Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SpectralMeat

Real Name SpectralMeat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SpectralMeat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 4, 2002, 23:39
Total Comments 4840 (Master)
User ID 14225

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
129. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 09:27 SpectralMeat

Did you switch fire group before trying to deploy it? Maybe in the sidewinder you've had it all assigned to fire group 1 so everything deploys at ones?  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
7. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:18 SpectralMeat

Well if nothing else comes out of this, at least the game gained a lot of popularity by the press because of all this non sense  

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
2. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:10 SpectralMeat

Nice!  

126. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 09:03 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 08:57:
Oh crap. Why doesnt it deploy then...It deployed fine in the Sidewinder. (And yes I set it to fire group 2) This basic stuff shouldnt be so complicated damnit!
Not sure, maybe I was wrong and that scanner is not the same as the one on the Sidewinder.
Sorry I'd check it what I have on the Adder but I am at work.
I am pretty sure it said basic scanner though not Dscanner

124. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:55 SpectralMeat

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 08:51:
One problem I've had last night is in a system with lots of human players I was being intercepted and after I managed to escape the intersection attempt my frame rate in super cruise dropped to single digits.
I am pretty sure it was a server issue because ones I've reached the station the frame rate returned to normal but then I got dropped from the server.
I was able to log back in immediately and continue where I left off and no frame rate issues anymore.

Yeah, there was one server drop last night around 8:30 PM EST'ish, but it was quick. I had just docked and got dropped out to the main menu, but for a first day release, the server did a very good job.

When being Interdicted the screen definitely goes crazy (hard to keep pointed at Exit Vector sometimes), I'm not sure if my FPS drops or not but it does seem to recover after I escape.

The other action I need to practice on is coming out of Super-Cruise, I am always dropping out to early, then need to wait while frame cools down. Need to learn what speed is correct and what distance to drop out.

What is your CMDR handle?
I think that was the same server drop I was talking about than. It was around that time.
My CMDR name is SpectralMeat feel free to add me.

122. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:37 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 08:34:
Thanks for the help Spectral, hmmm no wonder the Anarchy system I visited was empty, guess I have to go back to the station where I left my Sidewinder to get the D-scanner. I assume I will be able to switch it out and install it in the Eagle?
The Eagle should have it too. But you can buy one from the market too, they are dirt cheap, or should be.
I actually sold my Eagle and went with the Adder and it had a basic scanner on it by default.
I was flying around last night to find a Kill warrant scanner or whatever it's called but the cheapest I could find was the same price as a Cobra the more expensive one was over 1 mill

120. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:24 SpectralMeat

One other tip.
If you are killing pirates at unidentified signal spots or at nav points make sure to dock and collect the bounty you've earned before you leave the system.
You can not collect the bounty in other systems.
Found that out the hard way last night.
Ones you leave the system all your nav panel will say is claim bounty in federation but not the actual system name where you have to collect the money in.
I thought I could dock at every federation station to collect it but nope.
It has to be the system I was killing the pirates in.

119. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:18 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 06:53:
Ok some impressions from last night, also some questions:

Got the eagle, did a couple of simple drop off missions. Easy money. Then I decided to take on a pirate hunting mission. It sent me into a neighbouring anarchy system, with 0 planets, a large star and two small binary stars orbiting it. There is literaly nothing in the system. Flew around for a while, found a number of unidentified signal sources, all of which turned out to be some regular trader types, 'clean'. No sign of pirates. After a while a "system security vessel" shows up. So I say fuck it, Ive been flying for half an hour. Lets kick some ass! I open fire and we start to furball. Fast forward 45 minutes later!!! Yeah the fight took 45 minutes! The guy hardly scratched me, but the pew, pew with the basic pulse lasers on the eagle seems to be very very weak. So a couple of questions for you beta leet players:

1. Is the mission bugged? Why are there no pirates in a system which is supposed to be swarming with them. (Anarchy system)

2. How do I recognize which combat mission to take, and which is suitable to my level of weapons and equipment. Some missions pay 150k and Ive seen some that I can take that pay 300k! What gives?

3. What do you recommend I should upgrade first? My ship? My weapons? The powerplant? And how should I go about earning some cash for that. Should I trade first? Ive already figured out that I can fight quite well but my weapons are so pittifuly weak that it takes ages for the target to drop shields and then ages to finish them off.

Ones again when you go into a system with only one star you have to run your scanner and it will find all the planets and stations in the system. Than check your navigation panel it will list a bunch of undiscovered items. Lock on one fly towards it and it will become discovered. Discover the whole system and then you can sell the map data 20Ly away.

Do not take on missions with huge payouts because you actually have to track down those criminals and kill them but 100,000-300,000 bounty missions are usually give you wanted status as well as those pirates are flying anacondas with a group of cobras to protect them. Those are not easy missions

Try to do the 10,000 credit missions first, those are easy money.
Another easy way to make money is to fly to the nav point right next to the sun and just wait for pirate ships to appear. They are ranging from 4-5,000 credit all the way up to the 100,000 credits.
Just scan ships until you find someone wanted.
If you are doing this in anarchy system there is no police. In other systems police will be flying around and may steal your kill, or fly around as you dog fight and you can accidently shoot them and you get a bounty on your head.

Last night I was blasting away pirates and all of the sudden the police ships became red on my radar. I didn't care I did not have wanted status so I was doing my thing and all of the sudden the police started shooting me for some reason.
I took off went to a station filled up my ammo, went back and everything was fine again.
Not sure why that happened. Maybe I bumped into a police ship as I was flying around or something.

117. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 08:01 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 06:56:
Another question, should I maybe sell the free eagle I got, and upgrade my sidewinder with the proceeds? Is that viable? (Or stupid?)

Also what is the D-scanner used for and why does my Sidewinder have it but the Eagle only has something called a basic scanner? (and it wont deploy)

Sorry for the spam, but Im intrigued by this game and the Elite Dangerous forums are a bit of a mess truthfully.
You can absolutely sell your Eagle if you wanted to to pay towards your upgrades or a new ship. I'd advise to get out of the Sidewinder as soon as you can. Look at the Adder, a great little ship not so expensive and can have twice the cargo space a sidewinder if you upgrade it.
It also have 2 small and 1 medium weapon slots. I have all 3 slots equipped with chainguns and I am moving down pirates like nothing. I was killing Cobras and Vipers, Federal Dropships last night. Made about 100,000 credit in an hour in bounty kills.

The deep scanners are used for discovering new planets and stuff in systems you have never been to. You have to assign it to a firegroup and deply it when you are in super cruise. You have to hold the trigger on your joystick or mouse to let the scan complete and you will discover all the planets in a system. Than you lock on the discovered planet and point your ship towards it and as you fly closer it will become discovered.
Ones you discover everything in a system you can sell the map data on the market for some pretty good cash but you have to go 20 Ly away from the discovered system in order to sell the data on the market.
When you are docked look at star port services and the bottom of the menu cartographic something. Click on that and you can see there you can sell your map data.

116. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 17, 2014, 07:53 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 07:36:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 07:30:
The only wonky thing I've seen is docking, sometimes it's very easy, then sometimes I have to try 3-4 times before the station accepts me being in the right spot and sometimes you even get some landing help on the radar, but not always.

Ok Ive found a quick workaround for stations that refuse your docking requests. Simply log out and then log in SOLO mode again. That worked for me when I couldnt dock to a station to complete a courier mission.
That is strange. I haven't had any issues with docking yet.
One problem I've had last night is in a system with lots of human players I was being intercepted and after I managed to escape the intersection attempt my frame rate in super cruise dropped to single digits.
I am pretty sure it was a server issue because ones I've reached the station the frame rate returned to normal but then I got dropped from the server.
I was able to log back in immediately and continue where I left off and no frame rate issues anymore.
Other than that the game has been rock solid so far, and absolutely loving it.
Getting up an hour earlier in the morning to play before work lol
I am addicted! Send help!

71. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:05 SpectralMeat

Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:47:
5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.
Thanks I actually didn't know this.
So many times I've entered the station and spun around like an idiot looking for my docking platform.
This will help

67. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:20 SpectralMeat

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:15:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 14:04:
Thank you!
Just grabbed an Adder last night put a multigun on it and I did some trade runs but didn't have time to do anything else yet.
I will find an Anarchy system near by tonight and do what you said.
Is the kws very important/useful? I am not quiet sure how it works. Does it give you last points of location of your target or you scan the whole system and it gives you exact location?

Thanks again for the info

Yeah the KWS is really important in anarchy systems - nothing will show as wanted in the system. You scan the KWS then check them on the contacts page and it shows how much they are worth in civilized space - they will still display as "Clean" in you're lower left.

You can shoot whomever you want in an anarchy system - no police and you won't get fined or a wanted status. The rest of their faction will turn red towards you but won't actually attack and will forget about you once you leave the system.

Basic benefits of anarchy seem to be no loss of rep with any faction (that I've ever noticed), no kill stealing police, majority of contacts are worth money once you KWS them.

Disadvantages are you don't seem to gain rep with any faction either and you gain bounties to pick up in federation, empire and alliance space so end up flying around a bit to get them. I tend to stick to borders with 2 of the factions and fly to the 3rd when I have a big enough chunk to collect.
Sweet! Thanks for the info.
Definietly going to get a KWS tonight than

Gaining rep with factions is a pain. Takes a lot of missions, and the beginner missions pay next to nothing.

57. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 14:29 SpectralMeat

No problem
Here are all the training videos if you did not want to do the tutorials in game

54. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 14:04 SpectralMeat

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:22:
Thanks man. I am far from having that much money

I started bounty hunting sunday morning with a stock adder with an added multigun and kws. Just hang around the nav point in an anarchy system and pick your targets, sometimes you get lucky and find mostly harmless asps worth 40k (they have no shield and can't shoot for toffee).
Thank you!
Just grabbed an Adder last night put a multigun on it and I did some trade runs but didn't have time to do anything else yet.
I will find an Anarchy system near by tonight and do what you said.
Is the kws very important/useful? I am not quiet sure how it works. Does it give you last points of location of your target or you scan the whole system and it gives you exact location?

Thanks again for the info

48. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:38 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:34:
Ok really stupid question. But how do I dock? I finally found the station where my Eagle is docked and am at a loss as to how to dock without provoking a lethal response. How do I get docking permission?
In the left side menu under contacts select the station and ask for docking permission. Sorry not sure what that menu called because I just look at it and it pops up.
Also I would advise you to do some of the basic tutorials before jump into the game to avoid some frustration.
The station will give you the permission if you are within range (under 7km) and give you the number of the platform where they want you to land. Ones inside the station look for the number and land.
See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAoY7kw2NM

43. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:52 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:43:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:33:
letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

I struggle with this problem every night before bed.
Don't we all?

37. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:22 SpectralMeat

Thanks man. I am far from having that much money  

34. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:58 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:57:
Ill have to fiddle around options a bit more and bind the menu keys to a hat there I guess.

Downloading as we speak.
Yep give it a little time. It took me a few hours of gameplay to get used to where everything is. If something doesn't feel right just re map it.

31. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:52 SpectralMeat

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 11:48:
I just took out my first anaconda. Master rated guy but only worth 57k. Felt so good in my little viper!
What modules/guns do you have on your Viper?

26. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:21 SpectralMeat

There was that voice command software too that people in the beta were using.  

4840 Comments. 242 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo