Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Michael Rigs

Real Name Michael Rigs   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rigs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ATI lackey - Hardcore PC gamer (simRacing, flight-sims, space-sims, strategy/wargames) - PC builder/troubleshooter (25+ years) - Weather fanatic (especially winter storms, blizzards and Nor'Easters)
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 10, 2002, 02:12
Total Comments 1746 (Pro)
User ID 14292

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 23:36 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 22:49:
In your car dealership example, Burrito of Peace, if the dealer doesn't let you take a car for a test drive do you go ahead and take a 2 hour joyride?

Oh, come on now, you know damn well that's not what he meant. I'm not for or against people downloading games to see if they want it. We used to have demos for that and now that we have killer bandwidth (well, most of us have 'suitable' bandwidth, but killer compared to 90's dial-up) we have no demos. That makes no sense to me. Yes, we have Youtube but sometimes the look isn't what we need to know, it's the gameplay and it's sometimes very hard to gather what the gameplay is by watching a video. Kind of like the ol' adage about sim racing not being like the real thing and could never be because you're not actually in a car. Watching a video is not the same as playing the game. For some games, it's fine. Others, it's not. Especially with simulations, it's very hard to gather the fidelity of the physics engine through a video. In fact, it's impossible. I've watched a ton of videos of both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous but I have no idea if I'm gonna actually go for it because I haven't played it the way I play it. I've watched quite a few videos of 'Rise of Flight' and I think it's something I might like, but I'm still not sure...because I haven't played it. If there was a torrent for Elite or SC (that worked), would I download it? Honestly, probably. Would it keep me from buying the game if I liked it? Hell no. I downloaded Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon and bought both after only a couple days play. The gaming industry is part of my life, has been for a long time, so I'm going to support it any way I can. How I go about doing so is my business, but as long as I do it, what does it matter how?

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Synology NAS users hit with Cryptolocker variant. Aug 6, 2014, 11:42 Rigs

I dunno about anyone else, but this Cryptolocker scares the livin' shit outta me! Since you don't know anything is happening until after it's done encrypting all of your shit, there's no easy way to tell if things are going wrong. Is there any malware/AV apps that actually proactively block this thing? I mean, there doesn't seem to be any defense against it if you do encounter it. *knocks on wood* I've been relatively lucky lately in that I haven't hit anything nasty but with all the shit I typically download, it's always in the back of my mind. I have 5terabytes worth of stuff, so it can't be easily backed up to optical or tape media. The only real way is to keep it on a hard drive. I guess maybe I should look into setting up a fail safe drive that isn't connected to the Net or the home network or any other systems and keep things there...What a pain in the ass! Just because some losers like to fuckin' show off their l33t skillz but screwing over everyone else!

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 11:30 Rigs

Well, as cynical as the gaming crowd tends to be (especially all of us lovable bastards here on Blues), at least they're actually doing something...if it was EA, we'd get a 'tough shit, should've done your homework, jackass!' and that would be the end of it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 13:32 Rigs

I'm probably gonna get some rage of my own for saying this but I don't see the problem with putting up a video on YT of something you've accomplished using a mod or a part of a mod or doing something different with A MOD. It's a mod. It's not copyrighted. Yeah, sure, credit is nice but it's not a right. This whole thing with creators of mods getting pissed because their stuff is included in another mod or re-imagined in a different way without permission is childish. Permission for what? To stoke your ego? Like the Minecraft mod scene, where it's a cardinal sin to include a mod in a 'modpack' without the original mod authors permission. God forbid. Or put a texture pack from someone up for download on another site. BURN THE USURPER! You'd think that any kind of promotion would be good. But no, it has to be done on the good word of the creator. Now, bear in mind, I'm not saying stealing others work and showing it off as your own is ok, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if the guy is doing something that's a derivative of another mod and wants to show it off, after he's put his own work into getting it just right, then what's the problem?

'He's misrepresenting what the mod includes or does.'

I think anyone that uses mods in games knows it's never 'just that simple' and that it requires some other work to be done to get it working or may require other mods to get the full effect. This kind of self-promotion is done everyday in the commercial industry and is standard practice yet when it's done in gaming, it's a horrible faux pas? C'mon, get a hold of yourself...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:29 Rigs

Have they said anything about the whole 'landing on planets' thing? As an 'X' fanboy, I've always wanted this, but it's never been in the cards, even with Rebirth, though they got closer. I know Elite 2 and 3 had landing on planets (I still play them occasionally with the DX3D mod so my eyes don't implode) and I'd heard early on that this was going to be something considered for E:D but implemented later on. Have they given any kind of idea or timeframe?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 04:13 Rigs

God, I just wish I had some sort of time machine...not even to physically go into the future, just something like the 'Sphere Builders' from Enterprise, who can communicate with the future (or past) timeline but can't actually go there. I just want to see like a year from today and see where it stands...and then jump ahead five years and see what happens...DAMN THIS MORTAL BODY!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > MS Flight Simulator X for Steam This Year; "New Concepts" Coming
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2014, 20:23 Rigs

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jul 9, 2014, 20:06:
See? Microsoft does care about PC gaming! Look how they are releasing an eight-year old game back onto the market! That's dedication!

If we are really lucky, they may even re-release Ski-Free.

I take offense to that. FSX isn't some laughing stock. The mod and payware expansion scene on FSX would leave you speechless! You think the Train Simulator 2014 DLC is unnerving? FSX has more than 20,000 payware and freeware 'AAA'-quality addons available, and more still coming every year. FSX is far from dead. It's looking a little rough in spots, but the addons have a lot of that covered too. Realistic weather, air and ground traffic, virtual flights and air cargo hauling...you name it, you can find it!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2014, 12:49 Rigs

I've tried so many times to get into this and...can't. I dunno what it is but I just can't concentrate on it. The fact that it looks like utter shit doesn't bother me as much. I'm pretty sick of Minecraft's blocks-everything too (which is why the new 'No blocks/cubes' mod is such a God-send there) but this just...it's just too much. My mind is screaming at me, 'It's Two Thousand FUCKING Fourteen! C'mon!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2014, 21:32 Rigs

I understand the disappointment in the possibility of it not coming to PC but nothing has been announced that says it definitely won't. Just not at first. Still, I can't understand the mentality that these things can't exist in the same world at the same time. Once it was known that it wasn't coming to PC right away, all of a sudden the comments on how it's not as good as Elite start. Why does it have to be a competition? Elite has it's strengths as does NMS and SC. They can exist concurrently without having to battle for hierarchy. In all honestly, it really sounds that it's more of a 'defense mechanism' for some of you when you find out that it's not going to be on your preferred platform. Do I wish NMS was coming to PC? You bet your ass I do! But I'm not going to put the PS4 down and call NMS shit because it's not on my preferred gaming device...This is the rebirth (ugh...no pun intended) of the space-sim genre - BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! Hope it sells gangbusters! Hell, buy it even if you don't have a PS4 to show you support space-sims!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
17. RE: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 00:33 Rigs

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 20:15:
bigspender wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 20:12:
Who would win in a fight, Derek Smart or Phil Fish?
Neither. The ego's of each would become so large they'd crush each other and endanger the whole world.

Ugh...about had enough of DS for one year...that's all I talked about yesterday...who the fuck is Phil Fish and why should I care?

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Extended One Week
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2014, 00:27 Rigs

'It is with excitement that we announce the Battlefield Hardline beta will continue for an additional week, ending on Thursday, June 26th at 12:00PM PST.'

Translation: 'Please play our game! Please, please, please! I have a family and mortgage to support, not to mention the BMW I got when everyone bought the last version of Battlefield 3 - Battlefield 4. We promise we'll try harder this time! Really, really promise! Pinky swear! Scouts honor! Just buy it! I don't care what you do with it after that but please buy it!...Please!'

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - NA Tropico 5 Discs
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2014, 00:21 Rigs

ViRGE wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 00:13:
Rigs wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 22:32:
Ok, call me an idiot (shut up!), but I don't get this whole 'on-disc DLC' being available in a few weeks...it's already on the disc! How can it not be available? What the hell is on the disc then?!

The DLC is a bonus for buying the more expensive boxed edition rather than the digital edition. Gamestop and BB tend to freak these days if there's not something special about the boxed editions of games to make customers want to come to them instead of downloading it.

I know all that, I'm wondering why it's not available right away? I mean, it's on the disc already, why would the customer have to wait until some arbitrary time to use something that is already included in the product, just not 'available'? That's just totally stupid. I realize this was a thing with Capcom titles too and I just don't see the logic behind it, why consumers would actually find that appealing and a buying point...

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. RE. etc... Jun 17, 2014, 22:46 Rigs

Bidding looks pretty fake actually, I don't think this was in good confidence...

http://www.gamegavel.com/bid_history.cgi?show_history=0000958029

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 17, 2014, 22:39 Rigs

3. The rule promotes strong stadium attendance and benefits local restaurants, sports bars, and other small businesses near the stadiums.

Clarification: ROTFMAO.

Uh, you forgot an 'L' in there, buddy... LMAO!!!11!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - NA Tropico 5 Discs
1. RE: Ships Ahoy - NA Tropico 5 Discs Jun 17, 2014, 22:32 Rigs

Ok, call me an idiot (shut up!), but I don't get this whole 'on-disc DLC' being available in a few weeks...it's already on the disc! How can it not be available? What the hell is on the disc then?!

=-Rigs-=

News Comments > Line Of Defense $99 Early Access
68. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2014, 20:30 Rigs

You know, I can see both sides to this and the way I see it is this...he should just ignore it, all of it. Do his thing, make the best game he can (which, truthfully, is more than most of us here can do) and be happy with that. Most vets here grow tired of the constant back and forth punch/counter-punch, at least after the first couple anyway ...the naysayers will always be there, much like school bullies, you just have to learn to ignore them. Eventually, even if it takes decades, it will become just another legend in PC history, much like the original BC3000AD. He can't change the past, none of us can. What's been done has been done. But he can change how he reacts to it's mentioning or projection on current projects. If he took the high road and said something like, 'Cmon, man, that's old news and over with.' People would grow sick of hearing it every time. It's a funny laugh to bring up in every thread but that's all it is or should be and eventually, God willing, will be forgotten...

EDIT: And seriously, after viewing the mess over at PC Gamer and then the STEAM forums of the side app for this game, 'Tactics', it seems like the overall sentiment is this: 'If the dev would've kept his mouth shut and not acted like a 4 year old, I would have put money down'. Just leave it alone, Derek! You're your own worst enemy here now. Just shut your mouth, do your dev thing and let the game stand on it's own merits. Stop trying to micromanage the PR, it's not your strong suit, obviously...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2014, 21:02.

50. Re: Line Of Defense $99 Early Access Jun 17, 2014, 08:12 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 01:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:56:
Queue Cutter comment in 3..2..1...

Why? I could care less about "Doctor" Smart. People want to give him money that's their damage. Although the flamewars with him/about him on Usenet back in the Wild West days were legendary and mightily entertaining.

Them were some EPIC days, let me tell you! Holy hot damn, did I get endless satisfaction from reading hours worth of pissing contests and almost investigative documentary level peaks into his supposed credentials and references (or lack there of, as it were)...every week/month was something different. And then the SA Goons got involved and the shit hit the fan...good times...good times...

I'm still waiting for my pre-order refund for Desktop Commander, that shit looked HOT! Surprised EA or Ubisoft have never tried to pickup on the revolutionary concept...

Obligatory Desktop Commander link, at least one in every DS thread!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2014, 08:33.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2014, 20:58 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 20:52:
I don't think he needs to be worrying about how much it cost to run his servers. I mean honestly, how much does it cost for the 10 people to play this game?

~ZING!

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2014, 18:47 Rigs

I propose that anyone that is the third one to say his name gets instabanned for two weeks to sit in the corner and think about what they've done!

I have no doubt whatsoever that he lurks in these halls and watches. He's admitted on several occasions that he Google's his name on a daily basis to see anything new. He's here, make no mistake...

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: Line Of Defense $99 Early Access Jun 16, 2014, 17:52 Rigs

I can't find the emoticon that rolls around laughing for 20 mins and then shits himself...so this will have to do...

Rotfl

=-Rigs-=

1746 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo