Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SpectralMeat

Real Name SpectralMeat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SpectralMeat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Sep 4, 2002, 23:39
Total Comments 5435 (Guru)
User ID 14225

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
57. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 22:58 SpectralMeat

Fair enough
Let's hope Valve will actually finish some of these projects in our life time.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 22:23 SpectralMeat

Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 22:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 21:36:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 21:05:
lol... by available I don't just mean available but I mean something else. Gosh that should be obvious.
Right, never mind reading the thread. The last few posts are good enough

Oh I've read it.
than I don't get your comments
I was well aware of the beta being available since 2013 Dec I even said on the previous page that I did not see any huge leap forward in the beta since it's release.

Anyways!
Hopefully Valve can pull it off.

52. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 21:36 SpectralMeat

Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 21:05:
lol... by available I don't just mean available but I mean something else. Gosh that should be obvious.
Right, never mind reading the thread. The last few posts are good enough

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
860. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 4, 2015, 21:33 SpectralMeat

By the way I like the Asp http://youtu.be/pPq7pnbIv-Y

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2015, 07:59.

50. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 20:58 SpectralMeat

Krovven wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 19:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Dude SteamOS is out like Star Citizen is out, wtf are you talking about?
Are you drunk?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ Just read what it says there

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download

Yes. It's available to download for anyone that can do a google search.

Right right available to download the beta version.
By available I meant it is finished. Thought it was obvious but it seems like it wasn't for everyone.

858. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 4, 2015, 20:55 SpectralMeat

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 20:49:
Is trading still fucked? Not that you guys will be of any use. You have a 4pm bedtime.
Not sure I am doing the rare trade run. Didn't get to sell anything yet

46. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:40 SpectralMeat

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 18:31:
Are you drunk?

Yeah choice is good like we have Linux and MacOS and all that great stuff and guess what people use for gaming?
Wonder why. Get a clue
All I am saying is unless SteamOS offers something that is better for users than what we already have noone will use it just like about 5 people uses Linux for gaming

Yeah but Linux is on how many cellphones? Your talking about desktops. More people play cellphone games on Linux than Windows. You need to get a clue.
Cell phones?
Who the fuck cares about cell phones man. I am talking about gaming on the PC here

44. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:31 SpectralMeat

Are you drunk?

Yeah choice is good like we have Linux and MacOS and all that great stuff and guess what people use for gaming?
Wonder why?
All I am saying is unless SteamOS offers something that is better for users than what we already have noone will use it. Kind of like right now about 5 people uses Linux for gaming according to steam h/s survey.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 18:38.

41. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:15 SpectralMeat

DukeFNukem wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 17:17:
SteamOS has already been delivered...are you fully aware of your surroundings? How many fingers am I holding up?

SteamOS is out eh?
That was a good one.

40. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 18:14 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 16:16:
SteamOS still doesn't let you play your Origin games or the non Steam games so it is kind of locked in that regards.

It's more accurate to say that is a Linux problem and there is nothing stopping users from running Origin & games through Wine for example if they want. SteamOS is not locked like a console platform, you can do whatever you want with it. It might not meet your expectations based on your previous platform but the ability is there. That is entirely different than consoles.

I agree though that many gamers just want the platform that runs the most games and that SteamOS needs a "hook"
But you say it yourself, in order to run Origin you need to run Wine or some other Linux platform.
Well that is exactly my point. SteamOS is not capable to run anything but Steam stuff.
If you have to run something else in order to play your other games than might as well just run Windows that does everything already.

It's not about my expectations it's just that I don't see the justification in running SteamOS when Windows does everything without limitations and does it better.

34. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 16:16 SpectralMeat

SteamOS still doesn't let you play your Origin games or the non Steam games so it is kind of locked in that regards.
So why bother with it than if a Windows based box can do everything you want and does it better.
SteamOS needs a hook to make people switch to it. So far there isn't much.

853. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 4, 2015, 14:03 SpectralMeat

So going back to rare trades was a good decision I guess for stable income.
Ones I have the Asp armed I can stop by some of those nav points or USS and get some kills in too to break the boredom

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 14:29.

26. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 13:23 SpectralMeat

I wonder what will be a complete released product from those things they are working on.
By the time Steam OS is ready for prime time we will be using Windows 18 and Steam boxes will be on the shelf with Onlive and the phantom console.

It almost feels like they bring up these ideas to see if there is any interest. If there is, they start up the project with some minimal effort then they throw it out to people "here you finish it"
I don't know how much progress SteamOS made since it's beta release 2013 Dec.
Were there any significant updates or features added to it since then?

11. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:35 SpectralMeat

Valve seems to be getting into all kinds of things and not finish anything before jump on the other.
-Steam controller
-Steam OS
-Steam graphics API
-Steam VR
Lots of potential "game changer" and huge plans but everything seem to get abandoned after a few months when the hype settles.
I am waiting for Valve to announce the next big thing in mobile gaming a Valve tablet or something. Than a few months later they will just forget about it and announce the ground breaking new tech in sound technology for pc gamers.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 10:44.

News Comments > CERES Announced
1. Re: CERES Announced Feb 4, 2015, 10:10 SpectralMeat

Looks like the Bollywood version of Homeworld  

851. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 4, 2015, 09:06 SpectralMeat

I did log into the beta but just like Vall ones I've seen I am starting wit ha new character I just logged out.
I can wait until next week when the update will go live.
From what I've seen the planets will look pretty awesome with the city lights and stuff.
Hopefully the market crash last night was just a hiccup on the server end and not how the market will function from now on.

849. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 4, 2015, 05:56 SpectralMeat

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 23:12:
I don't know if you have enough money atm, but I'm shipping palladium and imp. slaves....which are the two most expensive commodities, so I understand if you can't trade them.

I think resonating separators are a good middle ground. They cost $5k (instead of $10k or $12k) and you can make pretty much the same profit (ie that $0.9 to $1.2k per ton)
Yes exactly what I was trading.
The only issue is the station that was supposed to have lots of supply of Palladium has none. So I went to the other station to grab the slaves and sell them at the station where I was supposed to buy the Palladium but that station has no demand for the slaves.
According to the website I was supposed to be making ~2,000 - 3,000 profit per ton and I was making like 30k for the 100ton cargo.
Not to mention the station that was supposed to have high supply of Palladium had 30 units. Tried it an hour later and the station was empty.

From where I was previously I've had to travel over 250Ly to here to do this trade run so I was a bit pissy about it.
Thankfully this place was only 40Ly away from one of the stops in the 11 stop rare run so I am in my Asp loading up on rare goodies.
I've managed to slap a C FSD on it and some cargo expanders. I have about 85 tons of cargo space at the moment.
I still have about 1 mill left to buy the goods but I will upgrade the ship as I go.
Insurance costs 250k to replace this thing so I have to keep an eye on my wallet.
I only have the default 2 tiny weapons on that the ship came with so no combat for me yet until I have some cash to buy equipment.
The Asp does sound like a WW2 plane lol

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2015, 06:08.

843. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 22:20 SpectralMeat

Alright grabbed the Asp. Upgraded it a bit and I am back in the rare trade run.
At least this is profitable.

842. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 21:19 SpectralMeat

First I have t find a good trade route.
The one I was doing got kind of dry.
Trying to use that Thrudds trade tool but I am not getting nearly the profits that tool is reporting.
Making 30k on a 100ton cargo feels like a waste of time.
I might have to get back into the rare trade run. Although I might grab an Asp to have a little fun while doing the trade run

839. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 3, 2015, 18:50 SpectralMeat

I will look into a T7 upgrade than.
Ugh I hate transport ships. Big dumb flying turds. No fun.

17mill for the ship, shit I'll be grinding for that for like a month straight

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2015, 19:11.

5435 Comments. 272 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo