shit!

Really, I just want the plug-in API so this having to download a new version of a mod with every new MC version release will stop. It's such a pain in the ass, and add to that, most mod makers use Adf.ly for their download links, so that's waiting 5 seconds on every download, not including the download itself. Sometimes it's 10 seconds. If it doesn't go through the first time, or you do something wrong or pick the wrong download...another 5 seconds to sit and wait. And I haven't found a Firefox add-on that can successfully bypass Adf.ly without breaking it or them blocking it.

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2013, 07:26 Rigs

Bah! Not that I'm going to be playing COD: Follow That Dog! anyway but I did have 8gigs in my machine a few months ago. I built a new box for my Mom with a nice AMD A6 (yeah, I skimped, shoot me! She plays on FB and reads email, she doesn't need an i7!), my old(-ish) HD5770 (the reason for giving her that was an excuse for me to get an HD7850...I'm such a bastard! Flush ), and again, skimped on the RAM with only 2gigs of DDR3. She was only using win7x32 so I figured it'd be enough. Well, not quite. Things were sluggish and Firefox would typically slow the system down to a crawl with more than 2 tabs open, especially if they had any JAVA or Flash running in them. So, not having any spare cash after having bought GTA5, I sacrificed 2gigs from my system to hers, giving her 4gigs. Windows7x32 only sees 3.5gigs of it, but that's fine. At least it helped her system become nice and smooth and no more complaints of it slowing down while playing Pet Rescue! *gag*

However, while I figured the 2gigs I took out wouldn't really have an effect on my Win7x64 system, I was dead wrong! Everything is slower now. Apps load slower, the system shuts down slower. I think it even boots slower, even though it's on an SSD already. So my next upgrade will definitely be another 6gigs for this system, up to 12gig total. I don't want to dick around and have to go upgrade again in a year because 8 or 10gigs isn't enough. I only have 4 slots, so I have to manage wisely. (FYI, I have an i5/750-2.66ghz (first gen) on a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, in case you were curious)

=-Rigs-=

1597 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo