Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for quazz

Real Name quazz   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 3, 2002, 00:12
Total Comments 421 (Amateur)
User ID 14170

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod
104. Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 20:30 quazz

I truly don't understand how some can still say that the game really isn't all that scary, or even tense. You must have been masturbating to Hellraiser when you were four or something...
It's scary now, it won't be anymore when they play the same trick on you for the next 5 hours.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod
91. Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 17:10 quazz

not only would it be unscary, but the framerates would drop to zero, the game/textures are pretty, imagine with the lights on that the engine would seem so-so trying to render all the textures at once...id gets to cheat in that respect by allowing just a fraction to be rendered when the flashlight is on.
Everything is rendered even if you can't see them. You're standing in a 7m x 7m room with two monsters at best, it's not like there's much to render.

I've just seen the title of my post is "Re: How's the physics???". Didn't see that post, but I'll answer anyway. They suck.
Physics in DOOM3 are cheap ragdoll (think 3-4 years old effect) and you can push stuff around (again, think 3 years old effects). They're also off in MP.

News Comments > Carmack on DOOM 3 & Q3A OpenSource
125. Re: Gamespot Review Aug 6, 2004, 02:22 quazz

It "stole Doom 3's technological thunder" by including the same technology months before. Thus removing a large part of DOOM3's wow factor. DOOM3 may come in a more polished package (some could say that it's way easier to polish the levels when you only have one that you copy&paste, but that would just be mean), but it's nothing new technologically.

News Comments > DOOM 3 on Win98/ME
45. Re: Something's wrong... Aug 6, 2004, 00:39 quazz

Without the actual XBOX, then yes.

By the way, you don't actually want a simple gaming OS. You want a simple gaming OS with a text editor, web browser, music and media player, trow in a firewall/antivirus, and add the other 100 features that you'll bitch you need to reboot to your real mainstream OS to use. Really, what would be the point? Saving 50MB of RAM maybe? Not fucking worth it.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 00:39.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 2004 Patch
39. Re: what got fixed? Aug 5, 2004, 23:38 quazz

The reason I ask is, ONS could have AND should have been a FREE MOD for UT2K3 therefore making UT2K4 a totally unnessesary product especially for those that did buy UT2K3 and were told that vehicles WOULD be in that product at some later point but EPIC never delivered and thier marketing cleverly positioned the vehicles for a new release of the same basic game.
I've never read anywhere that Epic said UT2k3 would've vehicles in the game. They said the game had vehicle code/support (wich was proved by a samle vehicle map povided in the game). UT2k3 was all it was supposed to be. There's more content in ONS/AS then most game bother to provide and you want it for free? Please.

News Comments > DOOM 3 on Win98/ME
38. Re: Something's wrong... Aug 5, 2004, 19:23 quazz

Hosted a 4 player server (on D3MP4).
Max Upload: 45.5KB/s
Max Download: 36.4KB/s
The 3 other players had ping between 50-200.
I can't provide accurate up/down average because it took me sometime to start the game and get it up to 4 players. The game stayed full for more then 10 minutes. When I asked, they told me the latency was fine, it was killing my framerate when the four of us were shooting each other in the same room. But that's most likely due performance problem and it probably doesn't have much to do with the actual MP code. I was hosting this on an AthlonXP2000+, GF4ti4200 and 256MB DDR333 (that's most likely what was killing my framerate).

More then 4 players require LAN? That's bullshit. I guess I couldn't hold more then 4 players myself, but a good dedicated server on a good connection should be able to easily get a 16 players game up. For those that say the game transmit more data then other game, that's also bullshit. There is zero physics online (in D3MP4, there's cardboard box on a shelf, but I can't make it move like I can in SP). And there is nothing in this game that I haven't seen in UT (openning/closing light, shooting them, blowing up barely... could all be done easily with the proper trigger). We should see plenty of 16 players server as soon as some bigger maps start showing up (because as is, there's plenty of action with 4 players in those relatively small map).

edit: spelling
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 19:25.

102. Re: overrated Aug 5, 2004, 06:01 quazz

Sure, but some people praising the game are "way over the fucking top" too. Not to worry though, I find both group as pointless. However, I hate the fact that those praising the game for things it doesn't even do is accepted while those making up stuff to lower the game are just flamed and chased away.
I demand equal hatred.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 06:02.

100. Re: overrated Aug 5, 2004, 05:08 quazz

Is it me or has no one else noticed that the weapons don't throw light when they fire? The Rockets, BFG, Plasma Gun, nothing emits light. Now to me, a giant green ball of energy or a rocket flying through a hallway would tend to light the area up as it travels no? It's a little thing, but at big one at the same time.
DoomConfig.cfg (~/Doom 3/base/) Set line about projectile_light and muzzle_flash to "1". Those options should've been in the game menu (or always enabled).
edit: These aren't the actual name of the option, but they're close enough so it should be obvious.

pfft I dont understand it myself, If i dont like a certain game I dont go trolling on a thread directly related to that game, I'd rather just drop the whole thing and focus my time and effort on something that I DO like. Its the same story over and over, anyone remember all the Unreal fanboys slagging off quake3 on quake forums (and vice versa im sure) when UT and Q3 were released? pathetic. I mean, its like stalking almost.
You've paid for the game, you sure as hell have the right to critisize it. Especially since some people might make there final decision about buying the game or not by reading message board. Sure, "this game sucks" post are pointless, but everone I've seen in the last few days on bluesnew's forum were made by obvious trolls. Most post explained what they did like or not about the game. Discussion is the reason why we are posting comments here. And everyone sucking up to who ever made a game hardly makes up for an interesting read.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 05:10.

95. Re: Aug 5, 2004, 02:31 quazz

A few lights will go out in MP (I've only seen one model of light do this yet). Actually, they'll just start blinking. Oh, and for some reason, the game is able to draw a decal were you shoot the light, but they'll all still get the same broken texture with a hole right in the middle.

As far as your own shadow, make sure you have "seta g_showPlayerShadow" set to "1" in your DoomConfig.cfg.

89. Re: It was fun Aug 4, 2004, 22:18 quazz

but no chainsaw yet. Is it coming later?
Yes, but you're still a few hours from it

Btw, with regards to my shadow comments, they do not in any way distract from the quality of the game, which so far is great, in my opinion, although I can see that if the entire game is going to be similar to the hour I just played, it will get pretty boring by hour ten or so. I just expected more of this great shadow engine, so to speak.
I'm halfway trough the game (wich should be hour ten or so), and it just got old repetitive and boring. Just need to make it trough about 4 other hours and I should get to the last few levels of the game wich seems to be interesting [or atleast different].

I can't help but think it would've been a better game if they removed some of the redundant level (did it really need 4 alpha labs?). But I'll wait untill I finish the game to pass such judgment.

46. Re: overrated Aug 4, 2004, 14:23 quazz

don't disrespect a game when you have no taste
I'll go pass the 'my taste are better then you' crap and quote a word from your post in bold italic underlined letters; "disrespect". Respect for a computer game? Have you completely lost it?

The sound on most weapon are rather weak (even gamespy's first impression said that). It took me much more then two hour to get bored at the repetivity of it all, but I eventually got there (I'm about halfway trough the game, hopefully the last 25% of the game is in a different environment, only 3-4 hours of dull gameplay left to get there...). If there would've least be a little bit more variety in monsters, it could've kept the game slightly more fresh. But I must've killed about a thousand Imps by now. I don't even care anymore, I just run in everything with the shotgun. Maybe I can come back to it in a day or two and have some fun again...

15. Re: Expansions? Aug 4, 2004, 10:56 quazz

Its a shame that ID and the Doom 3 only supports the PC
systems that only have windows 2000 or XP on it.
And Linux.
By the way, you can still play DOOM3 with win98/me/2003, look at one of my post in yesterday 250+ post thread.

News Comments > Manhunt Plot Twist
20. Re: Oh nozers! Aug 4, 2004, 06:48 quazz

You sure have a simplified view of reality.
What could've lead him to murder someone else is not one reason (as you say, when you point out that there must be a "real reason". It's the combination of a lot of things, and among them, "bad" parenting is sure as hell much more important then a fucking computer game (especially one that he might have never played).

I'm no psychologist, but I know enough to know these things are not as black and white as to be pinpointed that easily.
Exactly, they're not black and white, so don't say there is 'one real reason' behind it all.

But isn't that the unfair thing these days? I mean, you can't disipline your child for fear of being sued for physical abuse, but if your child runs amok (as they do when they test your leadership), you are blamed for the shitty parenting. Can't win either way.
By the way, there are much better way to "disipline your child" then hitting him you retarded fuck. Use your brain once in a while, it'll do you some good.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 06:49.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3
249. If you feel like playing on win98/2k3 Aug 4, 2004, 06:34 quazz

Shamelessly stolen from the internet
DOOM3 and Windows 98SE

For those die hard Windows 98SE users like me, if you want to run DOOM3 on this operating system, follow the instructions below.

1-Download and install FS Hex Editor. http://www.searchandreplace.com/fshexedit.htm

2-Back up the original DOOM3.EXE file (safety measure)
-Go in your DOOM3 folder; default is :\Program Files\Doom 3
-Create a folder called: BACKUP
-Copy your DOOM3.EXE file in your newly created BACKUP folder.

3-Modify the original DOOM3.EXE file
-Right-click on the original DOOM3.EXE file and remove the read-only attribute.
-Start FS Hex Editor and open your original DOOM3.EXE file.
-Use the search fonction and find: GlobalMemoryStatusEx
-The string should now be highlighted.
-Your screen is divided in 2 sections; left and right.
-The left side is in Hexadecimal format and right side is in Text format.
-Go on the left side and change the last 2 hex number from: 45 78 to 00 00
*Above are zero's NOT the letter O.
-Save the file.
-Start the game.

I've played for about 20 minutes, loading previous games, running the included benchmark (timedemo demo1.demo) etc...and everything seems fine.
For windows server 2003 (may work on 98/ME): http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=1&shownews=8506
edit: They tell you to burn the CD in the last step, but I'm sure you can start the install from the files on your HD.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 06:40.

248. Re: Excellent! no spoilers, just techni Aug 4, 2004, 06:21 quazz

I'm playing in 1024x768 at medium with a GF4ti4200 (128MB).
In the benchmark, I got 17.5fps. At 800x600 at High, I got 12.5fps. I'd rather have a crisp and clean picture (higher res) then almost insignificant bump in texture quality. Then again, it's probably worth a try to play with high details and force off anisiotropic filtering (autoset to 8x using high detail).

edit: What really matters is that you have every option (about shadows and light) turned on in your doomconfig.cfg. The game is dark enough that you won't notice the difference in texture details (well, maybe at low...), but you'll want every light effects on (or your not actually playing DOOM3 'the way it's meant to be played').

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 06:23.

226. Re: No new technologies? Aug 4, 2004, 00:12 quazz

And when doom was first announced 4 years ago they were the ONLY game to introduce this technology... others FOLLOWED suit and openly admitted to it. Yes Far Cry admitted to using the same technology that id announced first with Doom3 4 years ago.
It doesn't matter who comes up with it first, it's who get it on the shelves [or release a demo] first that's relevant. And that's true for everything out there, not just game. Unless someone else would've stolen the actual technology from iD (but 'Im not seeing them sharing their engine source code).
Far Cry/Painkiller runs like shit on systems that Doom 3 runs like glass on.
Far Cry runs just as well on my PC then DOOM3. And I didn't have problem either with Painkiller either (but I couldn't be bothered yo finish the demo).

Heh, I also think that DOOM3 is a good game. But I'm not going out saying it's the best game ever made and that it's engine is the best ever and will stay one for years. I never called you a fanboy TheNarcis by the way.

220. Re: No new technologies? Aug 3, 2004, 23:43 quazz

Some store started selling it Friday - last week. And it seems to be easy to finish it in less then 20 hours.

217. Re: No new technologies? Aug 3, 2004, 23:17 quazz

And that, my felow bluesnews reader, is a fanboy.
No, I'm not even going to try. Not worth it.

203. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 22:20 quazz

Dunno (not long though), and it might change with the difficulty level. Anyway, empty those 50 (I don't think you have the plasma gun yet, but if you do, use it). I'm guessing grenade should pack a punch (I almost never use them so I had over 30). It never hit me (only the bouncing balls did), so I don't know how much damage it does, but I'm guessing going up close with the shotgun would be a bad idea.

200. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 22:05 quazz

Anyone know how to kill that Big Spider Boss at the end of Alpha labs? I cant figure it out.
Shoot it? I started it with 2 or 3 grenade and finished it off with the chaingun. Don't mind the bouncing balls, they'll die when you kill the Big spider. And umh... circle strafe and stuff...

421 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo