Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for FourPak

Real Name FourPak   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname FourPak
Email four_pak@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description MMOGS are my LIFE!
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 8, 2002, 16:45
Total Comments 2488 (Senior)
User ID 14270

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2009, 21:10 FourPak

"but it was impossible to find anyone there capable of reading their own name tag"

Depending on region, Wal-Mart associates make around $10 - $12 / hour, which is no longer a living wage for adults in the US. Most have 2nd jobs just to pay the rent, many are not high school grads, many are over 50.

The same is true for Home Depot, Target, and the other major retailers. Add to this the rip-off health benefits scheme at Wal-Mart and it's no wonder only the most desperate and least qualified are working at these places.

I used to feel disdain for these people, blaming them for being just lazy stupid slackers. Until I got a little first hand experience with the situation. Now I feel sorry for them, most are trapped in these kinds of positions with no real way out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 6, 2008, 18:26 FourPak

It costs roughly $3-5 to design, code, stock and market a $60 game.
The markup is pure profit (aka rip-off).

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Game Careers
15. Re: Gabe Newell on Game Careers Nov 10, 2008, 23:47 FourPak

These days experience doesn't count for shit. I have over 13 and can't get a job these days,
Aye, I agree completely, expertise in coding, design, debugging, documenting, etc. counts for squat. 15 years exp including a few as senior programmer with major developer/publishers on 5-star AAA games, my observation is getting hired is 99% pure luck + 1% Who you know. Or maybe vice-versa. It sure isn't based on resumes or portfolios or demos of work you've done.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: WoW Whore Has 36 Accounts Oct 12, 2008, 21:40 FourPak

Oh yeah he should spend all his leisure time watching sports and getting drunk in strip clubs cuz that's socially acceptable and 'normal'.
Phuk that. Raid on brutha.

Don't let anyone shame you into thinking that playing computer games is a waste of time. Because whatever they're doing to pass the time is no better – and it certainly isn't going to make them any less dead in the end.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. NOAA this Aug 2, 2008, 11:51 FourPak

phuk NOAA, Beijing will be more than happy to sponsor your entry and bypass all the HomeLand Security "oh my god you're taking high altitude photos of the heartland!" hysteria.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Orphan Works Bill Jul 6, 2008, 12:04 FourPak

hmmm, the opposition to this sounds fishy... something in their logic and examples isn't right...

News Comments > Metaverse
2. crazy web scams Jul 6, 2008, 11:39 FourPak

the Gizmondo formula, more common than you might think. Mmogs are currently a favorite scam-bait.

News Comments > C&C3 Support Apology
21. Re: Long overdue? Jul 6, 2008, 10:39 FourPak

What's long overdue is some kind of standard industry-wide approach for supporting legacy code in general, not just recent releases.

Personally at this point in my career I'd -prefer- to work on existing Stable code instead of beating my brains out in yet another round of desperate crunchtime madness trying to get new code working at all.

Hire me!

News Comments > Mobilization
1. Condi's custom DS Jul 4, 2008, 17:57 FourPak

does it come with a swastika? oh.

News Comments > Consolidation
6. Re: Led Zeppelin Jul 4, 2008, 17:52 FourPak

funny how even radical '60's hippies and rockers fall prey to the generation gap.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 17:53.

News Comments > Metaverse
4. Re: ... Jun 15, 2008, 14:22 FourPak

Those godless commies put up a Daddy's Day logo today! The heartless fiends! 4/20 and Guy Fawkes Day definitely deserve special treatment.

Look for all this screaming to escalate when 'Bama and the Left sweep the elections in a few more months.

News Comments > Grimm Trailer
12. Spicy Horse Jun 15, 2008, 13:27 FourPak

from http://www.spicyhorse.com/about-us.html
"Spicy's mission is to build eccentric game content for the PC and console market." In Shanghai.

In the View Gallery, is that an old WWII air raid shelter they're working from or what? Looks like 40 watt bulbs stuck to the ceiling and disguised as 'track lighting'. Whew, grim indeed.
This comment was edited on Jun 15, 13:29.

News Comments > Morning Q&A
2. Re: ugg Jan 21, 2008, 20:25 FourPak

yeah i remember the stealth hijack-your-system wild tangent crapware disguised as a game. it was the only time in 20 some years of computing and gaming that my system was fubar.

F.U. wild tangent.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Intel abandons charity Jan 5, 2008, 11:24 FourPak

Corporate Greed: 1
Kids: 0

Hell yes, f**k those 3rd world mudrats, they don't contribute to Intels profits. Now maybe if they were willing to work in a dangerous wafer fab plant for $1/day, Intel would reconsider.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: Dr. Phil Dec 9, 2007, 22:58 FourPak

You just said, ‘live’ in a house,” Dr. Phil notes. “You’re not really in the house! You’re sitting in a chair in your house.”
Kind of like when you watch the Dr. Phil show. But of course that's different.

And she's 13??? woo. yeah definately she should drop the game, troll the malls and get knocked up like normal 13 year ol girls do in Real Life. good move mom.
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 23:06.

News Comments > Randy Pitchford on Unreal Engine & MoH
23. Re: No subject Nov 29, 2007, 22:45 FourPak

Randy's right. The gaming industry is the bottom barrel for coders anyway.

Obviously someone who's never actually worked at a game company.

Even more obviously, someone who's never written code and knows nothing of programming.

Game code is orders of magnitude more complex, sophisticated, and elegant than the simplistic boilerplate churned out at GM or Microsoft or Boeing.

Programmers at said companies couldn't pass an entry level code test at most dev studios.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Hudson layoffs Nov 29, 2007, 21:43 FourPak

Mobile games aren't the big bonanza everyone predicted they'd be.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2007, 14:05 FourPak

ftw!
very unique innovative game, if you can tolerate the text "graphics", glacial pace, and convoluted interface.
If the game ever gets finished, they need to hire someone to sprite-ize the graphics and make a graphical interface.

News Comments > EA Gets More Ubi
15. Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 8, 2007, 20:30 FourPak

and microsoft vista doesn't have any bugs either, all the problems being reported are just people who can't configure their computer properly!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Toning it down Aug 4, 2007, 18:44 FourPak

The event ... looks to be more like a country club getaway, an invitation-only gathering ...
To put it more diplomatically, "It's about the quality of connection for Leaders of the Industry," says Michael Gallagher, a former telecommunications policy adviser under the President George W. Bush administration who now heads up the Entertainment Software Association, the trade group that puts together the show.
Ahhh, I see, now it becomes clear. It's like the Bilderberg Group. Is German now the official language of E3?

2488 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo