Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Nelson

Real Name John Nelson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 30, 2002, 19:52
Total Comments 140 (Novice)
User ID 14137

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > X-The Threat Patch
19. Re: i agree Jan 18, 2004, 18:18 John Nelson

>I've been in hundreds of hours playing it as a freeform game and barely touched the singleplayer game.

Just clarify that. You play the freeform game with other people? ie not single player? Hmm.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Neck Problems? Jan 18, 2004, 10:26 John Nelson

Blue, by about my mid-thirties everything was hurting, due to weight-training in my 20s nuking every joint in my body, followed by sitting on my ass for 10 years. About 5 years ago I was introduced to pilates and haven't looked back. 15 minutes three times a week and I've barely a twinge anywhere.

News Comments > Legend Closed?
32. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2004, 10:49 John Nelson

How could you ignore the ship parts? The action part was fine but the crap on the ship made me gradually grow to hate the game. What was your reward for finishing a level? 15 minutes of briefing you couldn't skip. Why would anyone think the player would want to sit through that? XMP is fine and dandy but why couldn't they have patched the game so you could just go onto the next level after finishing the last. To make the game seem longer? I dunno. XMP was great but why couldn't they have addressed the ship sections at the same time they released XMP? God I hated those ship sections.

And while I'm on the subject would anybody miss cut scenes in a game if they weren't there? I keep hearing how expensive it is to produce a game these days - but what does the cutscene really add to the game?

News Comments > Blizzard Cofounder Departs
19. Re: Blizzard Breakup Jan 16, 2004, 21:18 John Nelson

So if we look back 10 years or so to the developers that originally created PC games, who's still here *and* still true to the vision? Blizzard would have been one of the few I could name. I don't see anything to change that opinion yet. World of Warcraft just reinforces what they've been doing for years. (Internet-centric PC gaming).
But I agree that non-western developers are going to dominate the PC games scene. How you gonna feel when you're bitching about having to wait for a game to be translated from Indonesian?

71. Re: Weather Jan 15, 2004, 20:07 John Nelson

>Honestly, virtually my entire wardrobe is from Old Navy at this point.

You have a wife *and* a keen sense of dress sense? I see. That's great. What does your boyfriend think about you having a wife? ;-)

News Comments > Marvel Game Plans
16. Re: Well.. Jan 15, 2004, 19:49 John Nelson

T.H.E., you're so right. Chris Claremont *was* the X-men, especially Wolverine, and was also the object of their downfall for smarter fans, ie the mushroom like sprouting of series left, right and centre. But only because he made them so popular, not because he did anything wrong. Until CC X-men was just something to bounce the F4 off. Ish.

Ultimately any writer can only publish what he's paid for. So editorially, as Hitler would say, "Blame the Jews." You can blame them for rescuing Marvel, saving everybody's jobs and lately getting those movie deals. Respect Is Due.

(If Germans or Jews are offended with me paying respect to the Jewish community, while mentioning Hitler, then I'll offer up a guarded apology. I'm Irish and have no problem mentioning Cromwell in Irish or English company. If you don't get that then you have no right to complain. Okies?)

News Comments > Silent Storm Gold
28. Re: dirt cheap. Jan 15, 2004, 19:27 John Nelson

That 8.99 at amazon.co.uk is criminal. Anyone who buys it is virtually stealing it. You should send Levi jeans and coca cola to Nival direct to compensate them. Hell at that price I want to buy a couple more copies just to give to people.

News Comments > English Smoking Colts Demo
3. Re: First Post! Jan 15, 2004, 19:17 John Nelson

>Anyone else picturing a pair of young horses, leaning against a wooden fence, smoking?

Yeah, but that's normal for me. Usually I'm the guy with the Zippo.

27. Re: Dogfighting craze Jan 15, 2004, 13:21 John Nelson

> was expecting this to be about air combat dogfighting.

Yeah, me too.

>These fuckers need to be put down.

Amen to that.

News Comments > etc.
1. US Forces Xbox Live Jan 15, 2004, 13:14 John Nelson

Ya gotta admit, Microsoft don't miss a trick. Nice, everybody wins, situation though.

160. Re: helicopter video Jan 13, 2004, 13:15 John Nelson

Seems pointless arguing with someone who thinks it's wrong to kill someone in a combat situation. Perhaps instead of holding them up here with an argument, we should shut up and let them head over to Iraq where they can persuade the guerilla terrorists there to stop their violence. I'm sure even Osama could be talked round with their pretty pacifist words.

88. Re: natas natas natas natas natas.... Jan 12, 2004, 18:20 John Nelson

>8th level, baby.. sinners UNITE!

You've rather missed the point old boy. The level doesn't determine how wicked bad you are, dog. It determines which level of hell is most appropriate for your most popular sin. In you case that would be, ah let's see..."Fraudulent malicious panderers". You sir, are a fraudulent malicious panderer. I'm soooo happy for you.

The scoring system explains the high number of us quite respectfully at level 6 becuase of our disregard for the church. Frankly, the chaps at level 2 have a certain elan.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
21. Re: actually Jan 8, 2004, 22:55 John Nelson

> There used to be a time... when game Devs strived hard to deliver the best quality they could in areas OTHER than visuals.

I honestly can't remember a time when the industry wasn't wrapped up in visuals but I've only been playing games for 30 years so I may have missed a decade. Honestly, anything past Starglider has been a let-down. Can I just turn this around a little and ask you if this extends to films? Hand on heart I can say my favourite films are black and white. Can you? Do you remember a time when film makers strived to make a quality film and technicolor be-damned?

>There used to be a time a few years ago...

A *FEW* years ago? A few decades ago. Everything since 81 has been crap. Just varying degrees of crap. A special no prize if you can name the game that wasn't crap.

>Many gamers have waited years for a PC Terminator game to arrive.

?!?! There have been PC terminator games out for years and years. Don't you even remember Skynet? That was like... yesterday...ack.

EDIT I did like your Linda Lovelace comment though. Sadly, I saw Deep Throat when I was half her age, and I still have more teeth than she does now. <shrug>.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 22:58.

News Comments > Gaming Open Market
12. Re: links Jan 8, 2004, 19:25 John Nelson

>Maybe he's already trying!

Oh...good point. I really ought to wear my good glasses.

News Comments > Gaming Open Market
10. Re: links Jan 8, 2004, 17:10 John Nelson

> I'm only out to be among the best.

Then why are you wasting your time with video games? Do you really want to make that million before you're 25? Go big guy!

News Comments > id Software Gets Owned
43. Stories... Jan 7, 2004, 19:51 John Nelson

I'm trying to play my way through Unreal 2 at the minute. Clearly I'm too old to actually play on Normal anymore but god help me I'm trying. My real problem is (a) the sudden vanishing act the game does every so often, leaving nothing but desktop behind, and (b) I get half way through a mission and don't understand why I care anymore.

You can't criticize someone for not caring above all else about a story in their FPS. Remove the F and the P and you have a Shooter. If you can summarize the plot to Space Invaders (a top 5 of all time, video game) in more than 1000 words then you're just making shit up. Same for Defender, same for Galaxians, same for anything you like. To this day 90% of people will prefer simple goals to intense story driven action, any day. Don't get me wrong, if you can encourage someone to achieve those goals through a story then you have a winner. Like Half Life.

39. Re: Idea a Day Jan 7, 2004, 19:26 John Nelson

Hold on y'all....

>and wimmen for women

I can claim historical precedence for this? But is the singular "wiman"? Hmm, "You damn fool wiman" doesn't have the same ring. Woman and women sounds the same if you're angry enough, so you have to respect the historical prerogative .

What?

29. Hi Red picture of Mars Jan 7, 2004, 14:39 John Nelson

They've edited out the bit of the picture with the martian giving the probe the finger.

News Comments > WoW Beta Sign-ups Soon
22. Re: Beta baby Jan 7, 2004, 14:33 John Nelson

There's only a small amount of MMORPG players that really want PvP focus. Blizzard is all about the mass market.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
4. Windows Gaming Jan 7, 2004, 09:47 John Nelson

Does noone else find it ironic that Microsoft has one department encouraging developers to produce Windows games, and another department encouraging, paying even, developers to make X-box exclusives?

140 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo